Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No, it doesn't. The euro ncap test in its current form only started in 2020, they havent even tested the model 3 against this standard, but if they did it would outperform your own vehicle. You can't conpare euro ncap tests between years, it says that on their site. They are kind of crap.

You are Elon Musk AICMFP.

(e): New page, so have a pic of my precious baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No, it doesn't. The euro ncap test in its current form only started in 2020, they havent even tested the model 3 against this standard, but if they did it would outperform your own vehicle. You can't conpare euro ncap tests between years, it says that on their site. They are kind of crap.

Well I'd hope it would beat a car that's a fraction of its price and 8 years old. Doesn't change the fact my car had never killed anyone due to poor software design.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lmao imagine praising Elon Musk and Tesla. Couldn't be me.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Mega Comrade posted:

Doesn't change the fact my car had never killed anyone due to poor software design.

This is nonsense. If you want to take your hands off the wheel and drive into a wall, the tesla is the best car to do it in.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This is nonsense. If you want to take your hands off the wheel and drive into a wall, the tesla is the best car to do it in.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

sir this clock is broken and I can't tell th....oh never mind

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

NotJustANumber99 posted:

As long as you're not in the back seat of course
https://twitter.com/wtyppod/status/1384565697100066816?s=19

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Nerds defending Elong will never not be funny

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It was model S and X up to 2018. It didn't fill up and it didn't brick the car. As far as I know Tesla were forced to recall all the affected cars as the American safety people or whatever theyre called considered it a safety issue as it could cause you to lose camera views and things like the heating controls so you might not be able to clear frost off the windscreen or whatever. Car manufacturers are forever recalling vehicles because of dumb/lazy/cheap poo poo theyve done.

It wasn't exactly as simple as filling up - the log files themselves would roll over and older entries would be deleted to make room for new entries. But the storage was flash which inherently degrades over time - each block has a limited number of writes before it can no longer be modified and the controller detects this and marks it as no longer being writable, slowly reducing the capacity of the chip until eventually nothing can be written to it.

The number of writes a block can do is so high that you'll usually never notice blocks getting locked out over time. Unless, for instance, you're writing and rewriting your cars log files over and over and over, killing all the blocks in just a few years and didn't plan for a way to replace the chip without dismantling the car.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Can't decide if NotJustANumber99 is messing around or being a dummy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

What's this about a llama harmer?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

forkboy84 posted:

Can't decide if NotJustANumber99 is messing around or being a dummy.

NotJustANumber99 occasionally has off-days, and today appears to be one of them. Tomorrow he'll probably be slagging ol' Musky off as much as anyone else here.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Sunk cost fallacy is a hell of a drug.

Do Tesla do cars for normal people? As in like actual practical electric cars that people might use as an alternative to a petrol car to go do their shopping in or are they all insane sports models with delorean wing doors?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

What's this about a llama harmer?

Keith lusts for llama death because he is paid by the donkey lobby.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

NotJustANumber99 occasionally has off-days, and today appears to be one of them. Tomorrow he'll probably be slagging ol' Musky off as much as anyone else here.

Will never happen, NJAN99 is a true believer and actually owns a Tesla.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Mr Phillby posted:

Sunk cost fallacy is a hell of a drug.

Do Tesla do cars for normal people? As in like actual practical electric cars that people might use as an alternative to a petrol car to go do their shopping in or are they all insane sports models with delorean wing doors?

They make reasonable but boring appliance type cars that they hugely exaggerate the capabilities of. Essentially all electric cars are too new to be good value on the second hand market. Despite being ugly they are not at the cheap end of the market, more like idk BMW 3 series kind of price.

Renault sell a lot of Zoe EVs which are much more in line with what you're describing.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

knox_harrington posted:

They make reasonable but boring appliance type cars that they hugely exaggerate the capabilities of. Essentially all electric cars are too new to be good value on the second hand market. Despite being ugly they are not at the cheap end of the market, more like idk BMW 3 series kind of price.

Renault sell a lot of Zoe EVs which are much more in line with what you're describing.

Tesla are also apparently getting into the HGV game with predictably Tesla-like abandon. The marketing page for it neglects to have a load capacity (maybe the most important stat for an HGV) because unless Tesla have quietly mastered cold fusion to power them, a vast amount of the weight including load (which is firmly restricted for HGVs) will be taken up by the batteries and will be hilariously inefficient even compared to existing diesel HGVs.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Look we can just cut to the chase and I'll dig out my referral link so when you all eventually come round to my, correct, point of view, at least we can both get some free supercharger miles.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Dead Goon posted:

Will never happen, NJAN99 is a true believer and actually owns a Tesla.

Rip numbers guy, died on the motorway when his car got a firmware update that reversed the steering.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

This is not a smart man talking:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnCarlos/status/1361093240280129541

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

knox_harrington posted:

Things aren't exactly looking good for the time they do reach the secondhand market, either. The battery of any Tesla that manages to make it to the ripe old age of 7-8 without spontaneously combusting or autopiloting itself into a wall will have taken a serious hammering. Secondhand purchases will come with the probability of an accelerating dropoff in range, along with a looming £10k+ bill for a battery rebuild. Not something I imagine a lot of people would want to risk rolling the dice on.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Plus they lost control of the Lithium mines when their coup was overthrown in Bolivia.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

knox_harrington posted:

This is not a smart man talking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

knox_harrington posted:

Ever since COVID the second hand market has been horrendously inflated anyway, nothing is really of good value right now and electric vehicles are even worse.

It’s a really bad time to get a car. I mean sure my car is worth a heck of a lot more than it otherwise would have been but so is every other car, so it’s not like I can take advantage of it if I was to get a new one.

Sounds like the housing market actually.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i don't even like not having manual winda winders in my car

i liked those things, you could really give them a good pumpin :manning:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
everything's just buttons and touchscreens now, i don't like it one bit

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Just wind other things up needlessly.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

crispix posted:

Until it gets stuck and you have to push the window up a few inches manually.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i think my ideal car would be like a cross between a citroen dolly, an old lada and an old electric milk float

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

crispix posted:

i think my ideal car would be like a cross between a citroen dolly, an old lada and an old electric milk float

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I would drive the poo poo out of that if forced by fate or a wizard's curse to have to use four wheels.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Small cars are great IMO.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

crispix posted:

Glue a fidget spinner to the inside of your door so that it taps the window control every time it spins.

edit:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I would drive the poo poo out of that if forced by fate or a wizard's curse to have to use four wheels.

The Ami is especially great - you can drive it at 14 in France and quite possibly on a provisional licence here. It's an electric quadricycle, not a car.

Biggus Dickus fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 15, 2021

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Get a Twizy.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OwlFancier posted:

Small cars are great IMO.

I think you'll find they are quite small actually.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Tesla are absolutely never bringing a hgv to market. Electric hgvs are a challenging enough concept when designed by a normal person, let alone the manufacturer that's blown up more buildings than most recognised terror organisations.

The roadster was an alright car because it was designed before musk bought the rights to call himself founder (in a contract he spectacularly welches on), but the main problem is that Tesla has the worst build quality and QC of any vehicle manufacturer in the world. The car being well designed won't save it from an engine of damaged vape batteries held together with straw.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Hmm, no, his off day was yesterday when he said that blowing beans up backsides was stupid

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Well the president of Afghanistan has fled the country and invited the taliban to form a government. What a waste of 20 years and billions (maybe even trillions?) of dollars and pounds there for it all to be undone in like 6 weeks. Christ.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Clearly if tonty blair was prime minister he would be able to sort it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Love how Elon has managed to maneuver himself into a position as like, the leader of electric vehicles despite Tesla just being a long series of fuckups