Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

jassa posted:

Not exactly new, but I stumbled across this work of art today and keep rewatching it because Amity being a useless sapphic is pretty much my favourite thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ_w8SE6jNw

I like this one, with the same premise

https://youtu.be/35hHe6aQSvA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

jassa posted:

Not exactly new, but I stumbled across this work of art today and keep rewatching it because Amity being a useless sapphic is pretty much my favourite thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ_w8SE6jNw

I've seen this one before, but just noticed this time that it almost completely skips over Understanding Willow, which is a grievous injustice.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

...so when do we get to see Harpy Lilith?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Madurai posted:

...so when do we get to see Harpy Lilith?

When she and Eda fuse into GogetaEdalith to defeat SS Beserk Kikimura.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lillith strikes me as one who might actually figure out her own... crow transformation by herself. It's established she and Eda have very different learning styles, and while Eda has a lot of raw talent and creativity, she tends to struggle when working within limitations due to her stubbornness and need to do things her way, while Lillith is meticulous and systematic, looking for a way to order things. Funny thing is, I think it's King who's given key suggestions to Eda about how to use her abilities- first that they might only have found four glyphs because that's as many as there are, and then (I think) that the inner owl needs to be negotiated with, not commanded.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lilith figured out Harpy Mode like two weeks ago and just never got around to telling Eda.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Oh, we're posting Lumity? I got some Lumity from Knock Knock Knockin' on Hooty's Door.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Have we actually seen Amity at Hexside since Escaping Expulsion? She's traded in her pink for red in her casual outfit, and she was matching her Coven track previously, so maybe it's foreshadowing she might wind up multiclassing into Bard Magic?

HelleSpud posted:

So far the episode title secret messages are:

First season A WITCH LOSES A TRUE WAY
Second season SEEK THE KEY

And the key word hidden in episode messages are:

First season TWO WITCHES TORN APART, NOW ALONE; TWO HEARTS OF STONE. A CURSE OF FEATHERS AND MUD, A BETRAYAL OF BLOOD
Second season SEETHING SEAS AND PUPPET STRINGS, HE NO LONGER DREAMS

I figure the next two words are OF HOMECOMINGS, although what that would actually portend is up in the air.

Maybe Belos is a Grimwalker of Phillip he made as a companion that got left behind and went rogue, if not Phillip himself. He's not trying to get 'home' anymore, he's doing this Day of Unity now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lillith strikes me as one who might actually figure out her own... crow transformation by herself. It's established she and Eda have very different learning styles, and while Eda has a lot of raw talent and creativity, she tends to struggle when working within limitations due to her stubbornness and need to do things her way, while Lillith is meticulous and systematic, looking for a way to order things. Funny thing is, I think it's King who's given key suggestions to Eda about how to use her abilities- first that they might only have found four glyphs because that's as many as there are, and then (I think) that the inner owl needs to be negotiated with, not commanded.

Eda's real revelation seemed to be when she accepted that the owl beast wasn't the cause of all her life's problems and that actually a lot of them stem from her refusing help dealing with the curse, and then a talk with the beast. But Lilith hasn't really had any problems from the curse except from her magic loss and her one transformation. I guess Lilith's big inner revelation could come from overcoming her guilt about being the one to curse Eda in the first place?

Or maybe she just eats a bunch of voles and the owl beast is so pleased she transforms on the spot.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Maybe Belos is a Grimwalker of Phillip he made as a companion that got left behind and went rogue, if not Phillip himself. He's not trying to get 'home' anymore, he's doing this Day of Unity now.

I don't think you need to spoiler speculation. But anyway I kind of like this theory. I mean we don't know the specifics of what grimwalkers are but if they're magical constructs that maybe can't use magic, it would explain why he seemingly can't use magic without his staff, and why he's chowing down on palismen. He's made of magic but he's running out, so he wants to merge with Earth, where he claims there's lots of "wild magic" where I guess he'd be able to keep himself going much longer.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 11, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
e: poo poo, double post

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The only thing the Raven Beast asks of Lilith for Harpy Mode is to perch outside Witch Home Depot and fly at the customers as they walk out, scaring the poo poo out of them.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

TwoPair posted:

I don't think you need to spoiler speculation. But anyway I kind of like this theory. I mean we don't know the specifics of what grimwalkers are but if they're magical constructs that maybe can't use magic, it would explain why he seemingly can't use magic without his staff, and why he's chowing down on palismen. He's made of magic but he's running out, so he wants to merge with Earth, where he claims there's lots of "wild magic" where I guess he'd be able to keep himself going much longer.

Oh I missed that - when did he say there was lots of wild magic on Earth? I thought it was the opposite, and wild magic (like glyphs) didn't function on Earth. Though I guess palismen work there, so now I'm second guessing myself.

My theory up until now had been Belos wanted to merge the Boiling Isles with Earth to nullify/destroy wild magic, curing his affliction (plus world domination, etc).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

jassa posted:

Though I guess palismen work there, so now I'm second guessing myself.

Palismen have their own personal magic reserves to draw on, it's why Owlbert and [LILITH'S PALISMAN] can still do stuff despite their witches being tapped out and is probably why Hunter can do regular magic now.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Iirc one of Dana's AMAs has more details on palisman lore than what the show itself has gone into so far, if anyone's curious.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
Season 1's end credits featured luz walking left to right, a pretty common end credits sequence, used in Astro Boy, Sailor Moon, Star vs the Forces of Evil and countless others.

Season 2 is a sequence of relief carving styled illustrations. It brings to mind the JoJo's bizarre adventure end credits, does anyone know any other shows it could be referencing?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Sailor Moon?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I think its just supposed to be reminiscent of Aztex/Norse/Celtic reliefs.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Plus the show itself, the style (to me at least) looks reminiscent of Eda's wanted poster

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I was figuring it was medieval tapestry-inspired.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I treminds of the Nausicaa opening.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Covok posted:

King was rocking Asuka's dance uniform.

I caught that right away.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

angerbeet posted:

Sailor Moon?

I was thinking of the end credits of Sailor Moon R but i just looked it up and Usagi is walking right to left rather than left to right, but still, main character walking in profile is the ending credits animation in so many things, i thought season 2's medieval tapestry motif would be similarly ubiquitous, but maybe not. Its definitely reminiscent of Nausicaa, at least.

Edit: used the wrong ten dollar word there

Blackula Vs. Tarantula fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 23, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The second Star Vs outro is very extremely anime as well.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ZCILmQp-U

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Needs to end on Hooty's offended expression.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Ominous Promo Art from Dana's Twitter...

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Written by Molly + Dana sounds good.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well that was sure as heck an episode!

Vee was great, Camilla was great, the Curator was not great (in a love to hate him way, not that he was a bad character). Man, curators seem to be getting a bad rap in cartoons lately, between Amphibia and now this.

It seems like they left a whole roomful of evidence behind, but I guess they're banking on the Curator keeping his trap shut on threat of facing criminal charges/just appearing like a kook.

And it seems Belos is either one of the Wittebane brothers (likely the non-Phillip one who happened to have a Cardinal) or a descendant thereof. I wonder if that's the case for Luz's dad too, since his face was obscured but he appeared to have a similar skintone to Belos & Hunter.

Or maybe Phillip's 'brother' was a Basilisk who came to Earth & took his form, hence explaining how his descendants might have magic (although not the same level of inherent magic as regular witches). I wonder if the witch who brought them to the Isles might have been The Collector...

And Camilla's reactions were very believable, although I'm sure she might be willing to change her mind about the Isles by the end of the series.

Interestingly Eda was using the alias Marilyn on Earth, which is also the name of Stan Pines' ex-wife, who (going by his descriptions of her in the Gravity Falls DVD commentaries) sounds suspiciously like Eda...

Also Eda went Owl Beast on Earth at least once.

Moving from discussing the current episode to general theorising, I was suddenly struck by the fact that maybe the reason the Isles has been running out of Palistrom wood is because Belos has been getting a lot of it. Because he's not making another body for himself, he's going to make a Grimwalker of The Titan.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well that was sure as heck an episode!

Interestingly Eda was using the alias Marilyn on Earth, which is also the name of Stan Pines' ex-wife, who (going by his descriptions of her in the Gravity Falls DVD commentaries) sounds suspiciously like Eda...

It totally is; some of the first character art they produced was her wearing the exact outfit Stan describes. She's never worn it on the show but she does own a cup with that same logo on it, so presumably it's part of a set. Give me a three-way GF/Amphibia/Owl House crossover Disney, please and thank you.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
So I went back in this latest episode and the cube for Vee comes up when Luz says "count to five." Love that detail!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My reaction to this episode in one meme I'm too lazy to caption

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So this is what Amethyst is up to while Steven's off doing who the gently caress cares.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

So this is what Amethyst is up to while Steven's off doing who the gently caress cares.

Well, that and yelling at people in San Andreas

The adventures of "Marilyn" was something I hoped we'd be getting a lot more of since the first episode, so I'm glad we got to see at least a glimpse. We know Eda at least went to the movies some, since her reaction to "Dragonclaw Z" last episode.

Argue posted:

It totally is; some of the first character art they produced was her wearing the exact outfit Stan describes. She's never worn it on the show but she does own a cup with that same logo on it, so presumably it's part of a set. Give me a three-way GF/Amphibia/Owl House crossover Disney, please and thank you.

[/spoiler]

I think there's really no stopping it at this point.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I liked what we learned about Vee. I'm glad that "evil Luz" wasn't evil at all but kind of a mirror to Luz, going into a strange new world because her life in her old world sucked. I also liked Vee upbraiding Luz for leaving what Vee considered to be something like paradise. I suspect that Luz/Vee is more popular and gets better grades that Luz because she wanted to be the best "Luz" she kind to repay Camilla's unknowing kindness

As for Luz it was interesting that the second she established that Vee wasn't part of some evil Belos plot, she was perfectly happy to exploit her shifting ability to keep her mother in the dark for a while longer. Even after she learned that Vee was a Basilisk AKA the thing that had tried to eat Hexside. Also fun was Luz trying to warn Vee away from the "terrible" high school students and Vee just approaching them with no problem (partly because she apparently knew them from that camp). Still, it does make one wonder how much of Luz's social problem was kind of on Luz for not making real efforts to reach out to others because she was more interested in her magic/fantasy stuff.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Everyone posted:

I liked what we learned about Vee. I'm glad that "evil Luz" wasn't evil at all but kind of a mirror to Luz, going into a strange new world because her life in her old world sucked. I also liked Vee upbraiding Luz for leaving what Vee considered to be something like paradise. I suspect that Luz/Vee is more popular and gets better grades that Luz because she wanted to be the best "Luz" she kind to repay Camilla's unknowing kindness

As for Luz it was interesting that the second she established that Vee wasn't part of some evil Belos plot, she was perfectly happy to exploit her shifting ability to keep her mother in the dark for a while longer. Even after she learned that Vee was a Basilisk AKA the thing that had tried to eat Hexside. Also fun was Luz trying to warn Vee away from the "terrible" high school students and Vee just approaching them with no problem (partly because she apparently knew them from that camp). Still, it does make one wonder how much of Luz's social problem was kind of on Luz for not making real efforts to reach out to others because she was more interested in her magic/fantasy stuff.

It was the best of all possible outcomes for V in that her first experience on Earth was going to "how to be a normal human" class.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Madurai posted:

It was the best of all possible outcomes for V in that her first experience on Earth was going to "how to be a normal human" class.

Also convenient that Camila drove her there so she could pick up on all her mannerisms/learn through context what Luz is "supposed" to act like so that when she came back it wouldn't seem suspicious. Also probably picked up enough Spanish to keep up whenever Camila starts mixing in stuff here and there.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TwoPair posted:

Also convenient that Camila drove her there so she could pick up on all her mannerisms/learn through context what Luz is "supposed" to act like so that when she came back it wouldn't seem suspicious. Also probably picked up enough Spanish to keep up whenever Camila starts mixing in stuff here and there.

I hope we occasionally touch base with Vee and Camilla occasionally with the idea of seeing Camilla "adopting" Vee as a second daughter.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Poor Luz. That promise, man. That promise.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

paradoxGentleman posted:

Poor Luz. That promise, man. That promise.

Yeah it's such an unfair promise, but they were both in panic mode and her mum had no idea what she was asking Luz to give up.

So, I figure we'll see a couple of episodes of Luz in full procrastination mode, avoiding working on the next portal door and jumping at every chance to go off on other adventures (with Amity). And possibly some internal conflict once she discovers Belos wants to merge the worlds, since technically that would let her keep her promise and her Amit- I mean friends.

Vee's origin story is intriguing - I forget the exact wording but Belos somehow brought multiple basilisks back from extinction (cloning? resurrection?) just to study how they drain magic. Makes me wonder if the Owlbeast was another victim of his experiments & studies, given the way it interacts with magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

jassa posted:

Yeah it's such an unfair promise, but they were both in panic mode and her mum had no idea what she was asking Luz to give up.

So, I figure we'll see a couple of episodes of Luz in full procrastination mode, avoiding working on the next portal door and jumping at every chance to go off on other adventures (with Amity). And possibly some internal conflict once she discovers Belos wants to merge the worlds, since technically that would let her keep her promise and her Amit- I mean friends.

Vee's origin story is intriguing - I forget the exact wording but Belos somehow brought multiple basilisks back from extinction (cloning? resurrection?) just to study how they drain magic. Makes me wonder if the Owlbeast was another victim of his experiments & studies, given the way it interacts with magic.

Remember, we saw the Owl Beast's origin in Hooty's Door. It got caught by the Collector, shoved into a scroll that fell into the ocean, washed up on a beach, got picked up and then put up for sale in the night market, where Lillith bought it and used it on Eda.