Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
Was listening to CNN on a drive to get lunch and boy the libs are trying to blame Trump but the correspondents et al are all like "??? but Biden said it'd be easy and then hosed it up???" so lol. Of course they're coming at it from a "what if we stayed there forever" approach but they're not letting Biden blame Trump for the clusterfuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It is pretty funny that what finally gets the neo con media to turn on Biden a little is his holding the bag when Afghanistan finally imploded.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Pamela Springstein posted:

now that the war is over we can afford healthcare. well done everyone.

If the squad or Bernie aren't bought out somebody should submit a bill allocating whatever we were spending on Afganistan to MFA

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Eggplant Squire posted:

It is pretty funny that what finally gets the neo con media to turn on Biden a little is his holding the bag when Afghanistan finally imploded.

opposite but equal to trump suddenly becoming "presidential" when he had a couple of hangars bombed

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
There is a considerable amount of blame to put on trump for not giving a single poo poo about afghanistan after he had to be told by laura Ingraham on live TV we can't just go in there and steal all their oil. 4 years of unchecked force buildup for the taliban, antifa could learn a thing or two.

Objectively biden did the best thing and anyone saying it's bad is doing so in incredibly bad faith as an imperialist thirsting for forever colonization.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
Honestly it looks like most people are seriously underestimating how much this damages American credibility in general. You cannot spin this, and the Biden admin is caught holding the bag. The clicks and algorithms will overwrite the state department trying to bury this and the Streisand Effect will kick in. It's simply too profitable to leave this story on the table.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

lol there was a reddit post i saw a month or two ago where a bunch of people earnestly posted things along the lines of "i think afghanistan was a success because we got bin laden", never underestimate the power of propaganda and how stupid americans can be

This argument was made verbatim today by the former Danish Defense Minister in a statement to the media :v: I guess he's a redditor.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

This will literally be the only good thing Biden does in his presidency and the media is gonna poo poo all over him forever about it.

It rules.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Malaria posted:

This will literally be only good thing Biden does in his presidency and the media is gonna poo poo all over him forever about it.

It rules.

lmao at Sleepy Joe sound bite about the strong confident 300k central government army.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Malaria posted:

This will literally be the only good thing Biden does in his presidency and the media is gonna poo poo all over him forever about it.

It rules.

lol good. gently caress him

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Judakel posted:

lol good. gently caress him

Sleepy Joe was a failed primary candidate for years but now he has the honor of being failed president.

SAD!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

There is a considerable amount of blame to put on trump for not giving a single poo poo about afghanistan after he had to be told by laura Ingraham on live TV we can't just go in there and steal all their oil. 4 years of unchecked force buildup for the taliban, antifa could learn a thing or two.

Objectively biden did the best thing and anyone saying it's bad is doing so in incredibly bad faith as an imperialist thirsting for forever colonization.

https://www.dpc.senate.gov/dpcdoc.cfm?doc_name=fs-110-2-135

Since 2002, Senate Democrats have been pushing for a greater focus on Afghanistan.As early as the spring of 2002, Senator Biden, Ranking Member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, called for strengthening our resolve in the fight in Afghanistan. Speaking on the Senate floor, he warned, "the very same conditions that enabled the Taliban to come to power in the mid-1990s are rapidly emerging again...Unless we take a serious look at our policy, I greatly fear we may be setting the stage for a tragic replay of recent Afghan history." Again, in the fall of 2003, after the U.S. invasion of Iraq, Senator Biden cautioned against taking our eye off the ball in Afghanistan: "With our attention focused on Iraq, we run the risk of overlooking the alarming deterioration of security in Afghanistan. In both countries, the projection of American military power was decisive, but we have fallen short in demonstrating the staying power necessary to achieve stability." (Senator Biden, Statement on the Senate Floor, 5/17/05;New York Times, 10/1/03; National Security Network, 7/15/08) 

:thunk:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

GoLambo posted:

Honestly it looks like most people are seriously underestimating how much this damages American credibility in general. You cannot spin this, and the Biden admin is caught holding the bag. The clicks and algorithms will overwrite the state department trying to bury this and the Streisand Effect will kick in. It's simply too profitable to leave this story on the table.

They shouldn't have left while there was such a lull in the news. Like at least pull out in the middle of Olympics while there's something to draw clicks. But everyone's bored of the election, bored of 1/6, etc. what else was there for click- and view-starved news stations to do than double down on Afghanistan when it popped back up?

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

500 good dogs posted:

They shouldn't have left while there was such a lull in the news. Like at least pull out in the middle of Olympics while there's something to draw clicks. But everyone's bored of the election, bored of 1/6, etc. what else was there for click- and view-starved news stations to do than double down on Afghanistan when it popped back up?

well the original plan was 9/11 right? By that point this would probably have been a preferable distraction from having to talk about locking down again

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Look you don't have to be all diffident because I didn't say biden is a pee pee doo doo child molestor.

It's a thanos finger snap situation folks. lovely dude doing the objectively correct thing that does not change him being lovely.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Malaria posted:

It rules.
biden didnt do anything the taliban did all the work

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
If Biden sends thousands of troops back in I don't think it counts as good anymore.

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

comedyblissoption posted:

You do in this case have to hand it to them I guess

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

He's not used doing during the actual work, similar to how he won the dem primary.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1426983297494790145?s=19

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

just when the majority of americans were getting sick of the forever war, they manufactured an event that will be screamed about every time people want them to stop any war. no matter what it will be “yeah but what about what happened in afghanistan?”

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Oh good biden is working very hard to erase the only good thing he's done this presidency.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Lmfao at everyone that thought Biden was actually going to get us out.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Well that was quick.

Afghanistan is still a wild ride 20 years later.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
occupying a single airtstrip with 1000's of troops

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

so that means we now have more troops in afghanistan than we’ve had since July of 2020

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Organ Fiend posted:

Lmfao at everyone that thought Biden was actually going to get us out.

I'm sorry, I admit my biden victory parade after 12 hours of foreverwar ending was a bit hasty.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Bender: Ahh hahaha, you thought Biden was going to get us out of Afghanistan!

Leela: *looks angry*

Bender: Oh wait, you seriously thought he wanted to. Let me laugh even harder.

HAAAA HAHAHAHAA

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Surge baby surge, we can still win this!

https://www.foreign.senate.gov/hearings/afghanistan-time-for-a-new-strategy

Joe Biden, in 2007 posted:

BIDEN: Success in Afghanistan is Still Possible … if We Surge Forces Anywhere, it Should be in Afghanistan, not Iraq.

Today we face an issue “at the very heart of our war on terror: the deteriorating security conditions in Afghanistan. If current trends continue, we may soon find that our hard-won success on the battlefield has melted away.”

I didn’t write these words in preparation for this morning’s hearing. I spoke them nearly five years ago, on the floor of the United States Senate. [May 17, 2002]

I’m not bringing up old quotes to say, “I told you so,” but to make a simple point: the situation in Afghanistan is not an unforeseen circumstance. Plenty of military and civilian officials have been predicting exactly this outcome for years.

What’s the state of play? Osama bin Laden remains at large, right across the border in Pakistan in all probability. There are reports that he’s reconstituted his terrorist training camps. Given the chance to kill him at Tora Bora, the administration instead pulled most of our Special Forces, our CIA teams and Predators and sent them to Iraq.

The Taliban is back -- and keeping much of Afghanistan ungovernable. Suicide bombings, IEDs and other techniques imported from Iraq made last year the bloodiest since their ouster.

The government of Pakistan turns a blind eye to the Taliban cross-border attacks, and to the high command based in Quetta. Just last year, the government signed a “separate peace” with pro-Taliban militias in Waziristan.

Afghan reconstruction is stuck in first gear. President Bush promised a Marshall Plan, but he's delivered less development aid in the past five years than we spend on the war in Iraq every three weeks.

Last year Afghanistan produced 92% of the world’s opium. The proceeds prop up the Taliban, warlords and corrupt officials. There’s no serious counter-narcotics program. If the Administration pursues a poorly-conceived aerial poppy eradication plan, the results could be even worse.

Don’t get me wrong—we’ve accomplished some great things. Because of our efforts, millions of Afghan children are in school today. We’ve built roads and clinics. We’ve got American troops in Provincial Reconstruction Teams showing that the US military can be a wonderful friend as well as a fearsome enemy.

President Bush last month made two encouraging statements. First, he announced the deployment of an additional combat brigade to Afghanistan. This is important, because our NATO commanders desperately need not only several thousand battle-ready troops, but the helicopters, transport aircraft, and other military hardware that go with them. Second, he pledged $11.8 billion in new funding over the next two years. If these figures represent new funding in addition to currently-budgeted numbers, and if we focus on projects which bring real improvement to the lives of ordinary Afghans—this may be the start of a more successful strategy.

I certainly hope so. Because in Afghanistan, success still is possible. Failure is not thinkable. How can we turn things around? Very briefly, we need to do three things:

First, establish security. If we should be surging forces anywhere, it’s in Afghanistan, not Iraq. NATO troops are necessary, but not sufficient. We’ve also got to train the Afghan police and army—which means, for starters, paying them decent salaries.

Second, we have get moving on reconstruction. We need more funds, and we need to use them better. The Afghans are patient, but they’re not seeing reconstruction worthy of a superpower. As Gen. Eikenberry has said, “Where the road ends, the Taliban begins.”

Third, do counter-narcotics right. We should target multimillion-dollar drug kingpins, not the dollar-a-day opium farmers. Someday aerial eradication may have a place—but not until we’ve got alternate livelihoods set up for those growing poppy, and a judicial system capable of taking down the drug barons. Until then, we should focus on the top of the food-chain, not the bottom.

We have three witnesses today who can explain these issues in detail, with authority and expertise. First, we have Richard Boucher the Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asia. We all know and respect him as a straight shooter.

Next we have Gen. James Jones who recently retired from the U.S. Marine Corps. Gen. Jones was the commander of NATO until early this year, and he supervised the 23 Alliance’s expansion to include responsibility for all of Afghanistan. And then we have Ambassador James Dobbins, currently at the RAND Corporation, who has served as Special Envoy for Afghanistan. In the immediate aftermath of 9/11, he served as liaison to the Afghan forces fighting alongside our troops to bring down the Taliban. Gentlemen welcome and I’ll now turn it over to Sen. Lugar for his opening statement.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
can i put this here

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

I'm sorry, I admit my biden victory parade after 12 hours of foreverwar ending was a bit hasty.

Sleepy Joe is already planning a few new hospital bombings to make up to the liberal media.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

They've been testing out either 'Trump was responsible, Biden had no agency' or 'Nobody even cares about this anyways, why are you still talking about it?'' I'm thinking the latter becomes the party line. Everyone knew Afghanistan was a lost cause years ago so the only reason to make a big deal out of this is to own the libs, you childish leftist
im thinking it'll land on a vague mix of "we mustn't score points on each other when the women of afghanistan are suffering" and some "we've done all we can" washing of hands

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Asproigerosis posted:

Look you don't have to be all diffident because I didn't say biden is a pee pee doo doo child molestor.

It's a thanos finger snap situation folks. lovely dude doing the objectively correct thing that does not change him being lovely.

You may have a point if Biden hadn't gone out of his way to say, "LISTEN, JACK, THIS IS NO SAIGON, JACK, IT'S A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ANIMAL, JACK," only for helicopters to start taking off from the embassy in a perfect mirror.

That torpedoes the whole thing.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

R. Mute posted:

im thinking it'll land on a vague mix of "we mustn't score points on each other when the women of afghanistan are suffering" and some "we've done all we can" washing of hands

Oh poo poo, you're right, I completely forgot the 'think of the women you monster!' angle

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

the airport is apparently under fire but sure, pour more people in

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Didn't Kabul mostly surrender already how are they getting those guys in?

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the airport is apparently under fire but sure, pour more people in

Afghanistan NG+ Any% "Fall of Saigon" Speedrun

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Eggplant Squire posted:

Didn't Kabul mostly surrender already how are they getting those guys in?
I assume in the dumbest way possible but I can't imagine what that is.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Malaria posted:

It rules.

could not agree more. if he had just pulled out and every happened just the same it would have been fine, but the fact that biden delayed to make sure all the plans were in place and then gave press conferences about how this wasn't going to happen we now end up with the win-win of pulling out and sleepy joe being humiliated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Jon Irenicus posted:

Afghanistan NG+ Any% "Fall of Saigon" Speedrun

So one of the runners figured out that if you force feed Biden ice cream it overflows his memory banks and causes him to glitch out and confuse the war with old movies he's seen. Ok so now he's ranting about his precious bodily fluids, we're right on track here. And there's the order for the atomic bomb, get ready.....and time!