Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Orgeat is so easy to make I can’t believe people buy it. You just make a 1:1 syrup out of almond milk and add a touch of orange blossom water. I make 8oz at a time and it probably costs like $1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yeah, I really ought to make my own. All the quick version recipes I have seen call for cognac, surely I can substitute an overproof rum for that?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah, I really ought to make my own. All the quick version recipes I have seen call for cognac, surely I can substitute an overproof rum for that?
Yeah this is the one I came up with. Almond extract is optional depending on how powerful you want it to be.

1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
2 teaspoon Wray & nephew
1 teaspoon orange flower water
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Pinch of salt

Warm until everything is dissolved, store cold.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Coffee and grappa was awful. Top's brand sugar free cherry sparkling beverage and grappa was also awful.

Thankfully, the bottle is now empty.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Missing Name posted:

Coffee and grappa was awful. Top's brand sugar free cherry sparkling beverage and grappa was also awful.

Thankfully, the bottle is now empty.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Liquid Intelligence. It’s a bit dense but it actually tells you what happens when you mix a drink and dispels a lot of myths about shaking, stirring, etc.

I don't like Liquid intelligence too much a lot of the recipes in there require a lot of specialty equipment. I would recommend Cocktail Codex, Be Your own Bartender or if you like tiki a lot Smugglers Cove.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

LionYeti posted:

I don't like Liquid intelligence too much a lot of the recipes in there require a lot of specialty equipment.

I don't think you "get" Dave Arnold.

I would also suggest "Drink What You Want" from John DeBarry, which really covers the philosophical side of things.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

LionYeti posted:

I don't like Liquid intelligence too much a lot of the recipes in there require a lot of specialty equipment. I would recommend Cocktail Codex, Be Your own Bartender or if you like tiki a lot Smugglers Cove.

The first few chapters of Liquid Intelligence that just break down things like shaking vs stirring ought to have been a part of a treatise already and it’s still worth it as a reference for anyone who has more than one cocktail book imho. I’m not insane or rich enough I’ll ever own a rotovap, but I did get a whipping siphon because of Dave Arnold and I’ve used it a ton for infusions and I’m glad I did. Reading about really unreasonable stuff to do at home like using liquid nitrogen or a centrifuge is a good way to make other things like carbonation and clarification seem reasonable

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Tonight I made a bunch of King's Jubilees, and for some I used gin instead of rum. And you know what? Even though I'm a rum enthusiast, gin is better in this drink.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dave Arnold specifically says in the book that he doesn’t expect the average reader to buy all of the possible equipment listed in the book, and outright refuses to give detailed instructions on his electric heating rod due to the potential danger.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Ordered a black rider last night and it was not very good at all. I gotta go back and ask what brands were used. After the first sip we agreed it needed a touch of orange bitter which only helped marginally.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Booties posted:

Ordered a black rider last night and it was not very good at all. I gotta go back and ask what brands were used. After the first sip we agreed it needed a touch of orange bitter which only helped marginally.

How did it taste?

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Mr. Wiggles posted:

How did it taste?

It was the end of a long shift so I was pretty tired and can’t remember the details well. It was a dark brown color and had a rich flavor and thick mouth feel.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is it possible to freeze syrups? I would love to not have to keep making them up if there is a way to make huge batches and keep.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Bape Culture posted:

Is it possible to freeze syrups? I would love to not have to keep making them up if there is a way to make huge batches and keep.

I would be concerned with your sugar falling out of solution and recrystallizing.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah, you might get chunky sugar crystals forming though, depends what is in it.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Tonight I made a bunch of King's Jubilees, and for some I used gin instead of rum. And you know what? Even though I'm a rum enthusiast, gin is better in this drink.

Isn't that essentially an aviation modulo creme de Violette?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Missing Name posted:

I would be concerned with your sugar falling out of solution and recrystallizing.

I’m having this trouble anyway. It’s doing my head in. Just spent an hour trying to clean out my bottles haha.

Ginger syrup and my old fashioned syrup are what I’d like to store.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I put a half ounce of 151 rum in all my syrups and they last for months (and counting) in the fridge.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

I put a half ounce of 151 rum in all my syrups and they last for months (and counting) in the fridge.

Yeah, I recently learned this and it’s a great trick. Related to this, Private Reserve gets mentioned here now and then. Very cheap way to preserve vermouth and other wines for much longer; it’s a can if nitrogen gas you can spray into a bottle to displace the oxygen and forestall oxidation.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Yeah I bought all my syrups in February, put a shot of vodka in each one after opening it for the first time and nothing has shown any sign of going bad yet. Definitely will not buy 750ml bottles next time though!

Also I tried an Oceanside last night and really, really liked it.

2 oz gin
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 oz simple syrup
Dash of celery bitters
Pinch of sea salt

Shake with ice and strain into a chilled coup.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Carillon posted:

Isn't that essentially an aviation modulo creme de Violette?

Yes but traditionally with white rum. Proportions were 2 rum, 3/4 maraschino, 1/2 lemon, cherry garnish. It's really good with regular Bacardi, even better with Wray and Nephew (though strong), but the drink was really just better with gin.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Booties posted:

It was the end of a long shift so I was pretty tired and can’t remember the details well. It was a dark brown color and had a rich flavor and thick mouth feel.

I mean, it's not for everyone. Mezcal and Cynar are big, bold flavors. But give it another shot.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Mmmm, I love Cynar cocktails. I just can't handle mezcal. I also don't like tequilas at all, do that's probably part of it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Guys. I just made a double Painkiller and I am in heaven. Tastes just like the one I had at this nice Tiki Bar a while back.

4oz Overproof Rum
3oz Pineapple Juice
1oz Orange Juice
1 1/2 Cream of Coconut
Healthy pinch of Nutmeg

Carillon
May 9, 2014

That sounds very nice! I just made one yesterday, there must be something in the air. I tend to like my orange juice in cocktails with a bit more backbone, so I acidulated mine, but it's a great tasting cocktail all around.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Bape Culture posted:

I usually make more syrup that will fill my squeeze bottle and freeze the excess. I always add some high proof liquor too. So the combination of high sugar and alcohol lowers the freezing point it rarely freezes all the way stored in the freezer. Despite that I feel like it's "saving" it better. I make sure to thaw all the way before re-filling squeeze bottle bc I want an even solution not affected by the freezing. I never actually see any re-crystallization like someone said. Where I do see re-crystallization is any drips down the side of the squeeze bottle nozzle, that re-crystallizes like a mother fucker.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 16, 2021

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
This bottle of green chartreuse is doing work. Made a last word tonight and I think this may be my all-time favorite cocktail. Looking forward to having a naked and famous (mezcal, aperol, green chartreuse, lime) next. I had a bijou the other night and I wasn’t a huge fan, but it was a little close to bed time. I think it’s more of an evening starter than a nightcap.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Booties posted:

This bottle of green chartreuse is doing work. Made a last word tonight and I think this may be my all-time favorite cocktail. Looking forward to having a naked and famous (mezcal, aperol, green chartreuse, lime) next. I had a bijou the other night and I wasn’t a huge fan, but it was a little close to bed time. I think it’s more of an evening starter than a nightcap.

If you like the last word, give a final ward a shot. Also a chartreuse swizzle…and a diamond back(danger! Delicious danger)

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Naked and Famous and Diamondback are both made with yellow Chartreuse. Do what you want of course, I can't stop you, but a Diamondback with green Chartreuse sounds undrinkably boozy.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The Bandit posted:

If you like the last word, give a final ward a shot. Also a chartreuse swizzle…and a diamond back(danger! Delicious danger)

I've made like 3 Improved Chartreuse Swizzles in my life and every one of them was transcendent. It's probably my favorite decadent cocktail.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
One other possible cocktail to consider with Chartreuse, the Purgatory:

2 1⁄2 oz Rye, Rittenhouse
3⁄4 oz Bénédictine
3⁄4 oz Herbal liqueur, Green Chartreuse

it's a pretty insane cocktail--the epitome of strong sweet--but I was on a kick where I had one of these about once a week about a decade ago. Also despite being a bit oversized, you ought to drink it fairly quickly since you can actually taste the ingredients start to separate apart after just about a half an hour

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Carillon posted:

That sounds very nice! I just made one yesterday, there must be something in the air. I tend to like my orange juice in cocktails with a bit more backbone, so I acidulated mine, but it's a great tasting cocktail all around.

I've only been using bottled orange juice, when I get to a grocery store I'm going to pick up some real oranges. I made another Painkiller again, switched up the rum though. Plantation "O.F.T.D." Overproof tastes like the Painkiller that I've had in many bars, Smith & Cross that I used today gives it a nice funky, rotten, topical rubbery taste that I really liked. Might make another one tomorrow with 1.5oz of each.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's been a few months since I've had a bottle of Smitty, I need to get another one. Maybe two. It's my desert island spirit.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

prayer group posted:

Naked and Famous and Diamondback are both made with yellow Chartreuse. Do what you want of course, I can't stop you, but a Diamondback with green Chartreuse sounds undrinkably boozy.

I've had one (1) Diamondback, and I made it with Yellow Chartreuse. I don't believe one needs both colors of Chartreuse when the green is obviously the superior, so I suppose I should put my money where my mouth is and try a Diamondback+ someday soon.

e: D-d-doublepost (I had too many tabs open).

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I don't think the diamondback is a particularly good drink to begin with, but that's personal preference. IMO The issue with the Diamondback is precisely that people overdo it and use green chartreuse and/or Laird's 100 which makes the drink an overly hot, overly sweet mess. A hotter rye, like rittenhouse, is worth using because it gets diluted down over time and it's the primary spirit that's probably most similar to what they used at the time. If you amp the other ingredients up alongside that there's just too much going on.

It was made in 1951, and it specifically calls for applejack, not apple brandy. By this time we're in post-war industrialized America and the days of applejack being anything close to its original form are long gone. The applejack it was made with was certainly Laird's, and by then the recipe was probably the same thing we have now - so just use that. Maybe use The Straight 86, but the BIB is going to be adding too much octane as well as more woody tannins into an already bold drink. And Yellow Chartreuse isn't "inferior" to green in any way. They're entirely different, each are lovely spirits with their own application and the Diamondback and Naked and Famous are good examples of that -- they're both worse off with Green Chartreuse.

Like I said, I don't think it's a particularly good drink to begin with, but I also think it's a case where the modern trend of "well we'll just assume it's better with stronger "better" stuff in it" does the drink no favors at all.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 17, 2021

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

Kenning posted:

I've made like 3 Improved Chartreuse Swizzles in my life and every one of them was transcendent. It's probably my favorite decadent cocktail.

This is the way, one of my fave cocktails so I must try this. Usually I make them with just lime falernum mint and chartreuse. sometimes with gin sometimes rum.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Gotta step up to defend yellow Chartreuse here. It's better than Strega and Galliano and whatever else you'd put in its category. My wife likes it more than the green stuff, and it's necessary to make an Alaska, one of her favorite drinks. Try one if you need to be convinced of yellow Chartreuse's merits:

Alaska
2oz London dry gin
1oz yellow Chartreuse
2 dashes orange bitters
Stir, coupe, lemon twist.

Is this a Chartreuse martini? Yes. Is it unnecessarily boozy? Yes. Does it taste like a sumptuous mouthful of delicate flower petals? Absolutely. If it's a little too intense for you, you might do like I do sometimes and split the Chartreuse with a dry sherry. Dries the drink out nicely and adds some extra complexity.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I formally retract my dismissal of yellow Chartreuse, that was dumb drunkposting lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Found some cute glasses at the goodwill today