Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Slight second game spoilers wasn't the budget for the second game relatively low compared to the first one? Which is why all the animated sequenced are in-engine rather than anime, and why so many characters and locations repeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
1-5: "This invention is not grounds for valid evidence."
"Oh, but the jury summation didn't finish yet, and only their thoughts matter in the end."

Holy poo poo, this is some AA prosecution level bullshit being pulled by the defense's side.

Edit: lmfao at the ad hominem tantrum van Zieks threw immediately afterwards.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 15, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Slight second game spoilers wasn't the budget for the second game relatively low compared to the first one? Which is why all the animated sequenced are in-engine rather than anime, and why so many characters and locations repeat

yeah, 2-3 is pretty much the only case with an actual budget

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

I mean, you experienced it with the fan tl knowing a second game was coming. In Japan, there was basically no guarantee that there would be a sequel. One was not immediately announced or promised. The first game obviously plants sequel hooks, of course, but it also did not sell very well. Shu Takumi had to argue with Capcom a ton to get one greenlit.

There was also a two year gap between the release of 1 and 2

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That was more because Spirit of Justice came out in 2016.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Araxxor posted:

1-5: "This invention is not grounds for valid evidence."
"Oh, but the jury summation didn't finish yet, and only their thoughts matter in the end."

Holy poo poo, this is some AA prosecution level bullshit being pulled by the defense's side.

Edit: lmfao at the ad hominem tantrum van Zieks threw immediately afterwards.

1-5: nah, Van Zieks doesn't really have a point. He's right, it's not decisive "this Eggbert guy absolutely was there" evidence like say a DNA test for all the reasons he expounds, but it absolutely is reasonable grounds to find this fellow and have him testify. Additionally the basic workings of the magical technicolour luminol could be tested in court in like 5 minutes, to show that yes it's magical luminol that can distinguish between people.

Not that the jury isn't a gaggle of morons, mind you.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

There was also a two year gap between the release of 1 and 2

Yeah the two year gap was what I meant when I said I experienced it that way. I did not know the sequel's future was initially so uncertain though!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
1-5 What I'm wondering is how did he manage to bleed all over the disk while wearing gloves? And if he ripped them, shouldn't anyone have mentioned that?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the way 2-5 highlights the (everpresent but more apparent here) found family aspects of the story really made me wonder about ryunosuke's japanese family. does he have alive parents? relatives?? do they care about him??? did anyone even notice he left japan for a study tour????

it is standard ace attorney practise not to talk about extraneous characters like family unless they're relevant, but it's really extra apparent in this case. i guess we could safely assume ryunosuke to be not in touch with his family due to whatever circumstances and living alone at the time of the first game's start and it's not that weird though

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
1-5: I sure do hope that I never have to actually do anything with this stereoscope photo thing, because the way Iris explained to do it is physically impossible for me, yay. :sigh:

I say "hope" but they wouldn't have explained it in such detail if it wasn't gonna happen... Good thing Story Mode exists to skip past that stuff when it crops up, I guess.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lotus Aura posted:

1-5: I sure do hope that I never have to actually do anything with this stereoscope photo thing, because the way Iris explained to do it is physically impossible for me, yay. :sigh:

I say "hope" but they wouldn't have explained it in such detail if it wasn't gonna happen... Good thing Story Mode exists to skip past that stuff when it crops up, I guess.

I think everything you need is relatively spottable in a Find The Differences kind of way.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Lotus Aura posted:

Oh don't worry there's basically a different built in cheat they ported in for those segments and you can clearly tell they threw up their hands at porting the 3D segments to other systems.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Lotus Aura posted:

you never have to do it if you don’t want to; I assume this is because on the 3DS they were explaining the mechanics of the slider and they need to take up that space with something else

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Amppelix posted:

the way 2-5 highlights the (everpresent but more apparent here) found family aspects of the story really made me wonder about ryunosuke's japanese family. does he have alive parents? relatives?? do they care about him??? did anyone even notice he left japan for a study tour????

it is standard ace attorney practise not to talk about extraneous characters like family unless they're relevant, but it's really extra apparent in this case. i guess we could safely assume ryunosuke to be not in touch with his family due to whatever circumstances and living alone at the time of the first game's start and it's not that weird though

I assume his family situation is the same as Nick's; they're alive and well and he just has no reason to ever bring them up. Maybe it's a Wright/Naruhodo thing, because they're just about the only main characters whose families never come up. Like, of all the other prosecutors, sidekicks and defense attorneys, the only one whose family we never hear from is Godot.

If Ryunosuke had a troubled or tragic home life, it would probably have warranted some mention when he's hanging with Gina and Iris and they're bonding over their respective parent situations.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 15, 2021

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i mean, the clear difference there is that phoenix doesn't have 50 days of sea voyage between him and his (presumed) family, while ryunosuke does, so it seems rather like a much bigger deal

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You don't know that! Maybe Nick's folks are also back in Japan and he can never afford a plane ticket. They could easily be a month's travel away.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

phoenix being perpetually unable to afford a plane ticket is so perfectly consistent with the canon that i have to concede you might be right lol

and yes i know he took a plane in AA6 but let's ignore that

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Amppelix posted:

phoenix being perpetually unable to afford a plane ticket is so perfectly consistent with the canon that i have to concede you might be right lol

I am sure Japaniphornia has good high-speed rail, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Amppelix posted:

and yes i know he took a plane in AA6 but let's ignore that

Edgeworth paid for it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
End of 2-3: Well everything I predicted seems to have come true. The game is ramping up fast, I'm legit kind of wondering how they're going to fill out two more cases.

Beginning of 2-4: Judge Jigoku in a business suit rather than that judge getup is looking spicy as heck.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
1-5 Trial: Holy poo poo Juror No 6. :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lotus Aura posted:

1-5 Trial: Holy poo poo Juror No 6. :allears:

Just tell the man where the Crystal Tower is.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Edgeworth paid for it.

I'd put my money on Maya, because the last thing Edgeworth would want is having Phoenix Wright near more magic bullshit

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Currently going through 2-5, and man is Jigoku just showing himself more and more to be an rear end in a top hat. It's just making it inevitably so much more satisfying for when Ryunosuke finally unveils all his bullshit here.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

2-3 Doggy :3:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i beat it, what a good god drat video game

i'm now even more excited for the inevitable AA7, if that was even possible. i just hope they don't do a second soft continuity reset if takumi rejoins the writing team, i need more athena

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I would be fine with Athena and a soft continuity reset at the same time because Phoenix has had his time.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's going to be called Trucy Wright Ace Magician and will deal with Athena's murky backstory and never mention Trucy and Apollo being siblings.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm honestly more excited for whatever project Shu Takumi is working on. I'm not sure what exactly it is, but after playing Great Ace Attorney it's pretty clear he and/or his team have a magic touch that I've felt the 3DS/Edgeworth games lacked.

Plus AA7 will probably contain little to no Apollo, which is not a draw for me.

E: I'm fine with retiring Nick or relegating him to the background, and if Takumi is actually involved with AA7 it will obviously be good. Like even Layton versus Phoenix Wright was extremely solid any time Phoenix/Maya were running the show.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 15, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

2-3's second investigation is so loving long, holy poo poo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm honestly more excited for whatever project Shu Takumi is working on. I'm not sure what exactly it is, but after playing Great Ace Attorney it's pretty clear he and/or his team have a magic touch that I've felt the 3DS/Edgeworth games lacked.

Plus AA7 will probably contain little to no Apollo, which is not a draw for me.

E: I'm fine with retiring Nick or relegating him to the background, and if Takumi is actually involved with AA7 it will obviously be good. Like even Layton versus Phoenix Wright was extremely solid any time Phoenix/Maya were running the show.

Yamazaki left Capcom about a year ago and Takumi is officially noted as Series Director in the GAAC announcement video, so it's very likely Takumi's brought the A team back on the main games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

great ace attorney 3

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Endorph posted:

great ace attorney 3
Great Ace Attorney 3: The Adventures of Ryutaro Naruhodo

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh yeah, now that i've seen all of the game:

Amppelix posted:

I actually took the constant highlighting of this this as (entirety of 1-5 spoilers)the game alluding to the fact that stronghart (or someone else in power) deliberately arranged the jury to ensure that mr eggs benedict would be found out for his crimes in court, because they clearly wouldn't want him to get away with the sensitive government information stealing bit.

I haven't finished game 2 yet so if this is actually the case i have no idea
this ended up never being brought up again, but i'm still convinced i'm right about what the game was implying here. like at one point ryunosuke literally says "it feels like something's wrong here" in regards to the telegraph lady being on the jury and just so happening to know graydon so he can be summoned to the stand. i feel like this is a plot point they seeded here but decided against actually exploring in the sequel

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
That still doesn't explain (1-5) Borshevik, pointed out to not even be a citizen of England, ending up on the jury unless they needed him because he just so happened to have something kind of similar happen to him as what happened to Sholmes. Maybe that part specifically was just a joke but it kind of undermines the idea that the jury was intentionally selected

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

somepartsareme posted:

That still doesn't explain (1-5) Borshevik, pointed out to not even be a citizen of England, ending up on the jury unless they needed him because he just so happened to have something kind of similar happen to him as what happened to Sholmes. Maybe that part specifically was just a joke but it kind of undermines the idea that the jury was intentionally selected

(1-5) He does almost immediately introduce himself as a firearms expert, which seems like a relevant skill to have when investigating a multiple shooting. More likely to come up than an obsessive understanding of stereographs, at least.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In 2-3 the trick was that inside a floating hydrogen filled balloon was a wax work dummy in a wooden cage which was then shot and the balloon exploded with no visible damage to cage or waxwork because of 'how the hydrogen was mixed'. Also at one point they thought it was a real person and no one even bothered to ask how they could breathe. Sometimes you just gotta not think about stuff too hard. Or at all.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Waffleman_ posted:

Yamazaki left Capcom about a year ago and Takumi is officially noted as Series Director in the GAAC announcement video, so it's very likely Takumi's brought the A team back on the main games.

Oh, okay, then I am fully hyped. No disrespect to Yamazaki's team; they produced some fine games, but I'm excited to see where Takumi'll take the main series.

Endorph posted:

great ace attorney 3

Blaziken386 posted:

Great Ace Attorney 3: The Adventures of Ryutaro Naruhodo

Also a stellar option.

somepartsareme posted:

Uh, I'm confused, what does juror number six have to do with Borshevik? He's just an unrelated Russian tourist with a war-torn past. He spends half the trial imploring you to not juge people by their appearance, a lesson that evidently completely flew over your head. smdh

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

somepartsareme posted:

that's just a gag. obviously they wouldn't have to select literally the entire jury (or why the heck would john garrideb and a random maid be there lol), but holmes' doctor and the telegraph lady specifically are very suspect imo. and i just can't think of any other reason why there would be so many lines about "are we sure this jury is randomly selected" and then the one bit where he gets an unexplained bad feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oh, okay, then I am fully hyped. No disrespect to Yamazaki's team; they produced some fine games, but I'm excited to see where Takumi'll take the main series.

This is all to say, we barely know anything about AA7. We don't know if Yamazaki might have been working on it before he left, if Takumi is on it, or even if it's just a new director under Takumi's supervision.