Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
The people that get fixated on these wild-rear end fantasies about SC make a lot more sense to me when I realize it's like, all game dads who work in middle management but dream of being upper management. They dream about a fantasy universe where some players have to work as virtual wage slaves for other players to "earn their keep" because they just, assume they'll be ones those wage slaves are working FOR.

Their ideal dream world isn't really exploring space or having sci-fi adventures, it's being a futuristic land baron that can lord over people poorer than them. It's loving WILD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
The new Star Citizen update will bring the latest iteration of the persistent universe, and an overhaul to the FPS module, amongst a host of other features.

Star Citizen Alpha 3.5 is a significant update for the persistent universe, bringing an overhaul to the FPS module. A new animation cycle will bring “natural movement and animations” to the FPS module, as well as new UI elements, new game mechanics and more.

The Star Citizen FPS team has also been working to improve the overall flow of the module. While Arena Commander is the flagship game mode, with Squadron 42 and Hangar Module being smaller, standalone spin-off modes, Star Citizen FPS will be accessible from the start, as the team aims to be “more than the sum of its parts”. In addition, Star Citizen FPS will be a place to learn to fly, with a new tutorial series.

The new FPS module also brings a new UI, with improved animations and an immersive look and feel.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Because Chris Roberts is a genius because he understands, like a supercomputer, the potential value and potential failure modes of a complex piece of software. After a lot of thought and planning, he designs the systems of Wing Commander and Freelancer into tiny chips, and they can be used to build a spaceship, a tank, a plane, and a city. The chips are so small that a lot of them can be thrown on a table and the design can be read with your eyes. But in order to work well, each chip needs to be designed to fit the specifications that Chris desires.

This process of designing things has been honed to a fine art by Chris, and it gives him the skills to successfully build complex games, tools, and other things. It’s what makes Chris an ace programmer. It’s what makes him a genius, in fact.

There are plenty of other brilliant engineers that aren’t geniuses. They may have the skills to build something that Chris doesn’t, but they don’t have the insight to recognize what’s possible with a given design, how it might fail, or where it could fail. These less-talented engineers are not able to design with the vision of a supercomputer, only with the brute force and limited vision of a bulldozer

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Haha remember when they thought they could implement everything as separate modules and then mash them together into a complete game?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

The bootstrap fetish has always confused me. The entire point of learning, teaching, writing, poo poo, all of history, is that someone figures something out, then teaches everyone else, and then we work on the next thing. It's called civilization.

If these fuckers had been in charge we'd still be living in caves. "I had to invent the wheel myself, so you have to as well! You cave-kids want everything handed to you!"

What is confusing about it? If you admit that we're standing on the shoulder of giants then that opens the door to self-reflection about the justness of your own situation. And that is loving scary.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BattleMaster posted:

Haha remember when they thought they could implement everything as separate modules and then mash them together into a complete game?

When they thought? They are still saying the same thing. The quantum system, for instance, is supposed to be implemented separately and then seamlessly added to the game itself.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

trucutru posted:

When they thought? They are still saying the same thing. The quantum system, for instance, is supposed to be implemented separately and then seamlessly added to the game itself.

Oh yeah, I meant explicitly calling things "hangar module" "FPS module" etc.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BattleMaster posted:

Oh yeah, I meant explicitly calling things "hangar module" "FPS module" etc.

Sure, but that's about the only change. They are now called "game modes" or "game systems" instead.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
I mean, there's a reason why the fanciest ships in the game all have room and accommodations for an employed "crew" that will never exist.

These people fantasize about their man servant topping off their bubbly while they captain their space yacht on adventures and in big star wars battles.

Also, the new player experience/in-game currency earning activities are utter, broken horseshit. It's obviously designed to cater to folks that simply want to buy that fancy space yacht from the website instead of subjecting themselves to the horror of the buggy mission gameplay/space jail, etc to earn enough cash to buy making GBS threads starting ships.

Penitent fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 15, 2021

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
It's valid for big ships to have room for lots of people for situations where someone crams their guild into one big ship. The whale buys the big ship and their various buddies all jump on to man turrets and get a ride along to wherever they're going. The old pitch was that there'd be gameplay to actually need more people than just gunners, but of course none of those scanners or repair teams or whatever have seen the light of day. I'm sure they're coming any day now.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Anyone seen Free Guy yet? The way they describe the NPC AI in that sounds like how they think it will work in Star Citizen.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Lammasu posted:

Anyone seen Free Guy yet? The way they describe the NPC AI in that sounds like how they think it will work in Star Citizen.

Isn't that only in theaters

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

text editor posted:

Isn't that only in theaters

yeah.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Valatar posted:

It's valid for big ships to have room for lots of people for situations where someone crams their guild into one big ship. The whale buys the big ship and their various buddies all jump on to man turrets and get a ride along to wherever they're going. The old pitch was that there'd be gameplay to actually need more people than just gunners, but of course none of those scanners or repair teams or whatever have seen the light of day. I'm sure they're coming any day now.

First they have to rebuilt every ship in the game to have miles of conduit and tubes that can break before they can implement the gun that shoots a green beam that fixes the damage. But that won’t comes for 4-6 months after damage comes, and it won’t always work.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DefiantWaryCopperbutterfly-mobile.mp4

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That poor dog is really overheated

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Sammus posted:

First they have to rebuilt every ship in the game to have miles of conduit and tubes that can break before they can implement the gun that shoots a green beam that fixes the damage. But that won’t comes for 4-6 months after damage comes, and it won’t always work.

I'm sure it will be a mechanic like the mining. Not enough juice and nothing happens, too much juice and whatever you're repairing explodes! Emergent gameplay achieved!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Valatar posted:

But, like, why would you do this when all your buddies are whales who have their own ships and can just pilot those for vastly more firepower per person

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
BennyHillTheme.mp3

https://i.imgur.com/KFRigrV.mp4

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
But I guess it's a nice looking PS3 game.

e:

quote:

Sure wish I could play this game. Ship claim bug, no money to rent or buy a new ship and now the website won’t accept my character reset requests. Standing around watching NPCs like this is all I got.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
And one has to admit that the new hair physics are truly outstanding.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Kesper North posted:

That poor dog is really overheated

That’s why they put a cool cat on it

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

trucutru posted:

Remember when quantum was called subsumption.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sandweed posted:

Remember when quantum was called subsumption.

Nah, Quantum was previously known as the background universe simulator (which is why its current name is actually Quantum Universe Simulation) which CR heavily implied was already working around 2015.

Subsumption is their lovely AI dreams.

Riot Food
Dec 29, 2012

Drakkel posted:

Their ideal dream world isn't really exploring space or having sci-fi adventures, it's being a futuristic land baron that can lord over people poorer than them. It's loving WILD.

This is the bit that just betrays who some of these backers are IMO. Fun is defined as an asymmetric power fantasy where they hold all the cards, and the actual content, structure or timeline of the game is irrelevant as long as this power structure stays intact.

Like, I'm not threatened with eviction or starvation if I don't clock in my 8 hours a day to polish your space medals, and Star Citizen would literally have to grant immortality to force people to put up with these frustrated tinpot dictators by choice. People ultimately have to want to play a game.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1425644804709437441

Visiting a shopping mall in game, I cannot contain my excitement

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 15, 2021

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Dwesa posted:

Visiting a shopping mall in game, I cannot contain main excitement

Dead Rising was legitimately amazing.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Penitent posted:

I mean, there's a reason why the fanciest ships in the game all have room and accommodations for an employed "crew" that will never exist.

These people fantasize about their man servant topping off their bubbly while they captain their space yacht on adventures and in big star wars battles.

And then that raises very confusing questions about the 2 wine glasses in the captains quarters. WHO IS IT FOR?

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Dwesa posted:

Visiting a shopping mall in game, I cannot contain main excitement

Threads “for the meeting tomorrow.”

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/TheUngineer/status/1426611361002438659
https://twitter.com/Nighthawk_Zale/status/1426942263574237184

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Take my money elsewhere is all!
:thunk:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

New Babbage | Systematic Rejection of Women posted:

What the hell is wrong with the women in New Babbage, I have tried to strike up kind relationships, but they all turn their heads on me.

Things have gone so bad, I ended up at Garcia's Greens, eating grass and leaves with interesting girls, but they refuse to chat anyway.

Is the size of the ship important to them?

If this stays that way, I will start to lose confidence in myself.

Greeting.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Greeting.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Wow that does sound like a realistic simulation

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

When & Why did you decide to back Star Citizen? posted:

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Riot Food posted:

This is the bit that just betrays who some of these backers are IMO. Fun is defined as an asymmetric power fantasy where they hold all the cards, and the actual content, structure or timeline of the game is irrelevant as long as this power structure stays intact.

Like, I'm not threatened with eviction or starvation if I don't clock in my 8 hours a day to polish your space medals, and Star Citizen would literally have to grant immortality to force people to put up with these frustrated tinpot dictators by choice. People ultimately have to want to play a game.

I'll say it again: a lot of the worst of these guys seem to just want to want to play a game. It's better for them that way, because wanting to want to play a game that doesn't exist means they never have to make time to play the game, or worry about whether the game is good, or worry about whether they're any good at the game, or think about whether they will be big/important/respected by other players. Instead, they can throw their money into buying imaginary status -- they're a Legatus Imperator Asinus or whatever the top tier of whale ranks is, they have all the most exclusive jpegs, and they can tell anyone who notices that Star Citizen is a hot mess that They Just Don't Understand Game Development and have no vision -- and then relax and dream about a sunny future when they have free time and suddenly become good at games and also likable and have friends to play with and Star Citizen will magically transform from a pile of ugly CryEngine hacks into a beautiful alternate universe where they are already rich and powerful.

Whenever one of them says that they've already had more fun in the pre-alpha than they've ever had in a AAA game and it was already worth every penny they spent, that's them making sure that they can excuse themselves and chase the next Big Dream Game in the unlikely event Star Citizen ever gets released. Somewhere deep down they know that Star Citizen isn't going to be something they'll have any time to play and probably won't even be something they'd enjoy playing, so they need to let their peers know that the reason they aren't playing is that, well, the vision was compromised and anyway they'd already gotten more than full value out of their "investment" and actually it's this new game in development that is the game they've really been dreaming of and they need to be focused on helping that game reach its full potential.

Trilobite fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 15, 2021

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

... and now, on day 3627 I would do it again!

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xghr1a-Ict4&t=98s

:hawaaaafap: ... you're better off however spending the $95 dollars to snap up a Nomad admitting to yourself that you would spend $85 at Wally World to pick up any other triple A game for a console. What's another 10?

Star Citizen: Well Known Triple A Console Game

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Trilobite posted:

I'll say it again: a lot of the worst of these guys seem to just want to want to play a game. It's better for them that way, because wanting to want to play a game that doesn't exist means they never have to make time to play the game, or worry about whether the game is good, or worry about whether they're any good at the game, or think about whether they will be big/important/respected by other players. Instead, they can throw their money into buying imaginary status -- they're a Legatus Imperator Asinus or whatever the top tier of whale ranks is, they have all the most exclusive jpegs, and they can tell anyone who notices that Star Citizen is a hot mess that They Just Don't Understand Game Development and have no vision -- and then relax and dream about a sunny future when they have free time and suddenly become good at games and also likable and have friends to play with and Star Citizen will magically transform from a pile of ugly CryEngine hacks into a beautiful alternate universe where they are already rich and powerful.

Whenever one of them says that they've already had more fun in the pre-alpha than they've ever had in a AAA game and it was already worth every penny they spent, that's them making sure that they can excuse themselves and chase the next Big Dream Game in the unlikely event Star Citizen ever gets released. Somewhere deep down they know that Star Citizen isn't going to be something they'll have any time to play and probably won't even be something they'd enjoy playing, so they need to let their peers know that the reason they aren't playing is that, well, the vision was compromised and anyway they'd already gotten more than full value out of their "investment" and actually it's this new game in development that is the game they've really been dreaming of and they need to be focused on helping that game reach its full potential.

I seriously believe that there are developers out there right now that look at this bloated whale corpse, bleeding cash out of every orifice, and wonder how they can replicate the formula to attract the gullible uber-whale demographic. You never actually have to release a finished product, you can rake in epic amounts of cash for years just by creating a never-ending hamster wheel of hype and populate it with gaudy in-game assets that would make a Russian Oligarch blush with embarrassment.

The next game that attracts this "whale gamer" demographic and blows up huge will actually be worse, significantly more gross, and toxic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Fidelitious posted:

And then that raises very confusing questions about the 2 wine glasses in the captains quarters. WHO IS IT FOR?

Well do you can invite your lady friend on board of course... And then you know... The implication.