Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I got this mainly to co-op with another friend. They gifted me my copy. I'm wondering if it makes more sense to run a dedicated server and share a world with them, since it will cut down on the grind of farming materials to build a nice base. If I go in his game and help him get materials, and he does the same for me, it's not much different than if we worked alone on our own worlds, since we'd be spending the same amount of time to achieve what we want. But i'm thinking about the logistics of who should host. And if there might be disagreements on organization, design, layout choices, etc...

Can anyone who's shared a world with another player comment on their experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

ChocNitty posted:

I got this mainly to co-op with another friend. They gifted me my copy. I'm wondering if it makes more sense to run a dedicated server and share a world with them, since it will cut down on the grind of farming materials to build a nice base. If I go in his game and help him get materials, and he does the same for me, it's not much different than if we worked alone on our own worlds, since we'd be spending the same amount of time to achieve what we want. But i'm thinking about the logistics of who should host. And if there might be disagreements on organization, design, layout choices, etc...

Can anyone who's shared a world with another player comment on their experience?

100% recommend a dedicated server unless you are guaranteed to have playtime’s line up. It’s nice to be able to pop on and play without having to have one player host, and it definitely makes it feel more “shared” when it is not explicitly one players world.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I hosted a dedicated world with some friends and family. We started off scrounging together a hut and some walls for safety for all of us then when we got more resources and progress everyone went their own way. The starter place turned in to a portal terminal and everyone "lived" at their own places.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Agreed about the VR, if you have the means it’s loving wild. I loaded our old built-up world and fled the slideshow main base for my little solo hut. It’s... really really relaxing. I went hunting some trolls and stuff, but the part that really hooked me was just walking through the meadows and forests. Picking berries. Slashing the occasional greyling.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

I hosted a dedicated world with some friends and family. We started off scrounging together a hut and some walls for safety for all of us then when we got more resources and progress everyone went their own way. The starter place turned in to a portal terminal and everyone "lived" at their own places.

How did that work with the events and spawn changes as you kill bosses? Or did everyone progress roughly evenly?

boloney
May 29, 2021
Is there a way to remove the nearby workbench requirement for building without enabling cheats/full creative mode?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Not unless there's a mod for it and you install that mod.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Which takes more time then just chucking down benches wherever you need them :shrug:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Ravenfood posted:

How did that work with the events and spawn changes as you kill bosses? Or did everyone progress roughly evenly?

We all came together for killing bosses as a group project. One of our players was a little behind on building trenches around his home and had some rough times because of that. Otherwise everyone was moving as a group on the big milestones. Might be a problem if there wasn't that coordination I guess? Going back and killing an already dead-ified boss is pretty easy though, I summoned one of each for the trophy in my own bedroom.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Anybody have a cfg for Spawn That and the RRR monster mod thing?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

My duo group was hunting for wolf pelts at night, and I got murdered by some weird werewolf looking things.

We died. Many times. Sometimes to no star wolves. Other times it was a Drake and Golem combo. I love how brutal this game world can feel. And I haven't even made my way to the plains yet!

Also, it looks like they made it so boars will only eat if they sit at ground level. Thankfully, Youtubers have already found a work around.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Goddamn skeeters can get in my house sure, but the entire loving wall isn't there and they can't get out :argh:

https://i.imgur.com/MnpicFx.mp4

Also the sledgehammer quite literally owns bones

https://i.imgur.com/7hthIN1.mp4

pik_d fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 13, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Get some smoke in that side of the house and have an automatic bug zapper

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

pik_d posted:

Goddamn skeeters can get in my house sure, but the entire loving wall isn't there and they can't get out :argh:

https://i.imgur.com/MnpicFx.mp4

thats just realistic

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Flavahbeast posted:

thats just realistic

Oh yeah that's what I was thinking thinking while standing there

Azhais posted:

Get some smoke in that side of the house and have an automatic bug zapper

I made my ceilings too low, it hurts me too. I use that area as a platform to shoot fulings that get too close

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

causticBeet posted:

100% recommend a dedicated server unless you are guaranteed to have playtime’s line up. It’s nice to be able to pop on and play without having to have one player host, and it definitely makes it feel more “shared” when it is not explicitly one players world.

Can you move an existing game hosted privately to a dedicated server, or would we all have to start again?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Torquemada posted:

Can you move an existing game hosted privately to a dedicated server, or would we all have to start again?

Typically the hosting provider will allow you to upload your world file and you shouldn't need to start anew.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Torquemada posted:

You can use the same world files for your dedicated server.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Also note that if you don't ever turn your computer off you can just host a dedicated server yourself, it's fairly easy although you do have to edit the config file if you want it to use an already existing world instead of making a new one.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Another little blog about the upcoming update:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/892970/announcements/

Important bits:

"We’re still on track to deliver the update this very quarter" So by the end of September

"We’re also happy to share that we have three new vikings joining the Iron Gate team next month, a programmer, an animator, and a QA Manager"

There's also some cool pics of stuff.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I've been looking unsuccessfully for a no gore mod for this game. I think my son would really enjoy this game and the violence is cartoonish enough that I don't think it's too bad for him if I could turn off the big blood sprites and maybe stop/hide the severed head trophies from dropping.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Jarmak posted:

I've been looking unsuccessfully for a no gore mod for this game. I think my son would really enjoy this game and the violence is cartoonish enough that I don't think it's too bad for him if I could turn off the big blood sprites and maybe stop/hide the severed head trophies from dropping.

There are mods that cause enemies to pop immediately on death which might at least push things back toward cartoonish. I didn't see anything that removes trophies, but the official wiki has the default drop tables and they are apparently editable. I don't know how much effort it would be, but you could set their chance to spawn at 0.

On another note, I'm not demanding and I don't think I'm entitled to it, but I would APPRECIATE if a content update was released soonish. I've been wanting to play again, but every time I fire the game up I quit after 15 minutes of chopping wood because there's no impetus to progress through the tech tree and explore because I've already seen it all. If the game went straight to 1.0 tomorrow, I wouldn't complain because I've gotten 200 hours of entertainment out of it already, but I hope there's a lot more to come.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, and them doing Hearth and Home as a first expansion seems extremely dubious as well. I guess we still don't know exactly what they're adding, but what little we've seen seems pretty boring and inconsequential? Valheim seems like a game who's moment has totally passed, barring a huge explorable content upgrade.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yea taking awhile for that update and will probably be another year or two before more exploring content gets released, but then all the creators became millionaires unexpectedly overnight and they could just retire to their own private island if they wanted so it's understandable they aren't going into 100 hour per week crunch mode on free updates that won't push new sales.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

They released a video previewing some hearth and home changes to food https://youtu.be/4osNzwFBTPg

Been playing with Valheim Plus and Epic Loot mods and it’s made it different enough to be fun starting over.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yea taking awhile for that update and will probably be another year or two before more exploring content gets released, but then all the creators became millionaires unexpectedly overnight and they could just retire to their own private island if they wanted so it's understandable they aren't going into 100 hour per week crunch mode on free updates that won't push new sales.

Oh I would completely understand them taking the money and running. I'm just surprised whoever bought them out hasn't convinced them to hire a lot more people.

E: wait did they not get bought out?

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 16, 2021

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, and them doing Hearth and Home as a first expansion seems extremely dubious as well. I guess we still don't know exactly what they're adding, but what little we've seen seems pretty boring and inconsequential? Valheim seems like a game who's moment has totally passed, barring a huge explorable content upgrade.

I totally agree - the zeitgeist that the game rode in on has faded and I don't see them capturing it again. The type of content that they're working on right now (i.e. building) is not what my friend group fixated on, and it is not promising for the game's future.

Working on refinements before completion is almost always a mistake in software dev - in that light, their current focus is worrying. They should definitely finish the last three biomes/item tiers before refining the crafting and building systems. I don't see any reason to work on those systems first unless they're adding mechanics which are needed for the endgame areas (I'll hazard a guess that this is not the case).

One of the things that an unrelated game, Terraria, did right was making expansions stack on top of the base game by filling up previous areas with new content (e.g., new ores in old areas, new enemy spawns, new biomes spawning on old ones, etc.). This allowed Re-Logic to make a 'completed' game then add new content/refinements at their leisure. Terraria only had 5 biomes at the start and only 3 bosses (arguably less content than Valheim), but the game was still able to drastically expand later while retaining the enthusiasm of its initial playerbase.

There would have been no shame in using a similar approach for Valheim; they could remove all WIP areas and just publish the current 5 biomes as a finished game, and if they want to keep adding more to the game, there would be no restrictions on where to refine or add content. When they want to add more zones, they could make Mistlands biomes spawn on top of old Swamps, or they can have Ashlands and Deep North start expanding from the map edges à la Terraria's Hardmode activation. Honestly, if they had just removed unfinished areas, the game would feel very complete and maybe we'd be excitedly awaiting this update, an expansion, or a sequel rather than being confused about what they're doing.

Like others, I have gotten more than my money's worth, but I'm not going to pick up the game again with my friends like we did at first unless something drastic changes.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The game is pretty clearly dead. They haven't even talked about finishing the biomes or adding anything substantive. They made 9 figures from the game and have farted around for 6 months fiddling with food recipes.

It was a good run but to expect anything else at this point is pretty naïve.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The game is pretty clearly dead. They haven't even talked about finishing the biomes or adding anything substantive. They made 9 figures from the game and have farted around for 6 months fiddling with food recipes.

It was a good run but to expect anything else at this point is pretty naïve.

This is my prediction too. I got my $20 worth out of it, but it's still a bummer.

But stuff like this is why I generally don't buy into early access games. It's very rare that they actually get finished.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

At least it's not Star Citizen :v:

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Oh I would completely understand them taking the money and running. I'm just surprised whoever bought them out hasn't convinced them to hire a lot more people.

E: wait did they not get bought out?

They posted about interviewing for new staff a couple of months ago, then officially had 3 new people come in at the start of August so it's been a tiny team until very recently. It seems like the massive popularity caught them off guard and they wanted to get as many bugs fixed as possible first.

But also, the game at EA launch was a couple of years or more work by only 1 or 2 people for most of it, it just happened to launch in a way more fun and well-made state than most survival games. Sounds like they're just working at a pace they're comfortable with, I doubt anything will be abandoned soon.

I'm definitely going to see how much is included in Hearth and Home when it launches (soon?). But ideally I'd come back in another year or two when there's hopefully a lot more and it's all fun and fresh again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I mean, I expected to come back to this game in a couple years or so, it's not like more people buying and liking the game makes them work any faster.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Do I need to be in proximity for boar farms to produce piglets? Or can I just dump a bunch of food in front of them and leave them be?

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

You have to be within something like 150m for them to eat and breed.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

I totally agree - the zeitgeist that the game rode in on has faded and I don't see them capturing it again. The type of content that they're working on right now (i.e. building) is not what my friend group fixated on, and it is not promising for the game's future.

Working on refinements before completion is almost always a mistake in software dev - in that light, their current focus is worrying. They should definitely finish the last three biomes/item tiers before refining the crafting and building systems. I don't see any reason to work on those systems first unless they're adding mechanics which are needed for the endgame areas (I'll hazard a guess that this is not the case).

One of the things that an unrelated game, Terraria, did right was making expansions stack on top of the base game by filling up previous areas with new content (e.g., new ores in old areas, new enemy spawns, new biomes spawning on old ones, etc.). This allowed Re-Logic to make a 'completed' game then add new content/refinements at their leisure. Terraria only had 5 biomes at the start and only 3 bosses (arguably less content than Valheim), but the game was still able to drastically expand later while retaining the enthusiasm of its initial playerbase.

There would have been no shame in using a similar approach for Valheim; they could remove all WIP areas and just publish the current 5 biomes as a finished game, and if they want to keep adding more to the game, there would be no restrictions on where to refine or add content. When they want to add more zones, they could make Mistlands biomes spawn on top of old Swamps, or they can have Ashlands and Deep North start expanding from the map edges à la Terraria's Hardmode activation. Honestly, if they had just removed unfinished areas, the game would feel very complete and maybe we'd be excitedly awaiting this update, an expansion, or a sequel rather than being confused about what they're doing.

Like others, I have gotten more than my money's worth, but I'm not going to pick up the game again with my friends like we did at first unless something drastic changes.

Big agree re: cleaning up what’s there and presenting it as a more complete package. I don’t think I would feel so miffed by the abrupt drop off in content if they didn’t have 3 literally unfinished biomes present in the game and a “final boss” that literally drops an unnamed widget. It’s all very anti-climactic.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

PittTheElder posted:

Absolutely. I played nonstop with friends and solo in March and April. Then waited for the first update. And waited. And waited. There's taking your time and completely wasting any sort of momentum you had.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i still havent beat yagluth. we left off with building a plains farm and never came back. i think the update may get us back at least long enough to kill him. everyone just wants more biomes really.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

FrickenMoron posted:

Absolutely. I played nonstop with friends and solo in March and April. Then waited for the first update. And waited. And waited. There's taking your time and completely wasting any sort of momentum you had.

They were simply woefully unprepared for the success they had. Small studios like them just don't have the ability to churn out updates on the scale you want them to. Waiting and coming back to the game later is the best thing to do right now. The other option for them was to try and keep up with it and completely burn themselves out, which would be even worse in the long run.

They have hired new staff which is a good sign that they want to continue developing this game. They very clearly haven't just taken the money and run (like was suggested earlier) if they're bringing more people in to split the money.

Here's their next H&H short:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy6SiwWytSU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
New hires will not be "splitting the money" they will be hired on for salaries. The money has already been had and the 2 or 3 new people won't be getting a cut.

They made over a hundred million dollars and their entire response has been to expand the team by a couple people. Yes they are "developing" the game but we won't see any major content for a long time, long after the vast majority of players have moved on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

New hires will not be "splitting the money" they will be hired on for salaries. The money has already been had and the 2 or 3 new people won't be getting a cut.

They made over a hundred million dollars and their entire response has been to expand the team by a couple people. Yes they are "developing" the game but we won't see any major content for a long time, long after the vast majority of players have moved on.

what alternative are you even proposing? growing the team too quickly can be hugely detrimental