Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

wait what is happening here? The pulling lineman is flagged cause the other guy went low?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bows1 posted:

wait what is happening here? The pulling lineman is flagged cause the other guy went low?

The defender was flagged, apparently you can't go low anymore on the outside.

It's confusing because they call it a blocking foul.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

bows1 posted:

it’s oddly phrased. the penalty is on the DB cutting the offensive lineman. if that’s a flag we’re gonna see a million outside runs this year

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I can't believe the NFL sucks

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
"Wow, the NFL is a dangerous sport and there are too many injuries, they should do something about it."

"No wait, not that!"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Preventing injuries by banning the peace sign, the NFL does the best things for its players.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

This is a picture from a Bears practice this week, is it common across the league for the linemen to wear these in practice?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

This is a picture from a Bears practice this week, is it common across the league for the linemen to wear these in practice?

On the one hand that's absolutely a good idea and a beneficial practice. On the other hand oh my god that looks so loving lame.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if helmets were designed with those things in mind it could look like cool rock shell stuff. could also put them on the shoulders and on big gauntlets. everyone would be havel the rock. bigger is cooler

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Austin Ekeler wears that during practice too

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

austin is a smart and cute guy. it sounds like smart people are wearing the dumb rear end hat decorations. i'd love to see #16 (ranked) joey bro wearing one of those

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Eifert Posting posted:

On the one hand that's absolutely a good idea and a beneficial practice. On the other hand oh my god that looks so loving lame.

I wonder what the breakdown looks like for % of snaps taken in practice vs. % of snaps taken in live games. If the helmet padding in any meaningful way reduces subconcussive impacts that could be very beneficial for linemen going forward.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

blarzgh posted:

"Wow, the NFL is a dangerous sport and there are too many injuries, they should do something about it."

"No wait, not that!"

Not sure telling dbs they have to take pancake blocks is going to help player safety.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Not sure telling dbs they have to take pancake blocks is going to help player safety.

If that type of low block is so dangerous then why is it only restricted in certain areas of the field? Just outright ban it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

On the bright side we're probably going to get at least one highlight of a DB absolutely embarrassing someone twice his size.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

If that type of low block is so dangerous then why is it only restricted in certain areas of the field? Just outright ban it.

You're not wrong

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Alabama wears them in practice now too, they're a thing

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Like, y'all actually think there is some other reason they're making that block illegal?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

I don't see what the problem is here, with either the rule or this implementation. He's not in a no-win situation where he's got to submarine the OT to save the play. His job is to turn the run back inside for the pursuit to clean up, he could have beat the OT to the sidelines and forced the ballcarrier to cut inside the OT(and back into the pursuit). Even if he squares up and gets turned into a speed bump for the OT he's probably forcing the cut inside at less than full speed and #42 is making the tackle.The safeties intent was to plausibly make the tackle himself, but "intent" is a lovely and inherently subjective way to interpret rules and is going to cause more problems than it's worth.

You didn't suddenly open the flood gates for toss plays being free real estate that any slap-dick team is going to get 5-10 yards a pop on because it isn't fair. You weren't eating up the league when you could take out the knees or earhole guys on crackback blocks. Maybe it isn't entirely fair when you've got like, Trent Williams to pull- but that's footbaw baby.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Hamhandler posted:

I don't see what the problem is here, with either the rule or this implementation. He's not in a no-win situation where he's got to submarine the OT to save the play. His job is to turn the run back inside for the pursuit to clean up, he could have beat the OT to the sidelines and forced the ballcarrier to cut inside the OT(and back into the pursuit). Even if he squares up and gets turned into a speed bump for the OT he's probably forcing the cut inside at less than full speed and #42 is making the tackle.The safeties intent was to plausibly make the tackle himself, but "intent" is a lovely and inherently subjective way to interpret rules and is going to cause more problems than it's worth.

You didn't suddenly open the flood gates for toss plays being free real estate that any slap-dick team is going to get 5-10 yards a pop on because it isn't fair. You weren't eating up the league when you could take out the knees or earhole guys on crackback blocks. Maybe it isn't entirely fair when you've got like, Trent Williams to pull- but that's footbaw baby.

In no way in any possibility will a 190 lbs DB make a ball carrier cut inside an OT without a cut block.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

blarzgh posted:

Like, y'all actually think there is some other reason they're making that block illegal?

For what it's worth the NCAA--doubt the source but they're usually more hardcore on these things---did a study and found the dangerous stuff mostly happened downfield. So they banned offensive and defensive low blocks if they were more than 5 yards from the line of scrimmage rather than outside the tackle box.

I think it's fine to make that illegal, I have also been thinking for like 20 years that cut blocks anywhere should be illegal is all. Yeah it'd kill the modern run game but...well people would figure out ways to adapt.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The problem isn't the new rule its the enforcement. The reason its only disallowed around the tacklebox is because players get injured in the wash, in the open field its a lot less of a risk to get all caught up thats what an athletic article said anyway.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

I wonder if he knows you can go to wal mart and get a telescope powerful enough to see where we landed on the moon.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You believe we landed on the moon and Wal Mart?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
gently caress what isle has the lunar orbitals?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Mr. Nice! posted:

I wonder if he knows you can go to wal mart and get a telescope powerful enough to see where we landed on the moon.

Well you can see the locations but you’re not going to see any of the stuff we left there

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Doltos posted:

In no way in any possibility will a 190 lbs DB make a ball carrier cut inside an OT without a cut block.

If he's got outside leverage on the ball-carrier and he's got that outside arm free, he's doing his job as a force defender. He's responsible for filling the gap outside of the OT, however it goes. He was already in that position before he dives.

Most DB vs. OL interactions don't end up like a Looney Tunes bit with the DB on the sidelines looking out the earhole on his helmet asking which way to Albuquerque or whatever, or for that matter even end up with the DB on the ground. Considering the play in question doesn't even seem to involve the DB making contact with the RB, but rather the RB getting tripped up trying to evade a pile of bodies- I don't think even if the DB gets owned it's going to be a problem, the pile of bodies is going to slow it down for the pursuit either way.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 16, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Keith Atherton posted:

Well you can see the locations but you’re not going to see any of the stuff we left there

poo poo I misremembered. You're right - nothing visible to standard telescopes. Five of the six flags planted are still there and can be seen, butt the only thing that can be made out is their shadows. They've longsince lost any color. The sixth (actually first) flag isn't visible because it was knocked over when the lander took off.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
It’s great that there are still moon landing conspiracy people and even at the time the Soviets were like “yeah they did it gj dudes”

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Raku posted:

Alabama wears them in practice now too, they're a thing

No, this is The Thing:

Honestly that was my 1st thought when I saw those helmets, which means I want every team to start wearing them right now.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How much stupid poo poo would we have heard from athletes if Twitter existed 40 years ago?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Mr. Nice! posted:

poo poo I misremembered. You're right - nothing visible to standard telescopes. Five of the six flags planted are still there and can be seen, butt the only thing that can be made out is their shadows. They've longsince lost any color. The sixth (actually first) flag isn't visible because it was knocked over when the lander took off.

We went to the moon, just not when we said we did. Duh

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

The Bills have them too they are called "Guardian Helmets"

Ironically they are only the 2nd weirdest helmet the Bills have worn the 1st was Mark Kelso's ProCap

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How much stupid poo poo would we have heard from athletes if Twitter existed 40 years ago?

It would have all been buried beneath all the players running around doing coke in the 80s and early 90s. Like, imagine peak Lawrence Taylor or the early 90s Cowboys having social media while they buying U-Hauls full of drugs and hookers.

pasaluki posted:

The Bills have them too they are called "Guardian Helmets"

Ironically they are only the 2nd weirdest helmet the Bills have worn the 1st was Mark Kelso's ProCap

A few other players wore that too, notably Steve Wallace with the 49ers when they won their last Super Bowl in ‘94.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Stupid poo poo they say, or did and we found out about

Either way it's yes.

I brought this up a couple weeks ago, but Athletes even up to 20 years ago used to party so hard, do all kinds of drugs etc. It didn't get reported on the same way it does now.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

KEEP FIRING, ASSHOLES

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Keith Atherton posted:

It’s great that there are still moon landing conspiracy people and even at the time the Soviets were like “yeah they did it gj dudes”

They're in on it obviously

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Hamhandler posted:

If he's got outside leverage on the ball-carrier and he's got that outside arm free, he's doing his job as a force defender. He's responsible for filling the gap outside of the OT, however it goes. He was already in that position before he dives.

Most DB vs. OL interactions don't end up like a Looney Tunes bit with the DB on the sidelines looking out the earhole on his helmet asking which way to Albuquerque or whatever, or for that matter even end up with the DB on the ground. Considering the play in question doesn't even seem to involve the DB making contact with the RB, but rather the RB getting tripped up trying to evade a pile of bodies- I don't think even if the DB gets owned it's going to be a problem, the pile of bodies is going to slow it down for the pursuit either way.

Being a force defender means engaging the block or putting your body in position to get blocked. He has a huge OT in front of him, OTs can move now, that play happens constantly in the NFL, people will get plastered.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

cheering for the dude throwing haymakers into his butt

The Pasadena Mud Punch, known in other areas as the Gardenia Gooch Buster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

These look like mind control helmet props from a very good episode of voyager