Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

Playing the Back 4 Blood beta and it's absolutely just next gen Left4Dead, it's great

It’s 100% L4D, Turtle Rock just doesn’t own that name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You know you can just connect your Dualshock 4 to your PC via USB or Bluetooth and use it as a native gamepad, right?

Oh yeah I know but i don't have a ps4 controller anymore i launched it into a wall

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

It’s 100% L4D, Turtle Rock just doesn’t own that name.

Playing the beta now on Steam, it's pretty ok but still buggy, as betas tend to be. Went to the discussions tab in Steam to see what the playerbase was saying, and wow, it's like the angriest people from SomethingAwful, Reddit, and 4chan descended into it.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I started playing Hades last night.

I went into it knowing I have a very limited patience for impenetrable difficulty levels, but so far it's doing a really good job of not feeling punishing. I'm dying constantly, of course, and I'm constantly picking things up that I don't know what they're for yet, but I still feel like I'm making progress.

Also, I pet Cerberus every time I die.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
hades is a great game and it's definitely the best game from a company I was already incredibly sold on

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I love how the protagonist in Jupiter Hell is a hilarious stereotype of action game hero cliches. Also how he swears constantly. “IT’S loving LOCKED.”

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

RoboRodent posted:

I started playing Hades last night.

I went into it knowing I have a very limited patience for impenetrable difficulty levels, but so far it's doing a really good job of not feeling punishing. I'm dying constantly, of course, and I'm constantly picking things up that I don't know what they're for yet, but I still feel like I'm making progress.

Also, I pet Cerberus every time I die.

Yeah the progression in that game is near flawless. You feel a gradual level of improvement, with milestones like "oh poo poo I just got a perfect on this boss thats been kicking my rear end" that make you feel powerful as hell and want to dive even deeper.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Also your interactions with the bosses get better and better. So far my favorite is naming the bone hydra. Then after every time you meet them the name is changed.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah the persistent reality of the circumstances of the game lead to some awesome interactions. For anybody who hasn't played it, you are the son of Hades attempting to escape the underworld by fighting your way out. Hades has multiple layers of underlings placed to keep you inside. The game is played in runs, usually ending with you dying and starting over, but everyone knows this and remembers your interactions. So if you keep banging your head against a boss, they might start to mock you and boast, and when you finally beat them they are shocked and your character is jubilant. And you can sometimes talk to them on the next run about it lol

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Kaincypher posted:

Playing the beta now on Steam, it's pretty ok but still buggy, as betas tend to be. Went to the discussions tab in Steam to see what the playerbase was saying, and wow, it's like the angriest people from SomethingAwful, Reddit, and 4chan descended into it.

Some players are reporting a bug with the sounds some of the Zombies make.

Crossposting from the Glitch thread:

Velocity Raptor posted:

Back 4 Blood is a L4D clone currently in beta.

Some people playing it have found an unfortunate bug when the game plays two sounds clips for some of the zombies.

https://twitter.com/HomBKE/status/1423499337766735875?s=20

Dev's response:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Man, if something like that happened in my game, a) I'd be mortified, and b) I'd immediately release a patch that just removed one of the sound effects so this wouldn't happen. Gotta practice harm reduction here. "It'll be fixed Soon" isn't good enough.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I don’t even know how something like that passes QA at all. I get that mistakes happen but hoo boy.

Hades boss chat.

When you unlock all three sisters as the first potential boss and Zagrius starts guessing which one will show up is always a hilarious riot.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I found a ps2 game based on Zathura in CEX that has a surprising amount of effort in the encounter design, and some neat setpieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7URxN6LKh0

I made a video of the third level. Different characters have different types of enemies based on their combat styles too, like the younger brother fights long range so has tiny ufos that show up and zip around, needing his long range attacks, compared to the older brother's robots who are fairly dangerous at close range so you have to work out the best ways to avoid them. Also it seems like it'll be surprisingly long, according to the level select there are 26 levels across multiple different planets (so it's not ALL robot planet).

Also in the first level, before you find the board game that starts everything off you can see the gardens outside the windows. When the robot shows up for the first time, all that's out there is space. I like that attention to detail.

I also like that the big puzzle in level 3 isn't JUST simon says, you also have to actively move around the platform and dodge the enemy fire while doing it. It's also just a neat room, my genuine reaction when first turning the corner and seeing the place was "Oh. That's cool."

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Aug 14, 2021

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Alright which one of you motherfuckers is out there making cozy platformers

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

thecluckmeme posted:

Alright which one of you motherfuckers is out there making cozy platformers

man i googled frog dog hotdog and is this a racism?

https://trademarks.justia.com/763/86/frog-dog-the-hot-dog-with-a-french-twist-76386531.html

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

It's a reference to the Doobie's Doghouse saga where many goons Kickstarted some guy's hot dog restaurant and then he turned out to be both incompetent and a racist.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Red Minjo posted:

It's a reference to the Doobie's Doghouse saga where many goons Kickstarted some guy's hot dog restaurant and then he turned out to be both incompetent and a racist.

Phew, I was thinking about making a Doobie joke but I'm glad I turned out to be as lazy as the Doobster himself :sweatdrop:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Red Minjo posted:

Yes. But also someone tried to patent that at one point as a French hot dog

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
doobie's dog house is our chris chan and the existence of it is a condemnation of this community

that is a cute poster though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

doobie's dog house is our chris chan and the existence of it is a condemnation of this community

that is a cute poster though

I'm not sure that's entirely fair though maybe I'm missing details about it. As far as I know it was just a lot of people who got really excited about helping someone and it turned out later that someone was a poo poo. It sucks that happened but people being optimistic and wanting to help others isn't something worth condemning. (If there was something else involved then I stand corrected.)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I think it's more the site obsession with him post kickstarter that the person was complaining about via the comparison

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Spoilers for Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart

The game talks about a shared Sly Cooper/Ratchet/Jak/Knack(maybe?) multiverse. Now I just want a new Jak game :(

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

Also your interactions with the bosses get better and better. So far my favorite is naming the bone hydra. Then after every time you meet them the name is changed.

:argh:

After successfully beating Megaera twice in a row, the third time I lost (I think I just don't do so well with that weapon) and she accused me of letting her win.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
"with au jus" :murder:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

verbal enema posted:

how does it play with m+kb? I only had it on my ps4

solid, had no issues

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Ruffian Price posted:

solid, had no issues

hell yeah

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I had been pretty much burnt out entirely on open world games, but Botw got me back in and I'm finishing up Fenyx Rising and enjoying that too. I love this trend of smaller, manageable open worlds. When I look at the map in Fenyx, I don't imagine I'm going to 100%, but I feel like I could

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

I downloaded MLB The Show 21 on a whim off Gamepass and there's so much more love and effort put into it than other big name sports franchises. You can treat it like a realistic simulator, or have Dog Dick the mutant dwarf do a pimp strut when he hits a home run.

https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/1416211270345265152

They even included the "American" names from Fighting Baseball in the announcer audio, so you can have Bobson Dugnutt, Sleve McDichael and Todd Bonzalez be called up to bat.

Another nice touch is that your controller rumble will pulse like a heartbeat during high stress and crucial plays.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

goodog posted:

MLB The Show 21

:v:
I don't even play sports games much, but I need to give that a try

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
On a small video player that gameplay looks freakishly realistic (monster child aside)

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

flatluigi posted:

hades is a great game and it's definitely the best game from a company I was already incredibly sold on

Sold.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

goodog posted:

I downloaded MLB The Show 21 on a whim off Gamepass and there's so much more love and effort put into it than other big name sports franchises. You can treat it like a realistic simulator, or have Dog Dick the mutant dwarf do a pimp strut when he hits a home run.

https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/1416211270345265152

They even included the "American" names from Fighting Baseball in the announcer audio, so you can have Bobson Dugnutt, Sleve McDichael and Todd Bonzalez be called up to bat.

Another nice touch is that your controller rumble will pulse like a heartbeat during high stress and crucial plays.

I hate baseball but this insanely owns

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah the progression in that game is near flawless. You feel a gradual level of improvement, with milestones like "oh poo poo I just got a perfect on this boss thats been kicking my rear end" that make you feel powerful as hell and want to dive even deeper.

The dragging things down thread just had a post that the progression is trash garbage. Different strokes and all that.

I thought hades was a real good game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ilmucche posted:

The dragging things down thread just had a post that the progression is trash garbage. Different strokes and all that.

I thought hades was a real good game

Hades is extremely widely lauded for its sense of progression. It isn't going to work for everyone but it is basically held up as the ideal of getting people to keep going in a game that kills you frequently. It's fine that someone dislikes it but it's also a pretty niche opinion considering.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Hades is extremely widely lauded for its sense of progression. It isn't going to work for everyone but it is basically held up as the ideal of getting people to keep going in a game that kills you frequently. It's fine that someone dislikes it but it's also a pretty niche opinion considering.

Something I think Hades gets very, very right is that even outside of the gentle ramp offered by the mirror and god mode if you use it is that you can just bump your dumb face into some absurdly broken poo poo through merely playing, so the progression isn’t the only thing compelling you to keep going. I personally didn’t care whether I won or lost because the mere act of mixing and matching boons with weapons was a joy all on its own and while the weapons themselves are lightly tied to progression, gods/boons mostly aren’t with one big exception.

Slay The Spire does this too. Leaving fun broken poo poo in breaks up the pace a little and helps players think outside the box when doing more runs.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I really appreciate that Hades stepped away from the usual roguelike difficulty model and added in a mouse to gradually ease up the difficulty for chumps like me who'd never play it otherwise. It was a proud moment when I finally beat the game before the damage absorption from that capped out :c00lbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BurningBeard posted:

Something I think Hades gets very, very right is that even outside of the gentle ramp offered by the mirror and god mode if you use it is that you can just bump your dumb face into some absurdly broken poo poo through merely playing, so the progression isn’t the only thing compelling you to keep going. I personally didn’t care whether I won or lost because the mere act of mixing and matching boons with weapons was a joy all on its own and while the weapons themselves are lightly tied to progression, gods/boons mostly aren’t with one big exception.

Slay The Spire does this too. Leaving fun broken poo poo in breaks up the pace a little and helps players think outside the box when doing more runs.

Yeah, that is something important about certain breeds of roguelike that a lot of developers miss. A big part of the appeal of them is getting stronger and stronger until you have some ridiculous superbuild, either because the game demands it or because it allows it. Attempts to 'balance' roguelikes to avoid incredibly powerful builds usually just leads people to get bored. It's why Ascensions/The Heat System/etc are so useful because they offer ways to make the game more difficult for people who like that without boring gameplay.

(And to keep this even more on topic, the Heat System is a fantastic implementation of the idea. Getting to mix and match your difficulty means you can focus on challenges that are fun to you instead of having to deal with crappy modifiers.)

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, that is something important about certain breeds of roguelike that a lot of developers miss. A big part of the appeal of them is getting stronger and stronger until you have some ridiculous superbuild, either because the game demands it or because it allows it. Attempts to 'balance' roguelikes to avoid incredibly powerful builds usually just leads people to get bored.

And here I was just complaining about this exact thing in another thread.

I guess some people see it as "this could be the run that I luck into an incredibly powerful build" and get excited to play, but I see it as "this will probably be a run where I don't luck into anything and my build just sucks" and I lose interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Triarii posted:

And here I was just complaining about this exact thing in another thread.

I guess some people see it as "this could be the run that I luck into an incredibly powerful build" and get excited to play, but I see it as "this will probably be a run where I don't luck into anything and my build just sucks" and I lose interest.

That is what makes something like Hades work though. It's well designed enough that basically any combination of Gods and Weapons can create something incredibly powerful so it's nearly impossible to screw yourself. By making sure everything is potentially game breaking they avoid runs doing that.