Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Pleads posted:

In which riding are you representing the Greens?

:vince:

They already have a candidate in my riding, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Nitr0 posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/comox-valley-regional-district-phase-out-gas-stations-1.6139542

How much of a hippy dippy do idea is this? Still have poo poo battery tech, the cars all kinda suck, but to not allow any new changes to pumps or they just “die naturally” sounds like wacky island brain thinking.

They're jumping the gun by a decade. The main employer for Comox is the RCAF base, and the runner up has been tourism for a long while now. I grew up there, and while it is fairly granola, I would have thought they'd be pragmatic enough to realize the current limitations of the technology. I would have expected this sort of thing from Denman or Hornby Islands honestly.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

I hope the liberals loving get destroyed over this. A naked power grab election in the middle of the pandemic? No one loving wants this and it’s literally going to kill people. Get hosed JT.

Middle of the pandemic? Like yeah it's not over, but voting safely shouldn't be any harder or riskier then going to the grocery store for the last year and a half. Like, we've been in open'er up mode for over a month now. If we're all expected to do our civic duty of keeping the economy moving, an election doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

At this point it'll only kill anyone dumb enough to be anti vaxx but also very politically motivated. Like, we have some kind of mail in/remote voting right? Like if someone really doesn't want to go out in pubic, they have options, right?

Granted, JT should kind of go get hosed for lying about voting reform. I just don't know what I want more: Cons to get hosed into irrelevancy, or the Liberals to eat some humble pie for loving around.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

Granted, JT should kind of go get hosed for lying about voting reform.
I have to remind myself of this every time I even think about voting Liberal.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Oxyclean posted:

Middle of the pandemic? Like yeah it's not over, but voting safely shouldn't be any harder or riskier then going to the grocery store for the last year and a half. Like, we've been in open'er up mode for over a month now. If we're all expected to do our civic duty of keeping the economy moving, an election doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

I think the argument is that it's unnecessary (in that the house still has confidence in the government), not that it's otherwise an exceptionally dangerous practice. "Let's get a bunch of random people to stand indoors for 5-50 minutes who wouldn't otherwise come into contact with one another during a contagious airborne pandemic" is a reasonable alternative is going hungry. That said, I doubt we'll be hearing about many covid outbreaks coming from polling stations.

Has anyone ever been swayed by charges of "opportunistic election!!!"? That's just a placeholder talking point while the leader's office preps the email campaign, right?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I can't wait to hear what new and exciting promises the Liberals are going to refer to a committee to write a report on that can be safely ignored in 4-8 years!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

pokeyman posted:

I think the argument is that it's unnecessary (in that the house still has confidence in the government), not that it's otherwise an exceptionally dangerous practice. "Let's get a bunch of random people to stand indoors for 5-50 minutes who wouldn't otherwise come into contact with one another during a contagious airborne pandemic" is a reasonable alternative is going hungry. That said, I doubt we'll be hearing about many covid outbreaks coming from polling stations.

Has anyone ever been swayed by charges of "opportunistic election!!!"? That's just a placeholder talking point while the leader's office preps the email campaign, right?

Overall it’s a bunch of public events and gatherings we don’t need to have, and yeah that is going to lead to increased spread and possibly deaths. Even if the people dying are anti-vaccine nuts it’s still people dying who don’t need to be harmed, it’s the kind of irresponsible bullshit we shouldn’t be accepting from our government.

And yes, things were working in Parliament before the election. It’s JT making a grab for more power, plain and simple.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I'm fully vaxxed and I'm intending to vote by mail this election. I like voting in person under normal circumstances but there's no reason not to here.

Sashimi posted:

I have to remind myself of this every time I even think about voting Liberal.
Yeah, this. I bring it up any time someone comes doorknocking for the Grits.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

pokeyman posted:

In a way, "opportunistic election" is like the epitome of representative democracy. If more people really do wish Libs had more power than they do, shouldn't the representation adjust to reflect that? Isn't that the point of the system?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I can't vote in this election yet but boy howdy I'm glad vote by mail is a widespread thing here.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Muscle Tracer posted:

In a way, "opportunistic election" is like the epitome of representative democracy. If more people really do wish Libs had more power than they do, shouldn't the representation adjust to reflect that? Isn't that the point of the system?

Setting aside the notion of manufactured consent, increased election frequency favours the candidates and parties with the most cash. This isn't to say that elections should be less frequent, but holding them every 1-2 years doesn't seem like it would benefit anyone but those who can afford to max out their donations every year.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

half cocaine posted:

I am very concerned about the grab for power. Who should I vote for?

I don’t think you can characterize a democratic election as a “grab for power.” “Cynical attempt to sway voters at an opportune time before things go down hill,” sure, but they’re playing the game rules-as-written.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Jam Band Death Cult posted:

This evening I ran into an acquaintance/friend who is now an army recruiter. He's truly pleasant to be around, despite this, and we go way back. So we chatted for maybe an hour. Things got a bit heated when he lavished praise on Chrystia Freeland and quickly afterward said that he thought Mark Carney was "a genius, like Ignatieff". I don't think I'd ever met a real-life tankie for the Libs before.

Moments before, Steven Guilbeault jogged past me as I biked through parc Laurier.

This plays directly into my belief that the PLC is a simulation that only glitches into real-life existence in the lead-up to elections.

Living in Ottawa I see loads of Minsters and MPs all the time but oddly I never saw Harper on the street (and he is the only PM in my lifetime I’ve never meet) or Pollievre.

Pollievre for sure will run for leadership provided his riding doesn’t dump him this time.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
I'm very amused at the shift in Conservative sloganeering from "Justin: In over his head and just not ready!" to "Justin: Shrewd manipulator of the electoral system for personal power"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Poilievre walked by me one day and gave me me thumbs up for... some reason.

I see that little shitweasel Cooper all the time.

And one time I helped Singh when he got turned around in the Shopper's.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

Another Bill posted:

I'm very amused at the shift in Conservative sloganeering from "Justin: In over his head and just not ready!" to "Justin: Shrewd manipulator of the electoral system for personal power"

Based on O'Toole's presser today, he's the party leader for whom "in over his head and just not ready" is the most apt.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

pokeyman posted:

Advocating "strategic" voting in 2021 should be bannable.

This is dumb poo poo. I followed this advice in 2019 and my riding went from Liberal to Conservative. It's been purely worse that I voted my conscience.

If the NDP showed even the faintest loving interest in legitimately contesting my riding, yeah, I would consider voting for them again. As it is, the Liberal candidate got a quarter of the vote, and still doubled the NDP result. The candidate couldn't even be bothered to get a portrait done for the NDP website, never tried to contact me even by a mass-mail campaign, why the gently caress should I put up with that? If I wanted to pure throw my vote away, I'd draw a cock and balls on the ballot.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

PT6A posted:

This is dumb poo poo. I followed this advice in 2019 and my riding went from Liberal to Conservative. It's been purely worse that I voted my conscience.

If the NDP showed even the faintest loving interest in legitimately contesting my riding, yeah, I would consider voting for them again. As it is, the Liberal candidate got a quarter of the vote, and still doubled the NDP result. The candidate couldn't even be bothered to get a portrait done for the NDP website, never tried to contact me even by a mass-mail campaign, why the gently caress should I put up with that? If I wanted to pure throw my vote away, I'd draw a cock and balls on the ballot.

I'm ok with "I'm not voting for this lovely candidate" and am not sure that would usually be thought of as "strategic" voting. I just have no time for "a vote for not-Liberal is a vote for the Conservatives"-style bullshit.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

pokeyman posted:

I'm ok with "I'm not voting for this lovely candidate" and am not sure that would usually be thought of as "strategic" voting. I just have no time for "a vote for not-Liberal is a vote for the Conservatives"-style bullshit.

It especially rings hollow this time around when the Libs promised to fix the system so you could vote for who you actually wanted to without worrying about splitting votes or strategy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

pokeyman posted:

That's fair. I'm just saying, y'know, I tried voting with my heart based on the party rather than the candidate, and it wasn't good. I will have to investigate who is running this time around.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

angerbeet posted:

Erin, have you been sticking your head in the Shine-O Ball-O again?

Nnnnnnno.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Always vote for whoever it is you feel like voting for, but obviously don't over-estimate the power of your single checkmark and think that it's wasted if the candidate doesn't win

Arcsquad12 posted:

Poilievre walked by me one day and gave me me thumbs up for... some reason.

I see that little shitweasel Cooper all the time.

And one time I helped Singh when he got turned around in the Shopper's.

What was he shopping for

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I will re-post my most cherished Descendant of Tool meme, I made it on someone else's advice.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Blood Boils posted:

Always vote for whoever it is you feel like voting for, but obviously don't over-estimate the power of your single checkmark and think that it's wasted if the candidate doesn't win

What was he shopping for

Hose for his wife, iirc. It's one of those images that sticks in your mind: a party leader holding a package of pantyhose and spinning in circles looking for the checkout counter.

I just wanted my chocolate bar.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mr O'Toole how do you feel about the backlash against your Charlie and the Chicolate Factory video?

Well first of all it was Willy Wonka and the Chicolate Factory and furthermore

Also good look here CBC. When do we board the DC-8s to meet Xenu?
https://mobile.twitter.com/CBCToronto/status/1426965620399149063

Whoever ok'd that picture at the CBC must think O'Toole is a massive joke. Also whoever (if anyone) ok'd that picture from the Conservative Party itself. And whoever actually made that picture.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Strong "Patrick Moore plays the xylophone" vibes.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Pleads posted:

In which riding are you representing the Greens?

Who are you talking to?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Who are you talking to?

The person they quoted?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pokeyman posted:

The person they quoted?

I think the joke is no one listens to them...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

pokeyman posted:

The person they quoted?

:thejoke:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I am owned

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

As someone who was in Morneau's old riding and voted in the by-election last year in the middle of the pandemic I'm assuming they might do what they did there but more widespread.

Tl;dr Things were more... centralized. Instead of a bunch of satellite polling locations in schools and apartment buildings everything was spread out in one hotel. You went in with your card, and depending on your normal polling location you were directed to a different conference room and booth in the hotel. Everything was spread out enough with all the lines everything could be 2m away at all times. Worked pretty well.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I was in a line the other day that doubled back on itself a few times, so there were stickers spaced 2m apart for people facing the same direction, but stickers like a half metre away when considering the people coming back (and facing you, no less). Real thoughtful work.

Also weren't we making fun of pretending covid can't spread beyond 2m like a year ago? How long are we gonna stick with this junk science.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

As someone who was in Morneau's old riding and voted in the by-election last year in the middle of the pandemic I'm assuming they might do what they did there but more widespread.

Tl;dr Things were more... centralized. Instead of a bunch of satellite polling locations in schools and apartment buildings everything was spread out in one hotel. You went in with your card, and depending on your normal polling location you were directed to a different conference room and booth in the hotel. Everything was spread out enough with all the lines everything could be 2m away at all times. Worked pretty well.

Jesus what a poo poo idea, especially during a pandemic

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

this has huge accessibility problems is the thing which would make me worry - part of why we spread polling stations out so much is because not everyone has a car or whatever to make sure they can get to a central polling place. Pulling all the polls for one area in one single spot would have a bunch of negative effects on voter turnout simply by making it harder for people to get there.

Whatever though, I already submitted my vote by mail application. Pretty easy, you can do it online on the Elections Canada website, you'll need to photograph and upload some ID (name + address, so one card like a driver's license or two pieces like a health card and a bank statement or other mail with your address on it.)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Arivia posted:

this has huge accessibility problems is the thing which would make me worry - part of why we spread polling stations out so much is because not everyone has a car or whatever to make sure they can get to a central polling place. Pulling all the polls for one area in one single spot would have a bunch of negative effects on voter turnout simply by making it harder for people to get there.

Not to diminish these concerns but Toronto Centre is the smallest riding in the country (under 6 sq km) and probably the most accessible. I don't think the plan will be the same elsewhere.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Things are rapidly becoming increasingly poo poo in southern BC.

Thread:
https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1427113319958081541?s=21

Merritt is holding a lot of evacuees from Lytton and other areas right now. The Coquihala is closed and burning on both sides, above and below Merritt. West Kelowna is on fire. Southern Kamloops is under evacuation alert.

It is really loving bad.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Flames 1 - Canucks 0

Jokes aside most of my mothers family is spread throughout BC. Thankfully her mother is in Chilliwack (A sentence henceforth unseen) but the rest are on the edge of this poo poo and it can shift anytime. I dont need to bury more family members this year.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

Not to diminish these concerns but Toronto Centre is the smallest riding in the country (under 6 sq km) and probably the most accessible. I don't think the plan will be the same elsewhere.

That's a fair point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

ChickenDoodle posted:

Things are rapidly becoming increasingly poo poo in southern BC.

Thread:
https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1427113319958081541?s=21

Merritt is holding a lot of evacuees from Lytton and other areas right now. The Coquihala is closed and burning on both sides, above and below Merritt. West Kelowna is on fire. Southern Kamloops is under evacuation alert.

It is really loving bad.

I live in west Kelowna, you could see trees candling from the backyard of our house. We got out safely and are staying with a family friend right now but it looked really loving dire when we left.