Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
1-5 somewhat fittingly given the setting, there's two explanations for the suspiciously familiar jury. The watsonian explanation is that someone, likely stronghart, has rigged the court to make it easier to prove eggert is committing high treason. The doylist explanation is that it's a joke about re-using assets to save on development time :cheeky:

Waffleman_ posted:

This is all to say, we barely know anything about AA7. We don't know if Yamazaki might have been working on it before he left, if Takumi is on it, or even if it's just a new director under Takumi's supervision.
Well, we can hope that Takumi'll be directing it, at the very least. There's a decent chance they're considering it, considering the official twitter posted a survey about the game, and under "reasons for purchasing", one of the options listed is "because Takumi wrote it". That's nothing concrete, but it could mean capcom acknowledges that his presence is a selling point, if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think at the very least, he is a supervising/producer presence, and even that is a good thing.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'd be happy with more Athena, especially in a starring role. The Mood Matrix is definitely my favorite of the modern-day protagonist gimmicks. Keep Simon and Klavier as the prosecutors, and never mention Nahyuta ever again.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

1-5 somewhat fittingly given the setting, there's two explanations for the suspiciously familiar jury. The watsonian explanation is that someone, likely stronghart, has rigged the court to make it easier to prove eggert is committing high treason. The doylist explanation is that it's a joke about re-using assets to save on development time :cheeky:

1-5 I am pretty sure that if Stronghart knew what was up it would have been a closed trial to avoid confirming the bad PR of government secrets having been leaked on Scotland Yard's watch.
Also, fun side note:
1) Sholmes has a copy of one of the disks
2) I suspect one can reconstruct the entire message from just one disk by measuring the gaps.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think it's entirely possible and even semi-likely there's one case in AA7 that's completely removed from everything else like 6-4 was where you play as Apollo and the prosecutor is Nahyuta. Or maybe he's the assistant like Blackquill was in 6-4, who can say?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

2-3 gently caress off with this robot man

E: It's very funny that Enoch is threatening me with an active time bomb and I can just leave, but that's not how mysteries get solved

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 16, 2021

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph posted:

great ace attorney 3

:yeah:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Just finished 2-5 and I would very happily take another game as Ryunosuke and/or Ryutaro.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

2-3 feels like a final case how are there two more

E: FUUUUUUUUUUCK!

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 16, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
That's game done. Fun game though too many hanging threads to call that entirely satisfying. I did appreciate the deviations from the standard AA formula, and the jury is a really good overall addition to the game.

Fortunately, there's game 2 to look forward to which I'll dive into right now!

2-1 Well they wasted no time in starting off intense.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 16, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Bloody Pom posted:

I'd be happy with more Athena, especially in a starring role. The Mood Matrix is definitely my favorite of the modern-day protagonist gimmicks. Keep Simon and Klavier as the prosecutors, and never mention Nahyuta ever again.

I agree with this but throw klavier in the dumpster. Simon is so much more fun than that douche. He's not half as fun to defeat as pw1 Edgeworth or franziska and he's less impressive on the offense too. Nahyuta should've been allowed to be a character for more than 5 minutes.

I recently finished game 1 and it was good in general even if it leans hard on the sequel. One thing that did annoy me is the fairly constant overreacting to having anything you propose questioned. You present evidence to prove a contradiction and you have the right idea about where the case is going and you still have to sit through Zieks pointing out a minor flaw, saying your conclusions don't count and Ryo freaks out for 5 minutes while you wait to be allowed to present evidence again. I guess every AA game does that but it really sticks out now that I'm playing it in PC instead of anything handheld.

ltrhs
Oct 2, 2013
I'd rather they just started again with a new cast. The biggest problem with apollo justice was phoenix wright. Great ace attorney proves they don't need all the old characters to tell an interesting story. Also ghost trick is the best game shu takumi worked on, so frankly they should just let him make some completely new game altogether.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Waffleman_ posted:

2-3 gently caress off with this robot man

E: It's very funny that Enoch is threatening me with an active time bomb and I can just leave, but that's not how mysteries get solved

Enoch is great, I know the steampunk aesthetic is overdone nowdays but I just love that smug clockwork man.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

Enoch is great, I know the steampunk aesthetic is overdone nowdays but I just love that smug clockwork man.

It's because he's not just steampunk, he's 80's music video steampunk

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
G2-3: Enoch is easily my favorite character design so far, no talking poo poo about the crazy robot man. I also love how the game so far has not seen fit to explain anything about him, like why is he a robot man, why is he wearing a black monocle, etc.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ltrhs posted:

I'd rather they just started again with a new cast. The biggest problem with apollo justice was phoenix wright. Great ace attorney proves they don't need all the old characters to tell an interesting story. Also ghost trick is the best game shu takumi worked on, so frankly they should just let him make some completely new game altogether.

AJ had way more problems than Phoenix existing & being ridiculously out of character for the entire thing. Like if they replaced him with someone else it still wouldn't be very good, there just wouldn't be the extra crotch-kick of giving the finger to the previous trilogy.

the writing in general was just...bad. bad mysteries, bad characters(for the most part), underwhelming trials, bad bad bad

Takumi's proven he can be an amazing writer, but he unequivocally hosed Up on that game.

I really liked AA5/6 so I'm sad that team is broken up, but I think Takumi's redeemed himself for 4's garbage fire at this point

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 16, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Brandfarlig posted:

I agree with this but throw klavier in the dumpster. Simon is so much more fun than that douche. He's not half as fun to defeat as pw1 Edgeworth or franziska and he's less impressive on the offense too. Nahyuta should've been allowed to be a character for more than 5 minutes.

I recently finished game 1 and it was good in general even if it leans hard on the sequel. One thing that did annoy me is the fairly constant overreacting to having anything you propose questioned. You present evidence to prove a contradiction and you have the right idea about where the case is going and you still have to sit through Zieks pointing out a minor flaw, saying your conclusions don't count and Ryo freaks out for 5 minutes while you wait to be allowed to present evidence again. I guess every AA game does that but it really sticks out now that I'm playing it in PC instead of anything handheld.

Don't forget Ryunosuke has had like a month total of training and is fairly introverted, he has difficulty getting his arguments across and gets discouraged easily because he's both not used to this and kind of timid in general. This of course changes because Character Development but it takes a while.

And yeah Klavier blew chunks, Prosecutors need to be obstinate assholes. Nahyuta was at least fun to beat because he was a super petty shithead about like everything and had a fun theme song while he explained why your case is dumb and you're dumb.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Yeah of course Ryunosuke is inexperienced but this is the 8th AA game I'm playing so I've seen it enough. When Zieks challenges something that changes the case completely I get it but sometimes you present evidence that has an incredibly obvious follow up and Ryu can't think 5 seconds ahead. It doesn't have to happen *every* time Zieks opens his mouth.

I agree about prosecutors needing to be obstinate, Klavier flips to your side so easily I don't give a poo poo. It doesn't feel earned unlike when Edgeworth decides to tag team the witness (murderer) with you. Godot deserves a mention too. My top three is Edgeworth, Godot and Blackquill. Franziska becomes good but I felt like she was Edgeworth but worse for most of game 2. Her trying to imitate her dad doesn't work when it comes from an 18 year old. She's not half as intimidating.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 16, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yinlock posted:

I really liked AA5/6 so I'm sad that team is broken up, but I think Takumi's redeemed himself for 4's garbage fire at this point

It was probably for the best that after AJ, he took a break from the series to do Ghost Trick.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It's a bit harsh to call AJ a garbage fire, even if it is your least favorite IMO. If 2-4 wasn't so good game 2 would be terrible between the step down in prosecutor and 2-3. Ghost Trick is a fantastic game though so it was absolutely worth it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Man, I should probably replay the series once I'm done with grandpa, I forgot a lot of cases.

Now what was original series 2-3 again *checks Google* :magical: ok maybe the circus case should stay forgotten.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It's one of those cases where everyone should go to jail (except for the lion). gently caress the murder, where's the case against the 2 adults that want to marry a 14/15 year old?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Omobono posted:

Now what was original series 2-3 again *checks Google* :magical: ok maybe the circus case should stay forgotten.

Not to be confused with the other time that drat circus was involved in a convoluted murder plot.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
To be fair to that one, it's easy to distinguish because the circus was more of a side thing and also the case did not have like half the relevant cast thirsting over a 15 year old girl.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ace Attorney takes the stance that live entertainers are scumbags.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Not to be confused with the other time that drat circus was involved in a convoluted murder plot.

I recall meeting Regina again, but not even the game. Hell, I'm not even sure if it happened in a 3D one or Investigations.
It had no Moe cross though, so by default it wasn't that bad.

I think it says a lot that I forgot the circus case but not Moe's cross examination.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It was Investigations 2. It was released during the series' 10th anniversary, so there were a lot of callbacks and cameos in it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Moe was like the only person in that case who wasn't an annoyingly naïve child or one of the people lusting after said child, so by default he was the only good person in that case.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Brandfarlig posted:

It's a bit harsh to call AJ a garbage fire, even if it is your least favorite IMO. If 2-4 wasn't so good game 2 would be terrible between the step down in prosecutor and 2-3. Ghost Trick is a fantastic game though so it was absolutely worth it.

AJ is kinda dire, 4-3 is possibly the most boring case in the entire series(mostly owing to watching that loving video 200 times) and 4-4 is utter nonsense from start to finish.

That's not to say it didn't have some good ideas. Apollo himself is great once removed from AA4, for example, as is Trucy.

Brandfarlig posted:

It's one of those cases where everyone should go to jail (except for the lion). gently caress the murder, where's the case against the 2 adults that want to marry a 14/15 year old?

The biggest crime of all is the assault on physics with how that cloak moved onto the statue

Omobono posted:

I recall meeting Regina again, but not even the game. Hell, I'm not even sure if it happened in a 3D one or Investigations.
It had no Moe cross though, so by default it wasn't that bad.

I think it says a lot that I forgot the circus case but not Moe's cross examination.

She's in AAI2, but she has a very small role in the case. Frank Sawhit of all people gets a bigger role.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

AA Investigations 2 Entire Game spoilers: It's not so much Regina as another circus employee being the mastermind behind almost everything going on in that game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Lot of objectively wrong opinions in here.

Klavier was definitely the worst prosecutor, but it's not because he flips to your side real easy, it's because he's portrayed as doing so despite being the absolute sleaziest, cheatingest prosecutor in the series. Not even Manfred von Karma pulls anything as brazen as "hey witness I'm bored and I gotta go sign autographs. If you don't commit perjury and let me wrap up this trial it just might negatively impact your career," in the middle of a cross-examination.

Also Hobonick was entirely in character. You may hate that he's kind of a dick, but he's pretty justified in being one. You can also hate how bad he gets ratfucked after the original trilogy ends, that's fair. But the portrayal we see is entirely consistent with his character from the original trilogy plus having to spend seven years as a poker hobo.

Apollo Justice certainly wasn't without its flaws (case 3 and the Gavins in particular), but it at least let things happen. I'd take "positive character got absolutely crushed by life, is now a cynic" over "character is exactly the same as the last time you saw them, no matter how long ago that was, so now the precocious child is a developmentally impaired teenager" any day.

Zerilan posted:

Moe was like the only person in that case who wasn't an annoyingly naïve child or one of the people lusting after said child, so by default he was the only good person in that case.

You forgot the guy who wanted to murder the child for the crime of believing in the afterlife.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Yinlock posted:

AJ is kinda dire, 4-3 is possibly the most boring case in the entire series(mostly owing to watching that loving video 200 times) and 4-4 is utter nonsense from start to finish.

That's not to say it didn't have some good ideas. Apollo himself is great once removed from AA4, for example, as is Trucy.

The biggest crime of all is the assault on physics with how that cloak moved onto the statue

4-3 would be much improved if they could've made an actually listenable song instead of 15 notes on a toy keyboard. I agree about Apollo and Trucy, I just don't agree that it's the worst game by far.

poo poo, I thought GAA 1-4 was unusually boring because I figured it out as soon as moving the crime scene was mentioned. I was hoping for an additional twist and then there wasn't anything except for people not really giving a poo poo about an abusive idiot throwing a knife out of a window and putting another person into a coma and potentially another guy in prison for life. It's a very Sherlock Holmes case I guess but it's a very mundane case for the second to last trial. The investigation is fun but there's little mystery to the trial itself. Also, the sleepy cop irritated me so much. His wife is pretty entertaining but for fucks sake man, spit out your helmet strap and wake up. There's a life riding on this trial.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You forgot the guy who wanted to murder the child for the crime of believing in the afterlife.

well, she also did cause his brothers death by sprinkling pepper on his scarf that he always wore while performing/practicing. She's not deserving of the death penalty obviously but she is absolutely involved in causing a death

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 16, 2021

ltrhs
Oct 2, 2013
I'm not saying shu takumi is perfect or anything. But I mostly liked apollo justice, except the third case, and the way the final case was presented was kind of bad but I did like the mystery itself. I just think tying themselves to existing characters ends up being pretty limiting; and if you want more phoenix and edgeworth blushing at each other while maya goes on about hamburgers, you can read fanfiction.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also Hobonick was entirely in character. You may hate that he's kind of a dick, but he's pretty justified in being one. You can also hate how bad he gets ratfucked after the original trilogy ends, that's fair. But the portrayal we see is entirely consistent with his character from the original trilogy plus having to spend seven years as a poker hobo.

I'm honestly more annoyed they didn't keep some of that jaded cynicism when he was brought back in 5. Would have given him something to distinguish him from Apollo and Athena better.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Brandfarlig posted:

well, she also did cause his death by sprinkling pepper on his scarf that he always wore while performing/practicing. She's not deserving of the death penalty obviously but she is absolutely involved in causing a death

Oh yeah, but he understands the circumstances that led to it, and though he does blame her, he never thought to kill her over it. He knows that's not what his brother would have wanted. He specifically says that he decided to kill her because she always smiled when she talked about him "looking down on them from the stars" instead of being sad about it.

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm honestly more annoyed they didn't keep some of that jaded cynicism when he was brought back in 5. Would have given him something to distinguish him from Apollo and Athena better.

:yeah:

Like he does the shady "you're better off not knowing" face I think once in Dual Destinies and is otherwise just good ol' pre-troubles Nick. Let the man have his edge!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brandfarlig posted:

The anime removing that aspect completely was both a good choice and also incredibly funny that they realized how weird it was. Surprised they didn't just age Regina up slightly.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Man you know what would be cool, some sort of fun Ace Attorney Expansion Pack that's nothing but unique cases with no bigger ongoing secret plot or conspiracy that every AA game is required to do by law, just a bunch of unconnected cases so we can have an excuse for interesting character combos. Courtroom catfight as Athena goes up against Franziska. Apollo in Khura'in having to deal with a Klavier/Nahyuta double prosecutor attack with Trucy as assistant for a visit. Another retro throwback case with Phoenix, Edgeworth, Maya and Larry like SoJ's DLC case. etc etc.

It feels like it wouldn't be hard to Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon it and have a fun standalone expansion pack sequel thing.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think you can see a bit of Nick’s edgier side in 6-5 during the civil trial and the scenes leading up to the trial in Khura’in. He’s definitely more serious sounding and competent looking when you don’t have his inner dialogue going

I do like the fact that Athena picks up highly complex emotions from Nick in 5-3 when they talk about love triangles. Another thing he won’t ever elaborate on :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like hobonick a lot honestly. a dude changing in 7 years is pretty reasonable and hes an interesting character who still has flashes of the original phoenix. but people had a cry about something ever changing so now we have to deal with 3 defense attorneys and 3 prosecutors per game which means nobody gets any screentime, and nobody can ever develop either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

The anime removing that aspect completely was both a good choice and also incredibly funny that they realized how weird it was. Surprised they didn't just age Regina up slightly.

Didn't the anime just cut half of it entirely?