Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Kinda feel like an rear end in a top hat for getting my FCEV now. Sorry everyone :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Still better than a coal rolling pickup.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tayter Swift posted:

Kinda feel like an rear end in a top hat for getting my FCEV now. Sorry everyone :(

yeah but if you had a Tesla you’d be an rear end in a top hat, so don’t feel too bad

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Tayter Swift posted:

It’s more like the state of California’s fault for inexplicably offering double the rebate for a worse fuel type. Fixing that would do more for the environment than making you feel crummy about your car purchase.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Jesus christ and it's not even just a little worse than natural gas, that's like a full 20% greater greenhouse gas footprint. So with blue hydrogen a little bit of the CO2 is captured in exchange for emitting way more methane than natural gas. Sweet

Methane is a more potent greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide, but it also breaks down more quickly.

If I could snap my fingers and swap methane and CO2 emissions, I would totally do it, because things would get a lot worse a lot faster, and it'd get humanity off our collective asses to maybe not make an apocalyptic hellscape for my grandkids.

I wouldn't worry about it, Tayter Swift. We're trying a bunch of different technologies right now, as a species, and, welp, this one is looking a lot less promising now. That doesn't make you a jerk. It might make somebody else a jerk, if they knew about this and tried to keep it from getting out before you bought your car. Also bear in mind that as a piece of novel technology goes, a hydrogen car is just cool. In 20 years you can sell it to the next Jay Leno.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tayter Swift posted:

You're beta-testing the technology, so that it may be a viable option when better sources of hydrogen are available. It's a net good, IMO.

It's like the chicken/egg problem with electric cars and charging infrastructure. Nobody's going to invest in clean hydrogen generation until there's a feasible way to use it. You can't jump straight to the mature system.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Fair enough, thanks :)

I'm not quite at one month yet but I'll say I really like the dang car.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Big companies like BP have been investing in green hydrogen infrastructure!

... so that they can more effectively sell blue hydrogen, e.g. It is a greenwashing tactic

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Tayter Swift posted:

I don't think you have anything to apologize for and I've enjoyed your posts about your FCEV adventures.

I think fossil fuel companies and political lethargy are the problem, not individuals.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tayter Swift posted:

Every manufacturer has already commoditization the environmental benefit of any EV or FCEV you purchase. Because of the credit markets each non-ICE vehicle sold helps keep ICE vehicles on the road.

None of us actually get to take credit for any climate benefit because that credit was retained by the manufacturer at time of first sale.

cruft posted:

Methane is a more potent greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide, but it also breaks down more quickly.

If I could snap my fingers and swap methane and CO2 emissions, I would totally do it, because things would get a lot worse a lot faster, and it'd get humanity off our collective asses to maybe not make an apocalyptic hellscape for my grandkids.

If we had 400ppm methane I think the climate science indicates things would be so much worse that your grandkids would almost certainly be worse off. Even the 100 year global warming potential is 28x worse than co2, the 20 year global warming potential is like 80x co2. And swapping them would be ~1000x more methane than now.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Did my first fast charge using a 150kW Tritium Circle K charger today. I was pretty happy with the results. From 11% to 84% in 37minutes. 44,192kWh charged. I almost "caught up" with the Model 3 that for some reason waited for the 150kW charger only to start charging at 67% with made it charge well below 50kW (there were free 50Kw stalls). When I stopped at 84% he was at 90%. Can't wait to get my own ID.3 instead of the rental (although it's nice to drive for free).

Coolest was the e-Tron that got 72kW @ 96% (he only stayed that long because he had to charge to 100% to get home without another charge). Time flies when you talk to people about EVs while waiting / charging.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

If we had 400ppm methane I think the climate science indicates things would be so much worse that your grandkids would almost certainly be worse off. Even the 100 year global warming potential is 28x worse than co2, the 20 year global warming potential is like 80x co2. And swapping them would be ~1000x more methane than now.

Agreed, and to add some substance to these numbers. From Atmospheric methane (Wikipedia):

quote:

Methane in the Earth's atmosphere is a strong greenhouse gas with a global warming potential (GWP) 84 times greater than CO2 in a 20-year time frame; methane is not as persistent a gas as CO2 (assuming no change in carbon sequestration rates) and tails off to about GWP of 28 for a 100-year time frame. This means that a methane emission is projected to have 28 times the impact on temperature of a carbon dioxide emission of the same mass over the following 100 years assuming no change in the rates of carbon sequestration. Methane has a large effect but for a relatively brief period, having an estimated mean half-life of 9.1 years in the atmosphere, whereas carbon dioxide is currently given an estimated mean lifetime of over 100 years.

Section 4.2 of the "How green is blue hydrogen?" study linked a few comments back did a sensitivity analysis with several different values of methane emission GWPs (GWP20 = 86, GWP20 = 105, and GWP100 = 34). Here is the relevant excerpt and table from section 4.2:

quote:

Our baseline analysis is based on a 20-year GWP value of 86.13 There is uncertainty in this estimate, so here we also explore the higher 20-year GWP value of 105 presented in Shindell et al.42 Most traditional greenhouse gas inventories use a 100-year GWP, so we explore that as well, using the latest value from the IPCC13 synthesis report of 34. However, the IPCC13 noted that the use of a 100-year time period is arbitrary. We prefer the use of 20-year GWP, since it better captures the role of methane as a driver of climate change over the time period of the next several decades, and the 100-year time frame discounts the importance of methane over these shorter time frames.15, 24

The GWP20 and GWP100 values in the table above are based on IPCC13. Out of curiosity I checked the GWP values from the IPCC Sixth Assessment report that came out earlier this week (warning: full version is 1200 page PDF).

The table below is from the chapter 7 supplemental material. Methane emission GWP20 and GWP100 values are highlighted in red:

A so the GWP20 and GWP100 values from the latest IPCC report are 95% and 82% of the values used in the sensitivity analysis results table from the "How green is blue hydrogen?" study, respectively (81.2/86.0 = 0.944 and 27.9/34 = 0.820).

Even accounting for the updated IPCC GWP20 and GWP100 values, I don't think it substantially alters the conclusion from the "How green is blue hydrogen?" study, which was that blue hydrogen is not particularly green.

Edit: Fix typos, clean up grammar.

MrPablo fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 15, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

If we had 400ppm methane I think the climate science indicates things would be so much worse that your grandkids would almost certainly be worse off.

I think it would spur everyone into action quicker if things got worse in a hurry.

Anyway.

I'm charging in Albuquerque again, and predictably, i had to wait. Also there's this:

While I appreciate the sentiment, this is not a good look.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

cruft posted:

I think it would spur everyone into action quicker if things got worse in a hurry.

Maybe, I'm not so sure. A good chunk of the west coast was on fire last summer and that still didn't convince everyone.

cruft posted:

I've seen the exact same nonsense at the Springfield, VA Supercharger. There aren't trash cans so people just leave empty bottles and trash on the grass.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

Did my first fast charge using a 150kW Tritium Circle K charger today. I was pretty happy with the results. From 11% to 84% in 37minutes. 44,192kWh charged. I almost "caught up" with the Model 3 that for some reason waited for the 150kW charger only to start charging at 67% with made it charge well below 50kW (there were free 50Kw stalls). When I stopped at 84% he was at 90%. Can't wait to get my own ID.3 instead of the rental (although it's nice to drive for free).

Coolest was the e-Tron that got 72kW @ 96% (he only stayed that long because he had to charge to 100% to get home without another charge). Time flies when you talk to people about EVs while waiting / charging.

Yeah the "rule" that you shouldn't charge above 80% doesn't really count when you get that speed at that charge level.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

MrPablo posted:

I've seen the exact same nonsense at the Springfield, VA Supercharger. There aren't trash cans so people just leave empty bottles and trash on the grass.

I don't get it. The frunk is such a perfect place for packing out garbage, it won't stink up the cabin or anything. I always have a garbage bag in the frunk for just such eventualities.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I complain about it in the local thread but techbros can't seem to be bothered to walk a few feet to an empty garbage can when they have a picnic outside. :rolleyes:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cruft posted:

Anyway.

I'm charging in Albuquerque again, and predictably, i had to wait. Also there's this:

This is a very "maybe the building manager will hurry up on installing fire sprinklers if I burn down the whole building" sort of post

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

This is a very "maybe the building manager will hurry up on installing fire sprinklers if I burn down the whole building" sort of post

I feel like it's more a "I've been telling you jerks for decades that the building in going to burn down, and you didn't do anything. Now it's actively burning and you're just getting around to wondering if you should do something about it." kind of post.

People don't have an easy time planning decades in advance.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/tesla/?offset=0

Oh my loving god okay that's out of the question.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/nissan/leaf/

Ummm..... loving hell WHAT

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/toyota/prius/

Ouch even a old Prius aint cheap.

Basically the ICE here is just sitting about and I'm looking for a hybrid / EV runabout I can just plug in esp given these days the biggest trip I drive is only 15km. But woooow. Used car prices are absurd.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2016-subaru-levorg-2-0-gt-s-v1-auto-awd-my17/SSE-AD-7056888/?Cr=14

AHHHHHHHH WTF that's the equivalent of mine with similar kms what the gently caress I paid almost the same price 4 years ago so not just EV's altho those Tesla prices are ridiculous

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

22.9k AUD (16.9k USD) for a 2015 Leaf.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
In Australia? With no cooling system? 🤯

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Lol 16,000 AUD for an early Leaf

Those would be worth like 6-7k NZD (and be overpriced at that)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Charles posted:

In Australia? With no cooling system? 🤯

Esp where it is becoming usual to have 48-49C days in January / February.

To be fair, there's a bunch of ICE cars that explode on days like that. I've gone home after one of those days and the side of the highway is littered with bonnet up cars with overheated engines - more so given I live in what passes for mountains here.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
There's a group that does coordinated purchases and imports from Japan of used Leafs. I'll see if I can find a link.

Found it: https://www.goodcar.co/bze-sydney-north-bulk-buy?hsLang=en

It's no better

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I need a sign that says:

Dog in car, AC running, it's AN ELECTRIC CAR!

Because Nextdoor.com people are talking about breaking windows.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Esp where it is becoming usual to have 48-49C days in January / February.

To be fair, there's a bunch of ICE cars that explode on days like that. I've gone home after one of those days and the side of the highway is littered with bonnet up cars with overheated engines - more so given I live in what passes for mountains here.

I don't know much about Leafs but my car is *actively* air cooled and the batteries still die in hot climates. Here's it's typically been 0-25C so I'm fine but we're seeing more days 30+ :(

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

VideoGameVet posted:

I need a sign that says:

Dog in car, AC running, it's AN ELECTRIC CAR!

Because Nextdoor.com people are talking about breaking windows.

Did Tesla patent dog mode or something? Why can't everybody else rip it off, please?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A very well named electric scooter with 3 or 4 kWh, 90 or 115 kph top speed.

https://electrek.co/2021/08/16/ola-shocks-with-beautiful-high-tech-70-mph-electric-scooters-the-entire-world-needs-to-see/

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/ap/status/1427246263683190786?s=21

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lol

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

As a happy Model 3 owner without FSD, I say: good riddance.

I've had a variation of this conversation several times: "Tesla vehicles are currently the some of best EVs on the market. No, they don't really drive themselves and they won't for a long time. Current 'self driving' technology is a scam and not safe."

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

It seems clear to me that level 3+ technology needs to be regulated.
It's crazy that they're allowed to release this stuff to the public without having to prove it won't try to kill people 5% of the time.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I once heard that way more people died when car(t)s were pulled by horses, and that the automobile wound up being much safer in terms of roadway casualties.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

EngineerJoe posted:

It seems clear to me that level 3+ technology needs to be regulated.
It's crazy that they're allowed to release this stuff to the public without having to prove it won't try to kill people 5% of the time.

The driver remains responsible for controlling the car, regardless of any self-driving technology. The law does not recognize a self-driving car, so relying on it is a gamble. If the car crashes, the one behind the wheel is on the hook for it, not the seller of the technology.

It would take a separate law suit, I guess, of a driver suing the company for deceiving them.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is there any tool or app that you could use to like... Test out if an ev might work for you? Put in miles driven, charging speed, and see if what you're doing in your ICE car would be doable with a BEV and if a L1/L2 charger would keep up with your needs?

Probably a super niche thing but I could see it as a useful tool for people to see if their driving habits would work with a BEV

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Is there any tool or app that you could use to like... Test out if an ev might work for you? Put in miles driven, charging speed, and see if what you're doing in your ICE car would be doable with a BEV and if a L1/L2 charger would keep up with your needs?

Probably a super niche thing but I could see it as a useful tool for people to see if their driving habits would work with a BEV

Someone linked a route planner that was tailored for EVs earlier. You could pick a specific EV model then plan a route (with starting charge %) and it’d tell you which way to go, where to charge (for how long), etc. I used it to get a ballpark figure of how much my commute would use charge wise then see how often/frequent I’d need to charge.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ is a good site, and it gets pretty on the nose when you put in cold weather.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

ABRP is ok as a reckoner but underestimates my range in general, and significantly if there's an elevation difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I also think it underestimates range, but then again that's not too bad if you want an approximation erring on the side of caution.

Ola fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 16, 2021