Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

I said come in! posted:

I like this and the possibilities, but it doesn't seem very safe.
Extreme tripping hazard aside, the biggest issue is the floor wildly sliding around under you. This would also move you in VR, because of how tracking works! And if it wouldn't, that would almost be worse, because then you have a visual disconnect from the motion your body feels, which would result in extreme disorientation and probably loss of balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Don’t have a big play space for room scale experiences?

Well too bad because the robo floor requires even more space

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

As a proof of concept it's interesting. It needs to be way more responsive, but if they can essentially create a 360 treadmill with extreme responsiveness to changes in the weighting of your feet then it could be cool. I don't know if the technology is there yet though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vib Rib posted:

Extreme tripping hazard aside, the biggest issue is the floor wildly sliding around under you. This would also move you in VR, because of how tracking works! And if it wouldn't, that would almost be worse, because then you have a visual disconnect from the motion your body feels, which would result in extreme disorientation and probably loss of balance.

I mean, it would probably feel like walking on a treadmill without moving, but with the world moving past you. That'd probably feel fine. Its basically a better version of armswinger, not absolutely real but better than just standing still and pushing a stick as far as nausea goes.

You could also potentially factor the robot movement into the VR game so it'd be able to tell your movement that way.

But yeah, overall walking on those with a HMD on would be pretty dangerous if you tripped.

I could see a much much much better version of this being the way things work in 2040.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Any kind of external-device based solution is going to be so much worse and so much more expensive than arm-based locomotion unless technology somehow drastically improves for mechanical devices, or we get brain machine interfaces working well

It helps that arm based locomotion is already very good

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Vib Rib posted:

Nah, when this is working right it's functionally identical to a proper omnidirectional treadmill. There's very little visual/motion disconnect when you're actually in movement because your body only senses accelerations and decelerations. The roughest part is the starting and stopping but with a good control system you can deal with that by keeping your compensating accelerations/decelerations below the perceptible threshold.

As far as the tracking, you use the built in tracking but apply the same offsets as the floor is applying to you, which makes it feel like you're infinitely walking in any direction.

These active floor tile systems are a pretty hilariously over-engineered solution that have a bunch of drawbacks but one neat thing about this example is that the tiles can raise and lower to simulate things like climbing stairs. You definitely can't do that on a normal omni treadmill.

My favorite crazy over-engineered solution is this guy's mounted exoskeleton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdEXlImlP2s

I'm working on my own unique solution right now that's a lot simpler than any other powered omni treadmill I've seen, so I am a little invested in the idea that a well done omni treadmill is a very cool thing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Tip posted:

Nah, when this is working right it's functionally identical to a proper omnidirectional treadmill. There's very little visual/motion disconnect when you're actually in movement because your body only senses accelerations and decelerations.
Are we watching the same video? Because I'm seeing a ton of sudden starts/stops and there's a lot of acceleration and deceleration to sense here.
Or do you mean "when it's working right" in a sense of this system being some sort of hypothetical ideal where that doesn't happen?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

VR QWOP simulator looking good

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Nice death machine.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
there's a reason they didn't include the original sound in that vid, lol

https://youtu.be/oO4VTUbzEL0

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Vib Rib posted:

Are we watching the same video? Because I'm seeing a ton of sudden starts/stops and there's a lot of acceleration and deceleration to sense here.
Or do you mean "when it's working right" in a sense of this system being some sort of hypothetical ideal where that doesn't happen?

I meant in a general sense that there's nothing inherently wrong with the fundamental concept of what it's doing.

As far as that video, well it's a bunch of sped up footage of an early research prototype. You kinda have to judge it on potential more than the current quality of the implementation. :shrug:

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

H3VR has taught me a few things, i need to start working out again, i need to remember not to ignore the boundary i set on my headset or i will punch things in my house and im genuinely useless at aiming a gun.
Pretty great game though, really loving it and the developer guy seems actually kinda cool. I was pretty concerned a game with as many real life guns as this was gonna be by like just the worst fuckin scumbags.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I can't believe Pistol Whip tricked me into doing exercise, what is going on here.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Lemming posted:

Any kind of external-device based solution is going to be so much worse and so much more expensive than arm-based locomotion unless technology somehow drastically improves for mechanical devices, or we get brain machine interfaces working well

It helps that arm based locomotion is already very good

As a corollary to that, I really liked NaLo's implementation of basically running in place with the trackers on. It feels silly and honestly is kind of silly, but it works really well compared to just using a stick.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kullik posted:

H3VR has taught me a few things, i need to start working out again, i need to remember not to ignore the boundary i set on my headset or i will punch things in my house and im genuinely useless at aiming a gun.
Pretty great game though, really loving it and the developer guy seems actually kinda cool. I was pretty concerned a game with as many real life guns as this was gonna be by like just the worst fuckin scumbags.

Yeah I remember being pleasantly surprised and I think making a similar post here when I found out Anton isn't a nazi and by all accounts seems to be pretty cool. Check out take and hold if you haven't yet, it's definitely the most fun "game" you can play in there but it took me forever to find out it was even there.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

With the sequel coming I finally got around to completing Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin. I think I was pretty cold on it early on because unlike most of the other VR games I was trying it didn't have any hand tracking and was all based around where you were looking. Once I met it on its terms I started enjoying it a lot more, it's short and the puzzles are relatively simple but if you liked the style of the original game that's captured really well in VR. Looking forward to Psychonauts 2 now!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

'Man, I wonder why people complain so much of the Elite strap, mine is fine after so many mon...'

gently caress.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

This is like the PS3/4 headsets Sony put out, they just kept throwing them out with a single point of failure and there was a constant tug of war on the internet between 'It's fine for me!!!' and 'gently caress!!!' depending on how long it took for each pair to poo poo the bed

It seems you can get away with a lot of corner cutting in the world of disposable plastic rubbish, except if it's supposed to stay wrapped around your skull

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Kullik posted:

"Why hot dogs?" Is by far the best idle Sosig chatter and his reasons for it are cool and good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

the walking is simulated, but the head trauma when one of those things fails to anticipate your steps correctly will be very real

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
With no one willing to fund and develop high end PC VR games anymore, we will never get anything as daring as boneworks or as cutting edge as Alyx for a long time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npYitUff-_I

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Hopefully the future AAA VR games Sony says they want to make will also come to PC.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The United States posted:

With no one willing to fund and develop high end PC VR games anymore, we will never get anything as daring as boneworks or as cutting edge as Alyx for a long time

Hold up, 13:16. You can headbutt in Boneworks?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can everything in Boneworks

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Don't forget Asgards Wrath. A 40+ hour action RPG good enough to be played in 2D.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I tried a VR attraction when I was in Vegas, for shits n giggles.

I tried the game where you're in a spooky Doom like castle. Killing spiders and skeletons n poo poo

The seat vibrates and shakes. It sprays air in your face in certain parts of the game.
You use a joystick to aim and shoot. The game lasted about 15 minutes.
For the tourists who haven't tried real VR, it probably impressed them.

The games graphics were like Doom 64. But with high fps, low quality textures. Nowhere near the current top pcvr games.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ChocNitty posted:

Don't forget Asgards Wrath. A 40+ hour action RPG good enough to be played in 2D.

Is it pretty good? I remember we got it for free from oculus for whatever reason and I could do an rpg that doesn’t involve loving with Skyrim

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ChocNitty posted:

I tried a VR attraction when I was in Vegas, for shits n giggles.

On the topic of VR attractions, the Cartoon Network Hotel that opened in Lancaster, PA last year has a VR area where you can pay way too much to play some Cartoon Network themed games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70dsVIs6TuY&hd=1

I assume it runs on standard hardware since I saw SteamVR popups on the spectator screen in between people playing it, but I've never seen it anywhere other than there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m having a really weird moment with Rez Infinite on Quest.

Rez is probably top five on my list of favourite games so I was shocked I didn’t realize it had made it to Quest last year. I just grabbed a copy right now and … it feels weird. There’s SOMETHING off about the music and audio that I can’t put my finger on and I don’t know if it’s this port or if I’m just remembering the game wrong from previous iterations.

I seem to remember this game being MUCH more rhythmically synced than this port is. If I mashed the controller to shoot down items on the Xbox version I seem to remember all the shooting happening to the beat, even if I didn’t chain a five-shot. No matter what I did it still sounded “good”.

But now, I’m mashing individual shots and the audio seems to be really choppy and stilted. Like nothing is happening on the beat, and the underlying background music looks like it’s really stuttering for it too.

Part of it is that the game has such unique audio characteristics so even if I was articulating everything properly it would sound like a weird explanation but as it is I’m not entirely sure I’m explaining it properly.

So I dunno, I guess I’ll throw this out there: Anyone else here a huge die-hard Rez fan who thought this port had some REALLY weird shooting/audio timing characteristics?

E: Just to be clear, I know you’re not supposed to just spam single-shots, but I don’t remember it being so rhythm-breaking in previous ports.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 16, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played a lot of Rez during my formative videogaming years and can safely say the Steam VR version felt fantastic and true to the original. It made the game piss easy because of how fast you can whip your head around compared to moving the cursor but didn't notice any sync issues. AND this would've been over wifi through Virtual Desktop to my quest, too. If you can do the same maybe try buying the steam version and giving that one a try? You could always refund the steam one if it's not better, and get a refund for the Quest version if it is.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah that’s a good point. I’ll stop playing the Quest one for now to hold my gameplay clock low and try the Steam version. Even my crappy gaming Pc should be able to handle this one, I think.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is it pretty good? I remember we got it for free from oculus for whatever reason and I could do an rpg that doesn’t involve loving with Skyrim

It is certainly worth the money. It does overstay its welcome by the fourth hero though, as each time you go through a hero's "arc" they get more powerful and are able to more easily murder shielded dudes at will. Then you get a NEW hero who can't do any of that and is made out of wet tissue paper and the cycle repeats.

For a $40 platform exclusive (and launch title?) it certainly was enjoyable. Agree on the 40+ hours, too.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I really should give Asgard's Wrath another try, I got pretty much right up to the first part on the beach after going through that whole intro bit in the sea and never came back to it. I probably spent more time walking around smashing bottles on people's heads in the bar than anything which, to be fair, was incredibly fun.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you got Asgard’s Wrath for free like I think a lot of us did it’s well worth the hard drive space.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

explosivo posted:

I really should give Asgard's Wrath another try, I got pretty much right up to the first part on the beach after going through that whole intro bit in the sea and never came back to it. I probably spent more time walking around smashing bottles on people's heads in the bar than anything which, to be fair, was incredibly fun.

The beach is where the game actually kicks off into its proper form, where you get a combination first-person Skyrim VR Slashemup mashed together with the Moss or Down the Rabbit Hole style dollhouse puzzle game. Add to that puzzles involving sidekicks with extremely specific abilities that you can command to kill poo poo. And if you're a completionist like me, it has the little checklist to let you know how many collectibles and quests you have or have not done per area, so you can explore everything and comfortably write off a level as done-and-done.

Asgard's Wrath is a pretty awesome game that could have just been a flat game with multiple perspectives, but the sheer spectacle of it could only be done correctly in VR. The first time I went back to the tavern in Asgard and realized I could be the tiny little human on the anvil, switched perspective, and then looked up at the GIGANTIC blacksmith giving an inquisitive look toward me is something I don't think you can recreate without VR. That poo poo was like staring into the face of God and realizing how small you are.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Can anyone recommend PC VR games where I can play with mouse+keyboard controls but use VR? I don't have space to actually swing my arms around for any games that require VR controllers but I'm not familiar with many games that I can play while sitting with regular PC controls - Elite Dangeous is the only one I can think of

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
If you didn't IMMEDIATELY throw your weapon into the blacksmith's face, then get disappointed when he didn't react (even if it would be just a pinprick) you're lying. :colbert:

If you do go through, save yourself some cash (and make upgrades easier) by immediately doing the "find the totem and relics hidden in the area" puzzle as soon as you unlock each god altar. It gives rare materials that you use for upgrading your weapons/armor/followers. You can buy it all eventually, but it will save you some cash/grinding.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Can anyone recommend PC VR games where I can play with mouse+keyboard controls but use VR? I don't have space to actually swing my arms around for any games that require VR controllers but I'm not familiar with many games that I can play while sitting with regular PC controls - Elite Dangeous is the only one I can think of

If you add the VR improvements mod to Subnautica, it plays fine with a gamepad and is actually really quite neat that way.

Any of the driving/flying/space sims that support VR should do as well.

Pokerstars, while it does use actual VR controls, is very much a seated, low-volume game, since everything is happening basically right above your lap. It is also, incidentally, possibly the best social VR experience out there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Boneworks was an indie project though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

explosivo posted:

Yeah I remember being pleasantly surprised and I think making a similar post here when I found out Anton isn't a nazi and by all accounts seems to be pretty cool. Check out take and hold if you haven't yet, it's definitely the most fun "game" you can play in there but it took me forever to find out it was even there.
I liked Return of the Rottwieners, but I didn't like how it doesn't save your inventory. Every time I load up the game I have to spend like 10 minutes just going around the various shops and reward buildings and getting myself equipped before I head out. If saving inventory was impossible in the engine, it would have at least been nice to put all your unlocked stuff in one central armory, so I didn't have to take long hikes to all the different locales just to pick up stuff I've already earned.