Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I just got in King's Dilemma, Splendor, My City, Nuns on the Run, Sonar and Eldritch Horror

Are there any rules easy to mess up on Nuns On the Run? I see that hitting the table tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Slimy Hog posted:

You sure about that? your weird definition is way down at #5 and "facist" is #1

I'm done sidetracking the conversation after this, but Google's preview gave me the #5 result instead of the #1.

I just played a few solo games of Regicide, and even though I really like it, I found it very easy. I even played with the app helper to see if I missed any rules. My first game, I accidentally missed the rule where combos cannot total over 10. In every game I needed both Jokers, so I guess it wasnt that bad. Does anyone else find it easy solo?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I'm helping a friend move his poo poo and he's trying to get me to take his Pirates of the Spanish Main collection. Anyone have any word on this thing? The punch-out ships are charming, but what even ist?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
X-wing minis meets pirates of the Caribbean, minus about 15 years of progress in game design.

For what it's worth, now that you mention it i do regret all over again that i lost mine in a move.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Someone got lucky over on reddit

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Imperium: Legends just arrived and I am irrationally excited.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Infinitum posted:

Someone got lucky over on reddit

I audibly groaned when I saw the remake was Cthulhu themed

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Eh, it fits thematically and looks pretty well done, and since they don't have to pay for a license, a lot less expen...oh, oh no, nevermind

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

El Fideo posted:

I'm helping a friend move his poo poo and he's trying to get me to take his Pirates of the Spanish Main collection. Anyone have any word on this thing? The punch-out ships are charming, but what even ist?

I only got to play it a couple of times back in the day, as I had to ditch it all when I moved countries, but it really was a lot of fun. Could be played with just two or three packs of cards (but of course we got a bunch more). Pulling the mast pieces out to indicate damage points made it more instantly visible of the state of play than regular miniatures would have been, which made up for them being “only” cardstock ships.

I would totally play that game again, you should grab those ships.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I think I will. There's way more than a few packs of cards, and it's at least worth a try.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

S.J. posted:

Because of how good the Arkham Horror LCG is, I believe that FFG should be the only makers of Cthulhu games. And they are only allowed the LCG + one boxed game every other year. Anyone else is banned.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Have been having lots of fun playing ERA Medieval Age - has anyone tried the Rivers & Roads expansion, and the various Collector Sets?

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

El Fideo posted:

I have a bunch of this game, from a scattering of the cycles. It definitely shows its age, there's no doubt that game design has moved forward drastically since it was released. It can also be very swingy and luck based, while the tactical aspects can be a touch finicky in the "Haha, my ship is a fraction of a millimeter too far away for you to shoot!" way. I shudder to think what the tournament scene would have been like.

However, if you're playing with some chill people, it makes a reasonably fun lightweight pirate ship tactical combat game. Definitely worth it for free, and the figures are kinda cute. Plus, depending which content your friend has, you can use a giant squid to eat your friends ships.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I finally pulled the trigger and pick up A Feast for Odin. This is a heavy game with a lot of cardboard. I don't even know where to begin to learn how to play this, but I will figure it out.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Rusty Kettle posted:

Because of how good the Arkham Horror LCG is, I believe that FFG should be the only makers of Cthulhu games. And they are only allowed the LCG + one boxed game every other year. Anyone else is banned.
I love Arkham LCG but I basically ignore every other Cthulhu-themed game.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Mansions of Madness is fun when you stop playing to win and start playing to make the funniest story your group of bumbling idiots can manage

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Anyone try the new Descent game?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Dungeon Degenerates is rolling into its last week on KS and it seems right up my alley but the buy in is intense. anyone able to share their impressions if they have it?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
My friends and I rented out an Airbnb for a weekend of inebriated board games

Wavelength x2, Just One x2, Say Anything, Telestrations, King's Dilemma x3, Architects of the West Kingdom, Istanbul, Euphoria, Calico, Dungeon Petz, Call to Adventure, Cosmic Encounter, Bring Your Own Book, Time's Up Title Recall, Taverns of Tiefenthal

We started gaming on Thursday evening with Taverns. Played games all day Friday and Saturday, finished the night with a bonfire followed by some party games to end the night.

Just got home this afternoon.

A good weekend.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
You can use Pirates of the Spanish Main ships as tokens while playing the TTRPG Beat to Quarters and that was my justification for buying a huge random lot from eBay one time. It was fun making them all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SettingSun posted:

I finally pulled the trigger and pick up A Feast for Odin. This is a heavy game with a lot of cardboard. I don't even know where to begin to learn how to play this, but I will figure it out.

It's not as complex as it looks. Punching it will take you longer than learning it.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Yeah Feast is typical worker placement. Place worker(s), get tetris pieces to put on your board. You will be fine

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

SettingSun posted:

The best tip for learning is that the rows are different action types and the columns are basically stronger versions of each action (generally speaking). There are a few good player aids on BGG that have the action grid typed out for you to decipher the iconography.

Also, for for the D8 (hunting/whaling) you want to roll low, for the D12 you want to roll high. Smaller die low, bigger die high.

And make sure you understand the placement rules well for the different board types (home/buildings/islands/feast). That and the action spaces is like 90% of the learning. 

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

S.J. posted:

I'm surprised they didn't go with Android or Twilight Imperium

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Android would be way more compelling but is not as popular an IP sadly. New Angeles was a great game (if too long) but didn't do so well.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Parkingtigers posted:

I only got to play it a couple of times back in the day, as I had to ditch it all when I moved countries, but it really was a lot of fun. Could be played with just two or three packs of cards (but of course we got a bunch more). Pulling the mast pieces out to indicate damage points made it more instantly visible of the state of play than regular miniatures would have been, which made up for them being “only” cardstock ships.

I would totally play that game again, you should grab those ships.

I remember the little ships were surprisingly high quality printing and assembly. They were neat as hell and the use of every little component (including the empty punch-out cards for measuring) was nifty.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

SettingSun posted:

You can buy ships for the cost of the victory points printed on them. It does not cost an action. This is the only rule that people tend to gloss over.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Pirates of the Spanish Main was a fantastic idea bungled by Wizkids being who they are. Really poor distribution early on, but more importantly absolutely atrocious balance and typical old school lazy wargame design of just roll a bunch of d6s and see what happens. It may have gotten better with later sets but I don't know. That framework of an idea of a lightweight small scale minis game that comes in booster packs would probably still be really awesome today if it was designed around the idea of draft and sealed as opposed to doing it solely as a predatory blind bag gambling sales model.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The Eyes Have It posted:

I remember the little ships were surprisingly high quality printing and assembly. They were neat as hell and the use of every little component (including the empty punch-out cards for measuring) was nifty.

There was also a bunch of fun special editions (ghost ships, transparent monsters, etc). Did a lot of trading in the day.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

HopperUK posted:

TTRPG Beat to Quarters

Hadn't heard of this before. Doesn't matter if I almost certainly won't get to play a TTRPG again. Sold, American!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Mayveena posted:

Anyone try the new Descent game?

I ordered a copy due to a bit of FOMO but realistically won't get to it for at least several weeks. I really want to know how well they executed the idea.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Bottom Liner posted:

Android would be way more compelling but is not as popular an IP sadly. New Angeles was a great game (if too long) but didn't do so well.

An android game where you're all runners pulling off jobs trying to sus out who the corps infiltrators in your group are would be great.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Magnetic North posted:

Hadn't heard of this before. Doesn't matter if I almost certainly won't get to play a TTRPG again. Sold, American!

If you'd rather do Sharpe than Hornblower the army version is called Duty and Honour! I reckon you could use Gamemaster's Apprentice 'Age of Sail' cards to auto-GM yourself a good time, maybe.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Bottom Liner posted:

Also, for for the D8 (hunting/whaling) you want to roll low, for the D12 you want to roll high. Smaller die low, bigger die high.

You roll low for hunting, high for raiding/pillaging. Whaling uses the d12 and the 1 viking raid uses the d8.

Feast is my favorite game and I bought it and Norwegians because of this thread. Thanks, thread.

My one problem with it is how strong being the starting player is and how the first player gets to monopolize whaling the first 2 turns or so, in particular with Norwegians. We haven't found any reason to not go: 1v grab 2 wood, 1v whaling ship and then go whaling and finishing with upgrading your whale tiles or grabbing an island. The other players also want resources but will have to pick 2v actions and if they build a longship they can only go 1v raiding that turn. And since you place vikings 4 times you're likely to go first turn 2. That, or your opponents don't have whaling ships or 3 silver since it's turn 2.

Still a fantastic game at 2+ players even if it can be annoying to be playing at a disadvantage because of one dice roll. The game is all about snowballing so always having the best turn 1 is strong.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh poo poo, forgot New Angeles was a thing. Need to find a cheap copy.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Brandfarlig posted:

You roll low for hunting, high for raiding/pillaging. Whaling uses the d12 and the 1 viking raid uses the d8.

Feast is my favorite game and I bought it and Norwegians because of this thread. Thanks, thread.

My one problem with it is how strong being the starting player is and how the first player gets to monopolize whaling the first 2 turns or so, in particular with Norwegians. We haven't found any reason to not go: 1v grab 2 wood, 1v whaling ship and then go whaling and finishing with upgrading your whale tiles or grabbing an island. The other players also want resources but will have to pick 2v actions and if they build a longship they can only go 1v raiding that turn. And since you place vikings 4 times you're likely to go first turn 2. That, or your opponents don't have whaling ships or 3 silver since it's turn 2.

Still a fantastic game at 2+ players even if it can be annoying to be playing at a disadvantage because of one dice roll. The game is all about snowballing so always having the best turn 1 is strong.

I'm probably not the best AFfO player but I'm not so certain whaling is really that strong. You have to spend extra actions and vikings converting those red and green tiles into better tiles, while raiding and pillaging just give you blues straight up. Whaling looks really attractive in terms of tile coverage, but I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that pillaging and raiding is better. Maybe you first turn is a little weaker but I think pillaging overtakes it soon enough.

With Norwegians added my highest score came from breeding pigs and horses while going heavy on longhouses so there are heaps more viable strategies with the expansion too.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Had a really fun game of Twilight Imperium on Saturday. Really really loving the expansion, adds a lot of fun exciting stuff, but nothing that breaks the game, and seems pretty balanced?

One thing we noted though, was that, more than ever it REALLY pays to play with the same faction more than once. I played the same one as I had last time (Titans of Ul) and I won, and it felt in no small part to just 'not' having that turn where you go "Ah, drat, I should have done X earlier".

I think the Titans are my favourite faction, and the fact that their commander is called "Tungstantus the gardener" really seals the deal for me.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Pillaging and Raiding is also the only way to get odd-shaped tiles, which can be critical when aiming for max efficiency and designing around inconvenient income spots or weird island shapes.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

2v raid is as good as whaling but it's very hard to turn down covering 17 squares. And the cost of upgrading whale meat is minimal between the 1v upgrade 2 and the last viking action. The 2x3 bone tile is typically good enough to get some income going. I usually dabble in both whaling and raiding since they are 2 of the 4 or 5 best actions in the game and there's no reason to not contest them.

I hope the upcoming expansion has some kind of solution to how good going first is since that's basically my only problem with the game. Animals still aren't fantastic in Norwegians but horses are decent points at least.

I haven't played against anyone going very heavy on houses and animals from the start but unless you're playing with 4 people you're leaving some very good squares for everyone else.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I wish there was like... a preview of the expansion at the very least.