Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

dexefiend posted:

The positive outcome of this is now have an XFM2 and an XVA1 for like $300, which is a hell of a lot of synth per dollar.

XFM is super rad. Is the XVA just the same guts but flashed with different code? I use mine with MidiHub and just vomit out random Eno ambient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Yes. It's the exact same hardware for a virtual analog synth.

quote:

XVA1 is 32-voice, 4-oscillators per voice, with a powerful parallel built-in effects processor, completely built on an FPGA chip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Eeg_gAxQSs

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

dexefiend posted:

Yes. It's the exact same hardware for a virtual analog synth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Eeg_gAxQSs

:eyepop: Thats amazing for the size and cost

Since its got so many voices, do it do multitimbral?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I know the XFM2 can be bitimbral, but I am not sure about the XVA1.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Update to my blowing up my Diode Chaos module.

I found the chip I needed in my Doepfer VCA module, so I plucked it out, put it in the Diode Chaos, and it still doesn't work, so something beyond the op amp chip that I fried is broken. Seeing if Mouser will cancel my order (it hasn't been shipped yet) and ordering a whole new Diode Chaos kit. :10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

:rock: HAIL SATAN :rock:

For the record, I put the chip back in the Doepfer VCA and tested it, everything works, so at least I didn't destroy that module, too.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I bought an omnichord from the US. this is like a 20IQ question but are battery sizes universal? I’m waiting on a step down converter but can I just whack some AU C batteries in tbis dude

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Bought a Zlob Modular Diode Chaos kit off Amazon. Took 2 hours to build. Realized when I put it in my rack that the 10-pin power connector was on the wrong side of the board. Spent another 2 and a half hours desoldering it and then clearing solder out of the holes and then putting it in right. Tested the pins, everything looks good, plug it in, turn it on, POP!

I put an IC chip in the wrong way around. :eng99:

Chip smells. I flip it around and try again. Unit powers on, but instead of alternating between red and blue, it just stays red. A new chip is less than a dollar, but shipping is either $4 for 7-10 days or $8 for 2-day. Might as well get a couple extra chips in case I blow up another one! Ordering chips from Mouser at midnight on a Saturday-into-Sunday night. Briefly consider just buying another $50 Diode Chaos kit off Amazon. Nah, I’m going to try and salvage this.

This is my hobby. This is what I do to relax and to have fun. :emo:

So in the words of the learning electronics thread, you have experienced the magic blue flame. You are now part of the inner circle.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I bought an omnichord from the US. this is like a 20IQ question but are battery sizes universal? I’m waiting on a step down converter but can I just whack some AU C batteries in tbis dude

If they're Australian you have to put them in upside down. No, wait, you have to put American batteries in upside down in Australia, the Australian batteries are designed to compensate for that. I think.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

petit choux posted:

If they're Australian you have to put them in upside down. No, wait, you have to put American batteries in upside down in Australia, the Australian batteries are designed to compensate for that. I think.

No, the compensation is in the device electronics. If it's an American model, with Australian batteries, then they definitely need to go in backwards.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Lead out in cuffs posted:

No, the compensation is in the device electronics. If it's an American model, with Australian batteries, then they definitely need to go in backwards.

Oh, and thanks to you for the update. I'm still def gonna get this device, just need to sell a few more cheap and/or broken keyboards first.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

dexefiend posted:

I have built an XFM2 with MIDI Out, and I bought a PCB with pins that were ready for MIDI Out.

It involves one 33 ohm resistor...

I have two XFM2s with no MIDI Out.

I am cursed.

The positive outcome of this is now have an XFM2 and an XVA1 for like $300, which is a hell of a lot of synth per dollar.

Wait, don't you mean MIDI in?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
No. The MIDI In works just fine.

The MIDI Out is to enable CTRLR interface on my computer.

It is fine. There is an interface written in something that uses the USB/COM port instead.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Might make a weekend trip to Chicago Music Exchange to see what's in stock, if I can get 2 days off from work in a row. I think I want a Novation Summit as an upgrade from the Deepmind. Then maybe use it for piano lessons.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Cheese Thief posted:

Might make a weekend trip to Chicago Music Exchange to see what's in stock, if I can get 2 days off from work in a row. I think I want a Novation Summit as an upgrade from the Deepmind. Then maybe use it for piano lessons.

Oh hey that's right around the corner from my apartment. That one block stretch of Lincoln has a ton of great restaurants.

edit: That's where I got my DFAM. And I keep meaning to walk over and grab a PO-33 but just... haven't yet.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

portland synth people, s1 is reopening their synth library soon and you’ll be able to check out two synths at a time if you’re a member.

https://s1portland.com/

inferis fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 18, 2021

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

rickiep00h posted:

Oh hey that's right around the corner from my apartment. That one block stretch of Lincoln has a ton of great restaurants.

edit: That's where I got my DFAM. And I keep meaning to walk over and grab a PO-33 but just... haven't yet.

Cool. GOON MEeT 2021. no nevermind forget I said that. They don't have the Summit in stock but I'll call and see if they can get one. I'd at least pick up a Polyend tracker. Could write little melodies on it and record it straight to the OT

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Goon Meet 2022 can be in NYC at Adorama

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ok Comboomer posted:

Goon Meet 2022 can be in NYC at Adorama

So what you guys are too good for the middle of the woods now?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rolo posted:

So what you guys are too good for the middle of the woods now?

I’ll see you all at NAMM in 2023, bitches

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Got my second Diode Chaos kit assembled. The first one still doesn't work even with a new chip, but everything I test seems okay, so it might be the other chip also blew. :shrug:

1 minute of Eurorack noisiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtKjpco1PMM

Rod Hoofhearted fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 19, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

May I please ask a dumb question? I have a couple really nice pedals that have expression and footpedal inputs, and I discovered this Electro-Harmonix pedal called the 8-Step Program last night, got all excited but then began thinking I must be able to do this with my new Beatstep. I'm currently watching a video about how to automate footpedal input using among other things CV and gate output. Now I've purchased a beatstep pro and I'd like somebody to simply tell me a couple basics. Using my beatstep can I simply plug control voltage output into the expression pedal jack? I think that's what I'm seeing in this video. And can I simply plug gate output into footswitch jacks? I want to sequence the pedal input like I'm seeing him do but I'm unsure of just what I can connect here and don't want to wreck anything. Thanks in advance for any help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkGYHaDevMA

ED: reading the comments a little more and looking into it I'm still unclear, but it looks like my Boss pedals are not going to take CV input in their expression pedal ports. The SY 300 does have a built-in step sequencer thingy though, so there's that.

ED2: Yeah, so the pedals I'm thinking of both have MIDI in and that's the way I'm going to have to go with this, I think. I'm sure that will be plenty good compared to what I'm seeing in the vid above.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 21, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if the pedal ports put out current and expect resistance from the potentiometer in the pedal, you can convert them to cv by wiring them up to a vactrol with the pedal port on the photoreciever side and your cv output on the photoemitter side

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
I've fallen in love with wavefolding bass hits and kick drums, and now I need a module for my 'rack that's capable of wavefolding. Any recommendations?

Athru seems like the current frontrunner -- it's the best sounding among the actually obtainable hardware clones in VCV rack (which isn't a huge sample size). I'd love the Vult Debriatus, but the only way to get that in a module is with the Freak, which seems to be entirely unobtainable right now.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The Erica sample drum has a wave fold effect if I’m remembering right

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I plan to build a Befaco Chopping Kinky by the end of the year, that's a wave folder. Not sure it's what you're looking for though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeLoPTApLlw

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Capt'n Big O has folding

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Voice of Labor posted:

if the pedal ports put out current and expect resistance from the potentiometer in the pedal, you can convert them to cv by wiring them up to a vactrol with the pedal port on the photoreciever side and your cv output on the photoemitter side

Thank you for that. This may warrant figuring out. But life comes at you fasts. Look at what I decided to take a chance on, the dirtiest filthiest synth I've ever seen:

You can't really see how incredibly dirty this thing is unless you zoom in. And it reeks of tobacco. But the owner, this old biker looking dude, said it worked last time he plugged it in, a few years ago. I figured it's probably worth the $75.

ED: OMG this thing stores its patches to audio cassette, like my Commodore 64 did!

petit choux fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 21, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Here's the insides after vacuuming out the mouse droppings.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And here it is after scrubbing all the nicotine gunk off of it, at least the first pass.

ED: And I note there's a battery soldered in that probably lost power 20 years ago, if this thing even powers up I'll be really surprised. Anybody interested in a fixer-upper, talk to me. I can box it up and ship it pretty easily. I'm not going to try plugging it in this evening, going to let it air out a little more overnight.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 21, 2021

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
How the heck does a mouse get inside there?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

snorch posted:

Underneath the keys I think.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

snorch posted:

Mice can get into openings the size of a dime. And when there isn’t one, they can usually chew one.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Not exactly the overwhelming excitement I was hoping for here

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’ve cleaned up a few keyboards, replaced keys and resoldered batteries then reselling for a “profit” stuff like that it’s always really satisfying

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

A MIRACLE posted:

I’ve cleaned up a few keyboards, replaced keys and resoldered batteries then reselling for a “profit” stuff like that it’s always really satisfying

True, that. I haven't done it with such old hardware before though. I'd probably rather put it in the hands of somebody who's more tooled up and enthused about vintage synths than I am currently, but who knows. I'll try powering it up tomorrow.

ED: but I can hardly wait. If it actually produces any sound at all I'll be so excited.

ED2: Here's some cool artwork, BTW:

petit choux fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 22, 2021

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Some of the lack of initial enthusiasm might be because the whole mouse poo poo and nicotine angle; I would also be wary if say there were a bird's nest inside of it, or a small alligator who lived there. But from an electronic standpoint I'm sitting here really impressed with just how complicated that thing is and I'd love to know if it does work too!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Oof, big mistake. Those weren't mouse turds, they were tone pellets.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Send that to mutable instruments, it'll be in their next physical modelling firmware.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Lotta capacitors to replace. Good soldering practice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

from the pics it looks -.o.k.- I would be worried about all the corrosion right by the power supply. I'd check the coil and all the components around it. if there's a molex connector or whatever where the power supply plugs into the main board, I would disconnect that from the main board, plug in and switch on the keyboard and check the voltages the power supply is putting out