Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Zugzwang posted:

There are numerous people in this thread/the forums who have debilitating long covid, months to a year+ after getting infected.

The articles you linked all do not factor in delta. This is something most people, including the CDC (albeit for gross incompetence/political reasons in the latter case), are still denialists about. Over the course of wild type -> alpha -> delta, Covid went from “really contagious” to “really really contagious” to “transmissible outdoors through not especially long interactions.” Was the research you’re looking at done in the US pre-June or so? Then it’s dubious now.

I mean geez, how can you post articles saying “schools are safe” when there are innumerable reports already of school districts that have to close after just days of going Open Biden because a gazillion kids/staff are popping fevers and testing positive? Meanwhile the hospitals are filling up, and the people getting sick won’t be able to get beds. Good times!

I couldn’t help myself :buddy:

Yeah so what’s your actual thesis? Cancelling school is no big deal? Is that a thing now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

asdf32 posted:

Yeah so what’s your actual thesis? Cancelling school is no big deal? Is that a thing now?

*air guitar* hell yah it ain't

teach your kid not to pull their rear end out in public and you've successfully done kindergaten

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

asdf32 posted:

What the absolute gently caress is with you people and screaming "KIDS GOTTA GO SCHOOL KIDS GOTTA GO DO EXTRA CURRICULARS. THEIR LIIIVVESSSS" while WE'RE LITERALLY WORRIED ABOUT THEM LOSING THEIR LIVES if they do these things. Their ACTUAL lives, not social poo poo that they primarily do online anyway these days.

Kids can get educated at home for a very large majority. Kids can socialize carefully in friend groups that keep track of covid status and do proper things to remain safe.

Like I keep running into people like your rear end and I don't loving get it. Kids are DYING. Who gives a flying gently caress about their history grade when they're laying in an ICU bed with a tube down their throat? Y'all are like "oh but long-term-" until it comes to the kids' health then you're like "NAW GOTTA OPEN THIS poo poo UP RIGHT NOW" like there's no other option.

"Oh but they might have to repeat a grade" yeah but at least they're alive to do it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

White Lotus finale giving me the urge to knock up a Vince McMahon meme for Armond and there’s still 10 minutes left for me, and he still lives. But OMG that suitcase scene. Im pretty sure I know what comes next…

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Any parent is going to have to struggle with this, it's really not super easy to pull a kid of any age out of school or daycare and take on education and childcare on your own.

It certainly worries us, but it's really not an option for most people to work their jobs, even if they are remote, and also watch their children. Especially for some indefinite amount of time and with no clear idea of when the situation is going to improve.

No one wants their child in the ICU or suffering long term, life altering consequences, but it's really not just "Johnny will just stay home with us until this thing blows over", that's not a reasonable solution for most people, even if it is the least risky.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

If only Donnie Trump were still in charge, he would be encouraging all his supporters to get vaccinated, exactly like he’s (not) doing right now

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/medicalaxioms/status/1426726495511216131

:patriot:

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

What the absolute gently caress is with you people and screaming "KIDS GOTTA GO SCHOOL KIDS GOTTA GO DO EXTRA CURRICULARS. THEIR LIIIVVESSSS" while WE'RE LITERALLY WORRIED ABOUT THEM LOSING THEIR LIVES if they do these things. Their ACTUAL lives, not social poo poo that they primarily do online anyway these days.

Kids can get educated at home for a very large majority. Kids can socialize carefully in friend groups that keep track of covid status and do proper things to remain safe.

Like I keep running into people like your rear end and I don't loving get it. Kids are DYING. Who gives a flying gently caress about their history grade when they're laying in an ICU bed with a tube down their throat? Y'all are like "oh but long-term-" until it comes to the kids' health then you're like "NAW GOTTA OPEN THIS poo poo UP RIGHT NOW" like there's no other option.

"Oh but they might have to repeat a grade" yeah but at least they're alive to do it.

It's all the parents that see school as free daycare. They want the kids out of the house so they can go to work or bone down or whatever.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

As I already mentioned I watched my 3 week old on oxygen for a week in the ICU with RSV. “Risk exists” isn’t an argument for closing the nations schools. Or never was. Do you want to make that argument now?

Seriously dude not every kid has a good family and Internet. And there is a literal mountain of research on the benefits of school and education (hint: it’s not math). It even used to be a pillar of left leaning policy to champion it.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

asdf32 posted:

As I already mentioned I watched my 3 week old on oxygen for a week in the ICU with RSV. “Risk exists” isn’t an argument for closing the nations schools. Or never was. Do you want to make that argument now?

Seriously dude not every kid has a good family and Internet. And there is a literal mountain of research on the benefits of school and education (hint: it’s not math). It even used to be a pillar of left leaning policy to champion it.

If I was as bad at math as you I'd be extremely worried about how my kid would turn out if I homeschooled them too

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
You’re right there’s nothing we could have done over the last 18 months. throw the kids back into the covid mines

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Look, I was totally unschooled until 18 and aside from major depressive disorder and severe social anxiety I turned out fine!

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

asdf32 posted:

Since we're in the nakedly selfish phase of the thread again, let's be clear. You can gamble with your kid's life all you want, at least until someone responsible stops you, but sane people don't want you or your kid gambling with their lives. And that's what the petri dishes we call public education will accomplish: gambling with a bunch of other people's lives.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Well that'll be an interesting case study.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

asdf32 posted:

Don't you also oppose masks in schools

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

asdf32 posted:

Yeah, Zoom teaching doesn't exactly work for elementary schoolers either. It was one thing when the covid lockdowns were supposed to be temporary but now with no end in sight remote leaning is not acceptable.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Pekinduck posted:

Yeah, Zoom teaching doesn't exactly work for elementary schoolers either. It was one thing when the covid lockdowns were supposed to be temporary but now with no end in sight remote leaning is not acceptable.

If there were plans besides "pinky swear the kids wear masks and everyone gets tested once a week" I'd be more enthusiastic about addressing the education problem. Ideally the pod system would be used with small numbers of children in a classroom (a ratio like ten children per educator), with downright invasive contact tracing in the event of a COVID infection being caught in weekly screenings.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s narcissistic that much of America views their way as the only way to raise children. Other cultures (and America’s own history) are ignored at best. At worst, they are seen abusive, and the kids need to be rescued and assimilated into white culture.

I know we haven’t had a pandemic this bad in over a hundred years, but kids being left behind in schooling isn’t among their major legacies.

Remote schooling is frustrating, but the alternative is far worse.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Platystemon posted:

It’s narcissistic that much of America views their way as the only way to raise children. Other cultures (and America’s own history) are ignored at best. At worst, they are seen abusive, and the kids need to be rescued and assimilated into white culture.

wat

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

John_A_Tallon posted:

If there were plans besides "pinky swear the kids wear masks and everyone gets tested once a week" I'd be more enthusiastic about addressing the education problem. Ideally the pod system would be used with small numbers of children in a classroom (a ratio like ten children per educator), with downright invasive contact tracing in the event of a COVID infection being caught in weekly screenings.

I might be ok if cohort sizes were small, cohorts didn't mix during maskless lunch in a cafeteria, there were in classroom air filtration that the school could actually answer questions about, and there were a strong quarantine policy, test and trace policy, and surveillance testing.

Basically, if they were doing all of the things. But they're not and they won't.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Dren posted:

I might be ok if cohort sizes were small, cohorts didn't mix during maskless lunch in a cafeteria, there were in classroom air filtration that the school could actually answer questions about, and there were a strong quarantine policy, test and trace policy, and surveillance testing.

Basically, if they were doing all of the things. But they're not and they won't.

Yes, I agree with this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I was thinking of “kill the Indian, save the man”, but as bad as opening schools in an uncontrolled respiratory pandemic is, it does not morally compare to that atrocity, so I didn’t want to name it directly.

It turns out that other people raise their kids differently, and in most cases that’s perfectly O.K..

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
From what I hear over here they're going forward very carefully with masks, contact tracing, tests, and contingency plans to shut down if things go bad.

Course Florida et al are just doing whatever but what can you do.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Pekinduck posted:

I think we should just keep saying it's not acceptable instead of putting resources into making it acceptable. You know what's worse then maybe having a less then ideal education? Dying. Dying is worse. I'm not sure why people seem to struggle with this concept so much.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I was thinking of “kill the Indian, save the man”, but as bad as opening schools in an uncontrolled respiratory pandemic is, it does not morally compare to that atrocity, so I didn’t want to name it directly.

You're comparing Canada's residential schools to modern public education?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

but it's really not an option for most people to work their jobs, even if they are remote, and also watch their children.

this is literally the only reasonable excuse to have your kid in school when there are literally millions of cases active.

asdf32 posted:

"I watched my child on oxygen and I fully support other parents having to go through that, too"

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Pekinduck posted:

youre just askin questions

their point is obvious, even if the metaphor is mangled

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dren posted:

Yeah the CDC went "It's okay for schools to reopen for in person classes as long as they do [long list of stuff] but they should go virtual/hybrid if their county reaches a certain level of transmission risk (which was the huge majority of counties across the entire nation at the time)" but everyone just heard "It's okay for schools to reopen" and went hogwild

In their latest recommendations they're not even recommending virtual schooling any more. The do recommend masking "for use indoors among people aged 2 and older who are not fully vaccinated" over and over and over but of course many states have banned mask mandates in schools so :shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pekinduck posted:

No, and the paragraph you cut from the quote makes that clear.

Why do you assume Canada? It’s not a uniquely Canadian problem.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Platystemon posted:

No, and the paragraph you cut from the quote makes that clear.

Why do you assume Canada? It’s not a uniquely Canadian problem.

No particular reason, Canada is notorious, particularly bad and ongoing with no accountability but its happened elsewhere.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

First of May posted:

Look, I was totally unschooled until 18 and aside from major depressive disorder and severe social anxiety I turned out fine!

:( :respek: :(

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

I think we should just keep saying it's not acceptable instead of putting resources into making it acceptable. You know what's worse then maybe having a less then ideal education? Dying. Dying is worse. I'm not sure why people seem to struggle with this concept so much.

Dude there is no such thing as zoom kindergarten and don’t believed any tech bro with a disruptive app saying otherwise.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

nexous posted:

covid mines
I grew up in a former coal area where basically every man in my grandparents’ generation worked in the mines. Whenever someone died in an accident, the coal company would just dump the body (if it could be recovered) at the family’s home and go “welp sorry what can ya do?” And most of the men who managed not to die in accidents would die of black lung instead.

So yeah, mines are not a bad analogy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
To this day, if you drive around coal country, you’ll find signs like this one.

Some people afflicted with black lung get a modicum of relief by sleeping on the porch.

The sign asks travellers to let them sleep in peace.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

asdf32 posted:

Dude there is no such thing as zoom kindergarten and don’t believed any tech bro with a disruptive app saying otherwise.

Hmmm well I think being socially stunted is fixable while being dead is not. Wait hold on do you have a mother box?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Duck and Cover posted:

Hmmm well I think being socially stunted is fixable while being dead is not. Wait hold on do you have a mother box?

I certainly have access to your mother's box

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I certainly have access to your mother's box

I don't get it, please explain it to me.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

What would sleeping on your porch do for you that sleeping inside wouldn't?

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AHH F/UGH posted:

What would sleeping on your porch do for you that sleeping inside wouldn't?

Listen paw paw sleeps outside ; that’s just how it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Duck and Cover posted:

Hmmm well I think being socially stunted is fixable

i think all of our posting histories indicate otherwise