Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wait, the sign on that bridge says 15' though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

surely the trailer deck is more than 1'5" off the ground

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

And that's probably how it happened.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Raluek posted:

surely the trailer deck is more than 1'5" off the ground

A: I wouldn't be so sure, that thing looks like it's riding super-low, see how the deck is right near the axle of those tiny trailer wheels
B: The OP said it's 13' 7" on the pad, I assumed by pad he meant the trailer. Unless I'm missing some pad that was between the helicopter and the trailer?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
A helicopter pad. The place on the ground where helicopters park. A helicopter parking space. Sometimes you can find pads on top of buildings, too! Or on ships!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Some guy last night got really pissed that I was overtaking trucks at "only" 130kph, and not diving between them and getting on the brakes hard to let him by. He was flashing his high beams like crazy, followed by tailgating so closely that I couldn't see his headlights. At night, in the pouring rain.

When a gap in the right lane came, I moved over, but he got in behind me and didn't overtake, then he followed me exactly on every lane lane change and overtake for 20 minutes or so, apparently his desire to speed was not that big. At least he moved back to a reasonable following distance.

I was pretty sure he was following me at that point, so I just let the ACC do its thing and drop to ~90kph or so when there was a slow car in front of me. The other guy overtook me, perhaps out of habit, but he did match my speed as he came up beside me, so I slowed down further, hoping he'd just move on.

He did pull ahead, but after a couple of minutes, the car between us pulled off, and then the tailgater guy apparently decided he wanted to get behind me again, so he slowed down to 80kph. I still had the ACC on, so I put it to the longest following distance and stayed behind him. There's no way I would get in front of him and let him follow again.

As an experiment, I tried indicating towards an exit. He immediately did the same, so I tried faking pulling off, he started pulling off in front of me, but I didn't time it right, so I didn't get him stuck on the offramp. He flashed his hazards, I guess to indicate that he was definitely intent on going wherever I was going.

This 80kph adventure continued for like 20-25 minutes. Honestly, I could go slow all day, but the prospect of an aggressive confrontation at the end is not something I enjoy.

Finally he apparently figured out it was pointless, at least he took the other way at a fork, and I made sure to stay a bit back, in case he juked back and tried to follow me again, but he didn't.

What the gently caress is wrong with some people?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 16, 2021

TerraCat
Jul 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A: I wouldn't be so sure, that thing looks like it's riding super-low, see how the deck is right near the axle of those tiny trailer wheels
B: The OP said it's 13' 7" on the pad, I assumed by pad he meant the trailer. Unless I'm missing some pad that was between the helicopter and the trailer?

From the bottom of the skids to the top of the helicopter is 13 ft 7 in. You have to add the height of the trailer onto that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Arguing without facts! It's the goon way. The placement of the wreck before the bridge and a lack of damage to the bridge seemed suspect to me.

Here with news you can use from Channel 6.

https://www.newson6.com/story/5e36382d2f69d76f62055ca1/huey-helicopter-knocked-off-trailer-on-way-to-tulsa-veterans-day-parade

TULSA 6 posted:

Huey Helicopter Knocked Off Trailer On Way To Tulsa Veterans Day Parade

Monday, November 11th 2013, 10:27 am

By: Dee Duren

A fully-restored military helicopter was heavily damaged in transport Monday morning on the IDL in Tulsa. The Huey helicopter was knocked off a trailer after hitting a sign on southbound Highway 75.
The Vietnam-era helicopter was on its way from the Tulsa Air and Space Museum to the Tulsa Veterans Day parade.
"As we were coming into downtown, one of the wires that had the blades secured on the helicopter came loose," said Undersheriff Tim Albin, Tulsa County Sheriff's Department.

"As I was talking to the driver telling him to stop, the air caught the blade and flipped it up, into one of the traffic signs. When it caught that blade, it just peeled it right off the trailer."

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

PenisMonkey posted:

A helicopter pad. The place on the ground where helicopters park. A helicopter parking space. Sometimes you can find pads on top of buildings, too! Or on ships!

In my defense my brain melted yesterday from having 3x as much work as usual during my shift.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Wasabi the J posted:

Shameful route planning.
There is a dumpsterfire of terrible route planning in Winnipeg right now.
Last week:
https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/residents-upset-after-moving-company-cuts-roblin-boulevard-trees-down-1.5539331

followed by this a couple days ago
https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/province-launches-investigation-into-the-house-move-in-winnipeg-1.5546779

quote:

Five days later the moving company ran into more trouble. The province said on Aug. 11, the same house being moved by the same company hit the overhead sign on the Wilkes Overpass at the South Perimeter Highway.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Holy poo poo it's a turducken of fucklings.

Turducklefuckling.

TerraCat
Jul 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

StormDrain posted:

Arguing without facts! It's the goon way. The placement of the wreck before the bridge and a lack of damage to the bridge seemed suspect to me.

Here with news you can use from Channel 6.

https://www.newson6.com/story/5e36382d2f69d76f62055ca1/huey-helicopter-knocked-off-trailer-on-way-to-tulsa-veterans-day-parade

I am shocked to find that Facebook lied to me.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I hope that employee/company enjoy their multi million dollar settlement for cutting down so many mature trees

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

slidebite posted:

There is a dumpsterfire of terrible route planning in Winnipeg right now.
Last week:
https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/residents-upset-after-moving-company-cuts-roblin-boulevard-trees-down-1.5539331

What the gently caress? That’s a level of “gently caress you” I don’t think I’ve seen for a while.

They need to be punished way more than someone who gets caught with an ounce of weed in Indiana.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Sigma posted:

I hope that employee/company enjoy their multi million dollar settlement for cutting down so many mature trees

TREE LAW TREE LAW TREE LAW

That is super hosed up. Maybe they could have moved the house by just doing a slightly lesser crime of shaving off one whole side of branches, but the whole move was wrong because they failed to get the big picture. The adage of "Measure twice, cut once" doesn't work when you don't measure and holy poo poo in this situation don't cut.

Wasabi the J posted:

Shameful route planning.
I know you were talking about the Huey but it still is relevant for the treefuckling.

It sort of reminds me of when the Space Shuttle Endeavor was moved to the California Science Center. From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Endeavour#Decommissioning

quote:

Endeavour's route on the city streets between LAX and Exposition Park was meticulously measured and each move was carefully choreographed.[32] In multiple locations, there were only inches of clearance for the Shuttle's wide wings between telephone poles, apartment buildings and other structures. Many street light standards and traffic signals were temporarily removed as the Shuttle passed through. It was necessary to remove over 400 street trees as well, some of which were fairly old, creating a small controversy.[33] However, the removed trees were replaced two-for-one by the Science Center, using part of the $200 million funding for the move.[32]

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 17, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's been an eventful morning. I could bitch about how I got stung by a wasp on my morning walk with the dogs, but that's not what this thread is about.

Nah, instead what I'd like to bitch about is the dumbass lady who floored it in reverse out of her driveway, nearly pancaking my dogs. Her excuse? She has a bush in the way and couldn't see us coming.

Wouldn't that be a reason to be more careful? We barely had time to yank our dogs back out of the way and go "Whoa, hey!"

Decided to kill her with kindness instead of chewing her out and just be like "Hey, it doesn't matter. Just be more careful and drive safe, and have a good day."

At least we know to be extra careful around that house now.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Got to watch an older CR-V's right rear taillight cluster fall right off a few days ago in front of me. It was hanging on by the cable and flapping in the wind but I was completely prepared to dodge some debris until they put on their hazards and started moving to the shoulder.

Gonna guess it wasn't the first time that's happened to them.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

carry on then posted:

Got to watch an older CR-V's right rear taillight cluster fall right off a few days ago in front of me. It was hanging on by the cable and flapping in the wind but I was completely prepared to dodge some debris until they put on their hazards and started moving to the shoulder.

Gonna guess it wasn't the first time that's happened to them.

Username/post.

I've never owned a Honda/Acura without at least one light that likes to pop out.

Meanwhile, this happened to me and the new fixture has been holding up just fine after putting a washer on either bolt. The outside, held in by posts in rubber grommets, is too far gone to fix:

That is the fifth taillight housing I've put on the truck in three years. Two to replace the cracked originals, two because people kept bumping into my poo poo at work, and one more from the accident. Curiously, the bulbs and circuit boards have stayed the same.

Oil changes: $250/year
Wipers: $50/year
Taillights: $100/year

Someone who is good at budgeting, help me. My truck is starving.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
oops new page.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Seeing as I'm on a 3 day drive home, it's time to roll out the same poo poo I complain every time I do!

Accelerating on the onramp and acceleration lane to match speed with traffic? Nah, I'll just blindly swerve onto the highway, people'll make room, right?

Torrential rain to the point where you can't see the road markings? Pfft, I don't need to turn on my lights!

Some dipshit wreck when they hit someone else doing one or both of the above? Better rubberneck and almost ram a semi because there's no way traffic might slow down because of said wreck...

And I haven't even hit I-95 in Florida yet, that's more stress than the rest of the trip combined.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I saw this article about a crash that happened on a nearby highway, and it piqued my interest.

Details gathered through various articles:

-Mercedes sedan traveling at 171 km/h in right lane strikes Honda CRV(?) from behind

-Mercedes and Honda end up in ditch

-Honda driver killed. Ejected through sunroof(!) despite wearing seatbelt (!!)

-Driver impaired, sentenced to 5.5 years

You can see the aftermath of the vehicles here. Honestly, they don’t look that bad. (Sorry on mobile, no idea how Twitter embeds work).
https://twitter.com/OPP_HSD/status/1055861652409729028?s=20

So… how does someone get ejected through the sunroof when they’re wearing their seatbelt? It doesn’t appear to be a rollover since the cars both look relatively intact. I am suddenly very interested in engineering analyses of crashes.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

a primate posted:

So… how does someone get ejected through the sunroof when they’re wearing their seatbelt? It doesn’t appear to be a rollover since the cars both look relatively intact. I am suddenly very interested in engineering analyses of crashes.

The speed limit on that road is what, 100km/h? So a 71km/h delta-V impact. Most car seats are not able to withstand that kind of hit from the rear and the recliner mechanism will break leaving your back unsupported. The car body accelerates forward from the impact, but without the seat back able to transfer that force to the driver, they don't and yeet backwards from the car's frame of reference. The seat belt can't do poo poo about that since it's designed to stop you from going forward, relatively. The driver flies backwards until they impact the next solid object, which I guess was the sunroof in this case. Either it was already open, already broken from impact forces, or the driver's body had enough relative acceleration to break it and out she went.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Is it also possible they were just sitting on the latched seat belt? I have seen people do that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If the Honda driver was going less than 100 it would make it even worse.

What an awful thing. This story talks a little bit more about the MB driver. NOT to excuse her in the slightest, but what a poo poo show.

https://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/9587881--all-i-see-is-darkness-impaired-driver-in-jenny-dixon-fatality-sentenced-to-5-1-2-years/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PeterCat posted:

Remember people consult your -10 before you put your beloved Huey on a trailer. Sitting on the pad it is 13 feet 7 inches to top of the mast.

Why not just raise the helicopter

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

SlapActionJackson posted:

The speed limit on that road is what, 100km/h? So a 71km/h delta-V impact. Most car seats are not able to withstand that kind of hit from the rear and the recliner mechanism will break leaving your back unsupported. The car body accelerates forward from the impact, but without the seat back able to transfer that force to the driver, they don't and yeet backwards from the car's frame of reference. The seat belt can't do poo poo about that since it's designed to stop you from going forward, relatively. The driver flies backwards until they impact the next solid object, which I guess was the sunroof in this case. Either it was already open, already broken from impact forces, or the driver's body had enough relative acceleration to break it and out she went.

drat… I had no idea seats fail like that. I guess I’ve been taking the integrity of the interior components for granted

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I remember when the seat back of my first car broke off on one side. If I recall correctly, I put a milk crate behind it and kept driving.

Cars are generally built to minimum cost, not to be incredibly resilient.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Especially when it comes to rear impacts which I don't think anyone tests for.

Similar to how poorly most cars performed in the small offset test when it first came in, no one was designing for it because there was no incentive.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

dissss posted:

Especially when it comes to rear impacts which I don't think anyone tests for.

Similar to how poorly most cars performed in the small offset test when it first came in, no one was designing for it because there was no incentive.

Most rear impacts have a delta speed of 20 mph or less, so that's how the seats are designed. IIHS has been testing front seat design during rear impact for almost a couple of decades.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/about-our-tests#head-restraints-and-seats-test

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

mobby_6kl posted:

Why not just raise the helicopter

I don't know if the helicopter actually ran. Could be that it was out of service for parts or not actually a runner or they were just trying to save money by trucking it from place to place though that would be really hard on the airframe.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PeterCat posted:

I don't know if the helicopter actually ran. Could be that it was out of service for parts or not actually a runner or they were just trying to save money by trucking it from place to place though that would be really hard on the airframe.

There is almost no scenario where it is cheaper to fly that helo (or almost any helo) somewhere than to put it on the back of a truck and drive it there.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Motronic posted:

There is almost no scenario where it is cheaper to fly that helo (or almost any helo) somewhere than to put it on the back of a truck and drive it there.

Except driving the helicopter around beats the poo poo out of it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PeterCat posted:

Well yeah, I didn't mean "driving it around and running it into a bridge" obviously.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PeterCat posted:

Honestly so does flying it.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Rotor's still attached. No mast bumping while strapped to a lowboy.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!
Use the truck, but when you get to a bridge fire up the chopper and fly over it while the truck goes under. Best of both worlds.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Or they could have just taken the loving rotor assembly off of it and re assembled it when it got to it's destination, would have been relatively cheap insurance to prevent exactly what happened.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Taking the rotor head off requires a crane which is a whole added layer of expense. I'm guessing that the bird was not flyable for one reason or another and that's why they were trucking it around. Trailering a helicopter is much harder on it than flying it because the helicopter is designed to take the stress of flying, but not of being driving on the road.

Think about how much engineering goes into car suspension to deal with the shock of driving down the road. Helicopter skids are designed with that in mind, they are designed to support the weight of the aircraft during landings, which are controlled by the pilot. Land too hard and you spread the skids.

As far as it being cheaper to haul it vs flying it, not really. I mean it depends on how far you're moving it, but you're already paying the maintenance costs of the helicopter by owning it. Flying it from place to place just incurs the cost of gas.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PeterCat posted:

you're already paying the maintenance costs of the helicopter by owning it. Flying it from place to place just incurs the cost of gas.

This is the part where you started completely talking out of your rear end.

Major maintenances are by hours more than calendar days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

PeterCat posted:

Think about how much engineering goes into car suspension to deal with the shock of driving down the road. Helicopter skids are designed with that in mind, they are designed to support the weight of the aircraft during landings, which are controlled by the pilot.

I hate to break it to you but most trailers have suspensions.

A properly secured aircraft is fine being trailered. It’s done all the time. I, personally, have seen trailers specifically set up for hauling operable helicopters.