Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I really enjoy the game but lately it’s just a dice roll of if my team splits correctly. Or if jungle knows what they’re doing, usually they seem to do one clear and then dick around in team fights and fall behind in level. People rarely seem to understand how important drednaw is on my team. I’m bouncing between great and expert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
A weighted coin flip accurately describes any MOBA experience where you’re solo queuing, not surprised this is any different.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

For what it's worth, I have a 68% win rate as a mostly solo Ninetales one-trick, now a couple of games away from Veteran, doing the exact same thing every game :

1) Say "I'm going top!" in battle prep, then go top lane, grabbing all the neutrals on the way (and letting others get the killing blows if I think they're more important than me).

2) Test the waters to see how aggressive my lane opponents are, but play very, very safe because early kills and scores don't mean much.

3) Keep farming the neutrals (leave lane to grab the weak ones at the top of central) and don't worry about scoring unless it's wide open. This means capping on points and leaving a lot on the ground. Try to be on top of the bees at 7:50 I think it is, and clear them as quick as possible (it's good having the control option which lets you use B to auto-target neutrals instead of enemies so you don't waste hits if both teams are trying to get them).

4) When Dreadnaw is about to spawn, back to base and then head bot lane and when I get close I ping "I need backup!" It doesn't matter if you leave top wide open - getting Dreadnaw is more important than letting the enemy team score top. Save your ult for Dreadnaw only, no exceptions.

5) Go back to top lane until the next Dreadnaw and just keep farming neutrals. If my team is biffing pointlessly in lane I'll do the Ninetales thing where I snipe from the sidelines and help them win, then just go back to farming. If our top goal is gone and the enemy is being super aggressive I'll abandon it and go bot and keep farming neutrals.

6) Try to have your ult ready for Zapdos. The 2-minute mark is where the game actually begins and scoring becomes important. I usually back and then scout Zapdos to see if the enemy is there, and then decide what to do based on whether my team heads over as well. If we get Zapdos then go score, and if they get it then try to block/defend/prevent goals as much as possible and/or backdoor to score against them or help your team do the same.

The Zapdos part is where it can get chaotic but I find it goes my way most of the time and I like to think it's because of my highly disciplined neutral farming giving my team an advantage! Also never underestimate the Zapdos snipe - some Pokemon are really good at it and a lot of people don't save their burst moves for when it's low HP.

When HotS was alive the few times I tried ranked I was a solid Gold/Plat player so I expect I'll be approaching my Pokemon Unite ceiling pretty soon, but to be honest most of the master level advice for advancing through the lower ranks seems to be more along the lines of 'learn the neutral camp timers and just farm' rather than 'be good at actually fighting.'

edit : Outside neutral farming, I think the most impactful thing you can do as a solo player is to use Buddy Barrier. You can really see onscreen how BB's effect wins you a fight, and if you ult at the correct times (Dreadnaw and Zapdos, or any time in between as long as you'll have it back for them) then BB is going to let you more often win the fights which actually matter, and thus the game as a whole.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 12, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The game quality gets much better once you get into Veteran rank, at least in terms of consistency. People mostly calling lanes, no double jungles, people realizing you have to fight over Dreadnaw, that sort of stuff. Every once in a while you'll get a poo poo one but, you know, thats video games. You gotta play carry to get there though, just outright. In Dota, you can get solokills as a support player, but that's not going to happen here because all the support heroes are defensive and will lose trades to carries. If you're looking to climb through Great rank, you gotta do like Cinderace or Ninetails. Snorlax maybe, but even Slowbro is too defensive. Edelgoss no way. Follow the advice above, I'm in Ultra rank and I do basically the exact same thing Kalko does, with the exception that as Cinderace I'm always looking to do a quick score and then escape with blink/dash for Attack Weight procs

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Ok, so I've recently discovered Telekinesis on Slowbro, and now I'm requesting goon support, since I clearly don't care about actually winning the game:

How do we make a team with the most stuns and other annoying abilities? Clearly we need a Slowbro, but I don't know much about the other defenders so basically what's the most CC we can pack into a team? Probably Mime / Snorlax / Eldegoss / at least one attacking pokemon, maybe?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

inkmoth posted:

Ok, so I've recently discovered Telekinesis on Slowbro, and now I'm requesting goon support, since I clearly don't care about actually winning the game:

How do we make a team with the most stuns and other annoying abilities? Clearly we need a Slowbro, but I don't know much about the other defenders so basically what's the most CC we can pack into a team? Probably Mime / Snorlax / Eldegoss / at least one attacking pokemon, maybe?

All of the defenders have a lot of CC, though Crustle's is only on their ult unless you count making a wall. Could go with Ninetails for an attacker since they get passive stuns and can also have knockback and another wall? Lucario has a knockup every 3rd auto, Machamp has Submission, and Pikachu can stun with Thunder and slow with Electro Ball? I think Gardevoir can have some cc too, but I'm not as familiar with them

Wall Team would be:
Snorlax with Block
Crustle with Rock Tomb
Alolan Ninetails with Blizzard
Mr. Mime with Barrier

Uhhhh dunno who for a 5th, I think that's all the walls?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The game quality gets much better once you get into Veteran rank, at least in terms of consistency. People mostly calling lanes, no double jungles, people realizing you have to fight over Dreadnaw, that sort of stuff. Every once in a while you'll get a poo poo one but, you know, thats video games. You gotta play carry to get there though, just outright. In Dota, you can get solokills as a support player, but that's not going to happen here because all the support heroes are defensive and will lose trades to carries. If you're looking to climb through Great rank, you gotta do like Cinderace or Ninetails. Snorlax maybe, but even Slowbro is too defensive. Edelgoss no way. Follow the advice above, I'm in Ultra rank and I do basically the exact same thing Kalko does, with the exception that as Cinderace I'm always looking to do a quick score and then escape with blink/dash for Attack Weight procs

I've dropped too many games trying to solo carry to boost. All my games are just three guys going jungle and running around like morons in Great rank. I had to go back to Eldegloss to get some W's. Once I get to Veteran again I'll start with Gengar and Cinderace again and explore.

With Eldgegloss I can back up some lunatic that just runs around killing and keep him alive while he does whatever. That seems to work pretty well.

I had a game we lost with a fantastic carry, he was the pigeon bird thing and he jungled until he was really strong and just killed everything. The problem was that two of our guys were just running down lanes and dying over and over. We actually got zapdos, and the two of us scored two 100p goals, but our three team mates were just dying over and over at T2 goals and never dunked post zapdos. I sent him a friend request but he turned me down. :(

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

If you're Great rank, you're still in the kiddie pool and you kind of need to adjust your play accordingly. It's hard to always keep this in mind, but the enemy team is probably doing the exact same poo poo your team is doing. Always remember that the first eight minutes of the game barely matter and are just Zapdos prep, and so your goal is just to stem the bleeding until then. I would almost entirely ignore your team and pretend they don't exist. Go top, never stop hitting creeps. Try and defend the goal when you can, get some kills if you're able, but don't spend a ton of time trying to do rotations to help your team, and don't die for your team. You just want to hit 13 for Zapdos so you can contest it.

For reference, I played almost exclusively pre-patch Venusaur through Great rank, and really relied on Sludge Bomb to make it so the enemy team could never score. For Expert I did mostly Machamp, and then Veteran was all Cinderace.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Playing against Lucario is awful. I hate it.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah Lucario seems very good, but he's juuuuust short of blatantly OP so he didn't get hit with the nerf bat like obviously broken characters Cinderace or Gengar

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

If you're Great rank, you're still in the kiddie pool and you kind of need to adjust your play accordingly. It's hard to always keep this in mind, but the enemy team is probably doing the exact same poo poo your team is doing. Always remember that the first eight minutes of the game barely matter and are just Zapdos prep, and so your goal is just to stem the bleeding until then. I would almost entirely ignore your team and pretend they don't exist. Go top, never stop hitting creeps. Try and defend the goal when you can, get some kills if you're able, but don't spend a ton of time trying to do rotations to help your team, and don't die for your team. You just want to hit 13 for Zapdos so you can contest it.

For reference, I played almost exclusively pre-patch Venusaur through Great rank, and really relied on Sludge Bomb to make it so the enemy team could never score. For Expert I did mostly Machamp, and then Veteran was all Cinderace.

Yeah, that makes sense. I'll give it a try. I did this for a bit today for a handful of games, but my team kept just giving away Dredclaw objectives. I'll probably get back to Veteran with Eldegloss and then play Veteran as Cinderace.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Well I'm a little late to the game but finally got it. Played my first match as Snorlax, got two kills and the MVP. Pinning people in a corner with wall is too much fun.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I just picked this up and its lots of fun. I'm playing with my GF who has never played a moba before and we both suck kind of equally tbh but we are consistently losing a lot more games queuing together. I can only assume the game generally prefers to queue duos with other groups who are presumably trying a lot harder than we are but I'm hoping once I unlock ranked that might even out a little bit? She's mostly picking her character based on how cute they are which is entirely respectable in this pokemon game imo but it means I mostly pick defenders since Vulpix/Ninetales is an attacker and have very little experience in any other role.

I'm still unclear what the way to earn the f2p currency for unlocking pokemon is, I would like to play snorlax but I blew all my tutorial points on a machamp and now I feel silly because a fat bastard is in every game clowning on my dopey little slowbro

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Kalko posted:

For what it's worth, I have a 68% win rate as a mostly solo Ninetales one-trick, now a couple of games away from Veteran, doing the exact same thing every game :

1) Say "I'm going top!" in battle prep, then go top lane, grabbing all the neutrals on the way (and letting others get the killing blows if I think they're more important than me).

2) Test the waters to see how aggressive my lane opponents are, but play very, very safe because early kills and scores don't mean much.

3) Keep farming the neutrals (leave lane to grab the weak ones at the top of central) and don't worry about scoring unless it's wide open. This means capping on points and leaving a lot on the ground. Try to be on top of the bees at 7:50 I think it is, and clear them as quick as possible (it's good having the control option which lets you use B to auto-target neutrals instead of enemies so you don't waste hits if both teams are trying to get them).

4) When Dreadnaw is about to spawn, back to base and then head bot lane and when I get close I ping "I need backup!" It doesn't matter if you leave top wide open - getting Dreadnaw is more important than letting the enemy team score top. Save your ult for Dreadnaw only, no exceptions.

5) Go back to top lane until the next Dreadnaw and just keep farming neutrals. If my team is biffing pointlessly in lane I'll do the Ninetales thing where I snipe from the sidelines and help them win, then just go back to farming. If our top goal is gone and the enemy is being super aggressive I'll abandon it and go bot and keep farming neutrals.

6) Try to have your ult ready for Zapdos. The 2-minute mark is where the game actually begins and scoring becomes important. I usually back and then scout Zapdos to see if the enemy is there, and then decide what to do based on whether my team heads over as well. If we get Zapdos then go score, and if they get it then try to block/defend/prevent goals as much as possible and/or backdoor to score against them or help your team do the same.

The Zapdos part is where it can get chaotic but I find it goes my way most of the time and I like to think it's because of my highly disciplined neutral farming giving my team an advantage! Also never underestimate the Zapdos snipe - some Pokemon are really good at it and a lot of people don't save their burst moves for when it's low HP.

When HotS was alive the few times I tried ranked I was a solid Gold/Plat player so I expect I'll be approaching my Pokemon Unite ceiling pretty soon, but to be honest most of the master level advice for advancing through the lower ranks seems to be more along the lines of 'learn the neutral camp timers and just farm' rather than 'be good at actually fighting.'

edit : Outside neutral farming, I think the most impactful thing you can do as a solo player is to use Buddy Barrier. You can really see onscreen how BB's effect wins you a fight, and if you ult at the correct times (Dreadnaw and Zapdos, or any time in between as long as you'll have it back for them) then BB is going to let you more often win the fights which actually matter, and thus the game as a whole.

I followed this and am expert now, ranked up quite a bit, only lost two matches tonight and they were both close. I think the key is always going top so you can force a collapse on drednaw, otherwise if I go mid or bottom, top never rotates. I am going either ninetails or snorlax

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm still unclear what the way to earn the f2p currency for unlocking pokemon is, I would like to play snorlax but I blew all my tutorial points on a machamp and now I feel silly because a fat bastard is in every game clowning on my dopey little slowbro

There's no trick to earning the Pokemon currency, you just get x amount of coins per game and then big amounts from leveling up your account. You can also get some coins from the gacha as a prize. You've got limited gacha pulls per week, and a weekly cap of 2k coins for playing the game, so it's kind of a grind once you completely exhaust the account leveling (one Pokemon per month, essentially). I've got like 24k total coins from playing so far

That being said, I think Snorlax is objectively the correct choice for your one free Pokemon at the beginning of the game. Pikachu would be a close second but you get Cinderace for free who does basically the same stuff. I also bought Machamp with my coins though, do not feel bad about buying him he's top-tier

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

It gets very, very slow after the first couple weeks. The onboarding stuff is fairly generous, though -- you'll get 3 free pokemon from logging in the first two weeks, and there's a week-long Beginner Challenge that gets you some free held items, currencies, and Crustle on Day 7. After that, though, you just get 20-50g per game (up to a weekly max of 2k) and daily quests that award you 200g and 100 tickets, and then battle pass dailies that should get you a single battle pass level (which has varying rewards). Trainer Level-up rewards are also usually generous, but once you get out of the teens it'll be several days between levels even if you're playing every day. And then there's the gacha, which gives you a free pull every 5-6 games but again limits you to 14 pulls per week, and only rewards cosmetics and low values of currency.

I recommend buying the items you don't get through the Beginner Challenge with gold rather than tickets -- it might seem like you have a lot of tickets, but they're actually harder to get, since there's no real way to grind tickets, and the upgrade costs on items scale way out of control so that you'll be scrounging to get your items to 20 long after you've got a decent stable of Pokemon to play.

They really leaned hard into the F2P psychological game imo -- I really dislike how hard they worked to obscure how difficult it is to acquire currency once the onboarding stuff is gone. You have a lot of stuff to do and you're showered with cool freebies for the first week or two, and you may or may not realize it's all from one-time, nonrepeatable events and missions. And then by the time you're "hooked", you realize you're only getting 500g a day and maybe 20-30 tickets depending on how lucky you are with the gacha and battle pass rewards, and it'll be weeks of grinding before you can buy another Pokemon or finish upgrading the item you're using.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Just had a game with an Eldegoss that insisted on jungling. My lane mate was just diving over and over again. I couldn't manage to score a single point, Eldegoss got one dunk and was MVP. Also our cinderace was idling at one of our goals the entire game.

This is the greatest MOBA of all time because it's over in ten minutes

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Just had a game with an Eldegoss that insisted on jungling. My lane mate was just diving over and over again. I couldn't manage to score a single point, Eldegoss got one dunk and was MVP. Also our cinderace was idling at one of our goals the entire game.

This is the greatest MOBA of all time because it's over in ten minutes

seriously, I have a pretty good routine where I work for an hour, when I finish a task, I "relax" with a blissful ten minute game and then I go back to work.

I just lost a game by ONE point, we were "really far ahead" and then our team all died trying to run their base over and over for the last five minutes. I was furiously pinging at Zapdos but no we lost by one point.

A second came I followed the tutorial and we easily one, because we had a real jungler that rotated perfectly. Good times

edit: actually last night we had a Jungle Mr Mime and he WRECKED. It was nuts. I'm not sure what about Mr Mine mad that work, but it was almost like he was cheating.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Jerk McJerkface posted:

edit: actually last night we had a Jungle Mr Mime and he WRECKED. It was nuts. I'm not sure what about Mr Mine mad that work, but it was almost like he was cheating.

So I originally was going to respond that Mr Mime does more damage if he pushes stuff into a wall, and then I looked it up and apparently that's not the case! So apparently this weird clown is just really good for some reason.

Edit: I'm wrong, it's Confusion that does that. If Mr Mime's jungling fast then yeah I can see him coming out early at Level 6 and murdering people with a wall/confusion.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 13, 2021

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Two more game with four people going bottom, and quickly getting the t1 goal and then throwing themselves at the t2 goal while getting killed over and over.

I even went down to Dredclaw and pinged him but instead they just flung themselves into the meat grinder. I'm pretty sure that I'm a bot on a bot team.

The second game we even stole Zapdos and instead of scoring on the T2's they four manned into the center goal and all died.

:negative:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I won a game where the enemy team got Zapdos because as Machamp I was able to stop two enemies from getting to my goal because of the ungodly amount of CC and damage my ult did. Felt super loving good

Also yeah I've been really tempted to buy Mr. Mime. Confusion absolutely does more damage for hitting an enemy into a wall, but it's ANY wall, not just a Light Screen wall. So, if you slam someone into one of the little walls in the jungle, thats bonus damage and stun. The guy I know who plays him runs Guard Swap and Confusion and never dies and shits out damage. Definitely into the idea of playing a character with a little more mechanical stuff going on just because every game is getting samey, I like the idea of basically playing a minigame where I have to wallbang every enemy

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Great rank matchmaking feels like every game is a coin flip. all comes down to who has a player who doesnt know what they're doing yet, or who hasn't leveled up their items and loses every trade. you get a 2 level deficit against an enemy carry and the game feels over.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah like I'm trying to follow the one trick Ninetales strat but so often my bottom lane just completely caves and I can't bring them back out.

Usually it's a Zeroara that just balls out of control and kills absolutely everyone. That poke feels bonkers overpowered at the moment.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It can feel a bit too rocket tag at times. I wonder if ratcheting down all damage to say 3/4ths would make things a little better. I suspect it’s a consequence of the truncated and forcible timer. Battles have to be quick.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

A Zeraora that knows how to jungle is pretty dangerous but it's been a while since I've seen one single-handedly take out half my team. Usually what happens is I'll get a game where my team shows absolutely no interest in Drednaw and they're just kinda all over the map doing... something. Those games are hard to win but it's still possible depending on how they react to Zapdos.

I'm at Veteran 3 now and in most games people seem to understand neutral spawn timers (I'm still the only one cleaning up the map though) and they also let the important Pokemon get last hits for XP while laning, but then I'll inexplicably get a game like the above where they just don't care about Drednaw and sometimes even Zapdos. Is there a point where this stops happening or is this game like [every other game with ranked play] and the only place it stops is in organized professional games?

By the way, letting your non-tank lane buddy get last hits on everything is the most surefire way I've found to receive friend requests after a game. People really notice that!

edit : One thing I have seen is that when an enemy team tries to deathball a lane and you get one of those OP Pokemon cleaning house and we lose both Drednaws, it's not uncommon to be back at XP parity when Zapdos comes around. And it's not just because of my farming, I think it's because of the comeback mechanic where if you knock higher level Pokemon you actually get a lot of XP (you get almost nothing for equal or lower level enemies) and if the enemy team is deathballing they will eventually lose a fight and surrender a tonne of XP, plus while they were fighting they weren't farming.

One other thing I see at the moment which I expect will disappear if I keep advancing is that enemies will often score at like 2:30 or less time. I'll be farming right beside my goal and see two enemies come in with like 40 points between them and I'm like, sure, feel free! I ain't stopping you! The converse of this is that when both sides are hovering around Zapdos at the 2:00 mark sometimes you'll see an enemy with 50 points sneak up to one of your goals and you won't have anyone in range to stop them - that's a genuine feelsbad.

I think ideally you probably want to have someone in each lane at that point to stop backdoor scoring, and then if there's no action there they can quickly collapse on the center. But I'm still mostly solo queuing so I just kinda have to go with the flow!

Kalko fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 16, 2021

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Finally hit veteran. I've been maining Ninetails in top lane. My priorities are neutral mobs and drednaw. If I'm feeling feisty, I'll last hit steal from the other team, and run some goals in, but I won't waste more than a few seconds at a time on it. I'll take over clearing mid when our center inevitably abandons it after the first two minutes of the match.

If i can't get Ninetails, I'll do Snorlax top, if I can't do top, I'll do Gengar center.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah Snorlax or Gardevoir are my backups. Last night I had a game where someone beat me to all three so I was like uh, Charizard? Figured we would lose because I had no idea what I was doing (and only one item equipped it turned out) but it was one of those lucky games where the enemy team kind of did nothing.

I took two Charizard moves that had CC attached to them. He actually seemed pretty ok? Maybe I should look into how to play him in case this happens again.

Is there a way to set a Pokemon as your first pick before you get to the selection screen? I always have to scroll to reach Ninetales and setting it as my favourite doesn't seem to change the order there.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

crawmorant is my favorite. whirlpool does so much damage and you can cc and snipe people

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Been using greninja a lot as attacker speedster hybrid, its kinda hilarious how he gets both a way to finish people off and easily disengage with surf while water shuriken just kinda exists? In general i feel like a lot of the expert grade mons are the best simply for having more they can do.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
tbh since I unlocked crustle I have only played crustle

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I don't think slaughtering people who overextend with Gardevoir's Psyshock will ever get old.

Yes, please, continue to chase me through my explosions you fools.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
One Cramorant trick, you can eject button during your Ult in case an enemy is about to get out of range.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm lucky because nobody ever fights me for Talonflame, even though I usually wait 20 seconds for people to choose whatever, even in ranked.

It's rare I see T-Bird on the other team, either.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Mega64 posted:

I'm lucky because nobody ever fights me for Talonflame, even though I usually wait 20 seconds for people to choose whatever, even in ranked.

It's rare I see T-Bird on the other team, either.

Like the problem Tflame has is that you could pick Zeroara and seemingly just be better in every possible way.

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

except being a cool bird

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Kalko posted:

Yeah Snorlax or Gardevoir are my backups. Last night I had a game where someone beat me to all three so I was like uh, Charizard? Figured we would lose because I had no idea what I was doing (and only one item equipped it turned out) but it was one of those lucky games where the enemy team kind of did nothing.

I took two Charizard moves that had CC attached to them. He actually seemed pretty ok? Maybe I should look into how to play him in case this happens again.

Is there a way to set a Pokemon as your first pick before you get to the selection screen? I always have to scroll to reach Ninetales and setting it as my favourite doesn't seem to change the order there.

Charizard got a few buffs, but interestingly given the welcome bonus expiring, the early OP pokemon (elgegoss, cinderace) are still common even though they got nerfed.

Also you can hit "x' on the select screen to bring up a grid and it's faster to select them.

The rubberbanding in this game is so extreme that the only time you can really score is early game on T1 goals, and then late game post zapdos. It's also critical to defend your two goals most times, and it's barely worth the risk get kills when you are on level parity.

Really the creeps are way more important (even if you are full on points, do it for levels) but it's hard to get pubbies to realize that yes, you have 40 points, and three enemies are dead, but they'll respawn in five sec and jump on the t2 goal and you'll die, so you'll never get the points in, so don't bother, instead defend your T1 from their 40 point guy. If you prevent a 40pt goal, it's exactly the same mathematically as scoring 40p.

There's almost no way in the game to turn an early game advantage into running up the score midgame, so for midgame, just farm and defend, and then late game defend, but don't aggressively push on Zapdos since if you are ahead you're respawn timer will be stupid, and any kills you give away will balance the exp quickly.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just played/lost a Great 4 game.
We had what I thought was a decent line, a pubbie took cinderace, called top, so I went gengar jungle, and then the rest of the team picked correctly (two top, two bot, one jungle), then when the game started, two went went top lane, but the cinderace followed me into the jungle, stole three of the creeps, then went top. So three top, me jungle w/ no creeps, one eldegoss bottom.

Top lane tricked one at time to score on the t1 and all died. then at 7 minutes they all went top, all died, and the other team soloed Dredclaw since I was only lvl4 and could stop them.

It was all down hill from there. Comically enough I sniped Zapdos (1 vs 5 since gengar's ult gives invis and I snuck it, but then our team instead of rushing the goals to score all immediately went to zapdos spot since all 5 enemies where there, and they all died in a massive 4v5 fight (since I immediately was killed after sniping zapdos) lol.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Blissy is being released on Wednesday

Looks like it has a heal and attack speed up move along with a single target cc ult?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Looks kind of like there might be a status cleanse involved too?

Geez I'd have at least added some text with the move names in that promo trailer. At least something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

note, the lack of numbers and hard stats is infuriating in this game. Charging real money for items with obscured effects is :psyduck:

The reality is that all they do is make it so the community has to test it all and work out the math. So they just delay the inevitable, give us the stats, why hide?