Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

atomicgeek posted:

There are two cosmetic bundles I recommend, one with tons of hairstyles and one with cosmetics and accessories. Sometimes it's nice to change up your look a bit and they're just a toggle, instead of spending cash/crowns on an appearance change token.

Oh poo poo. The hair is just a toggle? I need to get those then. I just assumed you had to have an appearance change token.

As far as crowns go I spend them on cosmetics mainly. But I also have the banker and merchant and I got a few houses. I’m not a whale but I am a yearly subscriber so I don’t care much about the cost as long I I have some crowns. If you are considering them the Crow versions are the best.

Oh and I keep a reserve in case decent crown crates show up.

Also also the Ancestor outfit that’s available now doesn’t come up too often from what I can tell. It’s the same one that the smiling Dunmer banker in Vivec City wears. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Doctor Zero posted:

Oh poo poo. The hair is just a toggle? I need to get those then. I just assumed you had to have an appearance change token.
Yeah the hair pack, adornment pack and the marking packs are all toggles. You can swap every minute if you want. They're the best value cosmetics by far.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Good calls on those, atomicgeek. They're all big bundles of easy, fun, various minor cosmetic thingies. Good purchases!

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

xZAOx posted:

For ESO+ members - what do people like to use crowns for? Watched a youtube vid that had some suggestions like:

- Banker
- Merchant
- Boar mount / Packrat pet for +5 inventory slots each
- Warden / Necro if into that
- Transmute station
- Well
- Training Dummy
- Any race / any faction (I'm a one-toon person, so meh)

I'm already max mount speed / etc. About got all my research done too.

Anything else people might recommend? Besides the normal cosmetics, pets, mounts, personalities, houses. Banker / merchant sound

I already have some huge goddamn mansion in Summerset that I got from some community promo 3 years back. It's very very empty and lonely.

I've spent quite a few crowns and the banker and merchant are my most used crown store items.
You can even place them in a house ams use them from there.
For more pure utility: After these two you can get the inventory size pets and storage chests.

The classes are both cool, so if you want to play them it's a good way to spend crowns.

Everything else is really just vanity.

The transmute station is available in almost every player guild hall, same applies to dummies.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
What are people's favorite, say one or two, DLCs/ chapters for questing? Excluding blackwood I guess, I haven't bought it but I have ESO+.

I've looked up the "chronological order" guide, but I might want to break it up at some point. I'm still going through some of my "main" zones (even though I've already done coldharbour, killed Molag, and have Caldwells silver, heh).

I've also done mages and thieves already, and work on undaunted, fighters, and some times dark brotherhood if I'm in the mood.

So yeah, what's your top non-launch zone?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

xZAOx posted:

What are people's favorite, say one or two, DLCs/ chapters for questing? Excluding blackwood I guess, I haven't bought it but I have ESO+.

I've looked up the "chronological order" guide, but I might want to break it up at some point. I'm still going through some of my "main" zones (even though I've already done coldharbour, killed Molag, and have Caldwells silver, heh).

I've also done mages and thieves already, and work on undaunted, fighters, and some times dark brotherhood if I'm in the mood.

I'm pretty new to this, not having played for years, but I've been having a good time doing the Psijic main quest line out of Summerset, and you get the Psijic Order skill line which appears to be a whole separate pain in the rear end to level, but at least it's there!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I like the Elseweyrs (north and south) a lot, khajiit are cool. Wrothgar's main quest is fairly fun, its more political rather than world ending macguffin so its a nice change of pace from most other questlines. Murkmire has a lot of cool poo poo, but the zone can be kind of annoying depending on how much you like swamps.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

xZAOx posted:

Definitely Morrowind and Summerset

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

xZAOx posted:

Elsweyr and Morrowind. One thing I really dig about this game is the writers' respect for the downright weirdness of the setting (even in basic vanilla zones btw, Greenwood/Grahtshade get bizarre). Elsweyr leans wholeheartedly into the earthy humor of a culture of cat people and it's delightful. Morrowind is chock full of snotty wizards, ancestor worship, and Vivec being an insufferable nerd god.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Error 404 posted:

I like the Elseweyrs (north and south) a lot, khajiit are cool. Wrothgar's main quest is fairly fun, its more political rather than world ending macguffin so its a nice change of pace from most other questlines. Murkmire has a lot of cool poo poo, but the zone can be kind of annoying depending on how much you like swamps.

I love Wrothgar. The story is so engrossing and you’re not the One To Save Them All.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Synthwave Crusader posted:

Anyone who needs an invite to the PC NA guild can quote this with their userID and I'll send out invites when I get on.

@sadleric

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006

Powered by alcohol

Is crafted gear better than set gear ever? How many points do you have to invest? It seems you need both enchanting and a crafting skill to maybe accomplish that.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So, is weapon swapping a regular thing in fights or totally situational?

Starting to fill out the nightblade skill trees, and it seems like it could be possible to do a lot of damage if I started stacking buffs/debuffs, but that would require either skipping utility/healing skills or swapping weapons mid-rotation.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm pretty new to this, not having played for years, but I've been having a good time doing the Psijic main quest line out of Summerset, and you get the Psijic Order skill line which appears to be a whole separate pain in the rear end to level, but at least it's there!

You live up to your username sir because I found the Psijic questline tedious needle hunting.

But I'd say my favorite DLCs are probably Clockwork City, Morrowind, Orsinium, Dragonhold. Murkmire in there, too.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

longtimelurker posted:

Is crafted gear better than set gear ever? How many points do you have to invest? It seems you need both enchanting and a crafting skill to maybe accomplish that.

I'm still a newbie - but my understanding is "both". You get your set gear (buy or farm), then likely put your own preferred enchant and trait on it. Trait changing takes 50 transmute crystals (and I'd assume research done for that trait and type of item?), and you get 10 a day from your first random dungeon.

There's also sets you can craft fully, those are from the special crafting stations you'll find out in the world. Some of those are popular (esp while leveling to 50) and used even in endgame.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Again, newbie disclaimer, so 100% ready for someone to correct me. But basically everyone weapon swaps constantly. I've seen some builds that point out "one bar" builds, but I get the feeling those aren't for endgame, but probably good enough for questing, maybe even normal dungeons (not that you'll get kicked out or anything anyways, you'd have to work to get noticed as bad, although some of the DLC dungeons it's more noticeable).

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Starting to fill out the nightblade skill trees, and it seems like it could be possible to do a lot of damage if I started stacking buffs/debuffs, but that would require either skipping utility/healing skills or swapping weapons mid-rotation.

You can mostly try to put all of your longer buffs or dots on your back bar and your active skills on your front bar, so that you’re not swapping all the time, just for buff upkeep or a heal or whatever.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

longtimelurker posted:

Sometimes. A lot. Not necessarily, but probably.

There are a handful of crafted sets that are always in demand, either because they're unique and work for certain builds, because they're better than the non crafted alternative for certain builds, or because while there is something non-crafted that is better it's very hard to get. While overland gear is bind on equip, meaning it's freely sellable until you equip, dungeon/trial gear is bind on pickup with a small tradable window only with those who were with you in the dungeon/trial, which means you can only get by doing a specific thing and getting lucky. Crafted gear can fill that gap which depending on how you play could be forever.

Skill points:
For Wood/Metal/Cloth, these are the skill points:
Crafting level: 10(first is free so 9)
You need all the points here to craft max level gear.
Keen Eye: Pretty useless in general, only helps spotting nodes anyway, so not needed to craft.
Hireling: 3 not necessary to craft, but you probably want this because the free mats add up
Extraction: 3 You'll want this, but you only need one character to do it. This will be on the character that refines your mats, it doesn't have to be your crafter.
Research: 4 Once you've researched you don't need this, but until you do (which takes 6-12 months) you'll want it or research will take much much longer.
Upgrade expertise: 3 Not strictly necessary but there's no point being a crafter without it, the cost of upgrade mats without it is so much higher.

So technically you only need 9 points in each to craft max level gear, but realistically you Need 12 (+expertise), Should have 15(+hireling) and for a while will need 19(+research). If you don't have a separate character to refine mats you'll want 22(+extraction)

Jewelry only needs 7 skill points, but it is so drat expensive to craft that there are very few situations where it's worthwhile. You need to be deep into the game and have lots of gold before the minimal upgrading to purple or gold is worth hundreds of thousands of gold.

Enchanting: You only need this to craft, not apply, so you could just buy enchants and apply, there's quite a markup on enchants, but big picture they're not too expensive even with the markup. You'll need 12 points to craft max level enchants, plus 3 if you want the hireling (it's nice to have but not as valuable as the other hirelings).

So minimum you need 9*3+12=39, minimum you'll want is 12*3+12=48, while you're researching you'll need 16*3+12=60, with hirelings you'll need an extra 3*4, so 72 total (60 after you're done researching).

Note you'll also want to max alchemy, provisioning for other reasons and Jewelry maxing is not a priority but worthwhile. You should research jewelry just to be able to transmute traits even if you don't bother crafting it.

It's absolutely doable, my main is a crafter who does everything except extraction, and I have all all the active skills class, weapon and guild (mostly unmorphed, but the ones I use are morphed), a bunch of relevant passives for me, and still have leftover skillpoints and I have earned less than half the total available skill points in the game.

It will take quite a bit of questing/skyshard hunting/dungeoning to get there and there may be times where you're choosing between crafting and combat abilities.

Edit: All of that said, if you're in a guild there's probably someone willing to craft for free or a small fee if you give them the mats. If you're on PC-NA I'd be willing to do it. It's still worthwhile to max crafting for making money from daily writs and gathering/refining mats, even if you rarely actually craft gear.

Regular in big/long fights, not for the random overland enemies. The primary point of swapping is to equip the extra skills, so yeah if the fights go long enough it's normal to swap to get the extra buffs/healing/different situational damage skills/etc. Swapping is a bit clunky so you'll want to swap regularly but not constantly. Bunch of skills, swap, bunch of skills, swap back etc. How long you spend on each bar will depend on your build/style.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 16, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Sky Shadowing posted:

You live up to your username sir because I found the Psijic questline tedious needle hunting.

But I'd say my favorite DLCs are probably Clockwork City, Morrowind, Orsinium, Dragonhold. Murkmire in there, too.

Well, to be clear, I'm talking about the Summerset main quest which is stopping the three Daedra from taking over the Crystal Tower and has had some fun dungeons with going into people's minds and stuff. It sounds to me like you're thinking of the quests to advance the Psijic skill line itself, which like I said seems like a real pain in the rear end and I've only done the first one of those. Sadly, my build kind of wants that ultimate so I'll be doing all that nonsense at some point.

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006