Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I'd say Mob Psycho 100 is "philosophical".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

cromartie high school

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
all the berserk recommendations are legit, it is a great work of nihilist philosophy

how to live and value life when it absolutely does not matter even slightly is the whole story

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's it my fault? Did I do this?
Yes Shinji. Kwaru told you not to take the spears out and now your did and there's a fourth impact. Grats. Stay out of the loving robot.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

the rebuilds should just been entirely a slice of life series about the characters living in a commune

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

It's it my fault? Did I do this?
Yes Shinji. Kwaru told you not to take the spears out and now your did and there's a fourth impact. Grats. Stay out of the loving robot.

they'd of found a way to do it anyway eventually, like they now use tech to fake lilith. Thats the one thing i'm confused about. It seems like humanity was reaching a point techwise where they were rivaling 'the gods' but Gendo was all like 'we have no choice but to do this elaborate ritual or we'll be exterminated'. Exterminated by who? You've murdered all the angels as part of the elaborate ritual. You have giant space battleships that rival the gods in power. Who even were 'the gods' at that point? It can't be the adams because they just formed a sentai team and got eaten.

edit: lol i forgot for a second this is all just to see his dead wife, did anything he say matter other than that point?

She was probably middle class

Regarde Aduck has issued a correction as of 04:43 on Aug 16, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Rahxephon isn't quite Evangelion level, but is pretty good imho. It's alright.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Regarde Aduck posted:

She was probably middle class

She was extremely fuckable. Gorgeous. A gorgeous bourgeois woman. Waifish. Like a *welkin* basically.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Evangelion: what good pussy does to a muhfucka

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gendo, if you want to keep chasing after dead pussy grab a shovel.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
gendo ikari: what if wife guy, but too far?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Gendo was gay for his wife

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

MonsieurChoc posted:

Rahxephon isn't quite Evangelion level, but is pretty good imho. It's alright.

As a cultural touchstone, Evangelion absolutely beats RahXephon. But as shows, I absolutely enjoyed RahXephon waaaaaay more. Everything from the personalities and roles of the characters to the emotional climaxes to even the final romantic twist made it a far more enjoyable show. I felt like I had to really push myself through Evangelion since it was such a miserable slog, but RahXephon was fun and I genuinely wanted to know what happened next. It’s not as good of a show critically, but I still liked it more

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Continuing on that thought, Eureka Seven is also really good.

But not the sequels and spin-offs. Just the original show.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://www.supremenewyork.com/previews/fallwinter2021/accessories/supreme-mg-1-100-rx-78-2-gundam-ver-3-0

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh hey I've got a headless white lady here, I'm just gonna put her with the others. You sure have a lot of them Mr Ikari.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
“I sleep in an Evangelion! Do you?”

“I sleep in a big Geofront with my wife.”

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don’t think a “the apocalypse is capitalism” reading of evangelion really holds up well tbqh. The story is entirely about the emotional lives of the characters and everything else is just a vehicle for that.

on a side note the English script for 3.0+1.0 is dogshit lmao. sounds like the lines were all machine-translated and given to the dub actors in alphabetical order with no context and then they used the first take of every reading.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

End of Rebuild of Evangelion 1.1: You Are [Not] My Dad

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Augus posted:

on a side note the English script for 3.0+1.0 is dogshit lmao. sounds like the lines were all machine-translated and given to the dub actors in alphabetical order with no context and then they used the first take of every reading.

what the gently caress are you talking about, girl with glasses and big boobs?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Dr. Killjoy posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about, girl with glasses and big boobs?

Shinji doesn't have big boobs??

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
not with that attitude, he doesn't

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
He could have, if my reading of instrumentality is correct.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Good soup! posted:

Full disclosure, as I've gotten older I think I prefer the Buu saga to the Cell one
gohan's arrogant jobbing and anything with goten/trunks is unforgivable

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Good soup! posted:

Full disclosure, as I've gotten older I think I prefer the Buu saga to the Cell one

You need to seek help

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

nah bitch :cool:

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
New Eva is interesting for being a 25 year aged take on the shows core concepts, but now with Dad Feelings interwoven.

The actions is just absolute dogshit though. I've never really been into eva for the robot stuff but the original show handled it so much better. This poo poo is so boring. The huge technical landscapes and character drama are good but christ everything past the original show in terms of fun robot stuff is brain meltingly dull. It's the matrix neo vs agent smith spin kicking scene but replastered over everything forever.

Macross is 40 goddamned years old now, you would think at least hitting that level of quality might be in the cards but no.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

we started watching the OG series of eva again after 4.0 and holy poo poo the OG series is *so* much better than rebuild

i much prefer the plot of the OG show to whatever ended up being the plot of rebuild, the factions at play and character motivations are much more clear, and theres a lot more time for nice little moments, lots of great shots and character work

plus its also way more cynical and i miss the old radical cynicism of 90s and 80s anime, where you got the sense the authors had some experience or opinions on the real world

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Haruhi is cooler than Eva

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

shows what you guys know, Anno is clearly setting the trend for all robot fights in the future being bullet hells

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Dr. Killjoy posted:

shows what you guys know, Anno is clearly setting the trend for all robot fights in the future being bullet hells

Japan needs to get some better video games, they're trapped in time

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Robot fights should be slow messy slogs. More people pulling off their arms to bash opposing robots. More opening your cockpit because your cameras are broken.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Robot fights should be slow messy slogs. More people pulling off their arms to bash opposing robots. More opening your cockpit because your cameras are broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUdy-R22ZM4

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

plus its also way more cynical and i miss the old radical cynicism of 90s and 80s anime, where you got the sense the authors had some experience or opinions on the real world

This is kind of an odd take given how open Anno is about how his experience of the real world since EVA shaped the Rebuild series.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AY27gLWhtM
Is probably still one of my favorite fights, even if, uh, it doesn't end well.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

HootTheOwl posted:

Which is why Big-O is the best robot amine

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HootTheOwl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AY27gLWhtM
Is probably still one of my favorite fights, even if, uh, it doesn't end well.

never post this interpolated trash :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

HootTheOwl posted:

That's Xabungle. Except the robots don't have cameras, they have windshields.