Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Llamadeus posted:

I don't think it was mentioned so another TKL option would be the Idobao ID87 V2, comes in white if that's a high priority for you. Though it's an integrated plate design. And might have issues going by the one youtube review of it...

I'm sure that's a decent enough option, but it's just hilarious to me that the video featured on their own product page is a negative review. Based on all the text, I have to wonder if no one there understands english enough to realize...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q1

booo no barebones option in the first batch, only the bundle

oh well the ISO version is launching later anyway

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

repiv posted:

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q1

booo no barebones option in the first batch, only the bundle

oh well the ISO version is launching later anyway

Looks like barebones and ISO options were added for anyone holding out on those configurations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nice

Reviews will go live on or before the 24th apparently, the day pre-orders begin

Hopefully it's an improvement over the GMMK Pro

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Very mad that my GMMK Pro USB gave out, so hoping the Q1 is better but at this stage I might just hold out and wait for an affordable 96%.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

ijyt posted:

Very mad that my GMMK Pro USB gave out, so hoping the Q1 is better but at this stage I might just hold out and wait for an affordable 96%.

You probably know that keychain has one (the K4). But in case you didn't, now you do, and I can tell you that it's a nice board.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

got this code tkl w/MX clear from a friend and fellow goon; immediately put these (cheap) retro caps on it

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Constellation I posted:

Sorry, I meant more the profile (i.e. height and shape of the keycaps itself). You wouldn't want to mix and match different profiles since the shapes can be so different and just feel weird. Also, almost everything uses Cherry MX stems these days.

See the profile pic from the OP:

PCB mount switches typically have legs that accompany the switch so it's more stable when mounted directly on the PCB. Plate mount switches don't have these two additional legs. Looking at the pics of the GMMK TKL, it doesn't look like it has the peg holes to accommodate those legs. You can always snip PCB mount legs off with flush wire cutters if needed, effectively making them plate mount switches.

Thanks for this. Looks like Cannonkeys uses all Cherry profiles and the GMMK uses OEM. If anyone has suggestions for hot swapable keyboards that come with Cherry keycaps and switches already, I'm all ears. Preferably cherry clear switches, but given hot swap I don't mind browns or similar tactiles.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Llamadeus posted:

I don't think it was mentioned so another TKL option would be the Idobao ID87 V2, comes in white if that's a high priority for you. Though it's an integrated plate design. And might have issues going by the one youtube review of it...

What was the issue, that the PCB shorted easily due to a missing component? I think that got solved in later batches but still, I'd be wary.
I don't regret at my ID87 v1, that said.

Here depicted along my Montex numpad. Pardon the glare.

qnqnx fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 12, 2021

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks for this. Looks like Cannonkeys uses all Cherry profiles and the GMMK uses OEM. If anyone has suggestions for hot swapable keyboards that come with Cherry keycaps and switches already, I'm all ears. Preferably cherry clear switches, but given hot swap I don't mind browns or similar tactiles.

https://www.mechmap.tech/keyboard-picker-tkl

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

qnqnx posted:

What was the issue, that the PCB shorted easily due to a missing component? I think that got solved in later batches but still, I'd be wary.
I don't regret at my ID87 v1, that said.
In the video the cutouts happened to be too small for his stabilizers, but this might well have been a problem with the stabs (they weren't a common brand).

It seems like Idobao generally know what they're doing so they're not so risky a choice.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
A couple weeks of using a Das and a Code, and I can't stand the feel of my Corsairs anymore, cherryMX or not. The caps are trash, all feels like plastic :laugh:

They are nice and responsive for gaming, we'll see if swapping the caps to something nicer helps or if I am in for another $2-300 for another board.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/HhsIHsl.gifv

Here's a set of Ascend caps on a Corsair MK2 RGB, with a stock setup behind it. Yes, I put a couple things in the wrong place, I was solo dadding two kids at the time.

Additionally -- the stock one in back is a refurb that has not been used at all besides this picture, and I have it for sale in SA-Mart for $90 obo, and I am mentioning that with mod permission!!

Thanks

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
My Keychron K7 went through today, and I should get it in September. I am a little worried about the low profile switches, but also excited as it is such a small form factor.

This is my first Keychron board as well, as they seem pretty good from what I read. Kinda wish I waited for the Q1.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Finally finished building my Think 6.5 v2 with Holy Bobas:

https://clips.twitch.tv/DeafKitschyAyeayeBuddhaBar-hQygwRnPqzQVrqrN

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

KBDFans' Odin has entered Groupbuy, if you're in the market for a 100% keyboard with a slightly compressed layout https://kbdfans.com/products/ic-kbdfans-d1000-mechaincal-keyboard

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

My Keychron K7 went through today, and I should get it in September. I am a little worried about the low profile switches, but also excited as it is such a small form factor.

This is my first Keychron board as well, as they seem pretty good from what I read. Kinda wish I waited for the Q1.

I also did the same. Almost went with the Epomaker NT68 but then I remembered their Bluetooth connection issues are annoying. I plan on getting the banana switches - and a case. Planning on using it for when I’m out and about from the office.

In other news I tried Super Lube spray for my pinging springs on my Durgod Fusion aaaaand I over lubed some switches. Problem is that the key presses don’t get registered unless I hammer the key. Tried canned air but looks like I’d have to remove the switches and clean them out. I don’t have a soldering kit but I think if I ever go that route I might just get new switches for it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got an Epomaker GK108s for review.

I did a build which is a bit crazy but in case anyone uses full size like myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AW-3Q5gYt0

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Ringo Star Get posted:

I also did the same. Almost went with the Epomaker NT68 but then I remembered their Bluetooth connection issues are annoying. I plan on getting the banana switches - and a case. Planning on using it for when I’m out and about from the office.

In other news I tried Super Lube spray for my pinging springs on my Durgod Fusion aaaaand I over lubed some switches. Problem is that the key presses don’t get registered unless I hammer the key. Tried canned air but looks like I’d have to remove the switches and clean them out. I don’t have a soldering kit but I think if I ever go that route I might just get new switches for it.

That's pretty much what I'll be using the K7 for. I travel into work once a week and wanted something to take with me. I went with the mint optical switches as they are the heaviest.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

redeyes posted:

I got an Epomaker GK108s for review.

I did a build which is a bit crazy but in case anyone uses full size like myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AW-3Q5gYt0

Nice build, and +1 on the "wish there were more full size options"

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

My first full custom build, although I helped my fiancée with hers a few months ago.

Tofu60
DZ60RGB V2 Hotswap
Poly Carbonate Plate
KBDFans Plate Foam
Durock POM Linears- Tribosys 3203 - Springs in Krytox GPL105 - Durock Films
Durock V2 Screw-In Stabs - holee modded + dielectric, Tribosys 3203
Zip-Fit Case Foam (black)
O-Ring Standoff modded w. 70a Nitrile O-rings on all 6 standoffs.
Current keycaps are just a set of PBT Cherry Profiles I have laying around. Eventually will be replaced with GMK Hanami Dango.

It's...

Pretty nice.

Used to be hard tactile gang, but I've been rocking a Durgod Taurus at work with Cherry Blacks. Between the stock blacks and this though, difference in linear feel is night and day. Incredibly smooth and consistent typing experience, typing tests feel like my fingers are just gliding. Good spring weight, but when gaming I'm resting my fingers a bit heavy handed on some keys and getting accidental presses sometimes. Already adjusting/adapting, but that is one thing I miss about tactile. Sound isn't quite as deep or resonant as I would like, but its a Tofu so that's unsurprising. I ran it before and after the O-Ring mod and really don't notice much of a difference, but am using harder nitrile o-rings where people usually utilize softer silicone. Case foam, similarly, I don't think is doing much, but whatever. I dove deep enough into the project to want to leave no mod unmodded.

I'm super pleased with the holee modded stabs. When I helped my finacee with her board (also a Tofu build) we just dielectric'd the Durock stabs. The space and enter sound good, but her backspace and L shift have a little bit of rattle when you really mash them. That's been completely eliminated this time around. The mod was time consuming, but the results were great and required no adjustment at all.

I ordered a brass plate and am going to try swapping it in. I wanted the tock that PC provides, but honestly the entire build feels and sounds a bit more muted than ideal and I'm hoping that will give it just a bit more 'ping'. I also prefer a harder backstop, and the PC was a bit mushy even before the o-ring mod.

I was originally trying to get a Bakaneko60 for this build, but got impatient with waiting for a restock and decided to just go with the Tofu. Classics are classics for a reason.

Next build is going to be a Aozora + KAT Great Wave, both already GB'd. Probably go tactile for that one, but undecided on switch. I have some Glorious Pandas that were originally going to be for this build before I decided to go linear, but my fiancée went with Boba U4T's and my god those are a nice switch. Feels like settling to go with the Pandas after typing on them.

Anyways here's a sound test. I don't have any fancy microphones, so enjoy the cellphone video.

https://i.imgur.com/qomiU1F.mp4

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Gwaihir posted:

Nice build, and +1 on the "wish there were more full size options"

drat right. It's very sad honestly

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is changing the keycaps on my Leopold FC660M (Cherry Browns) a good idea? I found a local keycap store that has designs I like but I'm not sure if it's as simple as opening my keycaps and replacing them, and if there are sizing/dimension issues to consider.

Basically now that I've used this keyboard for about 3 years, keycaps with a giant clean font is looking mighty interesting.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Swapping key caps is trivially easy. It'll take you maybe 10 minutes at most. Any random caps you see made are 99% likely formed to fit Cherry MX style key stems, so compatibility isn't really an issue.

The only issues you might run in to are if you get PBT caps, occasionally the space bar might come out slightly warped, enough that it will stick when depressed on the board. That's also an easy fix though, if it happens.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Artelier posted:

Is changing the keycaps on my Leopold FC660M (Cherry Browns) a good idea? I found a local keycap store that has designs I like but I'm not sure if it's as simple as opening my keycaps and replacing them, and if there are sizing/dimension issues to consider.

Basically now that I've used this keyboard for about 3 years, keycaps with a giant clean font is looking mighty interesting.
The right shift on that FC660M looks non-standard enough to give issues in keycap hunting

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks guys! Glad to hear it's easy enough.

Llamadeus posted:

The right shift on that FC660M looks non-standard enough to give issues in keycap hunting

How would I search for keycaps with this non-standard right shift? I tried looking for FC660M keycaps in my local stores but get nothing specific, just generic keycaps. Do I have to look for custom keycap makers or certain specific brands? Or am I just boned and can change everything else but that?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Artelier posted:

How would I search for keycaps with this non-standard right shift? I tried looking for FC660M keycaps in my local stores but get nothing specific, just generic keycaps. Do I have to look for custom keycap makers or certain specific brands? Or am I just boned and can change everything else but that?
It looks like a 2.25u keycap, same as the left shift. The problem is cheaper "standard" sets usually don't come with two 2.25u shifts, you just have to be on the lookout for it (quick check shows GMK group buys often have an extra). Or settle for a slightly shorter cap, leaving some gaps.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Apparently the FC660M uses a weird non-standard spacebar (it's standard 6.25u wide but the mounting points aren't in the standard position) so you're probably SOL unless you can find a keycap set specifically designed for that keyboard.

It looks like Tai-hao used to make FC660M add-on kits with the weird spacebar but I can't see them for sale anymore

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

overclockers pushed back the ship date of my GMMK pro
rip

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If it's delayed past the 24th at least that means you can find out whether the Q1 is the better buy, while it's still easy to cancel your order

llibja
Sep 13, 2007

Just wanted to piggy back on the recent ID87 chat and say I have had zero issues with my V2 and Durock stabs. My first real build and I couldn't have asked for a smoother experience:

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Okay, I've put in some cursory effort googling around, but my effort thusfar has essentially revealed that I'm in over my head and can either devote many hours to learning to swim, or quickly ask y'all for help.

hi.

I've got a DZ60RGB V2 and I've got Via. I want to map the right shift to be ?/ on tap, RSHIFT on hold.

How do?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

DrHammond posted:

Okay, I've put in some cursory effort googling around, but my effort thusfar has essentially revealed that I'm in over my head and can either devote many hours to learning to swim, or quickly ask y'all for help.

hi.

I've got a DZ60RGB V2 and I've got Via. I want to map the right shift to be ?/ on tap, RSHIFT on hold.

How do?

If your board is QMK compatible, you can make a custom firmware that has that key function.

Its not a simple process, but can be done with an afternoon or weekend of effort.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

DrHammond posted:

hi.

How do?

You will probably need to do this in QMK instead of Via. AFAIK Via does not support this use case out of the box.

https://beta.docs.qmk.fm/using-qmk/advanced-keycodes/mod_tap

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

If your board is QMK compatible, you can make a custom firmware that has that key function.

Its not a simple process, but can be done with an afternoon or weekend of effort.

Precisely the "hours of learning to swim" I was hoping was avoidable but oh well, in for a penny in for a pound.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

DrHammond posted:

hi.

How do?

There's an alternate UI for Via called Vial (https://get.vial.today/download/). Vial supports adding that under the Quantum tab:

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

DrHammond posted:

hi.

How do?
One of the keys in Via is an option for entering a QMK keycode, you just put RSFT_T(KC_SLASH) into that (fiddle around with the VIA options so that you can type it in without automatically assigning a bunch of keys)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

DrHammond posted:

Precisely the "hours of learning to swim" I was hoping was avoidable but oh well, in for a penny in for a pound.

https://config.qmk.fm

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Potassium Problems posted:

There's an alternate UI for Via called Vial (https://get.vial.today/download/). Vial supports adding that under the Quantum tab:

This was the functional dumbdumb solution I needed. Thanks, and to all the others as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Gearman posted:

Hello friends! I made some custom FR4 plates for the GMMK Pro and I'm finally really to make them available. If you own a GMMK Pro, I think you'll really like this over the official plates that Glorious offers. For starters, any of your favorite stabilizers will fit just fine with these. If you'd like to buy one, you can find them here:
https://avxworks.com/products/gmmk-pro-fr4-plate

Also, if you'd like to save $5, at checkout use code: ILOVEAVXWORKS

Ordered one just now. Going to swap the foam for Stupidfish's and swap out the stabs.