Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
That UCS B-Wing came out during my dark and poor years and gently caress do I want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I could’ve got a half price one and I’m mad that I didn’t. Also it’ll never be made again due to that debacle, I’d imagine.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Barracuda Bay is retiring at the end of the year. Kinda want it...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is it? That would seem surprising.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Please let it be because there's another ship ready to take its place :pray:

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I'm posting this because I figured you guys might appreciate it. My dad was bored over the last year due to retirement and covid so he dug some of my old lego out of the attic and built it up and put it in cases. Hard to take pics of mirrored cases but I did the best I could. Some new sets mixed in here, some sets my dad bought, and some MOC my dad made. Not pictured: The 6990 monorail that I got for christmas one year, and bunch of knight and castle stuff, those are still in the attic.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

deoju posted:

Get it. No excuses.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

stratdax posted:

I'm posting this because I figured you guys might appreciate it. My dad was bored over the last year due to retirement and covid so he dug some of my old lego out of the attic and built it up and put it in cases. Hard to take pics of mirrored cases but I did the best I could. Some new sets mixed in here, some sets my dad bought, and some MOC my dad made. Not pictured: The 6990 monorail that I got for christmas one year, and bunch of knight and castle stuff, those are still in the attic.

Wow! :eyepop: Very cool.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

stratdax posted:

You were a lucky kid.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

stratdax posted:

this rules, very cool display

it reminds me of the toy cases in Big Fun in Columbus/Cleveland Ohio

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow you had a monster of a Lego collection as a kid. In such good shape too. My childhood stuff is trashed and I doubt I have a single complete set in that bucket.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

stratdax posted:

Holy poo poo, your dad's out there living my best life.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

God all that sweet Ferrari Lego, would kill to give that to my F1 obsessed buddy

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Thanks all! ^My dad bought the ferrari stuff over the last year, looks like it's from ~2007.
I also seem to remember having a police station? And a castle set with a glow in the dark ghost. I think those are long gone unfortunately.
Lots of stuff in there but I remember spending the most time with the Monorail, the MTron Magnetizer, the Neptune Discovery Lab, the 5990 Model Team semi + helicopter, 6270 Pirate island, and 6267 lagoon lockup. I think you can see the 6988 Blacktron base in the pics too... that's a weird one. Modular spaceship cockpits pop off the front, there doesn't seem to be any command centre in the base, I never really figured out what the intention was with it. There are probably other sets that have disappeared to the mists of time... I should go through lego sets from that era and see if anything brings back memories.

GlenMR posted:

Holy poo poo, your dad's out there living my best life.

He's gone deep with it. Has bins and bins of lego all sorted and sets stashed all over the house, yet to be opened. There are worse ways to stay busy I guess. I was never creative at all. I would build and pose the sets exactly how they were on the box. With just loose pieces the only thing I could build were crappy spaceships. Meanwhile my dad is building whole gas stations and garages and stuff.

Nowadays I don't have much room in my current place to any sets up, but I have a real appreciation for all the new City lineup sets I see on store shelves.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Haha your dad rocks

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
It's hard to pick a favorite thing out of that collection but in this moment I find myself bemoaning a lack of road and particularly space baseplates. As a kid who just had the Gas-n-Go Flyer I envy that complete range of Octan themed sets :argh:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

deoju posted:

I just impulse-bought it. My first new Lego set in like 15 years, so stoked!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sloppy posted:

I just impulse-bought it. My first new Lego set in like 15 years, so stoked!

Good choice, it rules.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Barracuda Bay is really cool. Well worth the expense.

My medieval castle and blacksmith shop just arrived yesterday along with the sailboat freebie, two weeks after I ordered them. The sailboat is really cute, and at least there are only two stickers, both of which are easy to place properly (not to mention they're identical). I definitely like the castle, but I do have a few complaints: first, the dragon is too top-heavy to pose easily; I ended up placing it on top of a roof section to keep it in place. Second, not enough minifigures. There's a throne room, but no king/nobleman figure, just for instance--there's just two guards and an armorer. Third, and related, there are no horses. It feels wrong having a medieval-themed set of any kind without horses. They were kind of a thing at the time! Anyways, I haven't tried any of the alternate builds yet, or put the blacksmith shop together yet, so we'll see how that goes.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

stratdax posted:

:eyepop:

that is basically my childhood dreams summed up in photos

In other news, pulled the trigger on Barracuda Bay given the impending retirement. Super excited :kiddo:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Good job, goons. Barracuda Bay is excellent. I'd put it as #1 on the best sets I've ever built. An absolute joy from start to finish. And then it looks fantastic in presentation. It's basically the perfect set. I really wish they do a castle and a classic space set that are similar.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
My daughter and I just started Barracuda Bay this afternoon and she's brought in the minidolls to play while I feel out over the instruction manual. Amazing looking set.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Barracuda Bay is the most satisfying set to build and it's not close.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Chairchucker posted:

Barracuda Bay is the most satisfying set to build and it's not close.

I don't have Barracude Bay, but clicking together the stages of the Saturn V at the end of the build was incredibly satisfying.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ninjago City sets are pretty much unbeatable for build experience although I don't have Barracuda bay.

The downside of collecting mostly Star Wars is that while the sets are never not fun to build, they are just way less charming to put together than any sort of funkier set. On the rare occasion I spring for a modular or some sort of adult oriented set the whole time I am just floored at hw entertaining it is to build. I'm so used to building colorful technic frames that look like nothing and then surrounding them with gray plates.

The ISD is a really great build though. Way more fun than the Falcon was, which is surprising because the Falcon is a little more varied. Mostly I just couldn't believe the engineering that went into making it look so perfect and how well the greebling is done. Overall I am just amazed with that set. has to be my personal favorite set to date, but I am biased because I love the ship. All of the angles and details are so loving perfect.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The retirement list as stands. There’a some surprising ones on there, considering they only came out this year.

I definitely need to get Barracuda Bay, Corner Garage, and maybe The Upside-Down by the year’s end then.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Spring Lantern Festival is the big one on my list, maybe the Friends Jungle Rescue Base too since my daughter really wants those sloths.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

Ninjago City sets are pretty much unbeatable for build experience although I don't have Barracuda bay.

:hai: Some folks don't care for the water stages but I personally found them extremely satisfying.

Which build is everyone doing for Barracuda Bay, the ship or the bay?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Bay, since it'll work better as a play area I think.

In the long run I've got to work out how to incorporate the creator pirate set.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

:hai: Some folks don't care for the water stages but I personally found them extremely satisfying.

Por que nos los dios?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Oh fine I guess I'll finally snag Barracuda Bay since it's retiring this year, put a gun to my head why don't ya. :argh:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

stratdax posted:

He's gone deep with it. Has bins and bins of lego all sorted and sets stashed all over the house, yet to be opened.

Yeah my dad is more or less the same. He's converted one room on the basement floor to his lego workshop and is running a Bricklink store from it. He even has my brother 3D printing storage boxes for his sorting system.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bay, I like it a lot more and it just feels more unique.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I know everyone loves barracuda bay, but I just can't bring myself to start in on a new theme after seeing what we've done with trains and modulars. If I got it I know inside a year I'd have some ridiculous diorama of pirates attacking the Spanish armada with somehow another millennium falcon providing air support.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

davebo posted:

If I got it I know inside a year I'd have some ridiculous diorama of pirates attacking the Spanish armada with somehow another millennium falcon providing air support.

Not seeing the problem with this.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

davebo posted:

I know everyone loves barracuda bay, but I just can't bring myself to start in on a new theme after seeing what we've done with trains and modulars. If I got it I know inside a year I'd have some ridiculous diorama of pirates attacking the Spanish armada with somehow another millennium falcon providing air support.

I mean, you're somewhat safe in the sense that lego doesn't have a tradition of putting out a new Barracuda Bay sized pirates set each year.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

a new Barracuda Bay sized pirates set each year.

:pray:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

how is the lego typewriter? a good display piece I assume?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I wish I liked the pirates stuff but I hate the sails so very much. It’s me, the wrong thought person. The friends stuff is surprisingly charming, thanks for the reminder to pick up the set with sloths and elephants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

So if I was going to buy Barracuda Bay from the lego store, I assume throwing in a keychain or something small would get me the sailboat as well? First time in about a decade I'm looking at buying a new set.