Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I think it’s Easy yeah, I remember being pretty shocked that they just give you something like an HP leeching attack for the easy mode drop. But maybe that’s the point, thinking about it, huh?

And something that can hit multiple targets at once and is super easy to obtain at that (seriously, by the time I got to the end the game was practically throwing World Within pins at me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Larryb posted:

Ah right, fixed. However, I believe they’ll only drop it if you fight them on Easy (I could be wrong though)

Technically, you can fight them on Ultimate and there’s still a chance that their Easy pin drops, since when the game determines drops, apparently if you don’t get the one from your current difficulty, it then rolls for dropping a pin from the next-lowest difficulty, and so on until you either win one of those pins or you just run out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, it’s probably been mentioned before but fun little detail I noticed: in the Ayano fight, she will almost never target Shoka with her crucifixion attack. However, if the latter is in your party during the Another Day rematch Ayano will do so the second the fight starts

Somewhat related, does the cutscene before you take on the secret boss change at all if Minamimoto isn’t in your party at the time?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I finished the last Dive with 14'25" on the clock, I wanna cry

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

How do you get the black cat pins?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Does anyone have a list of the stats for the foods unlocked via Bon Appetit?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

How do you get the black cat pins?

two are purchased, the rest are rare drops. more details here

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Since someone else mentioned earlier stacking HP Boost IV because it's ridiculous, I, a person who went and looked at the ability list, would like to throw out that you should check the effects when you do so.

Why? Because not all HP Boost IV's are the same.

The Generic HP Boost IV is always 100%. But character locked ones are not. Usually this results in them being lower (usually around 70%), but for whatever reason the Jumpsuit Which has Neku: HP Boost IV is way up at 120% instead.

Incidentally, as far as I can tell this applies to every similar thing. The generic version of a boost is always the same, but character locked ones can vary wildly.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 15, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
At 48 hours, I got my fill of the game. Not gonna get into the blue boss rematches, but I will read the reports and watch the secret boss + ending. Then make a big effort post about why thsi game loving rules.

Okay, let's see if my ramble can be somewhat coherent

-Gameplay: the very core of NEO:TWEWY is that it's a very fun ARPG. It feels good. The idea is kinda unique and it's very well balanced around it. You have 6 possible inputs for attack and you have over 300 attacks to choose from. The variation is great, allows for several different ways to tackle the entire game so you can tune it to the pins you enjoy using. This is further encouraged by the level system, you can put yourself in greater danger, limit hte number of mistakes you can make, so you're more likely to get new, better, pins and evolve your playstyle. This means getting into bigger combat strings. This means getting more money. That leads to the food system, you get the money to buy the food and also by doing combat you're burning the calories so you can beef up more often. With food being relatively cheap, you're thus able to spend on clothes and customize your team further the options are vast enough that you can figure out what combinations you like. Then you throw in the network system and even if someone's locked to way later in the week, you can sometimes still see what they offer, and thus you're chasing for when you can unlock, say, the ability to use more Uber pins.

It's a gameplay loop with enough layers that you can be focusing on one thing but still progressing on another two. And it's all optional to the point where you could do days without a single non-scripted battle. The freedom of choice further elevates this loop, it's yours. As if the gameloop ended with you. NEO.

-Story: On a fanservice angle, it's everything a fan of TWEWY could ever want. Build the reunion between Shiki and Neku yet again so you can see it from a different angle and with her face. Beat is there to be a knight in himbo armor. Minamimoto is like the Steve Austin of Shibuya or something, hell they play his thematically appropriate theme every time he walks into the frame and by all accounts is framed to be the next mayor thing in this story. And yet they found a way for all these returning characters not to take away shine from the new cast.

For our new lads. Rindo is probably one of my favorite teenage protagonists in forever. Someone kinda trapped by the digital age; in a crucial point of his life, angry and bitter yet unaware of it. Over the course of the game the Replay power really makes his soul grow; he gets to see how different actions lead to different outcomes not just for grand reality saving situations, but just how being a nicer person leads to people being nicer in return. The shakeup when the reposter gets exposed felt like a very modern yet natural way to force his growth. To think critically at the same time as he understands that being uncaring doesn't mean he's being mature.

Fret is just the right flavor of the lovely best friend. He's got the annoying traits, but always just tame enough to stay in the side of funny. Getting a crush and flirting but not being a creep about it. I gasped when he said "not again", it was such a perfectly delivered punch to find out he'd lost someone, and then that it was due to suicide? loving rough and fitting.

Nagi I simply relate to. The way she positions herself to be the quiet glue of the group is something I felt and done many times. The overthinking of communication to best improve the moods of those around her rings so true. I agree that she's overall static and more than anything we see how she changes her social masks once meeting someone she trusts. I guess it kinda goes along with her being the oldest one in a game where 18 year old are grizzled veterans. Just loved any time she put on the empathy.

Shoka is a pretty well done victim of abuse. Searching for small ways to rebel, latching on to relationships but being afraid to fully act on them. It is kinda messy how she betrayed and then didn't follow through, but I can see that fitting with her state of mind. I didn't catch on the Sparrow stuff until way too late, but it was a good reveal.

The Shinjuku Reapers are a cool bunch. The way Kubo just wrecked their life was great. Wish we could know a bit about Tsugumi's brother and how that day went down in Shinjuku, but I guess what matters is that Kubo destroyed their lives and took the community leader from them the moment they could start rebuilding in Shibuya. When they needed to embrace a change, the influenced Shiba instead put chains on them, act under his (aka Kubo's) will with a distaste for Shibuya, for postiive change, and at least get the comfort of being on the good side of the strongest pillar in their lives. Like everything was changing so drastically, the hope that Shiba was doing things right, that they just needed to not rock the boat for everything to be ok, is enough to drive people to the sins they made.
Except Susukichi imo. He probably could've stayed a villain. Though I did like that he revealed the one thing he liked of Shibuya was the underpass that was unlike the rest of the city, quiet. Kinda manages to ring true to how Shibuya has so much clashing points of views that even Sussy K found something to like.

Which turns to what I think is the mayor theme, the bravery to change, transform, all that is in your life and not let your self doubt stop you. From the very first action you can take in the game being deciding between eating a new kind of food or just eating the same thing as always, to the final boss being the manifestation of all the untaken possibilities. How it loops into gameplay because you can simply step towards the story, or you can put yourself in more dangerous situations with enemies in order to chase the hope of a better situation with stats/gear/pins, even if the latter is literally just possibility vs a guarantee. The sense of community is also great, our heroes win by working together by expressing themselves first while our villains bide their time in unhappy situations and letting it stay the same. Minamimoto and the rest have to change how they interact with each other and with the world in order to come up top. Rindo literally has to accept being a protagonist, that Minamimoto, Beat and Rindo are his Allies and not his superiors. God, just those final hours are such amazing growth.

That's why the ending really works. It's such a real, day to day thing now. Online relationships can evolve to be deeper with face to face communication. It's a scary transformation, but one that can be so satisfying when you find all the small things that can't be conveyed in digital means and yet they make that other person even more valuable to you. It lands to me in particular because that's how I met my wife. That's a risk I took eight years ago. And now we've lived together for five. Seeing it resonate not just with the finale but with what it's saying for the entire 48 hours I've engaged with the game is just... wonderful.

So, yeah, I love NEO TWEWY. Quite likely the GOTY. I think there's enough rope here for a 3, and that Minamimoto would be the driving force in it like they're a wrestler trying to get the title belt off of the higher planes.

-oh yeah presentation
uh, it loving rules. so many banger songs, the visual style is extremely strong, UI is great, hell the form of moving fast is stylish as gently caress, too.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 15, 2021

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
As Week 3 goes on and the game tries to get more challenging the jankiness is starting to get overwhelming.

I don't know if I've done something wrong but every enemy seems to be an HP sack by this point.

The Chameleon and Shark noise designs are made to be annoying and tedious to fight. Who puts enemies with the ability to essentially leave the battlefield into timed combats? The Chameleon, especially, makes the game worse by existing.

The game persistently displays "ready" above pins that are not ready.

Charging characters lose their charge if someone else dodges.

The camera and target selector are more dangerous than the Noise. The majority of hits come from off-camera Noise.

I nearly chucked it in at a mandatory 5-reduction dive with a Chameleon at stage 2 and an HP sack at stage 4. Why did anyone think it would be fun to replay that? Use of bosses in that way is a bit outdated.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk what trick you use on the chameleons to clown them but sharks are pretty fangless with some knockback/launching stuff but maybe the week 3 versions are immune to that?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
chameleons' eyes glow as they're readying their attacks (which are easily dodgeable with the fifth party member's skill) and they can be targeted like any other Noise once you get close enough, plus they're all vulnerable to being launched. they're obnoxious but far less dangerous than, say, the freakin bears

the birds+wolves were what drove me up the wall, especially in week 2 when i was grinding out scramble slams

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Sharks are chumps the whole way through. I do agree chameleons suck.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Who's everyone's favorite Shinjuku reaper as a aside.

I got Suzy K as mine. Originally I found his 'btw I'm good' twist loving stupid but going back through the game and realizing that no he's been honest the whole time really brought him up. Him testing the twisters in week 1 with Ryoji and following them around to see how they play, the fact that his favorite game is one where he needs to really plan things out and a lot of his actions really do build up to him actually being a pretty on the up and up dude. That and he's hilarious.

Kaie is probably my runner up even though it took until someone said his name out loud for me to realize it wasn't Kale

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

hyphz posted:

As Week 3 goes on and the game tries to get more challenging the jankiness is starting to get overwhelming.

I don't know if I've done something wrong but every enemy seems to be an HP sack by this point.

The Chameleon and Shark noise designs are made to be annoying and tedious to fight. Who puts enemies with the ability to essentially leave the battlefield into timed combats? The Chameleon, especially, makes the game worse by existing.

The game persistently displays "ready" above pins that are not ready.

Charging characters lose their charge if someone else dodges.

The camera and target selector are more dangerous than the Noise. The majority of hits come from off-camera Noise.

I nearly chucked it in at a mandatory 5-reduction dive with a Chameleon at stage 2 and an HP sack at stage 4. Why did anyone think it would be fun to replay that? Use of bosses in that way is a bit outdated.

Week 3 is a definite difficulty spike, but it levels out eventually as you get stronger pins. Some of these things you're describing as jankiness though are just the game's combat working as intended.

The "ready" above pins is to get your attention that it's about to be useable.

In a game that involves controlling a bunch of characters at once, it doesn't really make much distinction between who is using and who is dodging. Not being able to dodge without interrupting a charge is an intentional trade off.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I got Suzy K as mine. Originally I found his 'btw I'm good' twist loving stupid but going back through the game and realizing that no he's been honest the whole time really brought him up. Him testing the twisters in week 1 with Ryoji and following them around to see how they play, the fact that his favorite game is one where he needs to really plan things out and a lot of his actions really do build up to him actually being a pretty on the up and up dude. That and he's hilarious.

Kaie is probably my runner up even though it took until someone said his name out loud for me to realize it wasn't Kale

Suzy K for the reasons described above (he seemed to enjoy giving the gang the runaround at times but if you think about it at no point did he technically ever outright lie to them).

I also thought Shoka wound up being a decent character overall and I can at least appreciate how Kubo is not only an enormous piece of poo poo but is clearly loving every minute of it.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 16, 2021

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Susukichi or Shoka are the only real answers here. I can't imagine anyone choosing any of the others, Shokie and Susy K just stand well above the rest.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Regy Rusty posted:

The "ready" above pins is to get your attention that it's about to be useable.

No it isn't. It's used for Mashups/Killer Remix. The more characters that are 'Ready', the more damage your Mashups do and the higher your drop rate bonus from the Killer Remix is. Characters get 'Ready' by involving them in beat drop combos, either starting or continuing them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

serefin99 posted:

No it isn't. It's used for Mashups/Killer Remix. The more characters that are 'Ready', the more damage your Mashups do and the higher your drop rate bonus from the Killer Remix is. Characters get 'Ready' by involving them in beat drop combos, either starting or continuing them.

woah. I knew that mechanic but I didn't know that was the indicator!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
It'd still be so much better if they'd put the energy bars above the pins and the ready indicators below, so that the more important information is nearer your eye.

On the other hand, apparently Switch hackers have found that TWEWY is basically written in straightforward Unity 2019 and has most of the game data in raw JSON. If that's the case, then when the PC version comes out it could potentially be highly moddable.

Also, Susukichi for being the only person who realised that when you're fighting other players rather than Noise, you can just punch them. Like, if a certain person decides to pull their laptop out during a fight, you can distract them by hitting them with combinations of psychs, or you could just snatch the laptop, smash it over your knee, and chuck it in the river.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Oh that's how that works? poo poo, I just thought the multiplier was always equal to your current party size. :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Whee I beat the superboss and got the last black cat pin once I understood his pattern he's really easy... at least on Normal. Maybe this will even help me with the Ultimate difficulty of his other version.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Susukichi or Shoka are the only real answers here. I can't imagine anyone choosing any of the others, Shokie and Susy K just stand well above the rest.

Kaie is a sweetie pie and I want to hang out with him and drink fancy teas while getting my fortune read.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I love how photoshopping Susukichi's selfies into other locations has become a meme

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
And his English VA recorded the Steiner speech in character.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah it wasn't a super hard swallow for me cause ultimately he doesn't do outright evil stuff. He antagonizes the Wicked Twisters in week 1, but he's also clearly scouting them as well on looking through that again. He does partake in the game, which he really likes, though that has the consequence of erasing players. But that's a Reaper's job anyways.

Regy Rusty posted:

Whee I beat the superboss and got the last black cat pin once I understood his pattern he's really easy... at least on Normal. Maybe this will even help me with the Ultimate difficulty of his other version.

Ultimate is really more having to do the fight for longer. The bigger annoyances will likely be your party members taking unnecessary damage and hoping you can avoid his slam attack.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man after how frustrated I was with the final Dive this morning, coming back to it much stronger and wielding the full Black Cat set - and thus demolishing it in less than 5 minutes - was extremely satisfying. Finally got all the secret reports! Gotta do the other ending tomorrow and then at least I'll be done with the really important stuff.

Probably my biggest obstacle at this point to getting 100% will be grinding money to buy all the clothes and material pins I still need, just cause that's a lot more boring than collecting the remaining pin drops.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

yeah that was not nearly as bad as i thought it'd be, though i'm still not 100% sure how i won

fighting him is mostly a matter of timing your dodges, especially for his rushing claw-swipe, since it can catch multiple party members at once. pins branded with his eyes trigger an instant counterattack if they're used, though it seems like countering that counter is the only way to knock him off his feet

does breaking his armor blow away a huge chunk of his health or something? the last 30% or so of his lifebar disappeared all at once

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

does breaking his armor blow away a huge chunk of his health or something? the last 30% or so of his lifebar disappeared all at once

It does

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

excellent

now that i've got the full set i guess i can money grind whenever i want to zone out for little while. W3D5 shibuya hikarie nets about 650k a run if you chain all the available noise

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Oxxidation posted:

yeah that was not nearly as bad as i thought it'd be, though i'm still not 100% sure how i won

pins branded with his eyes trigger an instant counterattack if they're used, though it seems like countering that counter is the only way to knock him off his feet

Ah, so that's how you're supposed to do that fight. I was very confused with the mechanics. Doing that also explodes part of his armor, but I was confused on how to do it consistently or what the game was asking of me.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Larryb posted:

On another note, it’s probably been mentioned before but fun little detail I noticed: in the Ayano fight, she will almost never target Shoka with her crucifixion attack. However, if the latter is in your party during the Another Day rematch Ayano will do so the second the fight starts

love that the justification for the shoulder lizard is that she took Shoka's pet.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Suzy's great for every reason you mentioned but I love his English voice. He's got this smug Gilbert Gottfried energy.

As a fight, going into the Mr. Mew fight with Last Call playing is my favorite boss.

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 16, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

love that the justification for the shoulder lizard is that she took Shoka's pet.

I don’t remember if the lizard is ever explained much in the main game. If not, I choose to believe that’s the canon explanation as well

Araxxor posted:

Ah, so that's how you're supposed to do that fight. I was very confused with the mechanics. Doing that also explodes part of his armor, but I was confused on how to do it consistently or what the game was asking of me.

So on the subject of the secret boss, when IS the safest time to get some attacks in? Even on Easy with an HP Vampire capable pin equipped in all but one of my slots and making liberal use of the dodge he still wiped the floor with me on my first attempt

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 16, 2021

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Larryb posted:

I feel obliged to note this only applies the first time you fight it. If you go and do it again they'll target whoever.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Like I still don't care for the last bits of Suzukichi's character, but his role and how he interacts with you for most of the game are excellent and I love it every time he's on screen. I wish I was as lucky as this dude with the lifesize Sussy K cardboard cutout

https://twitter.com/KZXcellent/status/1427138664841326593

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also a bit of a missed opportunity in my opinion: taking Rindo out of the party on Another Day should have also changed the character you control in the overworld

It’s kind of weird there’s no voice acting at all aside from recycled clips during Another Day though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 16, 2021

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Larryb posted:

Also a bit of a missed opportunity in my opinion: taking Rindo out of the party on Another Day should have also changed the character you control in the overworld

It’s kind of weird there’s no voice acting at all aside from recycled clips during Another Day though.

Why pour your heart and soul into assets that will get used all of once?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why pour your heart and soul into assets that will get used all of once?

Well, you can take your current party with you when replaying days but fair point.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I loved Susukichi just because of how headbanging his boss theme is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
There is one small change if you take Rindo out of the party: if you refight Phoenix Cantus without Rindo in the party, Neku is the one who deals the final blow at the end of the fight instead.