Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i gotta ask, why give a gently caress about fuel economy on a truck thats getting 4k miles a year? its gonna be a couple hundred bucks a year in fuel cost max. i assume you mean real SUV because you also put crossover in the options so I think you should either get a 4Runner or a Lexus GX because all of that other stuff you posted is a crossover

Fair point. Prefer crossover then. Just because I don't use it as often doesn't mean I prefer burning more gas for no reason. Also the annoyance of driving / parking a larger vehicle and it seems dumb to have something massive that I drive alone in. I can haul the occasional big stuff in a trailer, just no want or need for a full size SUV in our lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
but in general people pay a premium for fuel economy so the math doesn't usually work for low annual miles use

anyway a RAV-4 should fit the bill

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if you live in a dense street parking heavy metro area getting your car a little nicked up is just a fact of life. if you really care, put your nice car in a garage.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

but in general people pay a premium for fuel economy so the math doesn't usually work for low annual miles use

anyway a RAV-4 should fit the bill

I'm not getting a full size SUV (tahoe, 4runner etc), full stop. It makes no sense to buy something with a massive curb weight to tow a trailer that my Prius could probably tow the few times a year I use it. We don't have kids (nor will) and we don't need to put 5+ bodies in a car etc. Plus I don't want to take up extra space in the garage or have a harder time parking something like that for no purpose.

Searching for all types (SUV/crossover/truck) in our price range only yields CRV/RAV4 types and none of the large SUVs are even listing so its moot anyway.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Went to see a car at a dealership today, it had a clean carfax record and looked fine to my amateur eyes. When I went to get it checked by a mechanic though, apparently there was a lot of body filler, the front had been replaced, and it'd clearly been in an unreported accident. Is there a good guide to suss out this kind of thing before splurging on a mechanic check?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can train to be a mechanic but I don't think that's what you mean.

Bodywork con artists are super good these days but on a hack job/general checkpoints you can probably tell as a layman sometimes from:

Subtle paint seams
Huge panel gaps
Rough action on doors opening, closing, and latching
Two tone or rusty body segments
Obviously painted parts that shouldn't be or overspray of things near painted stuff that are very probably two tone or rusty
Subtlety non straight lines especially with hammer marks

Check body between the door, in the engine compartment, in the trunk. But it's really gonna sing the liers song from underneath so get on the floor/bring a mirror (short of having access to a pit or doing more effort than you're saving just going straight to the inspection).

And just be ready to not see it, there's basically a whole world of professional repairmen who can make a car look normal to everyone who isn't a mechanic. If it's obvious, it's obvious and for the rest thats why you get a PPI.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I've noticed that rental car prices have been crashing down lately, and anecdotally I've heard that used car prices have been coming down, but I'm not sure how interrelated those two markets are.

Online I'm seeing some really weird pricing where a 2013 Corolla is priced at 18k, and a 2019 Corolla is at 19k.

I'm gonna start hitting dealerships next week, and I'm just curious on people's opinions on how hard I should be trying to negotiate down right now.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I've noticed that rental car prices have been crashing down lately

Not related to your question, but where are you seeing this? We actually need to rent a car in the next couple weeks, and I'm seeing $90/day for the cheapest economy car at Enterprise still. Almost twice that for cheap economy cars at Hertz. Which is absurd.

If you have some hot tips, I'd love to hear them.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

incogneato posted:

Not related to your question, but where are you seeing this? We actually need to rent a car in the next couple weeks, and I'm seeing $90/day for the cheapest economy car at Enterprise still. Almost twice that for cheap economy cars at Hertz. Which is absurd.

This is going to be heavily location dependent. Also check any sort of travel portal you may have with any sort of credit cards, employer portal (my company has pre negotiated leisure rates for employees), etc. Going direct to the website with no promo code or corporate code is going to get you the highest rate. Small travel hack, you can often avoid the heinous fees involved with renting a car at the airport, by renting from a non airport location. A 15 dollar Uber ride to an Enterprise office not at the airport could save you over 100 bucks.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

incogneato posted:

I used Costco Travel and the rental price for an Intermediate/Fullsize (usually the same price) in Atlanta for next week was something like $80 2 months ago, $60 1 month ago, and $40 last night. All on Avis.

N = 1, ofc, so take with a grain of salt.

Also, avoid renting at the airport when possible. In my case it was something like 70 buck/day at ATL vs $40/day in the city.

Edit: checked Miami through Costco and it's even cheaper, like $32/day.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 12, 2021

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Thanks! I hadn't even considered Costco since we only recently got a Costco membership. I'll figure out how to check there.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I'm too lazy (or arrive too late) to pick up off-site, so I am always renting at the airport. Last 3 months:

May: full-size: $45/day, small market airport (Reno)
June: full-size $94/day, small market airport (Jackson MS)
July: full-size $58/day, large market airport (Nashville TN)

Guys I met in July rented a Suburban in New Orleans for $120/day or something silly like that.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

my brand new tacoma got rear ended at a stop sign. my first accident ever. the other car is totaled. the police think my bumper damage is minimal and im freaking pissed because the hit was hard as hell (suspect frame or bed damage) and if they're saying that, I can only imagine what insurance is going to give me. I'm going to have a brand new tacoma with a repaired rear ender.. god im so mad.

the other driver doesnt own the car and has a shady history with duis too, so thats great

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 14, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If the frame is bent they have to total it out.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Is there a way to get them to verify the frame
Is ok without having the adjuster just stand there and say yup looks good

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The only thing you need from the police report is whose fault is it. Sounds like it wasn't yours, so other driver's insurance should be on the hook for the repairs and your medical bills. Do not deal with the other driver's insurance company directly. This is what you pay your insurance Co to do. Call them immediately, make a claim, submit all the info.

Go get checked by a doctor make sure you don't have issues from the collision. Many neck or back injuries will not show up immediately.

Then find a reputable body shop in the area and tell them exactly what happened, so they can look at your car and give an honest estimate. The insurance company will tell you to go to a body shop of their choosing, but you absolutely do not have to do that. The insurance-affiliated Body shop has a good chance of low balling that repair estimate. Insist on using OEM parts in the repair.

If they decide to Total the vehicle, they owe you fair market value, meaning what you would have to pay in order to get a similar car right now. They might immediately send you a check for a bullshit amount, do not cash that check if you feel the amount isn't fair. You can absolutely haggle all the way to the Moon with an insurance company, don't be afraid to do that.

Now, if you have a good insurance company, you may not need to fight them on every corner. But this is the point where most people learn the difference between a good insurance co and garbage like Geico. Report back, let us know how it goes

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 15, 2021

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

So you’re saying I should just go ahead and submit my own collision insurance and pay my deductible? I’m not sure which auto body shop to go right now for a brand new Tacoma. Might call the Toyota dealer I just bought it from and ask who they recommend for body work. I’m pretty positive it won’t be totaled. While it felt like a hard hit I see no visual signs of frame damage jumping out. It’s mostly the destroyed bumper and bent tailgate. The front of the bed doesn’t look crumpled anywhere

ethanol fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 15, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes. Call your insurance company. This is why you pay them. Do not call the dealer.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I already called my insurance company (I called at the scene and again at home) but they said they would contact the other insurance company and other driver and we would talk about filing under my collision tomorrow if they don’t answer the phone

https://i.imgur.com/Q2sVY8j.jpg

Here’s a pic of some scuffs on the bottom of the leaf spring mount. So his part of his car went through my bumper and ended there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Good news - that part is welded to the frame so if you're willing to put up a big enough stink about it not being returned to its original condition, you're probably getting a new car. I mean, it wouldn't really affect anything to just repaint it but if you channel your inner Karen, the sky's the limit!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

it took me 3 months to find this one…. Tacoma trd off roads are few and far between right now

Edit: I bumped it into collision because of advice here and I’m not going to wait for this deadbeat to answer his phone. Deductible was waived

ethanol fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 15, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

ethanol posted:

it took me 3 months to find this one…. Tacoma trd off roads are few and far between right now

Edit: I bumped it into collision because of advice here and I’m not going to wait for this deadbeat to answer his phone. Deductible was waived

Idk what kind of backwater insurance company you have, but I've not heard of 'waiting for the other party to answer their phone' before your company agrees to file a claim under your policy, lol. But sounds like you're getting it settled, I am looking forward to hearing how it goes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

incogneato posted:

I think most of Western Europe didn't get into this situation but I was in Ukraine a week ago and there were LITERALLY NO CARS. Like Sixt, Avis, Budget, Europcar had nothing at all, not even for $500. Ended up just hiring a car with a driver, it was cheaper than any rent+gas would be anyway lol.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Idk what kind of backwater insurance company you have, but I've not heard of 'waiting for the other party to answer their phone' before your company agrees to file a claim under your policy, lol. But sounds like you're getting it settled, I am looking forward to hearing how it goes.

It wasn’t like that, they offered to file collision but I was like well I dunno do I have to do that if the other person is at fault, can’t you call their insurance first.. etc. It’s probably more my ignorance of the situation and bad communication skills than the insurance company

Anyways I’m going to have the adjuster come out asap, if they go low I’m going to point out the frame damage and say this frame is clearly damaged and the cars rear crumple zone has been compromised after this crash and I don’t feel safe driving it with only new body panels.

Also measuring the gap between the bed and tje cab, the gap is half an inch less on the crash side with some scuff mark indications that the bed was pushed into the cab. But no mash ripples in the bodywork so this will definitely be an interesting adjustment, probably still an uphill battle for me

Edit: also just found a dent in the cab where the bed pushed into it

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 15, 2021

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Proposed Budget: uhhhh, sub 50k? Moved from HCoL to Lower CoL area, but need car, ideally would like to be around 30k max.

New or Used: Prefer new, as used market seems insane at the moment, see 18k used corolla vs 19k new corolla mentioned up thread. Plan to run whatever it is into the ground.

Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) Crossover/SUV with the caveat that I am 6 foot 6, so that is often the limiting factor. 4 door, space for dog + kid in future. Hate full size SUVs, and still live in an "urban" area.

How will you be using the car?: No commuting as me and wife are 100% work from home, this is for costco/grocery store runs, and then 4-10 hour drives to family. Need "some" off roadability as my wife's family lives in an ultra rural swamp area, and the road often turns into a mess of mud. We used to have a 2009 Jeep Liberty and that was "enough" for context. We actually really liked that car so something in that same size range would be perfect.

What aspects are most important to you? I need to fit, comfort as far as long distance driving, and decent interior space. Not a minivan, that can be next car. Also not fussy as this will be our only car, not a mechanic, but am handy enough to fix something if I can youtube it.

Edit:

Somethings we have talked about:

My wife likes the new bronco, I'm ok with it

Her parents Teluride is ok, maybe a bit big? Like carplay + all the video options

We both hate my parents ford flex

This is sorta weird: Turning radius? She loved that about the jeep we had, I don't love their current line up though.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 15, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

freeasinbeer posted:

Proposed Budget: uhhhh, sub 50k? Moved from HCoL to Lower CoL area, but need car, ideally would like to be around 30k max.

New or Used: Prefer new, as used market seems insane at the moment, see 18k used corolla vs 19k new corolla mentioned up thread. Plan to run whatever it is into the ground.

Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) Crossover/SUV with the caveat that I am 6 foot 6, so that is often the limiting factor. 4 door, space for dog + kid in future. Hate full size SUVs, and still live in an "urban" area.

How will you be using the car?: No commuting as me and wife are 100% work from home, this is for costco/grocery store runs, and then 4-10 hour drives to family. Need "some" off roadability as my wife's family lives in an ultra rural swamp area, and the road often turns into a mess of mud. We used to have a 2009 Jeep Liberty and that was "enough" for context. We actually really liked that car so something in that same size range would be perfect.

What aspects are most important to you? I need to fit, comfort as far as long distance driving, and decent interior space. Not a minivan, that can be next car. Also not fussy as this will be our only car, not a mechanic, but am handy enough to fix something if I can youtube it.

Edit:

Somethings we have talked about :

My wife likes the new bronco, I'm ok with it

Her parents Teluride is ok, maybe a bit big? Like carplay + all the video options

We both hate my parents ford flex

This is sorta weird: Turning radius? She loved that about the jeep we had, I don't love their current line up though.

Well I'm going to get in before anyone can suggest something sensible like a Buick whatever and say you should look at a station wagon if you don't like SUVs.

https://www.audiusa.com/us/web/en/models/a4/a4-allroad/2022/overview.html

Idk if there are any used ones available yet but maybe a used A6 Allroad would be in range. That would be a wonderful car to do a 10 hour road trip in.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27746256/audi-a6-allroad-wagon-photos-info/

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

An A6 all road? drat dude what did he ever do to you?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I was going to say a v90 cross country, but it might be just outside your price range. Might be able to get a lease trade in less than 50k

Wife has a Jeep Compass, and I (a 6' big guy) really don't fit in it well. The Cherokee might be a good option, but I'm pretty sure the Grand Cherokee is the same size as the Telluride.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 15, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

skipdogg posted:

An A6 all road? drat dude what did he ever do to you?

the new ones are a lot more reliable

OP will probably be best served at their size by sitting in a bunch of stuff and figuring out what works. 6'6" is definitely pushing it.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
More then 50k is doable; we’re both keeping our HCoL salaries so we’ve been joking about Porsche’s,

I just don’t love going that high.

We’re also in a position to borrow cars from family til Christmas time ish if it makes sense to wait. My worry is that chip shortage isn’t getting better til 2023.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

oh in re Bronco or Bronco Sport, don't buy Year One Ford products.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

OP will probably be best served at their size by sitting in a bunch of stuff and figuring out what works. 6'6" is definitely pushing it.

This, poo poo is sketchy at 6'4 and another couple inches definitely matters in this regard.

heh

It's certainly not an ideal time to buy but you're probably right about things not getting significantly better anytime soon either.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah; folks are telling us to wait out the market, but I don’t know if good will in the form of borrowing a car will last that long.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I also get away with fitting in a lot more stuff then you’d think because my legs are normal people size and my torso is where the length is, so things with more headroom still work for me. I just can’t wear ten gallon hats.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

freeasinbeer posted:

I also get away with fitting in a lot more stuff then you’d think because my legs are normal people size and my torso is where the length is, so things with more headroom still work for me. I just can’t wear ten gallon hats.

yeah it's super dependent on proportions. I have a friend who is like 5'8 but due to extremely long legs has a harder time than you might think time fitting in cars.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah it's super dependent on proportions. I have a friend who is like 5'8 but due to extremely long legs has a harder time than you might think time fitting in cars.

https://youtu.be/yWPLsJvJ7iw

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I scheduled a auto body shop estimate for my rear ended tacoma for tomorrow. Question, are there non frame components which could shift the bed forward half an inch on one side? Like a bent leaf spring maybe? I do not see any ripples in the rear left body panel. I know the bed struck the cab because it left a dent imprint in the cab pillar. As far as I can tell the truck drives the same, with the exception of the parking/bsm systems don't work anymore (probably because the bumper sensor was obliterated)

ethanol fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 16, 2021

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The bolts/mounts that bolt the bed to the frame might be sheared or bent.

How far off are we talking here?

Edit: you said half an inch. Yeah I'd look for any brackets attaching the bed to the frame that look to be damaged.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 16, 2021

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Hmm, I think I found the problem

Right
https://i.imgur.com/iljACjR.jpg
Left
https://i.imgur.com/TjL3Aoi.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They're not bending that back. That car is going to auction.