Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
the end of hamilton

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

GetFiscal has a podcast? Why is this the first I'm hearing of it??

because it sucks lol

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Finally! Thank you based covid

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

halfway through suicide squad and cena is absolutely killing it

evil himbo is a great character

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

i say swears online posted:

halfway through suicide squad and cena is absolutely killing it

evil himbo is a great character
he's basically the opposite of Chris Hemsworth in Ghostbusters (2016) -- it works hilariously well

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the sleepy rat girl reminds me of the dicemaker from disco elysium

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

White Lotus was pretty enjoyable imo I didn't realize it was a comedy, so it was surprisingly funny. They really drummed up the suspense with the first scene, the intro, the music, etc., but the finale didn't quite earn it. Tonally it was very odd sometimes with the big swings between dread and jokes. In that sense it reminded me a lot of Parasite. I'm sure there are more apt tv comparisons, but I haven't watched them.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1426300184686858242

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

seems dumb, just make it a condition of employment then nobody needs to bother

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

who's employed by who gets pretty vague on film/tv sets so it makes more sense to have everyone wear a badge, which i'm pretty sure they currently do already for covid testing - can't go on set if you haven't had your regular test.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/angrybklynmom/status/1427036338658942976

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

my current film job does mandatory 3x testing per week and if you get a vaccinated destination on your badge, you're allowed to ride in production vans/buses and take your mask off outdoors. it's one of the only industries I've heard of doing it right, but that's because the unions continue to fight for it and 90% of the crew can't wfh

they also tell us that only 60% of the crew is vaxxed

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I love the way it portrayed the Mossbacher's parenting relationship with Quinn. They constantly tell him that they're concerned about him but never actually back it up. Nicole never fixes his bed situation. Mark opens up to him, but mostly out of selfishness. They both bail on the scuba trip they kept pushing him to do. They don't help him with his phone situation and then get upset that he wasn't in touch. He finally does something outside with other people and they just poo poo on him for it.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

they did end up doing the scuba trip though?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I love the way it portrayed the Mossbacher's parenting relationship with Quinn. They constantly tell him that they're concerned about him but never actually back it up. Nicole never fixes his bed situation. Mark opens up to him, but mostly out of selfishness. They both bail on the scuba trip they kept pushing him to do. They don't help him with his phone situation and then get upset that he wasn't in touch. He finally does something outside with other people and they just poo poo on him for it.

wow who would ever think a goon would identify with quinn :thunk:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I identify most with Kai actually

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

i say swears online posted:

because it sucks lol

its underproduced and low-key nature gives it charm over the prevailing podcast style of this age

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I identify with not watching a show about rich white people based on a bad podcast

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i identify with the hot chick who does lovely non journalism but still wraps her identity on her work despite it not being defensible either aesthetically or morally or even being liked by the people whose respect shes trying to cultivate

it truly is the shitposting experience

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1427284121374629889

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
People who like the tv show 'friends' should be mocked more than people who watch harry potter.
At least potter people have limits on their bubble.

Friends is a revisionist history.
Apparently it's the Millennials number 1 show to the point that the friends logo font IS becoming the Millennials font.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

josh04 posted:

who's employed by who gets pretty vague on film/tv sets so it makes more sense to have everyone wear a badge, which i'm pretty sure they currently do already for covid testing - can't go on set if you haven't had your regular test.

the number of different unions involved seems like the biggest hurdle.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

People who like the tv show 'friends' should be mocked more than people who watch harry potter.
At least potter people have limits on their bubble.

Friends is a revisionist history.
Apparently it's the Millennials number 1 show to the point that the friends logo font IS becoming the Millennials font.

friends, while lowest common denominator predictable network comedy, is at least executed very well. the actors can play their character’s game very well and the writers know exactly how to move the pieces around the board. you could do worse for background noise while you cook or whatever. HP doesn’t even reach that low bar imo, especially the early movies (I’ve only seen number two or three the whole way through and none of the children know how to act yet)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

indigi posted:

friends, while lowest common denominator predictable network comedy, is at least executed very well. the actors can play their character’s game very well and the writers know exactly how to move the pieces around the board. you could do worse for background noise while you cook or whatever. HP doesn’t even reach that low bar imo, especially the early movies (I’ve only seen number two or three the whole way through and none of the children know how to act yet)

I haven't seen them in a zillion years so I may be way off base, but my impression was always that it's not really the child actors that make the first few HP movies iffy (they're not great but at that point the most prominent comparisons were 90's kids movies and Jake Lloyd's unfortunate experience in TPM), it's the editing/pacing. You'll notice that the films have plenty of very good actors in adult roles, and they don't do much to elevate the experience regardless of how they do individually. The Chris Columbus movies in particular feel like filmed versions of parts of the books presented in order (but with parts cut short/omitted), rather than cohesive films. So if you are (or were) a fan of the books and squint at them right + use knowledge from the books to fill in gaps its very possible to overlook their deficiencies, but if you don't have that background knowledge everything feels disjointed/weird.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

(idk where else to put this but) i feel like a few years ago this would have gotten way more faves and agreement, now it’s getting ratioed and made fun of………… something is changing

https://twitter.com/roslyntalusan/status/1427082605426577412?s=21

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

segregation but woke

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I'm sorry, are white broads not allowed to like dumplings and noodles?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

well it’s specifically a book about Asian cooking techniques which sucks cause Asian women don’t really get the same opportunities but on the other hand that lady studied it for 15 years including going to school in China so she seems pretty well qualified to write about the subject. also cooking is like the most syncretic art form on earth so it’s kinda weird to gatekeep

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
White people are begrudgingly allowed to visit ethnic restaurants, but cannot talk about it in public or attempt to cook these meals at home. They are restricted to boiled cabbage and potatoes.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Just change the title to Dumplings and Pasta

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Knight posted:

White people are begrudgingly allowed to visit ethnic restaurants, but cannot talk about it in public or attempt to cook these meals at home. They are restricted to boiled cabbage and potatoes.
Those are illegal too.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Free Guy was actually really well done and touched upon a lot of leftist themes.

One sequence in particular has a whole bunch of people going on strike because of their terrible working conditions. They are shown having an incredible time while their hapless overlords rage impotently.

Other themes include taking control of the means of production and actually envisioning a world and a way of life that does not include constant, repressive, glorified violence.

The very last exchange between two characters in particular was actually pretty incredible:

Security guard: What happened to the bank?
Bank teller: The bank doesn't exist anymore.
Security guard: Oh. So what do we do now?
Bank teller: Anything we want.
(Security guard smiles and drops his holster to the ground; both walk off into a paradise)

Seriously really impressed with this movie. Given how few kids are even aware of what unions are and what they do, I would HIGHLY recommend this flick.

Although the inclusion of the trope of a big grand gesture of romance suddenly making a woman love a guy was pretty cringey and bad.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Any time someone says there’s “leftist themes” in a big budget movie I instinctively roll my eyes. liberal themes aren’t leftist themes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

(idk where else to put this but) i feel like a few years ago this would have gotten way more faves and agreement, now it’s getting ratioed and made fun of………… something is changing

https://twitter.com/roslyntalusan/status/1427082605426577412?s=21

pippa replied and I can't stop reading these posts oh god

https://mobile.twitter.com/allisonkotzig/status/1427672386657210377

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

us media has awful art critics, no wonder why so much tv and film sucks rear end

https://twitter.com/e_alexjung/status/1427096065271074817?s=21

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

us media has awful art critics, no wonder why so much tv and film sucks rear end

im doing my part

Serf
May 5, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i've not watched the show but i've picked up some stuff through cultural osmosis and i love how even critics want to conflate wealth with whiteness. white supremacists founded their entire project on convincing poor white sharecroppers that they had more in common with their rich white landlord than the poor black sharecroppers and it stuff like this carries on in that tradition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

as if loving SATIRE — or a 6 episode HBO dramedy — could change anything my god what world are you fuckin livin in dude