Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Well, the restaurant I work at catching fire pushed me to apply for a program director position that I interviewed for and crushed. Signed the contract for the position today so now I can take a step back from the industry when the resto opens back up.

Holy poo poo it feels good to have a job I went to school for, with salary, and benefits again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Kitchen goons, do your restaurants season steaks before cooking? I don’t eat steak often but I feel like every steak I’ve had from a steakhouse, and even a bistro I went to recently, wasn’t seasoned at all. I can’t taste salt, pepper, anything. Is this common?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

FishBowlRobot posted:

Kitchen goons, do your restaurants season steaks before cooking? I don’t eat steak often but I feel like every steak I’ve had from a steakhouse, and even a bistro I went to recently, wasn’t seasoned at all. I can’t taste salt, pepper, anything. Is this common?

You have covid.

Real answer, depends on the cut, but generally it is always seasoned heavily before searing. Most of the time, the seasoning isn't to add or impart flavor, but to draw out moisture or liquid on the outer layers. The flavor is supposed to come from the mallard reaction that happens to the outer layer of a meat which the seasoning is supposed to help with. Most places go season - sear - cook to temp - rest. When it rests it releases alot of liquid which gets used to make the gravy or sauce. At the point of rest most of the slat is usually washed off, so a good cook should season it again after cutting and plating or use the gravy/sauce.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 7, 2021

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Maillard reaction. Mallard reaction is when you throw bread in a pond and the ducks go apeshit.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The Maillard reaction is when you put a steak on a pan approximately the temperature of the sun and you drop a pat of butter just after putting the steak down. The quantum foam merges with the foaming butter allowing for microscopic mallards to manifest on the surface of your steak, which as you know: Duck is delicious.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

:psyduck: damnit.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

FishBowlRobot posted:

Last couple places I've worked don't season the steak and just put compound butter over it at the end. You do get a much cleaner sear that way versus seasoning just before it goes on the broiler. Ideal would be to season them ahead of time enough that the salt dissolves into the meat and promotes a better sear but these are just standard individual vacpac steaks.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Alkydere posted:

So basically how poo poo works at Amazon?

Yes that's supposed to be a child's fidget's toy. The label with the barcode I scanned agrees it's a child's fidget toy despite obviously being a buttblug with a wrong/stray label on it. Therefore: little Billy is getting his very first buttplug! (I've never actually seen this with sex toys, but I have seen this with chemical products where we will ship someone weed killer in the place of exercise weights or canned tuna or something)

Basically, the same poo poo of "You expect me to get X poo poo done in Y time, when Y time isn't enough? Okay, fucks have been set to zero!"

Almost the same except I'm not even bothering to *read* the labels most of the time. I had a dude get pissy at me because I didn't know what was in all the generic brown sub 5-lb produce boxes I was bringing him. They all look the same I'm not opening the boxes to know what the gently caress I'm bringing in - just that it goes here.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

My favorite was always when they would stack heavy stuff on top of cases of eggs. After I refused the delivery the 4th or 5th time they finally learned how to not crush them.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Thumposaurus posted:

My favorite was always when they would stack heavy stuff on top of cases of eggs. After I refused the delivery the 4th or 5th time they finally learned how to not crush them.

At my last company everyone would bitch if that happened so eggs always go on top.

Here I was told eggs go on bottom and "every chef worth their salt knows that"

I don't know anymore. But on the pallets the eggs are always on the bottom of everything so nothing you can say to anyone will fix that at least.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Skwirl posted:

How does Alexa even work if it's not listening constantly?

I've literally worked on similar systems! There's a thing called a wake word detector running locally on the device constantly which is simple and dumb and ONLY knows how to recognise the word 'Alexa'. Once it hears that the device records until you've stopped talking and then uploads only the audio clip between the wake word and that point up to the cloud for analysis :science:

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

FishBowlRobot posted:

Just (lots of) salt and a bit of oil, the pepper will burn at the heat I want to cook a steak at so I would add it afterwards.

There are a million more layers of complexity after this (like if I was doing a steak for myself at home I would change things because of my pans etc).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

AdorableStar posted:

Almost the same except I'm not even bothering to *read* the labels most of the time. I had a dude get pissy at me because I didn't know what was in all the generic brown sub 5-lb produce boxes I was bringing him. They all look the same I'm not opening the boxes to know what the gently caress I'm bringing in - just that it goes here.

Oh no one reads anything at Amazon. It's an active struggle when training people to get them to read their screens or even look at the product when their stations make an angry beep instead of panicking and spending minutes to try to get me, who might be putting out 3 other fires at the time.

"Whut happen? Machine angry at me!"
"Well did you read the screen?"
"...barcode not recognized?"
"Correct, it's just a bad scan, try again."

feedmegin posted:

I've literally worked on similar systems! There's a thing called a wake word detector running locally on the device constantly which is simple and dumb and ONLY knows how to recognise the word 'Alexa'. Once it hears that the device records until you've stopped talking and then uploads only the audio clip between the wake word and that point up to the cloud for analysis :science:

Yup, having it online all the time is a waste of power and computing. There's a reason all voice commands to Alexa, Google, Siri, etc. all start with the product/service's name. It basically tells the product "Here's the start of a command." So they're not listening until you tell them to do so (or you play a commercial that tells them to listen). They do, however, report on literally every command you give them and their responses.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

See also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmINGWsyWX0

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

AdorableStar posted:

Here I was told eggs go on bottom and "every chef worth their salt knows that"

I don't know anymore. But on the pallets the eggs are always on the bottom of everything so nothing you can say to anyone will fix that at least.

This is loving insane

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

pile of brown posted:

This is loving insane

If things are stacked and transported properly, eggs on the bottom makes sense: they're very hard to break, especially in the 8x30 cases, if the only force on them is straight down from the top. Also, you sure as poo poo don't want a case of eggs sitting on top of your flat of tomatoes, for instance.

That said, "IF things are stacked and transported properly" is a very large IF.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

30 dozen egg boxes are real strong compared to 15 dozen but the amount of people that would rathet order 3x30dozen than 6x15 is small

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Aug 8, 2021

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I'm 32 and have worked in FBH since I was 16, excepting a four year period where I worked a manufacturing support position that gave me daily panic attacks, one (1) fake heart attack, and chronic heartburn. I hit my breaking point earlier this year. Making $30/hour average was great, but the company I work(ed) for decided that it is now the server's responsibility to somehow force any table paying via card to use a QR code that nobody actually wants to use along with other "we're all family but really gently caress you, it's all about profit" decisions. I'm now living off of savings, picking up occasional shifts, and trying to get my mental health to a point where living and dying aren't equally distasteful options.

Tomorrow I have a virtual admissions overview with Per Scholas and hopefully find out if I get accepted to a program that will get me free training, certification, and job placement to get my foot in the door in IT. I'm really hoping this works out, because as much as I'm good with some aspects of serving, I am not looking forward to doing 12 hour doubles back-to-back in my loving 50s.

Alkydere posted:

Oh no one reads anything at Amazon. It's an active struggle when training people to get them to read their screens or even look at the product when their stations make an angry beep instead of panicking and spending minutes to try to get me, who might be putting out 3 other fires at the time.

This was my life in manufacturing, except it was more of an intentional blame game. Literally any possible issue was the fault of my company's product, even when we could prove it wasn't.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Guys. Guys! GUYS!

I got a new job. Not in the industry, one that will actually cater to my artistic and organizational skills (it's an architecture salvage place). And it has crazy things like, I dunno, air-conditioning and lunch breaks. Wild, right?

On one hand, I want to give 2 weeks notice, because I am a responsible woman. On the other, I wanna flip a double deuce and say "later, poo poo lords, who just said we're not allowed to take uneaten line food home, it must be thrown out". Seriously, wtf? You're gonna pay people minimum wage and they can't take home the two cold pancakes that have been dying in a Cambro for hours?

I will, however, miss highlights such as a dude ODing in our bathroom, coming to when FOH finally broke in and found him passed out, and proceeding to run half naked thru the kitchen before bolting out the side door. Whereupon my grill guys chased and ultimately tackled him in the parking lot until the cops/EMS showed up.

Just another Saturday in the biscuit bidniz.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Guys. Guys! GUYS!

I got a new job. Not in the industry, one that will actually cater to my artistic and organizational skills (it's an architecture salvage place). And it has crazy things like, I dunno, air-conditioning and lunch breaks. Wild, right?

On one hand, I want to give 2 weeks notice, because I am a responsible woman. On the other, I wanna flip a double deuce and say "later, poo poo lords, who just said we're not allowed to take uneaten line food home, it must be thrown out". Seriously, wtf? You're gonna pay people minimum wage and they can't take home the two cold pancakes that have been dying in a Cambro for hours?

I will, however, miss highlights such as a dude ODing in our bathroom, coming to when FOH finally broke in and found him passed out, and proceeding to run half naked thru the kitchen before bolting out the side door. Whereupon my grill guys chased and ultimately tackled him in the parking lot until the cops/EMS showed up.

Congratulations. A thousand times over, that's fantastic.

Also you don't owe them poo poo. If you need the money over those two weeks (assuming you can't start your new gig earlier), then that's your call, but otherwise gently caress 'em. Very much, gently caress them. If you'd be better served taking two weeks to organize your life some, clear your head, and start the new job fresh, then do that.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah gently caress em, just leave lol. Once you're out you will never want to go back. Congrats

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Congrats, fool. gently caress that place and their two-week notice, eat a pancake out of spite on your way out.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Guys. Guys! GUYS!

Hell yeah! Congrats on the new gig JD!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Guys. Guys! GUYS!

1. Do you need their reference and expect a good one if you give two weeks?

2. Will suddenly leaving cause problems for any co-workers you care about?

If the answer to both of these is "no" the choice is clear.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Republicans posted:

2. Will suddenly leaving cause problems for any co-workers you care about?

That's the toughest part for me. Yet their struggle is caused by the bosses and Capital, not OP. It's hard af.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
They'll understand.

Just bail. You don't owe the company poo poo

edit: this applies to all industries

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, I feel no obligation to the store, but I hate to leave my crew in a lurch. I'm thinking of splitting the difference and carrying out the week, since the schedule's made. After that, they're on their own. No one there's gonna fault me for dipping out; yesterday, our KM* was being such a c*** (and I don't use that word lightly) that four of us OGs were talking about just walking out and letting her handle the resulting mess.

Today's my day off, so I slept in til 7:00 am. I woke up, checked the time, and thought "holy poo poo, I'll get to do this every day".

*Reminder that this is the insane lesbian Trump supporter who mocked me for getting teary-eyed when Tony Bordain committed suicide, because he was a "coward" who "took the easy way out". Yeah, gently caress her, but my crew are good peeps.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
You're better than I am, if my boss was like that I'd have to restrain myself from yeeting an aerosol can into the deep fryer and kneecapping her next to it. Might be the hangover talking, or the 15+ yrs in the industry, or my burning hatred of those who perpetuate the abusive misery of this shitass industry upon us.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
You have to gage if the pain you cause to your linemates would be greater than the pleasure you'd get for loving the KM over

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
This guy I used to work with told me when he quit working in the kitchen due to his manager just constantly berating him he threw a metal bowl full of flour back over his head. It smashed into the fluorescent lights which exploded, scattering flour and glass shards over the entire kitchen.

So you could maybe do something like that

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You have to gage if the pain you cause to your linemates would be greater than the pleasure you'd get for loving the KM over

The more I think about it, the more it's coming down to what you just said.

I confided in my current manager, and a former manager (who actually stepped down months ago because she couldn't take the stress of 3am text messages from the KM about stupid bullshit) that I was shopping around for a new job, asking if could I use them as references. They both pretty much said "yes, gonna suck to see you go, but I understand --- just use my cell number, not the store number". So references aren't an issue.

Also, my current manager said "I'm telling you this not as your manager, but as a friend: if the new place asks when you can start, tell them you want to give the 2 week notice, but... KM has a history of just firing people when they put notice in. [NB: I have seen this myself, with 3 people just this summer alone] I don't wanna see you get shafted out of 2 weeks pay because she's got her panties in a twist that day and fires you before you start a new job."

So odds are I might get "fired" right after handing in a written 2 week notice, anyways. And y'know what? I don't care. I'll sell some cool poo poo on SA-Mart to make up the difference. I've got a fresh batch of my habanero hot sauce ready to roll out, I make nifty art, I have a ridonkulous amount of comic books I want to sell. (PM me if any of these things interest you.)

Thanks, Industry Thread, for helping me clear my head about this. I'm ready to go, MY PLANET NEEDS ME

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just tell the new job that you put your 2 weeks notice in, and then work until you decide to quit lol and and then start the new job

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Because yeah you will absolutely get fired for giving notice. Your kitchen buddies are hosed regardless so peace out

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

Vorenus posted:

I'm 32 and have worked in FBH since I was 16, excepting a four year period where I worked a manufacturing support position that gave me daily panic attacks, one (1) fake heart attack, and chronic heartburn. I hit my breaking point earlier this year. Making $30/hour average was great, but the company I work(ed) for decided that it is now the server's responsibility to somehow force any table paying via card to use a QR code that nobody actually wants to use along with other "we're all family but really gently caress you, it's all about profit" decisions. I'm now living off of savings, picking up occasional shifts, and trying to get my mental health to a point where living and dying aren't equally distasteful options.

Tomorrow I have a virtual admissions overview with Per Scholas and hopefully find out if I get accepted to a program that will get me free training, certification, and job placement to get my foot in the door in IT. I'm really hoping this works out, because as much as I'm good with some aspects of serving, I am not looking forward to doing 12 hour doubles back-to-back in my loving 50s.

This was my life in manufacturing, except it was more of an intentional blame game. Literally any possible issue was the fault of my company's product, even when we could prove it wasn't.

I'm in a similar situation, good paying bar gig with benefits but overworked/understaffed and looking for an exit. Checked out per scholas, looks like a great deal but I don't think they offer anything in my city (Houston). Hope it works out for you though

thetan_guy42 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 16, 2021

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Schneider Inside Her posted:

They'll understand.

Just bail. You don't owe the company poo poo

edit: this applies to all industries

When I gave Sysco my two weeks almost all of management stopped talking to me lmbo

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

thetan_guy42 posted:

I'm in a similar situation, good paying bar gig with benefits but overworked/understaffed and looking for an exit. Checked out per scholas, looks like a great deal but I don't think they offer anything in my city (Houston). Hope it works out for you though
Thanks! Of the four programs they offer here, two are fully online, so you might still want to check it out.

AdorableStar posted:

When I gave Sysco my two weeks almost all of management stopped talking to me lmbo

I had the same thing when I left a "steakhouse" last year. Even better, on my last night one of them tried to guilt trip me for refusing to pick up another server's mess while she gabbed on her phone. He looked like he was going to explode when I told him that management expecting me to pick up after lazy coworkers* was the main reason I had offered notice in the first place.

* I have to credit my current job on at least this, no one gets away with dicking off all night while other people earn their tips for them.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Went to new place today to do all the paperwork and have them photocopy my license/SS card/ voided check (holy poo poo, direct deposit! Imagine that!). Only thing left is I gotta do a mouth swab drug test... whenever it's convenient. So no jazz cabbage for a couple days, "big whoop-dee-doo" as my gramma used to say. I'm in.

My intention is to power thru this week so I don't gently caress over my "family", but yet... yeah if KM pisses me off, I'm walking. With pride and pleasure. And I'll re-use the line I said a couple days ago, right after KM went out the door to go harass our sister store, after chewing us out for something inconsequential:

"HEY! Can somebody give me a hand here?!"
[Kitchen looks up, startled, bc I never ask for help]
"I only got two fingers to flip KM off, I could use some extra hands."
[Kitchen enjoys some hearty laughter, yells "HEARD FINGERS" and we all took a moment to wag those middle fingers. I will miss that poo poo, no lie.]

Mass Wisteria
Dec 10, 2013

And I'll re-use the line I said a couple days ago, right after KM went out the door to go harass our sister store, after chewing us out for something inconsequential:

"HEY! Can somebody give me a hand here?!"
[Kitchen looks up, startled, bc I never ask for help]
"I only got two fingers to flip KM off, I could use some extra hands."
[Kitchen enjoys some hearty laughter, yells "HEARD FINGERS" and we all took a moment to wag those middle fingers. I will miss that poo poo, no lie.]
Sorry, piping in as a lowly lurker, that is awesome, and good luck with your new job, you deserve it!

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Apparently at my company they're attempting to cut business/deliveries with smaller mom & pop accounts just to focus on big chains or big accounts.

I don't know what's going on but this doesn't sound good. I heard an old driver the other day say that someone he delivered to for the past decade was told by her sales rep with 0-day notice that they're cutting off future orders from the company. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

AdorableStar posted:

Apparently at my company they're attempting to cut business/deliveries with smaller mom & pop accounts just to focus on big chains or big accounts.

I don't know what's going on but this doesn't sound good. I heard an old driver the other day say that someone he delivered to for the past decade was told by her sales rep with 0-day notice that they're cutting off future orders from the company. :shrug:

Driver shortage?