Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

scraped through map 10 to finish episode 1 of ancient aliens...finally a BFG. map 11 immediately looks sick as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm up to map 13 in AA and I started several other wads including Back to Saturn X episode 1 and the Japanese Community Project. I'm addicted to doom

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
those are both good. btxs is mostly a bit easier than aa until the end. some of the levels are really long tho. jpcp isn't too hard either and theres some very cool maps altho it seems like a lot of the best mappers for that one never made any more doom maps ;-(

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Now I want to replay the bulrsbabbaba14 guy's space station maps

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Squeezy Farm posted:

Now I want to replay the bulrsbabbaba14 guy's space station maps

those are really good. and the lady who draws the caco fan art had some nice ones. the venice maps. hazmat hazama. whoa! good stuff!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
playing ancient aliens and trinary temple blows my ballsack

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm up to the secret level, map 15 was madness

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I got to 25 and had to stop cause it was too much doom in one day.

Map24 culture shock is one of the coolest things ive seen done on doom.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
is there a better place to talk about ultrakill? i never played quake or unreal and only a little doom so it's a fresh experience and kind of kick rear end.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
ultrakill's pretty fun i beat all the ea stuff on normal difficulty and enjoyed it. it doesn't play like any old classic fps games really imo. seems more like it takes cues from serious sam and doom 2016 with the arenas + the dmc esq scoring with combo chains and constant weapon switching and stuff. the weapons feel good. the focus on arial combat in some of the arenas gets a bit obnoxious but i appreciate that you instantly respawn.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
i guess technically serious sam is a classic fps beccause the first one came out in fuckin 2000 or w/e

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i'm wrapping up normal this weekend, and i'll start slowly working through the levels on hard and seeing if i feel like getting P ranks. really really like the coinshot, i've never played anything where you want to shoot anything other than heads so it's like woah and my first impression of the amount of aerial moment is mixed but i kind of think if i stop being a noob i'll get real into it.

now that load times don't exist, i'm really liking games where you die fast respawn fast. i'm playing cruelty squad too and it's got that going for it as well.

and it's hard to describe b/c serious sam, q3, UT2k4 are old people games now but ultrakill draws on those and has modern sensibilities, all of new bloods games look like that tho which is cool. glad i only needed to get into my thirties for games besides platformers to be considered retro.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
finished ancient aliens pistol start uv. very naice. trinary temple is one of the worst pieces of poo poo ive ever played and it runs like rear end.

been thinking of my options:

eviternity
saturn x
sunlust
valiant
void looks cool too

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I practiced the final fight of ancient aliens map 16 and I had like a 70% success rate, ready for the no save probably... At least the fire and ice worlds aren't that difficult

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

ArfJason posted:

finished ancient aliens pistol start uv. very naice. trinary temple is one of the worst pieces of poo poo ive ever played and it runs like rear end.

been thinking of my options:

eviternity
saturn x
sunlust
valiant
void looks cool too

Valient or eviternity imo. I don't really like btsx outside of the music

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Evil Eagle posted:

I practiced the final fight of ancient aliens map 16 and I had like a 70% success rate, ready for the no save probably... At least the fire and ice worlds aren't that difficult

I did it...god that map is sick

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Squeezy Farm posted:

Valient or eviternity imo. I don't really like btsx outside of the music
the textures in btsx are pretty underrated imho, it's all entirely new stuff made just for it and it all fits like a glove

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

map 18 of AA looks so cool...can't wait to make it to episode 3 tomorrow probably. well maybe

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The Kins posted:

the textures in btsx are pretty underrated imho, it's all entirely new stuff made just for it and it all fits like a glove
thats true but i feel like everything being brown metal and vents and poo poo makes it really hard to navigate some of the bigger maps, a lot of rooms look the same

i would 100% recommend sunlust, it’s a total trial by fire but it totally changed how i play doom

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Made it to AA map 20 in my small amount of gaming tonight. I'm pretty sure map 18 has icon of sin style enemy spawners so I just rushed through it as fast as I could. Map 19 really put me to the test though, I've been neglecting my melee skills entirely. Learned a ton in that map.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It's definitely a byproduct of this being my first megawad but it's badass how every map in this feels impossible (pistol start, no save) at first until you slowly learn the tricks and a good route. made it to map 22 tonight. I'm definitely gonna be chasing this kind of feeling after finishing AA

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Based on everything I know about your gaming style after posting and gaming with you for half a decade at this point, you're now going to be playing Doom wads until the day you die.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

Based on everything I know about your gaming style after posting and gaming with you for half a decade at this point, you're now going to be playing Doom wads until the day you die.

welcome to the club ee

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

you just reminded me that he played through the side mode in kirby star allies with all 100 characters. i think like two of them have a slightly different level in one part.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

b_d posted:

you just reminded me that he played through the side mode in kirby star allies with all 100 characters. i think like two of them have a slightly different level in one part.

Lmfao

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

he's a powerful gamer and I respect and fear his approach

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

A few years back when I was unemployed and purposefully trying to play and beat as many games as possible EE still clocked in like 10 more than me in a year and also of the games we both played in the same year he consistently did higher difficulties and challenge runs. Dude's a monster.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

It's definitely a byproduct of this being my first megawad but it's badass how every map in this feels impossible (pistol start, no save) at first until you slowly learn the tricks and a good route. made it to map 22 tonight. I'm definitely gonna be chasing this kind of feeling after finishing AA
yep, sounds like Sunlust would be perfect for you!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Cat Machine posted:

yep, sounds like Sunlust would be perfect for you!

I'm tempted but I feel like going right into that on UV would be crazy lol. I think I'm gonna play both Eviternity and Valiant next

b_d posted:

I don't think I did that but I definitely did the boss rush with everyone then they released a harder one and I burned out doing that one after like 1/4th of the characters

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

he's a powerful gamer and I respect and fear his approach

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
hes a little twerp and i could kick his rear end in csgo. period, end of sentence.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
Hard mode on Kirby means they added the baby sound from the alliyah song so you know you're playong for real

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Evil Eagle posted:

I don't think I did that but I definitely did the boss rush with everyone then they released a harder one and I burned out doing that one after like 1/4th of the characters

youre right, my apologies.

Evil Eagle posted:

19.1) Kirby Star Allies - The Ultimate Choice Solo Soul Melter with all characters

Full Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCEr_hgP8HnnLHYTl4HK0uBipagVLhm9U

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

o_O

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

There's a lot of bosses. Anyway playing some doom all night

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
I beat hell ground and it was ok. I skipped the puzzle map and used saves for the last one.

Btw if you're a source port freakazoid, prboom+ finally has a major version release with all the cool stuff that's been dev build only for like a year since the chocolate doom guy started working in it. Big things are the compact stats HUD from dsdadoom, colored blood, a pistolstart launch option, and better mouse input

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I've been using a version of prboom+ with most of those I think but I haven't seen this pistol start option. Just been using idclev for it

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Protipin prboom the Home key is default bound to restart map and pgdown is nextmap

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Squeezy Farm posted:

Protipin prboom the Home key is default bound to restart map and pgdown is nextmap

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Squeezy Farm posted:

Dear god