Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Booyah- posted:

ive tried airbrushing liquitex white ink over black before but it tends to pool a tiny bit in crevices. maybe I should be at a higher psi so that it dries a little faster

Yeah, generally you don’t want pooling with an airbrush (or brush really), especially not an ink because they’re typically quite fragile. If you get thicker/pooling areas, there is a chance of them cracking. Usually it’s better to do thin layers, so if it’s not getting enough color/coverage, it’s better to spray somewhere else or another monitor for a moment and give it another pass. Increasing psi might also help, but humidity and temperature also play a factor. For white over black zenithal highlighting, I usually give it a single pass, where it gets kinda white-grey, move to another part of the mini or another mini if I’m batch painting, and then back to give it another pass. It’s also an easy way to do a gradient zenithal. Upper half of the mini gets one quick pass of white ink, then another spray straight from the top (or wherever your imaginary light source is coming from).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Big ol' demon progress report:

Now 200% more shiny.

ToDo:
- Touch up the metallics
- Second coat of gloss varnish
- Make significantly less shiny with an all-over wash
- Eye
- Teeth and horns
- Rust?
- Lighting effects

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Most contrast paints this is fine. Apothecary White is the big exception, if you can see any sort of pigment still at the bottom of the pot you need to shake it more or it'll be inconsistent. I transferred mine to a dropper bottle and added two stainless steel agitator beads and it still takes 1-2 minutes on the vortex mixer to mix up some days.

I just got my first pot of Vallejo metal air (aluminum) and after using it for a grand total of 3 minutes Stormhost Silver now looks and feels like the worst second third worst (I still own pots of Ceramite White and Auric Armor Gold) paint in my collection. It's like night and day. I need to get a full set of these.

Having a vortex mixer makes a huge difference and they are cheap if you search Amazon/AliExpress for a Nail Paint mixer or a Tattoo Ink mixer.

Vallejo metal color is loving amazing, the best non enamel metal I've used.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

PoptartsNinja posted:

Big ol' demon progress report:

Now 200% more shiny.

ToDo:
- Touch up the metallics
- Second coat of gloss varnish
- Make significantly less shiny with an all-over wash
- Eye
- Teeth and horns
- Rust?
- Lighting effects

Definitely a candidate for some oil washes if you can dig up the bulbasaur tutorial

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Man, I need to update those ancient tutorials

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Man, I need to update those ancient tutorials

Can you link/repost the oil wash one?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
They're in the OP if you search for 'oil'

Also on my blog:
http://www.powerfisted.com

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

They're in the OP if you search for 'oil'

Also on my blog:
http://www.powerfisted.com

Thanks!

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Finished the first of some Chaos Sisters I'm working on:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Crosspost from the Malifaux thread:

Electric Hobo posted:

I painted my Alt Firestarter for Wyrds painting contest. I went too light on the OSL, so the contrast is weird, but at least the keyword is done again, for now.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Electric Hobo posted:

Crosspost from the Malifaux thread:

i love this! great work

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I finished the last space marine in the box! I gave it my first shot at weathering/scratches and used y'alls advice about tiny scribble-lines to make some sharper text lines on the purity seal, which makes a surprising difference.

My wife likes the Hawk Lords. :3:

This tactical squad was a lot of fun to paint and experiment with, and now I get to pick out something to work on next. Maybe some Eldar or Orks... anyway, thanks for the help and inspiration!

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

This is awesome!

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 15, 2021

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
You know that feeling when you start a unique concept army like chaos sisters then this loving guy starts posting models that are so much better than yours and you want to tell them that you're fine but you're not fine

Anyway congrats on the jaw dropping Vahl. It's perfect. You bastard.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Harvey Mantaco posted:

You know that feeling when you start a unique concept army like chaos sisters then this loving guy starts posting models that are so much better than yours and you want to tell them that you're fine but you're not fine

Anyway congrats on the jaw dropping Vahl. It's perfect. You bastard.

Sorry about that! You’re overly kind though, I’m pleased with the conversion but the paint was my first time trying out enamel washes and mineral spirits for the grimdark look so I’m still not 100% happy with it. You should definitely still do your own!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Sorry about that! You’re overly kind though, I’m pleased with the conversion but the paint was my first time trying out enamel washes and mineral spirits for the grimdark look so I’m still not 100% happy with it. You should definitely still do your own!

I am! They're in a moving box right now but I'll keep posting them here (I posted a celestine daemon queen earlier in the thread).
If course I'm just joking though, love your execution!

Not sure if I posted this before. Exorcist. I'm doing more of a cultist emulating sisters but evil kind of vibe.
https://twitter.com/Squigledorf/status/1427093297495957505?s=19

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 16, 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

w00tmonger posted:

Definitely a candidate for some oil washes if you can dig up the bulbasaur tutorial

Sadly, I don't own any oil washes. I know they're good, I just don't have any of the necessaries. I think I did pretty ok anyway!

Demon progress report: Now significantly less shiny.

ToDo:
- Eye
- Ruin everything by trying to do an airbrushed lighting effect for the first time.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 16, 2021

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Their noses look a bit janky because of the less than perfect highlight but it gives them a bit of character. Like they've been in a fight or two. No eyeballs but the eye brows are doing some good work.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

MasterBuilder posted:

Their noses look a bit janky because of the less than perfect highlight but it gives them a bit of character. Like they've been in a fight or two. No eyeballs but the eye brows are doing some good work.

I love these, their faces have so much character. May I ask what figures these are?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

MasterBuilder posted:

The Night's Watch look good and they'll look great on a table.

Didn't realise their hilts were so long holy poo poo.

Parkingtigers posted:

I love these, their faces have so much character. May I ask what figures these are?

Night's Watch from the CMON ASOIF game. Is it possible to have a more awkward acronym soup?

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 16, 2021

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

MasterBuilder posted:

They look great! I instantly recognized they were from Night Watch.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Thanks all. A sworn brothers box comes with 13 models and the sculpts quite good with detail but the 3 above are repeated 4 times plus a commander which isn't amazing for a squad of guys that look nearly identical already. They are also the softer plastic so watch out for bendy swords.

I was following the Duncan Rhodes method but used non GW paints if I needed to buy any any. Cue a fun hour walking between paint displays comparing paints in store like a madman to see which paints were similar. (I know there are conversion charts but in person some of those are way off). I found AP necromancer cloak to be a much brighter dark blue than Duncan so I added black to deepen it. I may have gone too far because the evan with the different highlight colors (blue vs grey) the difference between the necromancer cloak and vallejo black is a little too subtle. For the dark brown black I used vallejo smoke 70.939 which I darkened slightly with black but I think with enough coats could have gone darker.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wow, that SOIF game looks pretty cool and the minis look really loving dope.

MasterBuilder posted:

Fantastic job!

This is also very cool.

Really good work posted on this page.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I have "I'm going to gently caress up" paralysis. I'm about to do the weathering on Kragnos, to get that oxidized bronze look and I'm super afraid to gently caress up. If I varnish him first, I can clean any gently caress up with IPA right? Do I need to put a very heavy layer of varnish to be sure I don't over-gently caress it when cleaning any fuckup?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Practice on something else! That's what I do.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya, use another mini you have around that you don't care about and test on it. That's what I plan to do with some pigment powder I got from AK that I've never used before I use it on a model I care about.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
That's why I started and played around the nights watch instead of finishing my Kyria model. If one got a bit messed up he's one in a squad and not a center piece.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Oil over acrylic is great for gently caress-up paralysis as you can wash it all off with white spirits. And oil rules.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

XPost from the Oath thread, 15mm and some time off work meant I could get this cranked out in just over a week. Big dwarf force for Hordes of the Things:

Zark the Damned posted:

Oath Complete!

A quick one for me this month, turns out 15mm figures are quick to paint up (and having a week off work helped!)

The mainstay of the clan, 8 units of warriors (Blades)

A pair of great cannon to ward off foes from afar (Artillery)

The leaders of the clan (Heroes, Clerics)

Putting the heavy in heavy cavalry (seriously these minis are dense as hell) the Ursa Guard are hard hitting shock troops (Knights)

In times of great need the clan will goad the Hill Wyvern into battle (Dragon)

In times of greater need their prayers may be answered by the great ancestor deity himself! (God) - wields the ever burning forge hammer which glows with diving heat which can melt even the sturdiest metals - claiming Feeling the Heat!

Not part of the oath but I whipped up this quick stronghold from some dense foam and some more of the RNEstudio Dwarfs (also magnetised so can be changed later)

Everything together on their magnetic transport tray.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Furism posted:

I have "I'm going to gently caress up" paralysis. I'm about to do the weathering on Kragnos, to get that oxidized bronze look and I'm super afraid to gently caress up. If I varnish him first, I can clean any gently caress up with IPA right? Do I need to put a very heavy layer of varnish to be sure I don't over-gently caress it when cleaning any fuckup?

The layer doesn't have to be heavy. Just a thin coat is fine... if your varnish is acrylic based

e: if its enamel based then just wait for it to cure first, a thin coat is also fine

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 16, 2021

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

moths posted:

Practice on something else! That's what I do.

Yes I did that I don't like the result at all. I learned a few things of course but I'd like to get one right before going on the Big Guy. I guess I'll just do another mini.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Hot drat, I didn't know they existed before that Nights Watch post, but those Song of Ice and Fire minis have me aflutter.

I'm afraid to do so many skin tone faces though. Maybe I should buy a unit of Imperial Guard to practice on.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Mini thread, I have a request: Please link me your favorite beefy female models. Anything from major manufacturer to Etsy. Cheesecake is fine as long as they're also ripped.

My friend and I are deep in the hobby and trying to pull her wife here with us. But she's disappointed by the lack of beef women. Help us fix this.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Mine were just cadian fleshtone equivalent*, reikland shade, cadian highlight, Kislev fine highlight with a bit of carenburg crimson on the nose.

The GW way seems to go bugman glow base which I think gives a very uncanny pink hue whereas a second reikland shade is more pleasant to my eyes.

*I think VMC beige rose looks closer to cadian flesh tone than bestigor.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Found a VMC set at the hobby store today so I decided to paint a quick test model to see how the new ones look. Gunmetal is definitely a new favorite of mine, nice and kinda blue. Duraluminum is also really sick and less bright than straight chrome, so i'm liking it a lot. But mostly I got this because I don't have a copper color. And yes, the copper is really good. For this one I did copper then mixed s75 elven gold into the copper then did just elven gold. Comes out a little too subtle so I'm going to try something more drastic. I think next time I'm going to either do copper then a sepia wash, or p3 deathless metal then copper over it.

While I had a backdrop up, I took some pictures of the reaper models I've been painting for the monthly painting contests at my LGS. For these I wanted to go bright and fun rather than the usual grimdark space marines. Here's august, and then May/July/August

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I've been using a homemade wet palette since getting into painting a couple of months ago, but I'm finding it still dries out over a couple of days and so was thinking of upgrading to a proper wet palette with a fitting lid, and was wondering if there were any recommendations or just to go for a cheap one off ebay/amazon (there's one that's selling with 40 papers, 2 sponges, and the palette for $20).

Alternatively, is there a better way to keep my take-away container wet palette from drying out? As I have a young family, I only get 1-2hrs a few times a week to paint hence I need the paint to last for some time on the palette to avoid wastage.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Spanish Manlove posted:

Found a VMC set at the hobby store today so I decided to paint a quick test model to see how the new ones look. Gunmetal is definitely a new favorite of mine, nice and kinda blue. Duraluminum is also really sick and less bright than straight chrome, so i'm liking it a lot. But mostly I got this because I don't have a copper color. And yes, the copper is really good. For this one I did copper then mixed s75 elven gold into the copper then did just elven gold. Comes out a little too subtle so I'm going to try something more drastic. I think next time I'm going to either do copper then a sepia wash, or p3 deathless metal then copper over it.

While I had a backdrop up, I took some pictures of the reaper models I've been painting for the monthly painting contests at my LGS. For these I wanted to go bright and fun rather than the usual grimdark space marines. Here's august, and then May/July/August

Oh man that onion knight looks great, and I like the glowing eyes on August. I need to figure that out.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PotatoManJack posted:

Alternatively, is there a better way to keep my take-away container wet palette from drying out? As I have a young family, I only get 1-2hrs a few times a week to paint hence I need the paint to last for some time on the palette to avoid wastage.

Are you keeping it in the fridge?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

PotatoManJack posted:

I've been using a homemade wet palette since getting into painting a couple of months ago, but I'm finding it still dries out over a couple of days and so was thinking of upgrading to a proper wet palette with a fitting lid, and was wondering if there were any recommendations or just to go for a cheap one off ebay/amazon (there's one that's selling with 40 papers, 2 sponges, and the palette for $20).

Wet palettes aren't really meant for holding paint for days at a time. The top part will start drying out or if there's too much water your paint will break overnight. I find it's really good for keeping paint usable for an entire day but after that stuff gets pretty sketchy.

I would say just use one drop of paint on your palette of the colours you're using for the session to minimize paint wastage tbh. If it's usable the next day then great but just consider it a write off otherwise.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Are you keeping it in the fridge?

I hadn't been - but will try this and see if it helps

Eej posted:

Wet palettes aren't really meant for holding paint for days at a time. The top part will start drying out or if there's too much water your paint will break overnight. I find it's really good for keeping paint usable for an entire day but after that stuff gets pretty sketchy.

I would say just use one drop of paint on your palette of the colours you're using for the session to minimize paint wastage tbh. If it's usable the next day then great but just consider it a write off otherwise.

Fair enough. I try and just take what i need from the pots to avoid wastage (citadel paints so far, but I've just received a set of Vallejo!). I can sometimes save the paint with water mixing, but not always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Squiggle posted:

Oh man that onion knight looks great, and I like the glowing eyes on August. I need to figure that out.

Thanks, it's just pure vallejo metal colors but I tried to apply them with some volumetric highlights to look a little more realistic. This is what it looks like with the Exhaust Manifold paint which was the base metal color over it:

Whoops I messed up the months. It should be May/June/July. But the glowing eyes on July are the exact same colors used on the pants from June and a bit of the gradient of the armor on May. Just did these with a layering technique of a dark green, green, green mixed with light blue. The specific colors I used were vallejo forest skin, emerald, then emerald mixed with sky blue. Imagine I painted a bullseye with that color combo and voila lazy eye method where they look glowing. I picked those specific paints just because i just like them and just repeated a method I liked.

I've also been having too much fun mixing in Ice Yellow or Sky Blue to make highlight colors and only using pure white to try to sell the NMM effect.