Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Skwirl posted:

I'm sure it was mandated, I'm just not sure it has anything to do with the movie/tv stuff. The MCU will absolutely contain the X-Men at some point and there's no way it's gonna look like the Krakoa stuff.

Which is fair. Krakoa is ... strange. Very strange. Jean, Logan and Scott's moonbase swinger-pad is a tough sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nilbop posted:

Which is fair. Krakoa is ... strange. Very strange. Jean, Logan and Scott's moonbase swinger-pad is a tough sell.

I would loving watch the poo poo out of a sitcom set there. Gender swapped threes company, except no one is pretending about the gay stuff either.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't think this is an MCU mandate because I can't think of a time "tone down a character's powers and origin" has ever been an MCU mandate. It's a weird though.t

I think it's just a misguided attempt at "grounding" the character to broaden her appeal that has misfired and made the pre-existing fans upset.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm gonna be honest, it's kinda weird she isn't in Aaron's Avengers. Be a good contrast with Robbie Reyes not understanding his powers and her being like "no big deal, I kick through galaxies"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Defenders was really entertaining. Absolutely gorgeous art, and I was happy to see the Kirby homage where Adam IV is escaping through all the guards.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, that *really* felt like "oh hey Rainbow, that issue you just wrote was the last one you can add two extra pages and we'll have some of the older artists draw them!" Nothing was really resolved and it was just cliffhanger after cliffhanger.

I could've sworn there were solicits for later issues, even.

TwoPair posted:

Haven't read it yet but I'm assuming you're talking about her portal-generating power? Ugh, I know it's cliche and kind of paranoid to blame things on movie synergy but that really does feel like "gosh making all those CGI star shaped portals would cost money, wouldn't it be great if we didn't need to do that?"

Mainly, they also say she can't fly for long periods and isn't as tough/strong. Basically they made her powers be the same as Jessica Jones instead of like, Wonder Woman level.

I kinda wish the whole mini wasn't so competently written/drawn. It's basically a bad direction for the character done about as well as it could be. At least if it was a total mess it'd be funny.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

Defenders was really entertaining. Absolutely gorgeous art, and I was happy to see the Kirby homage where Adam IV is escaping through all the guards.

Rodriguez is so. loving. Good. I've been blown away by his work in everything since I first saw him on Spider-Woman a few years ago.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That America comic was kinda sad, because the writing was really uninspiring, but I absolutely loved the artstyle and the details put into it. Maybe this artis, Carlos Gomez, will have some better writing to work with at some point.
Apparently, he also did Amazing Mary Jane. That series was great, but I don't really remember it for the art.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zdarsky's 'What If' miniseries turned out great. As expected. It did not end with the expected classic 'What If' callback of Spider-Man dying but did actually end with the classic 'What If' callback of Spider-Man joining the Fantastic Four.

Also I love that once again Zdarsky wrote J. Jonah Jameson just as did in the 616 books as hating Spider-Man right until he knew it was Peter under the mask and then immediately his opinion flipped. Shows how much Jonah really does value Peter.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I read two more Marvel Comics

Trials of Ultraman #5
OK, I do need to give this comic some credit up front. Ten issues in and we finally got a decent multi-page giant monster battle. The thing you would expect from a comic called Ultraman has finally been delivered. And they are expanding on the whole Kaiju idea. They're still purely generated by people being bad, which is terrible, but now there's one with motivation. In the comic, Zumbolar was created by the evil act of ancient Icelanders cutting down all the trees on Iceland. And it attacks because there's a mechanical kaiu, and the axes that felled the trees were also machines, so Zumbolar hates machines, and Ultraman is able to pacify Zumbolar by destroying the mechanical kaiju. I mean, that's not amazing writing, but it's a lot better than all the kaiju just being generic monsters that jump out, yell, and then get destroyed by a laser beam. So this issue was a definite improvement!
But it's still not great. Theres so much time dedicated to the main conflict of the series, which is that the general public is too stupid/ignorant/pigheaded to just accept that the USP are the good guys. That's not a great conflict to begin with, but especially considering that the USP are the ones responsible for the giant monster problem in the first place. They should be thankful that people think they're lying about the kaiju, if people believed them they would demand that literally any organization other than the USP deal with this situation the USP created. But what makes it really bad is that it ties into the whole thing where Ultraman is looking for evidence that humans are worth fighting for. Which i literally the worst thing you could do with the character of Ultraman.
But at the end, we get a twist! Dan Moroboshi is Ultraseven! oh my god who could've seen that coming And he steals Shin's Ultra energy for some reason. Tune in next year for The Mystery of Ultraseven!

I really feel like somebody needs to step in here. Does Marvel not have editors? Is nobody at Tsuburaya paying attention? Someone with authority needs to tell the writer to do better.

But I also read Avengers: Tech-On #1
This was great! I love Red Skull's Sentai villain design, it's fantastic. And depowering all the Avengers is a great excuse to give them all Iron Man suits. Especially since the first issue focuses on their new weaknesses, that Captain America is a scrawny weakling again, Wolverine is being killed by his bones, and all the rest are just regular humans going up against an evil wizard. The Iron Man suits even the odds somewhat, but underneath the suits they're still just humans. That's a a big part of why Mecha series work and are better than superhero series. I love the Infinity Shards idea, that's some Inu Yasha poo poo. I can't wait to see how they introduce the accessory packs.
I'm just bummed that it's a miniseries. Judging by Issue 1, I'd read 100 issues of Avengers Tech-On. And if it went on that long, they could make it so different Infinity Shards have different powers so the Avengers could equip them to do form changes like Kamen Rider!

I mean seriously, how great is this?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I have a month of Marvel Unlimited. The only Marvel comics I've ever read are the two spider-verse series, which I quite enjoyed. Please throw recommendations at me!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I got a year of Unlimited last Christmas, here's highlights of what I've been reading. Some of these are ongoing so won't be complete reads in your month:

Immortal Hulk (ongoing) - probably the best Marvel comic out there right now. I stumbled across panels of this on twitter which got me to do a trial week and what I read in that time got me to buy a year. I was never a Hulk fan before and this got me into the character enough to read 60s issues of Tales to Astonish. It's heavy on body horror and Lynchian unease which is right up my street

Hawkeye (2012-2015) - if you've not read much Marvel stuff before this might be a good intro as it's a very small scale story about what Clint Barton does when he's not being an Avenger. It sounds like bits of this are being adapted for an upcoming Disney+ series

Superior Foes of Spider-Man (2013-2015) - another great "small scale" series about the challenges faced by the C-list members of Spider-Man's rogues gallery. An easy and very funny read

X-Men (ongoing) - this probably isn't a good recommendation for you as it's multiple ongoing series, starting with 2019's House of X and Powers of X and continuing from there (Unlimited collects them in several reading lists). However it took me from vague awareness of the X-Men to wanting to know everything about every one of these weird characters (Beak is the best). If you do want to just read one series Marauders is the best by far

Moon Knight (2014-2015) - another character I barely knew about before starting this series and am now all in on. The first six issues in this run are written by Warren Ellis and are simply fantastic, and the remaining ones are every bit as good. Another character about to get a Disney show

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

The Grumbles posted:

I have a month of Marvel Unlimited. The only Marvel comics I've ever read are the two spider-verse series, which I quite enjoyed. Please throw recommendations at me!

Recent-er stuff:

Spider-Man Life Story by Chip Zdarsky
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man by Tom Taylor
All New Wolverine by Tom Taylor
Squirrel Girl by Ryan North

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I almost feel like House of X/Powers of X and the following would be a turn off to someone very new to comics. Maybe I'm wrong but it doesn't seem very new reader friendly.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

X-O posted:

I almost feel like House of X/Powers of X and the following would be a turn off to someone very new to comics. Maybe I'm wrong but it doesn't seem very new reader friendly.

Yeah that's definitely worth caveating. I felt totally overwhelmed jumping between those two titles but when I realised what it was building towards I got incredibly excited.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If you liked the spider verse stuff might be worth checking out Silk and Spider-Man renew your vows

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

X-O posted:

Only new to Marvel Comics! I grew up reading stuff like Sandman and Transmetropolitan.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I don't know if one of the Spider-Verse series you liked was the 2019 one, but I wrote half of that. If you liked that, try out Black Cat (2018, then 2020).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

Only new to Marvel Comics! I grew up reading stuff like Sandman and Transmetropolitan.

I'm gonna recommend the old Journey into Mystery relaunch featuring Kid Loki, you do unfortunately need a reading list for it. It didn't sell great but was highly acclaimed so it has a couple crossovers to boost sales. This is a good one, everything it marks as "optional" is very much optional, unless you're interested in them. https://journey-into-mystery.tumblr.com/post/30097993112/kidlokiguide

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I don't know if one of the Spider-Verse series you liked was the 2019 one, but I wrote half of that. If you liked that, try out Black Cat (2018, then 2020).

Don't listen to this guy.

You should read Black Cat even if you didn't read that Spider-Verse series.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

The Grumbles posted:

Jason Aaron's Thor run is fantastic, and Esad Ribic's illustrations make it look like a heavy metal album cover. Give it a try!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Grumbles posted:

For older stuff it's hard to go wrong with Walt Simonson's Thor. Starts with #337.

There's a great Avengers story where the Masters of Evil attack the mansion which begins at #270.

I also have to recommend my favorite Spidey story ever, Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut! which is just a two-parter in Amazing Spider-Man #229-230.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The Grumbles posted:

Spiderverse and Spidergeddon? Did you read the tie ins? That’s where the real meat or those stories is.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Grumbles posted:

Skip everything on this list until we get a confirmation of a Bats ongoing

actually read them all they're real good

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

God, I approve of few things more than Vulpes trying to put Bats the Ghost Dog into every series he writes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

They don’t include the Edge of SpiderVerse issue that properly introduces Spider Punk. Still my favorite Spiderverse story. And that’s including the Gerard Way SP//DR aka Penni Parker, and Spider Gwen.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

Spiderverse and Spidergeddon? Did you read the tie ins? That’s where the real meat or those stories is.

Yeah I followed an online list for Spiderverse. I'm not actually sure whether I finished Spidergeddon actually - I'll take a look! I agree that Spider Punk was excellent. The bit that always sticks in my mind is in the big climactic battle at the end of the mainline, where one of the spider-people mentions that he coulda sworn he just saw the dudes from The Social Network and Seabiscuit

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I've been so far enjoying Friendly Neighborhood Spider Man - but all your suggestions are added to the list.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Peter Parker The Spectacular Spider-Man by Chip Zdarsky is also a must read. It also includes issue #310 which is one of the best single issues of a comic I've ever read. Chip won an Eisner for it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

Peter Parker The Spectacular Spider-Man by Chip Zdarsky is also a must read. It also includes issue #310 which is one of the best single issues of a comic I've ever read. Chip won an Eisner for it.

:hmmyes:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Speaking of Chip, his latest newsletter says Daredevil is going on temporary hiatus after #36, but it'll be back with the same team, though he's not sure if it will be #37, or a new #1.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Congratulations Vulpes!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Ah, if only it was tomorrow!

In other news, it's been announced that I'm going back to my roots for ASM 78.BEY with the Daughters of the Dragon! I'm really pleased to have another go with two of my faves.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Exciting, but also bittersweet to see Marvel's worst numbering scheme return.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Always dig the recommendations, I'm adding Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut and Chips's Peter Parker 310 to my read list for sure. And maybe more!

Gotta appreciate Black Cat. I also have a black cat, who is pretty good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Are there good comics with Noh-Varr besides the original Marvel Boy mini with him, Young Avengers, and current Guardians of the Galaxy?

I liked Bendis' Dark Avengers, but I didn't particularly like him in it.

Fake edit: i liked West Coast Avengers and him in it too, to head off the most obvious suggestion.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Surprising no one, Moon Knight 2 is cool/good. Thanks Vulpes!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Are there good comics with Noh-Varr besides the original Marvel Boy mini with him, Young Avengers, and current Guardians of the Galaxy?

I liked Bendis' Dark Avengers, but I didn't particularly like him in it.

Fake edit: i liked West Coast Avengers and him in it too, to head off the most obvious suggestion.

No, I think that's about it as far as good comics go.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Civil War: Runaways and Young Avengers was by Zeb Wells and Stefano Caselli, and was pretty good. Noh-Varr is brainwashed to be evil, but looks like a beast taking on two teams of super powered teenagers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Moon Knight was great. I feel this is the second time in a month that I've been goatse'd by a Marvel book. Vulpes you write a good Marc Spector.

The first issue of the Kang mini was also really good. That's all I've had time to read today so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sisters of Battle is really good. Fun weird Chaos stuff, and it keeps up the casual references to how absolutely miserable it is to live in the Imperium.