Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i dont even really understand why alphinaud is there or why he seems to have any authority?
isnt he just a precocious child? the kid can't even summon anything good

i'd forgotten the beginning of the game so i assumed him and his sister were like immortal dragon elves or somehow special, but they seem to just be posh kids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The twins are the grandchildren of the previous head of the Scions, Louisoix, the guy that sacrificed himself to stop Bahamut from killing everybody at the end of 1.0, five years before 2.0 starts.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Regalingualius posted:

So I just got to that part of ARR in Ul’dah.

:stare:

I feel like this can mean so many things!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Alphinaud is a child prodigy with zero real world experience, so he's good at magic and poo poo but he's incredibly smug and has no idea what he doesn't know. People listen to him because he has a famous granddad.

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 16, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
He's rich and has a famous granddad.

AST dps is even less than WHM dps, really. It's your dot, your single target, your AOE (which doesn't stun and doesn't ground target, which means you have to swap targets between the tank and whatever monster you're burning down), and a healing/damage mine. It doesn't have WHM's big afflatus nuke.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Nibble posted:

I’m finding myself looking at bosses more as a healer now, personally. There’s no DPS rotation to take your focus away, and watching the mechanics play out is the best way to see where damage is going to be coming in.

WHM below 60, or at least 56, is one of the most dire stretches for lack of anything interesting to do. Give AST a shot when you get there, the extra activity of cards and utility of Essential Dignity make it more fun to play right off the bat. Though MCH is absolutely a great choice as well.

Yeah I find this game in particular as a healer I am more aware of what is happening in the fight. I think it's because the damage is predictable so the only hp bar you have to look at is the tanks for the rest of the party you can just watch the fight and see the dps standing someplace they shouldnt so you know they need a heal soon. So basically I set the tank as my focus target and it's nice and big and if I see the boss do something that is going to damage a dps I cast a heal then and not because I see their bar go down.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I feel like my particular brand of ADHD makes being a healer in any game kind of a hassle and the fact I have to multi-task DPS/Heal in FFXIV makes it too easy for me to get caught up in one role and forget about the other. I guess ultimately I'm better off as a mediocre DPS who keeps the tank alive than a good DPS who let's the tank die. But I also know as content gets trickier I need to be able to shift gears better.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Zurtilik posted:

I feel like my particular brand of ADHD makes being a healer in any game kind of a hassle and the fact I have to multi-task DPS/Heal in FFXIV makes it too easy for me to get caught up in one role and forget about the other. I guess ultimately I'm better off as a mediocre DPS who keeps the tank alive than a good DPS who let's the tank die. But I also know as content gets trickier I need to be able to shift gears better.

On the plus side, as content gets trickier, you'll have more instant-cast buttons to deal with it, so it's easier to toss out one of those and go back to dpsing.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Leraika posted:

On the plus side, as content gets trickier, you'll have more instant-cast buttons to deal with it, so it's easier to toss out one of those and go back to dpsing.

That is true. Having stuff like regen is already making my life easier. From the two I've played though I feel like going SCH is probably more in my wheelhouse than WHM but also the classes are basically nothing even by level 50 which is about as far as I've gotten.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

One of my favorite games is becoming "how long can I go without actually hard casting a heal" on my WHM. As long as Regen is up on the tank, and the tank is at least occasionally using CDs, I can get by tossing out my CDs. I'd you're worried about keeping folks topped up, I like tossing out a Medica II right after a big AoE and letting the ticks bring everyone back up.

This is my experience so far, anyway. I'm 62 and in 3.3 content, so it might be different soon, but that's where I'm at.

I've been having fun basically doing daily roulettes on my WHM and all story stuff on my RDM. I figure if I get to a point where the RDM is outleveling the quest level I'll bring my DNC in and let it soak up the extra XP.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

AST DPS is hidden in the cards. The actual GCD damage spells for AST where I'm at (50s) are pretty trivial in terms of execution, but the cards minigame inside of AST is cool and important.

slashtilde
Oct 10, 2019
What are folks doing with their UI layouts? Post some pictures of how you have your UI set up and why you like it that way.

I've been fiddling with mine some, though I find the UI resolution scale button in system settings just makes everything humongo huge, even when scaling down to 80% / 60%.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

slashtilde posted:

What are folks doing with their UI layouts? Post some pictures of how you have your UI set up and why you like it that way.

I've been fiddling with mine some, though I find the UI resolution scale button in system settings just makes everything humongo huge, even when scaling down to 80% / 60%.

First, you can scale each part individually if you want something larger or smaller but don't want to hit the entire UI.

Second, which setting do you have the High Resolution UI Settings on? (It's above Default UI Size in the System Config screen.) That might be what's making everything huge if you've got it set on something other than 100%.

Here's what I've been running with:

I play at 4k, so here's linked versions at that resolution because huge: First Second
The scaling was very different with less empty space, but I used a very similar setup when I was at a 1440 resolution.

A few extra things:
  • My Enemy Cast Bar is between the class gauge and my larger cooldown buttons.
  • My Limit Gauge is underneath my cooldown buttons.
  • My Focus Target is in the center about a quarter of the way from the top. It's not in a great place, honestly, because I don't use it as much as I should.
  • I have Status Info split into its separate parts, with Enhancements and Other next to each other where you can see Iron Will and Choco Regen. Enfeeblements are set larger and are by the Enemy List.
  • The buttons on the left next to the party menu in the second shot are macros. In that screenshot I have it set up for PLD's Cover ability, so it will automatically target that person in the party list with it. I do the same with AST cards, except I also have one for myself at the top and one for my companion at the bottom (because they don't actually occupy a slot in the party list and need their own button if I want to use a macro on them).
  • My Alliances sit next to the Party List, on the other side of that hotbar.

(Regarding my cooldown bar on Ninja, I might free up a couple spots by taking two of Ten, Chi or Jin off. I had all of them on there because I thought Ten Chi Jin would assign the mudra randomly and not in a set pattern like it does.)

I like this setup in particular because everything I need to check is near my feet or close to the side. It improves my awareness by a bunch and reduces my eye strain since I'm not constantly jerking my eyeballs from one section of the screen to an opposite part.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Why do you guys like UIs sized for ants?

I'll post my entirely too big UI when I get home and you'll all tell me to go to an eye doctor.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's way more reasonable at 4k, especially since I don't actually look at my hotbars on the bottom of the screen 99.9% of the time. The only hotbar I keep my attention on is one with my cooldowns, and that's plenty large.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Smaller UI means the stuff actually happening in the game is less obstructed. I'm pretty new still so my UI is fairly large, although I've already knocked down the hotbar sizes one notch. If you're doing everything by keyboard the actual hotbars are more of a reminder than something you have to look at all the time. Although people often put their important cooldowns on a bigger hotbar.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

IDK. I feel like even in raids I never have a ton of trouble seeing what's what even with a fairly large UI, but that might be different in FFXIV. To each their own though, I'm not trying to tell you guys not to do it. I just find it amusing personally.

With that said, the default placement for the party windows in Frontline is awful and I keep forgetting to adjust them.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

Took this screenshot on Friday but this is my UI for now. I'm real early in the game so im sure things will evolve as I see fit but for the moment its working for me. On saturday, I unlocked all the DoH/DoL jobs and put them into the hotbars under emotes. Trying to keep my cool downs mapped to L2 crossbar buttons and main attacks on the R2 crossbar

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Welp, that was a… jarring transition with Alphinaud’s VA into Heavensward

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
UI:

Relatively happy with it. My short-term buffs and target debuffs are above the resource displays. Target castbar is just above mine. There are some raid-specific elements not shown. The red segment on the castbar is an approximate slidecast window, part of the Forbidden Tools.

Zurtilik posted:

Why do you guys like UIs sized for ants?

I have terrible eyesight and have had multiple eye surgeries, but I also have a 43" monitor. The UI elements and text are all large and legible at typical desk distance even if they're small in a screenshot, or look small on a smaller monitor, and having more of the world visible is very useful.

Elements like chat, the map and the keybind bars are way out in my peripheral vision and are definitely not something that I'm aware of while playing, by design. Hence the separate cooldown indicator bars and such.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Regalingualius posted:

Welp, that was a… jarring transition with Alphinaud’s VA into Heavensward

Yeah. Most characters spend enough time offscreen to have forgotten what their old voice sounds like, but Alphy and Tataru are jarring. Tataru is for the better, at least.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah they changed studios with heavenward, these are the voices going forward so get used to them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

Oh yeah if they'd been stacked on top of each other then it wouldn't have mattered

Yup. Assuming there aren't cleaves at the start I stand in front of the boss and then move once it's clear who has threat.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Yeah. Most characters spend enough time offscreen to have forgotten what their old voice sounds like, but Alphy and Tataru are jarring. Tataru is for the better, at least.

Yeah, I miss Sam Riegel. B someone said that Sam sounded extremely smug through his whole voiceover in ARR and like, granted I'm only in 3.3 of heavensward, but isn't that his whole deal? I'm assuming maybe that changes later, but for now, dude just happens to have the right name and a lot of formal education. That seems about it.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Don't know if this is the best place to ask this question but I don't know where else to put it, so I'll go ahead.

I played many years ago, around the time Heavensward came out. Don't remember exactly how far in I got but it was somewhere in the Heavensward content. I enjoyed my experience but I had to stop playing for a while, and I never got back into it because of various things that happened. I feel like it might be the right time to come back some time soon but I'm wondering if I should try to pick up my old character again or start over from scratch.

I know if I start fresh I'm losing whatever character progress I made on my original character from back then, but this game feels different enough from other MMOs to me that I'd want to spend enough time getting up to speed on rotations, the lore, and fight mechanics, among other possible things, that it might take me long enough to get back up to speed on that stuff that it would be about the same as starting fresh. The only other thing I can think of I might miss out on is some of the people I knew back then with linkshells and friend list and whatever, but considering I have been out of the game for years I don't know how well we'd remember each other.

Figured I should get some outside opinions since I'm not sure if my guesstimates about the amount of effort and time involved to catch up would be off.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I would not really recommend re-playing ARR if you already have, personally. it's a good experience if you're coming to the game for the first time but would suggest you just watch a youtube plot recap instead if you already played it once. if you start at heavensward you've got a month for each expack before the new one and if you get through all that content you could always replay ARR in new game+

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Try it out on your old character, and if you're confused or whatever, you can play NG+ to get caught back up. Or make an alt, but that's a lot of effort.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I started playing close to a month ago, and I only just today finally got to the start of Heavensward, and that’s with playing at least a few hours/day. ARR’s postgame felt at least as long as the trek to 50.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Gasperkun posted:

Don't know if this is the best place to ask this question but I don't know where else to put it, so I'll go ahead.

I played many years ago, around the time Heavensward came out. Don't remember exactly how far in I got but it was somewhere in the Heavensward content. I enjoyed my experience but I had to stop playing for a while, and I never got back into it because of various things that happened. I feel like it might be the right time to come back some time soon but I'm wondering if I should try to pick up my old character again or start over from scratch.

I know if I start fresh I'm losing whatever character progress I made on my original character from back then, but this game feels different enough from other MMOs to me that I'd want to spend enough time getting up to speed on rotations, the lore, and fight mechanics, among other possible things, that it might take me long enough to get back up to speed on that stuff that it would be about the same as starting fresh. The only other thing I can think of I might miss out on is some of the people I knew back then with linkshells and friend list and whatever, but considering I have been out of the game for years I don't know how well we'd remember each other.

Figured I should get some outside opinions since I'm not sure if my guesstimates about the amount of effort and time involved to catch up would be off.

No reason to abandon your character if you don’t want to
You always have the option of replaying ARRs story with the new game+ feature, and you can even do it concurrent with wherever you left off if you want

As for getting gameplay stuff down, the job you play has probably changed a lot anyways. I would recommend opening your spellbook/ability page or whatever it’s called, reviewing tool tips and take a moment to organize your hotbars. After that to expirement on a striking dummy for a little bit and that’s the quickest way to get back up to speed. If it’s not clicking after that you can ask about the job specifically here or consult a guide (the guides are focused on rotation at level cap largely, but it should still give you an idea what purpose your skills serve for now)

Your best bet is still going to be focusing on msq and slowly exploring other content as you get back into the groove, whether you end up doing all of the arr ng+ or not will be up to you

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gasperkun posted:

I would say that you can use your old character.

There are ways of getting up to speed now, even with plot stuff. You can go fight some random monsters and run lower-level dungeons (or guildhests, or Palace of the Dead) to get your rotation down again. If you last played during HW, your buttons are probably pretty different anyway, depending on your job.

They have added a new game+ option, which allows you to replay any story content (for absolutely no reward), including both the MSQ and job quests. You can use that to re-orient yourself, or just watch cutscenes in the inn, or just start working on the MSQ again and figure out where you were from context.

Starting over a significant time investment. Going through all of ARR again from scratch is a good 60 hour JRPG experience, at least. I don't think it would take anywhere near that long to get back up to speed on an old character, honestly.

slashtilde
Oct 10, 2019

Onean posted:

First, you can scale each part individually if you want something larger or smaller but don't want to hit the entire UI.

Second, which setting do you have the High Resolution UI Settings on? (It's above Default UI Size in the System Config screen.) That might be what's making everything huge if you've got it set on something other than 100%.

... and other useful info

I've been keeping mine set at 100% (HD) - Standard. I play on PC with a 2560x1440 resolution, so I was under the impression that they intend for you to use 200% (WQHD) for that resolution since it says "2304x1296 or higher".
Every time I've tried that or even 150%, elements go big and notable the name plates become really huge. I can tweak UI elements down and that helps, but name plates can't be scaled as far as I know. I probably should just stick to 100% and scale up instead as needed.

Thanks for posting screenshots of UIs - these give me some idea as to how I'd want to lay mine out to reduce darting my eyes across the screen for info.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
LIMIT BREAKS

what's up with them in this game? who in the party is supposed to cast it? am I ever supposed to use it (tank)? i've only ran a handful of dungeons but i haven't ever seen anyone use the limit break before

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

g-c posted:

LIMIT BREAKS

what's up with them in this game? who in the party is supposed to cast it? am I ever supposed to use it (tank)? i've only ran a handful of dungeons but i haven't ever seen anyone use the limit break before

in 99% of content DPS use it. Keep it on your bar somewhere out of the way for the handful of fights where tanks do use it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

In my experience, Limit Breaks are like the Megalixirs of other FFs: no one ever uses them even when it’s the final boss because “what if we need it later?!”

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

g-c posted:

LIMIT BREAKS

Generally speaking, DPS will use it. In harder content, healers might use it. In a few fights specifically made for it (the final fight in the Alexander raid series comes to mind), the tank will use it. If the dps aren't using it, it's okay to encourage them to!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's always kinda funny to me to see the contrast between people who hate ARR so much they complain about it constantly and would give anything to be able to just skip to Heavensward, and people coming back who are in that exact position but are considering doing ARR again.

Anyway I like ARR well enough, but don't do it again, just pick up from where you left off and fill in any gaps you need.

g-c posted:

LIMIT BREAKS

In dungeons, the best way to use them is for ranged or casters to use them on really big pulls. People never remember to do this though (I try to but I usually forget). Otherwise they mostly just get used on the last boss to kill it a bit quicker. There's basically no reason a tank or healer would use them in a dungeon.

In larger group content healer LB3 can save the group from a wipe so that gets used sometimes. Certain fights REQUIRE Tank LB3 to survive. Otherwise DPS just use it when its full/the boss is close to dead.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 16, 2021

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Saxophone posted:

Yeah, I miss Sam Riegel. B someone said that Sam sounded extremely smug through his whole voiceover in ARR and like, granted I'm only in 3.3 of heavensward, but isn't that his whole deal? I'm assuming maybe that changes later, but for now, dude just happens to have the right name and a lot of formal education. That seems about it.

At that point, it pretty much is. (spoiling since it's the newbie thread, not going into detail about anything after 3.3) He's got big dreams and a passion/bankroll that got others to go along with it, but they blew up in his face because he thought everyone else shared his ideals. Heavensward was his growth story after the Banquet kicked him as low as he's ever gotten, and his moment at the end of 3.2 where he's all "we have to try to save Estinien, if only because nobody else will" is his turning point, recognizing that something is naive but choosing to do it anyway. ARR Alphinaud had the right voice for the character he was at the time.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 16, 2021

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

g-c posted:

LIMIT BREAKS

It's different per character. Ranged and Caster DPS do a big aoe, Melee do a big single target attack, Tanks do a big party damage taken reduction and Healers do a big heal. At 3 stacks of the Limit Break gauge, which you only get in 8-man groups, the healer LB resurrects every dead person in the party.

- In dungeons, casters or range should use LB1 on the next (big) trash pull as soon as it's up.
- In trials and on bosses, melee should normally use LB whenever the bar is full. Caster or range is better on 2+ targets, which is occasionally but rarely relevant.
- If 2 or more people are dead and LB3 is available then healers should use it, the full resurrect is worth more damage than whatever the DPS LB could do.

There are a few fights in the game where Tanks need to use LB3. Two of them are in roulettes, one is the end of the big level 60 raid and one is in a story boss in the level 80 patch content. You will be warned when you're there.

In practice, 99% of the time either no one uses LB or some random person uses it when the boss is at 1%. This is not ideal, but not a very big deal either.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

Regy Rusty posted:

Certain fights REQUIRE Tank LB3 to survive. Otherwise DPS just use it when its full/the boss is close to dead.
Certain fights require the tank to use it? how am I supposed to know lmao

E: post above just answered the question

thanks for the helpful replies, all of you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

there are some fights where the tank will need to know what's going to happen ahead of time yes