Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It's going to be shown at Essen in September from what I've read. Was supposed to be done last year but 2020 got in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
The last row actions made first round whaling a lot less valuable imo. Personally I think the strongest opening is 4 viking resource gathering/double upgrade, stone->runestone, last row ship+island (usually lofoten). If you have a strong starting profession (gravedigger especially) you get a huge boost.

It is kinda annoying that the 2/3 player board removed the 4p whaling action, it sucks when you've invested into whaling and someone else spends 3 silver and snags the one spot.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm excited for a Beyond the Sun expansion. I've been playing a lot of it on BGG and think it's been one of my favorite games since it's came out. I wish I could find it near me for closer to actual retail price, but man what a fun game. Is there any other news? I've only seen it in the Shut up and sit down video.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

The opening I described ends turn 1 with 2 income, 17 tiles, a whaling ship and some resources for whaling again. I don't think a bunch of wood and a rune is stronger. And you're leaving whaling on the table while saying how good whaling is.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
You double upgrade two starting food to greens and have a runestone to start filling in your island, usually netting you 1/2 income plus a bonus, and you get your starting profession in play. And it cannot fail on a bad dice roll.

Brandfarlig posted:

And you're leaving whaling on the table while saying how good whaling is.
I'm not sure what you mean by this? My last point was that whaling is also less reliable in later rounds compared to the base game, since an early investment can be very easily blocked by anyone with three silver.

Whaling first is a perfectly viable opening but it's not the only option and that's especially true with the expansion.

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 16, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

My point is that you said you missed 4v whaling on 3 players. If 4v whaling is still good then 3v is really good.

With my setup you need a 3 or less which is still fairly consistent. Even if you fail you can upgrade your flax or lay a snare to get started.

Double upgrading vegetables is very expensive and you pick bad actions to do so while leaving the strongest picks completely untouched. Paying half a viking per wood is much cheaper than 1 per viking with some small tiles as a consolation prize. And it cuts into your food for round 3.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 16, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

All strategies are valid, the pro-gamer move is learning to block placement slots in the mid game - and still be able to use them to your personal strategy.

When do we start asking the real questions, like what side will Danes sit on and what will the graphic be?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The real question is "what footprint will the Longship Box have" and you know it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I hope it comes with a set of steins :allears:

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Played a few games of Excavation Earth over the weekend. Definitely botched a couple of rules in the first game but it seemed fun enough when I got them right in the second. Though if there was a way to make setup less tedious that would fix my only real complaint with the game.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Infinitum posted:

All strategies are valid, the pro-gamer move is learning to block placement slots in the mid game - and still be able to use them to your personal strategy.

When do we start asking the real questions, like what side will Danes sit on and what will the graphic be?

Sure, but there's only so many truly good picks while the rest of the actions are ok. 3v whaling, 2v raiding, 4v build a long house + knarr and 2v emigration are the 4 most important actions in my book since they by far give you the most points or tiles. Honorable mention to the actions for grabbing islands of course, I grab 2 basically every game unless I'm struggling.

1v upgrade flax to the 1x4 green tile and 1v upgrade 2 are also good but they're not as consequential.

I never get into animals more than sometimes grabbing 2 horses turn 3 or 4 for 21 points or so.

Occupation cards are usually only played for points and tend to be discarded for the points tiles from norwegians. While I like that occupations aren't so good that they decide games there's a few too many that are too weak to see play. A marginal upgrade to hunting game isn't going to make me pick it every turn because it's still not a particularly good action.

Last 10 games or so we've landed at around 150 points for the winner in 1v1 and 130-140 in 3p.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 16, 2021

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Jedit posted:

The real question is "what footprint will the Longship Box have" and you know it.

yesssss

It should be as large and unwieldy as possible. It deserves a shelf to itself

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Brandfarlig posted:

Last 10 games or so we've landed at around 150 points for the winner in 1v1 and 130-140 in 3p.

I need to git gud at Feast. God, what a great game. I think what's holding me back is not properly tiling up islands quickly enough, as well as constantly forgetting to grab longhouses to dump all the orange and red tiles that I've accumulated throughout.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

FulsomFrank posted:

I need to git gud at Feast. God, what a great game. I think what's holding me back is not properly tiling up islands quickly enough, as well as constantly forgetting to grab longhouses to dump all the orange and red tiles that I've accumulated throughout.

The islands do a lot. Iceland and Isle of Man are great early since they have some of the biggest and easiest boosts to income available. Money is the best type of tile in the game. You quickly notice the value of having a food bonus or two when you get to turn 7 with enough orange tiles to fill two long houses. 30 points or so right there. And by the end of the game the value of emigrating has gone down so a 17 point long house and a 5 point knarr for 4v is about as good as it gets.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 16, 2021

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

GetDunked posted:

yesssss

It should be as large and unwieldy as possible. It deserves a shelf to itself

It should be literally modelled after a longship, like 3 Anachrony Infinity Boxes attached lengthwise.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Brandfarlig posted:

The islands do a lot. Iceland and Isle of Man are great early since they have some of the biggest and easiest boosts to income available. Money is the best type of tile in the game. You quickly notice the value of having a food bonus or two when you get to turn 7 with enough orange tiles to fill two long houses. 30 points or so right there. And by the end of the game the value of emigrating has gone down so a 17 point long house and a 5 point knarr for 4v is about as good as it gets.

I nabbed Newfoundland last time and was just rolling the points in. I might be mixing up the island though but I encircled the forged piece and then was excited to look for it only to realise I had already acquired it earlier. Boy was there egg on my face!

I still have trouble with my mid-game. The biggest jump in points for me though was not being afraid to take the 4V action spots, especially after reading the spot review/guides on BGG. Super useful but not as fun because it feels like your turn is over too early compared to everyone else doing lower cost actions.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

djfooboo posted:

Oh poo poo, forgot New Angeles was a thing. Need to find a cheap copy.

Your don't happen to be in the UK so you.

I've got a copy but rarely get up play as my gaming group are not generally up for internet negotiation games like this.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I'm not a huge fan of the late game islands but that's mostly because I heavily favor income since it allows you to grab whatever boat you need or emigrate early and often. They're by no means bad though but I feel that people sometimes miss that that the money I have received from turn 2 iceland makes up for newfoundland giving 25 more points or so. Same thing for tile bonuses, I'm not getting a 2x5 blue tile but I have gotten several smaller green tiles earlier.

Midgame is fairly fluid, by turn 3 or 4 I typically have a long ship and a whaling ship so I can contest both and I work on getting my income up as much possible after getting the best bonuses going. I usually only place 1 tile on my home board for 2 income before the last few rounds because filling up your islands first is typically better for both money and tiles. Try to emigrate a knarr if you have the money since the value of emigrations decreases with the rounds. If you're lacking in tiles by the end skip covering the empty squares on your home board and only cover the minuses. The last few jumps in income is nice but there's little point to wasting tiles covering squares that cost you nothing.

After the first 3 turns or so I don't value going first particularly highly but that's probably related to me playing a lot of 1v1s where it matters less.

Also, I don't know if you have Norwegians but it's basically just an upgrade to a fantastic game. It makes 1v1s a lot better by shrinking the number of actions available which makes the game a bit more interactive, something that can be lacking. The new and rebalanced islands are also great and the worst actions on the board are upgraded to at least being mediocre.

You'll win a lot of games by going heavy on points from emigrations etc if your playgroup is new to the game. While you obviously want to avoid negative points, having 150 points and 30 minus beats having 100 points and no minus.

I next to never pay vikings to build a longboat/knarr after turn 2. Silver or bust unless you're getting a long house as well.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 16, 2021

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I taught some new players Oath yesterday. First game was whatever-- just doing what we can to learn the intricacies of the rules. An exile won with a vision. The second game though was intense. Oath of the People was in play and the chancellor set up a favor engine very quickly so the exiles had a very hard time competing for it. I figured the chancellor would coast to a victory since the only realistic method to reclaim the banner would be to campaign for it and only theoretically. Using the Drowned City and relics to produce a bunch of secrets, I as an exile grabbed the Darkest Secrets banner just so that I could fish for cards easier. But then I drew into the faith vision (hold the darkest secrets banner) and the game completely blew up. Not only that, the other exile played False Prophet on my vision so now *they* were competing for the Secrets banner too. The map exploded into all out war as the 3 of us fought our damnedest to deny each other the banners. The war reduced everyone to nothing, but the chancellor ultimately dragged the game out to the 8th round, lacking the People's banner and thus the oath, but they did maintain the Secrets banner, denying either exile a visionary win. Thus, the chancellor won by default.

This game greatly raised my opinion of Oath in general and I'm trying to rope in more people to increase the chaos. And also to make granting citizenship more viable. We didn't find good cause to offer or accept it in our 3 player game.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

SettingSun posted:

I taught some new players Oath yesterday. First game was whatever-- just doing what we can to learn the intricacies of the rules. An exile won with a vision. The second game though was intense. Oath of the People was in play and the chancellor set up a favor engine very quickly so the exiles had a very hard time competing for it. I figured the chancellor would coast to a victory since the only realistic method to reclaim the banner would be to campaign for it and only theoretically. Using the Drowned City and relics to produce a bunch of secrets, I as an exile grabbed the Darkest Secrets banner just so that I could fish for cards easier. But then I drew into the faith vision (hold the darkest secrets banner) and the game completely blew up. Not only that, the other exile played False Prophet on my vision so now *they* were competing for the Secrets banner too. The map exploded into all out war as the 3 of us fought our damnedest to deny each other the banners. The war reduced everyone to nothing, but the chancellor ultimately dragged the game out to the 8th round, lacking the People's banner and thus the oath, but they did maintain the Secrets banner, denying either exile a visionary win. Thus, the chancellor won by default.

This game greatly raised my opinion of Oath in general and I'm trying to rope in more people to increase the chaos. And also to make granting citizenship more viable. We didn't find good cause to offer or accept it in our 3 player game.

Were you teaching the game to casual board gamers, or more serious hobbyists? I really want to justify buying the game but I just know that I don't have a group for this. It sounds so amazing :(

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The friends I taught were hobbyists and even then I did not consider this the type of game they would like but one of them brought it up to me himself. It would be a hard sell for a casual group I think because of its length, complexity, negotiation element and value of playing multiple times with the same people.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I want to play Oath so much, but I don't have the game (yet, shipping has been delayed as usual nowadays) and none of my friends who do have it have invited me to play it with them.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

SettingSun posted:

The friends I taught were hobbyists and even then I did not consider this the type of game they would like but one of them brought it up to me himself. It would be a hard sell for a casual group I think because of its length, complexity, negotiation element and value of playing multiple times with the same people.

Do you think it would be worth it to buy if I’m going to just unbox it and admire the components every so often and wonder what could’ve been? :(

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The solo mode is certainly hot garbage :v:

We were talking in discord about Oath and I think I've landed on my final thoughts on it. This is after 2 TTS plays and 4 in person at 3 and 4 (and screwing around with solo mode but as I said, ehhh). I'll just copy/paste below so apologies for the non-sequitar conversational tone.

I think i like Parmir 2e's scoring better because it still gives you different goals to build towards even if it comes down to points. The randomized scoring times helps a lot too. It rewards time investment more than his others but I'm not sure how much that's worth to most groups.

It's funny, I think Quinns comments about Root making you always feel like you're going to get a great experience but the individual games not quite living up to that promise are way more applicable to Oath but Root got the "do not recommend" and Oath got the rec.

You could say the whole is more than the sum of its parts but when those parts are individual multi-hour game sessions that's damning with faint praise. Or the other way around too: the mechanics and design goals are great but it can whiff in the end.

As Dogcop summed it up, I don't know when I'd pick it over Pamir 2E and it's my least favorite Cole game at the moment, but still better than most games out there.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 16, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Also who are these people storing AFFO vertically?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

What have I done.

The armada, it's so tiny.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2710386/article/38289099#38289099

Just posted on BGG by yours truly. Let's see how many comments get moderated in the first hour shall we?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

El Fideo posted:

What have I done.

gently caress yeah, tiny ships. I wonder if I still have any of those lying around unassembled.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Maybe your warning will get them to stay away?

Good post, though, it sums up some of my feelings as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Maybe your warning will get them to stay away?

If being warned to do something because it might have repercussions if they behaved differently had any effect on the behaviour of these asshats, they wouldn't need the warning.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

El Fideo posted:

What have I done.

When did you steal my grandparents kitchen table? :thunk:

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

My grandfather's old desk, actually. Thick metal, cloth(linen?)-lined top, and a glass over that. A remarkable pain to move anywhere.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That's the one!

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Funny. It's actually a set of two. One with a full set of drawers, the other with just the wide middle one. I'm cleaning the manydrawers desk before I wheel it in.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What a weird way for two posters to find out they're related to each other.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mayveena posted:

Just posted on BGG by yours truly. Let's see how many comments get moderated in the first hour shall we?

:hfive:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jewmanji posted:

Do you think it would be worth it to buy if I’m going to just unbox it and admire the components every so often and wonder what could’ve been? :(

Just get TTS and a VR headset, you can fondle hundreds of games.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Bottom Liner posted:

The solo mode is certainly hot garbage :v:

We were talking in discord about Oath and I think I've landed on my final thoughts on it. This is after 2 TTS plays and 4 in person at 3 and 4 (and screwing around with solo mode but as I said, ehhh). I'll just copy/paste below so apologies for the non-sequitar conversational tone.

I think i like Parmir 2e's scoring better because it still gives you different goals to build towards even if it comes down to points. The randomized scoring times helps a lot too. It rewards time investment more than his others but I'm not sure how much that's worth to most groups.

It's funny, I think Quinns comments about Root making you always feel like you're going to get a great experience but the individual games not quite living up to that promise are way more applicable to Oath but Root got the "do not recommend" and Oath got the rec.

You could say the whole is more than the sum of its parts but when those parts are individual multi-hour game sessions that's damning with faint praise. Or the other way around too: the mechanics and design goals are great but it can whiff in the end.

As Dogcop summed it up, I don't know when I'd pick it over Pamir 2E and it's my least favorite Cole game at the moment, but still better than most games out there.

SUSD tends to overestimate games with strong roleplay opportunities. Their effusive praise for King's Dilemma compared to how it actually goes with a group that's not 100% roleplay mode (entertaining, but not mind-blowing) says a lot.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mayveena posted:

Of course someone brings up abortion because why not.

Man, it has been a grip since I dipped into this thread, this pandemic has absolutely devastated any and all board game stuff in my life. Now every time I see a new board game or kickstarter that I'd want I think about when I'd actually be able to play it and start to feel down as a result.

On the plus side, did get to visit my partner's family (all vaxxed) and we got to play some Stay Cool, which I found in stock just a few days before online. Was fun, just as chaotic and enjoyably stressful as I thought it'd be. Looking forward to bringing that one to a party sometime in the distant future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's probably going to be Christmas-ish before poo poo goes back to normal here and by that time I'll have such a backlog glut of games I've told my players that I'm legitimately thinking of holding a 3 day board game weekend to get through it all (if we're still in as holidays)