Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Larryb posted:

So on the subject of the secret boss, when IS the safest time to get some attacks in? Even on Easy with an HP Vampire capable pin equipped in all but one of my slots and making liberal use of the dodge he still wiped the floor with me on my first attempt

his longest vulnerable window is right after his dual claw-swipe, which is also one of his favorite moves - he'll pound the ground to create a flame pillar, then immediately charge forward and slash. dodge that and you can get some good hits in

generally it's best to just avoid melee pins against him, though. i gave one party member the strongest melee-based water pin i had and that was enough to get some more substantial hits in. black cat blade + shoryu gleam was constantly whittling away at him as i fought with two mash-square projectile pins picking up on beatdrops

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rea posted:

There is one small change if you take Rindo out of the party: if you refight Phoenix Cantus without Rindo in the party, Neku is the one who deals the final blow at the end of the fight instead.

Neat. There’s a few other nice touches in that regard as well such as going into the aforementioned Another Day fight with Ayano while Shoka is in your party and confronting the secret boss while Sho is with you (Beat, Shoka, and Neku all have unique battle dialogue when fighting alongside him as well)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Larryb posted:

Neat. There’s a few other nice touches in that regard as well such as going into the aforementioned Another Day fight with Ayano while Shoka is in your party and confronting the secret boss while Sho is with you (Beat, Shoka, and Neku all have unique battle dialogue when fighting alongside him as well)

on a related note, it is adorable how stoked fret is to fight alongside minamimoto, especially since the guy just rolls with it

meanwhile beat always sounds two seconds away from kneecapping the dude

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Is there at least some suitably WTF dialog if you put Neku and Sho together?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

hyphz posted:

Is there at least some suitably WTF dialog if you put Neku and Sho together?

Actually they sound like they get along pretty well, Neku throws out a math pun and Sho responds with the equivalent of "drat straight", at one point

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Actually they sound like they get along pretty well, Neku throws out a math pun and Sho responds with the equivalent of "drat straight", at one point

Well to be fair, they did spend a bit of time working together In Shinjuku thanks to Coco after all

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

TheKingofSprings posted:

So, hey, you tried to kill me twice. But then I guess we both wanted to shoot Joshua so that cancels out, right?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

hyphz posted:

So, hey, you tried to kill me twice. But then I guess we both wanted to shoot Joshua so that cancels out, right?

more like "ehh, i can tell you're not as bad, and i'm used to working with folks who kill me a bit". Beat has the reactions you want

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Also until this game I had no idea that Othello was a Japanese invention.

Also.. Beat? That seems weird given that Sho was Beat's boss as a Reaper.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, how does Shoka react to Minamimoto during battle?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

hyphz posted:

they've been working together for three years, with no else to talk to besides freakin coco. i guess solidarity builds up after a while

hyphz posted:

konishi was beat's supervisor. he knows minamimoto as the guy who came back from the dead covered in sick tattoos and tried to murder everyone with forbidden Noise

and, like, his reaction to the guy is perfectly reasonable. minamimoto doesn't give a rat's rear end about anyone but himself and doesn't make any effort to hide it, either. the only reason everyone else is better-disposed towards him is because they've all made alliances of convenience, which is something original-flavor minamimoto never would have bothered with in the first place

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 16, 2021

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Oxxidation posted:

they've been working together for three years, with no else to talk to besides freakin coco. i guess solidarity builds up after a while

:roflolmao: "Can you get through a sentence without saying 'princess' at least once? Yes? We're good. :)"

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

hyphz posted:

Also until this game I had no idea that Othello was a Japanese invention.

Everything Beat did as a Reaper was under orders from Kitaniji. Sho just happened to be GM that week. Pretty much all of Beat and Sho's interactions came during week 3, after Sho went Taboo and tried to kill Beat and Neku a couple times. Beat developed a strong dislike for the dude that hasn't faded.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Also more seriously. Does AutoStyle allow for Style thresholds and their bonuses? I've seen some signs that it did and some that it didn't, and it's confusing.

It does seem obsessed with putting dresses on Beat, though..

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Saw the secret ending. I have no idea if this is the plan or not but I can seriously see room for this series being a trilogy. Slowly it seems like the characters in these two games are eroding away the detachment members of the Higher Planes have for the Lower Planes. Joshua was brought on board last game, and Haz still doesn't fully get it but finds himself taking more of an interest in human affairs than he thinks he should. Perhaps a third game could involve some kind of larger change to how this system works so that Composers and Angels stop wiping out entire cities on a whim. It really is an aspect of the setting that hasn't yet been directly challenged on a larger scale.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Saw the secret ending. I have no idea if this is the plan or not but I can seriously see room for this series being a trilogy. Slowly it seems like the characters in these two games are eroding away the detachment members of the Higher Planes have for the Lower Planes. Joshua was brought on board last game, and Haz still doesn't fully get it but finds himself taking more of an interest in human affairs than he thinks he should. Perhaps a third game could involve some kind of larger change to how this system works so that Composers and Angels stop wiping out entire cities on a whim. It really is an aspect of the setting that hasn't yet been directly challenged on a larger scale.

Like I said before, I wonder if there’s someone above even the Angels that’s been running the whole show. Could be an interesting concept for another game honestly (and it wouldn’t be the first RPG where you literally fight God).

It also could be interesting if the next Reaper’s Game took place across multiple locations as opposed to just being localized to one city like the previous entries. I wouldn’t be surprised if this Game has been going on for centuries all over the world.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Larryb posted:

Like I said before, I wonder if there’s someone above even the Angels that’s been running the whole show. Could be an interesting concept for another game honestly (and it wouldn’t be the first RPG where you literally fight God).

It also could be interesting if the next Reaper’s Game took place across multiple locations as opposed to just being localized to one city like the previous entries. I wouldn’t be surprised if this Game has been going on for centuries all over the world.

I'm totally down for meeting "Mother and Father"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm totally down for meeting "Mother and Father"

Since Players can apparently be promoted to the rank of Composer it’s possible that even Joshua was human at one point and was referring to his actual parents. But who knows

But yeah, I basically want one more sequel that cumulates in you smashing the UG and its creator(s), ending the Game for good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
All I want out of a 3 is for Joshua and Haz to be standing somewhere going "wait, WHY are we here?" and then a new version of TRANSFORMATION hits and bah gawd it's Minamimoto, he just slammed Haz with a noise chair!!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

All I want out of a 3 is for Joshua and Haz to be standing somewhere going "wait, WHY are we here?" and then a new version of TRANSFORMATION hits and bah gawd it's Minamimoto, he just slammed Haz with a noise chair!!

Why should Sho get to have all the fun? Give us a boss fight where we can beat the crap out of an Angel personally (bonus points if its one of our Composer buddies)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Larryb posted:

Why should Sho get to have all the fun? Give us a boss fight where we can beat the crap out of an Angel personally (bonus points if its one of our Composer buddies)

they'd have to pull a lot of plot bullshit to make that plausible, though. twewy's done a pretty thorough job of establishing how ludicrously powerful Higher Plane beings are compared to everything else, including each other. even minamimoto acknowledges that his stats literally have to read "infinity-plus" to stand a chance and is breaking time and space itself in an attempt to level-grind that high, and the only reason that he hasn't been unceremoniously zapped out of existence yet is because joshua finds his persistence endearing

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Oxxidation posted:

they'd have to pull a lot of plot bullshit to make that plausible, though. twewy's done a pretty thorough job of establishing how ludicrously powerful Higher Plane beings are compared to everything else, including each other. even minamimoto acknowledges that his stats literally have to read "infinity-plus" to stand a chance and is breaking time and space itself in an attempt to level-grind that high, and the only reason that he hasn't been unceremoniously zapped out of existence yet is because joshua finds his persistence endearing

Or just make the PC a new Composer and make the game be about running the Reaper's Game from the other side with Sho powerful enough to disrupt it. That way the climax can be the choice to erase our city or otherwise.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 16, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

hyphz posted:

Or just make the PC a new Composer and make the game be about running the Reaper's Game from the other side with Sho powerful enough to disrupt it. That way the climax can be the choice to erase our city or otherwise.

the idea of an RTS TWEWY is tantalizing, but minamimoto's been pretty solely fixated on shibuya

honestly i can just imagine him finally attaining angel-caliber power and tracking down joshua for his coveted showdown, only for joshua to congratulate him, hand over the position, and blip over to the Higher Plane. maybe leave behind a couple of instructional packets if he's feeling really generous

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

the idea of an RTS TWEWY is tantalizing, but minamimoto's been pretty solely fixated on shibuya

honestly i can just imagine him finally attaining angel-caliber power and tracking down joshua for his coveted showdown, only for joshua to congratulate him, hand over the position, and blip over to the Higher Plane. maybe leave behind a couple of instructional packets if he's feeling really generous

That does seem like a very Joshua thing to do (I don’t remember if we’ve ever seen Minamimoto get pissed off but that might at least make him come close)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think the pin you get from beating the final boss on Ultimate may be my favorite one in the game. RAINBOW FEATHERS EVERYWHERE. And also random status effects constantly.

Only drops I have left now are that loving jellyfish (finally gonna suck it up and savescum now) and then the postgame bosses on Ultimate.

Then I guess just pure money and PP grinding till I've got it all.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Money grinding in this game was just awful, tbh. Hardcore Puffers might be the absolute worst enemy in the game to face.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

now that i've got the full set i guess i can money grind whenever i want to zone out for little while. W3D5 shibuya hikarie nets about 650k a run if you chain all the available noise

Tsutaya O-East Another Day can get you 1.5M+ for a pretty easy 11-chain on Ultimate. Best money spot I found so far.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There may be a clever strategy that a good player would use to beat the final superboss on Ultimate

I however, went the route of "just don't get hit for 8 minutes". Noisepedia 100%!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

THIS TROPHY ENDS WITH YOU

Going for 100% ended up being extremely satisfying. Even the money/xp grind at the end was pretty fun because I discovered the glory of the triple sword build and just destroyed countless scorpions and pufferfish.

I'd say the only parts of this completionist chase I didn't enjoy were the Scramble Slams (just personal taste really) and the bosses that couldn't be chained. Having to redo Week 2 Day 7 and Week 3 Day 4 over and over to fight the minibosses that didn't get blue noise was pretty tedious. Especially the goddamn jellyfish with a 4% drop rate. But otherwise it was really nice.

This really was a great game and a worthy followup to the original. It's probably a bit presumptuous ask for it after waiting 14 years for this one, but I'd really like another sequel. This series is unique and special and always leaves me wanting more.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I had the biggest smile on my face when i finished week 2 day 2. I forgot how much i liked beat. His new look is something. :3:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So for Week 2 Day 4, is there any significant reward for doing all the mysteries or is it just something like an orichalcum that I can find more of by just fighting?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Last Celebration posted:

So for Week 2 Day 4, is there any significant reward for doing all the mysteries or is it just something like an orichalcum that I can find more of by just fighting?

No, it's a one time only material pin and you need them all for 100%

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Well drat, guess I’ll just do the day over when I unlock Ultimate. I need to fuel my pin addiction and three drop levels isn’t enough.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So I just found the bonus boss in Another Day

How do I keep him from punching out my entire insides??? He hits me for 40% of my max HP or something equally absurd. Have I just not been eating enough? Do I have to track down the NEO equivalent of the broken Gatito pins?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

YggiDee posted:

So I just found the bonus boss in Another Day

How do I keep him from punching out my entire insides??? He hits me for 40% of my max HP or something equally absurd. Have I just not been eating enough? Do I have to track down the NEO equivalent of the broken Gatito pins?

regrettably, he has one of those pins, and their true power only unlocks if you equip the full set

there's two things to keep in mind against him. first, use as few melee pins as possible - he has an apparently random chance of no-selling any attack ("WRONG ANSWER!") and insta-countering with a two-slash combo that does huge damage, especially if it hits multiple party members, so you always need to be ready to dodge and that's a lot easier if no one's up in his face. second, he'll eventually start branding your pins with eyeball symbols. using a branded pin will instantly trigger a counterattack, but it's possible to dodge it and then counter that counter, which not only makes him flinch but does a huge amount of extra damage to his shield meter. unlike his main-game battle, cracking his shield in this fight does an absurd amount of damage, like 1/5 of his life bar gone instantly, but you need to do it quickly or he'll purge it in a huge AOE attack (which is an almost guaranteed insta-kill if it catches you) and reboot it at full power

you should have close to max HP on rindo/fret/nagi/beat at this point and at least 200 defense on everybody. if you're far from those stats, then time to drink some juice

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Here's my strategy that got me through on Ultimate. This is almost certainly the Bad Player strat, since it takes forever, but it is reliable. As Oxxidation said, bring lots of ranged pins but do also bring one or two really fast acting melee pins. Pins that do status effects like freeze are very nice too. Then what you mainly want to do is always keep your distance. Don't stay in his face and risk him doing his combo attacks on you. Instead what you want to bait out is the charge. If you have sword chasers for instance you can be unleashing those constantly for steady damage, but otherwise wait for the charge, and then blast him with a bunch of ranged attacks. You should get a few beat drops this way. If a status effect activates at any point then go in for a BRIEF melee combo to get some more beat drops. If you've got good pin choices you'll probably be able to slowly build up your groove to use a big move, but really your main goal is just slow, safe, steady damage.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
What’s a good way to deal with the higher level Wolves that zip around randomly in energy form? I know you can counter it by knocking them down while they’re howling, but there’s often too many to do that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

hyphz posted:

What’s a good way to deal with the higher level Wolves that zip around randomly in energy form? I know you can counter it by knocking them down while they’re howling, but there’s often too many to do that.

that's a great question! you eat poo poo. that's what you do.

seriously those wolves can single-handedly lock down the entire arena and there's not much to be done about it other than targeting them first and making sure they don't get the chance to start running. there's usually only one per enemy party unless you're fighting the Plague Noise, so prioritizing them isn't too difficult as long as you keep their friends from getting in the way

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Got interesting info about development for the game Apparently Shoka took Tsugumi's role in the plot, Kanon was in Ayano's role as a Reaper that was Shoka's older sister type, and Ayano was a player. Nagi originally had a sword

Also apparently Coco is physically on the older side of Reapers being Biologically 19. (Reapers don't age apparently)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Here's my strategy that got me through on Ultimate. This is almost certainly the Bad Player strat, since it takes forever, but it is reliable. As Oxxidation said, bring lots of ranged pins but do also bring one or two really fast acting melee pins. Pins that do status effects like freeze are very nice too. Then what you mainly want to do is always keep your distance. Don't stay in his face and risk him doing his combo attacks on you. Instead what you want to bait out is the charge. If you have sword chasers for instance you can be unleashing those constantly for steady damage, but otherwise wait for the charge, and then blast him with a bunch of ranged attacks. You should get a few beat drops this way. If a status effect activates at any point then go in for a BRIEF melee combo to get some more beat drops. If you've got good pin choices you'll probably be able to slowly build up your groove to use a big move, but really your main goal is just slow, safe, steady damage.

I did pretty much the same, but instead of melee I brought the HOG FANG healing set (246/247). It'll give you pretty much constant heals, and the shield can be a really useful second chance if you ever gently caress up your dodge timing, especially on his one-shot jump attack. Having that much healing also means you can go a little harder on the combos to build up your Killer Remix.