Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Does anyone know a way to get macs/MacBooks functioning on a windows domain without it being a huge pain in the rear end? The last person I set this up for I had to join them and also create a separate roaming account on the same machine for them to access files even locally when they weren’t inside the network. VPN isn’t an option for these new users, we use redirected folders for the windows machines. I can map the shared drives but they disappear constantly even when on the domain for seemingly no reason on the MacBooks and this is wearing me out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MustardFacial posted:

Do you double dog dare me to hit Enter?

This is a message to the CTO btw.

I get sick of this as well. Only implementing stuff that the slowest person on the team can understand rather than investing in the staff, tends to be the sign of problems higher up as it's a completely broken attitude.

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Does anyone know a way to get macs/MacBooks functioning on a windows domain without it being a huge pain in the rear end? The last person I set this up for I had to join them and also create a separate roaming account on the same machine for them to access files even locally when they weren’t inside the network. VPN isn’t an option for these new users, we use redirected folders for the windows machines. I can map the shared drives but they disappear constantly even when on the domain for seemingly no reason on the MacBooks and this is wearing me out

https://nomad.menu/

Or, if you have budget https://www.jamf.com/products/jamf-connect/

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 16, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is geoblocking the laziest form of "IT Security" or is there something worse?

[edit: Sorry, I should specify. I mean blocking geoblocking to block at the IP level and not factoring geolocation into your user risk.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 16, 2021

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

IP allow lists

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

IP allow lists

:argh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh no wait, even lazier is moving things to non-standard ports but otherwise doing nothing. I'm sure your RDP instance is perfectly safe on port 9389.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh no wait, even lazier is moving things to non-standard ports but otherwise doing nothing. I'm sure your RDP instance is perfectly safe on port 9389.

33389, nobody is ever gonna figure that one out. or 33899.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That or port knocking

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our last DBA made all our SQL boxes use non standard ports for "security". Was a drat hassle.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

She doesn't want things like this put in writing.

Well that doesn't sound suspicious at all. In fact I routinely tell my reports never to put totally legit business things in writing.

Edit:

Internet Explorer posted:

Is geoblocking the laziest form of "IT Security" or is there something worse?

[edit: Sorry, I should specify. I mean blocking geoblocking to block at the IP level and not factoring geolocation into your user risk.]

It's been a minute, but the laziest form of IT security is a firewall with just the following rule.

SOURCE-ANY, DEST-ANY, SERVICE-ANY, ACTION-DROP, LOGGING-YES

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 16, 2021

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The Fool posted:

You can get away with saying almost anything as long as it isn’t “I was fired for incompetence and am so toxic no-one would hire me”

There’s a guy on here that quit his job to hike the Appalachian trail and came back and got a better job.

There are 2 guys here who did it. You are correct about the 100% success rate.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

You win, this is definitely lazier.

God I hate our industry.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm mostly just mad at the misspelling of containerization.

I'm kind of going through a similar thing this morning. "We need to wrap up outstanding projects before starting more." What outstanding projects? Do we have a list somewhere? What if this is a thing that needs to be done to enable those projects? Is anyone looking at this? Is anyone managing this?

No, it's just an easy way to shut down work on something you don't agree with. Just like your message from the CTO.

The dude is at the company HQ which in in Europe. I am assuming it is a European spelling. Americans use a lot of "z" in places of "s"

Sickening posted:

What does IT fear when it comes to containers?

YAML files and the concept of software defined X?

Thanks Ants posted:

All of my SSH ports 1337.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
and now, to write my own job description for a new role within the company, taking the stuff I still want to deal with and tossing the rest. No I won’t take it unless it comes with a salary bump.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So uhh I got a 2 hour job interview tomorrow apparently where I'm meeting the Network Director, then the CISO.

What were some good questions to ask an interviewer again? Deep end as gently caress, haven't had a job interview in 15 years.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800676&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=16#post467684727

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Right on, thanks.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GreenNight posted:

So uhh I got a 2 hour job interview tomorrow apparently where I'm meeting the Network Director, then the CISO.

What were some good questions to ask an interviewer again? Deep end as gently caress, haven't had a job interview in 15 years.

For interviews with higher level people like that asking what success looks like for that role from their perspective does really well. That's the one question from that goon list I always ask.

Any question relevant for your job but at their level in general does well, like what are the department objectives for the upcoming months/year and how does the role you are interviewing for fit in there.

There it is.

Sprechensiesexy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 16, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That's some good points. I'm probably not going to ask the CISO of a law office about his last vacation.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You should. You should also ask what vacations look like for the rest of his team.

Law offices suck. Ask them how they handled the naturally federated nature of law firms. How do they come to decisions, who ultimately makes the decisions, how do they balance doing security with the fact that everyone is a shareholder, etc.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Why not? Lets you know how much of a business focused mindless drone he is and what he expects of his people. If he never takes vacations, he'll probably never expect you to take vacations.

Plus its a good talking point, and gives you insight into what he likes to do in his free time. CISOs are people too, you don't have to put them on a pedestal because they have 'Chief' in their title.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Thanks Ants posted:

I get sick of this as well. Only implementing stuff that the slowest person on the team can understand rather than investing in the staff, tends to be the sign of problems higher up as it's a completely broken attitude.

https://nomad.menu/

Or, if you have budget https://www.jamf.com/products/jamf-connect/

If you have an Apple Business Account, Apple has a built-in equivalent to Nomad that seems to work a lot better.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Enterprise Connect? I think that used to come along with a PS engagement, and it looks like it's been rolled into macOS now and is configured via MDM

https://datajar.co.uk/apples-single-sign-on-extension-for-macos/

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Unless it caches admin status locally, combining Macs and domain accounts still sucks for me IMO

issue: "teacher can't add their printer at home to their new Mac due to it not considering them an admin"
resolution: disconnect from school wifi, switch to local admin account, toggle the checkbox on their account to make them an admin for real (instead of it being enforced by checking with the domain), log back out of local admin account, reconnect to school wifi

After a few weeks of that, we said screw it and went with local accounts

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I've seen goons here have an almost allergic reaction to coworkers who dare ask them questions that are 'personal' and not work related. Now imagine that CISO being one of those goons.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I've seen goons here have an almost allergic reaction to coworkers who dare ask them questions that are 'personal' and not work related. Now imagine that CISO being one of those goons.

I'd rather find that out in the interview stage than after I'd been in the position for three months.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I'd rather find that out in the interview stage than after I'd been in the position for three months.

If you can't ask questions during your interview, that's a job you do not want

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Personally I hate hate hate small talk. I'll tell you about my weekend if you ask (I was asked 6 times today), but I will never initiate that conversation. But for this CISO I'll ask. Same with the Director I'm speaking with post CISO.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The worst is when a co-worker brings up video games. Because the inevitable result is they want to friend you on whatever platform they prefer and there is no loving chance I will want to finish work for the day and then fire up the xbox to play games with co-workers.

I'm friendly with yall but not that friendly.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think there might be some confusion here. The goal isn't to make small talk. It's literally asking when was the last time they took significant PTO and if they were able to disconnect or if they had to work the entire time. You don't need to ask where he went and what he had for dinner.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Na, I gotcha. I think some of us were just expanding that to internal office discussions.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
We were having some packet loss on an EC2 instance despite our zabbix/top metrics showing the CPU/Memory sleeping during the packet loss. We opened an AWS ticket and the rep pointed out that we were hitting 100% on the CPU according to cloudwatch metrics. After some back and forth, the rep explained to us that cloudwatch metrics are reporting the virtualized CPU useage of our instance, where zabbix/top are reporting the utilization of the hosts core that our instance runs on.

I have...never heard this, and I feel like it invalidates any non-cloudwatch metrics reporting. Has anyone crossed this bridge already, is there any alternative other than just switching to using cloudwatch metrics for CPU source of truth? I'd hate to have to split the tools we use by resource type but this seems like a major issue. Also why is AWS exposing the underlying like this?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Is the new buzzword for infosec "discreet" because my crazy CISO can't stop using the word discreet.

"We need to be very discreet when evaluating these roles".

I think she wants to use the word "careful" but believes discreet sounds cooler? It doesn't really fit IMO.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Maybe she heard it during a L&O marathon.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Or it was a project that was supposed to have been done weeks ago and she doesn't want to let on she is only getting around to it now.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That's three employee departures in a row where the closest I got to official notice was an all-staff email about the farewell get-together.

EDIT: Recruiter emailed me to say that the CFO wants me to schedule a mini "super day" with them as soon as possible, which I assume is a series of interviews with key people. Could be that they're running out of time to find a replacement for the departing I.T. Director so they need to screen candidates quickly.

The last two jobs did this, so I've been through it before. They just ran around trying to find anyone who wanted to ask me questions until they ran out of takers.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 18, 2021

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

:yotj: :yotj:

New contract is signed by everyone, just going to confirm everything is good and then I get to quit.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Had an interview with the CISO who loved me and said I am everything he is looking for in the position. He said its mostly work from home but I may need to come to the office 1-2 times a month.

Then I talked to the IT Director who said it's on site 3-4 days a week. I flat out told him that's not what the CISO mentioned. He said it's not the CISO's call. Yeah gently caress that noise.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Make sure you tell the CISO thats why you turned the job down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

skipdogg posted:

Make sure you tell the CISO thats why you turned the job down

Also post glass door reviews about how the CISO is cool AF, but the IT director is a big ol jerk.