Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

codo27 posted:

Level 20 or something? Deprived character, put most into STR and enough into DEX to use weapons, and some sprinkled VIT/END

put your next 10-20 levels into ADP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
That seems like a low level to me, but then, I usually place down a lot of summon signs early and get a lot of extra souls from co-op. Anyway, get some adaptability as well, raise it until your agility increases to at least 92.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
20’s not that low for deprived start

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Raylax posted:

Every time I reach the DLC of DS2, I get halfway through brume tower, die about 300 times in and around this one room, and decide it's been too long since I last rage-uninstalled a game

I eventually cheesed this room, gently caress it. It seems like I forgot to go pick up the rod you get after Sir Alonne so I have to wander back through the Alonne knight area now to get it.

Since I last posted I finally beat the Queen (I got a human to help, always a boost that) and took on Sinh on my own, that was a fun fight. After that I realised I never talked to Vendrick about the whole quest for these crowns so I hopped over to him and then figured I'd take him on, but first I had to smash my head into the Ancient Dragon for 2ish hours. I eventually got him and Vendrick done.

I think I just have to assemble this Queen's souls and then I'm off to the last DLC. After that it's the final bosses (I'm planning on being an rear end in a top hat and feathering out of each fight) and uh... maaaaybe Darklurker?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I usually play deprived since after my first couple of Souls characters but it really feels like it had no effect in 1/3. I'm already like way behind for some of the items I've picked up like the Halberd and Drangleic Sword. Like I'm already pumping into str/dex but I need a lot more to use those. I'm good though for weapons for a while with that battle axe +3.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Shoehead posted:

but first I had to smash my head into the Ancient Dragon for 2ish hours
How come? Did you eat a giant soul?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

skasion posted:

put your next 10-20 levels into ADP

New thread title spotted

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
ADP is a weird stat in that it only gives you benefits at certain levels rather than each point giving you something like the HP stat or a damage stat does. I have a theory that the best way to level in this game early on is to max out your HP and use a shield, until you've got enough levels to get enough ADP to give you 13 i-frames, then respec all your HP to ADP and dump the shield.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
You don't need 13 i-frames until later in the game. 10 will serve just fine for early game and quite a bit into middle game even if you're stat point hungry.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

codo27 posted:

Tried another session last night. Still awestruck at how hard the game seems to me right now. Tried pursuer, was quickly dispatched. I just feel so god drat slow. The delay in rolling or chugging an estus after hitting the button seems so drat long.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Crystalgate posted:

You don't need 13 i-frames until later in the game. 10 will serve just fine for early game and quite a bit into middle game even if you're stat point hungry.

I have vague concerns that I'll somehow learn bad timing if my number of iframes changes

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gort posted:

I have vague concerns that I'll somehow learn bad timing if my number of iframes changes

No, you'll just go from "what the gently caress why did I get hit in my dodge roll?" to "cool, I dodged that like I should have and I'm not dead"

not taking a loving hour to drink an estus is nice too

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Funniest thing of all to me is I tried parrying, and until Sekiro I had quite honestly never parried ever in several hundred hours of Souls (because I dont use shields 99% of the time). First attempt at it on the first guy down the ladder from the non-boss pursuer encounter, nailed it. I tried it on the Heide knights too but I dont know if thats even possible, prob not

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Crystalgate posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM 20 LEVELS INTO MY CHARACTER. IT'S ADP AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Shoehead posted:

first I had to smash my head into the Ancient Dragon for 2ish hours. I eventually got him and Vendrick done.

You fought Ancient Dragon straight up without the toe poke? :stare:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I did until I learned about the toe poke. I wanted to fight him eventually so I figured I might as well get his soul before Vendrick so it would help later. Walking out past his stunned servants was pretty cool.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

You fought Ancient Dragon straight up without the toe poke? :stare:

Wait, what is "the toe poke"?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Gort posted:

Wait, what is "the toe poke"?

If you stand by his big toe/talon, he will only ever use the stomp move. Run to the other foot, get a few hits in, repeat until dead.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

codo27 posted:

Level 20 or something? Deprived character, put most into STR and enough into DEX to use weapons, and some sprinkled VIT/END

All of your problems with painful movement and dodging and estus chugging are because you need to raise your Agility stat by pumping Adaptability and maybe some Attunement if you plan on casting.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Last session recap:

Pump all those points into ADP. Feels a bit better, still seems like quite a delay in pressing the button and even beginning to chug my estus. Decide I'm going to go kill that ogre in the river. Burn an effigy cause that fool cant gently caress with me. Get promptly eaten immediately.

Decide I'm going to get my humanity back after going back and killing the ogre by helping someone cheese Pursuer. Get summoned, win the fight, the last loving crossbow bolt perfectly headshots me as the boss dies, I get the souls but not the humanity.

Next try. Same. loving. Thing. Except I get hit even sooner so I dont even get the souls.

Finally do it, use the souls on a FBoY from the merchant at the nearby fire. Go back to Things Betwixt to finish all that off. Get loving killed by the gimp in the basilisk room by being careless over my health. Go back and do it all again, light the last torch, kill the two ogres mostly by bow cheese through the opening in the basilisk room. gently caress facing the pursuer. Get killed by the phantom. Go back to try again, roll off the edge and drown before either of us makes a swing or I retrieve my souls 3 feet away. Finally kill him on the third try. Fin

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lmao, thanks for sharing, reminds me of my first couple forays into the game. Once you get used to the Ogre and Pursuer's AI and attacks they're surprisingly simple to beat. One time I tried luring the 2 ogres off the cliff by the tree bridge, and I managed to bait them both into flopping backwards and off the cliff simultaneously... but they hit me, knocking me off the ledge, and I didn't even get their souls lol

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The grab boxes on all the Soulsbornekiro games super are absurd sometimes, but DS2 loves giving a lot of early enemies grabs to really rub it in.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
The hitbox of all grabs and skewering attacks in souls games are large enough to have their own postcodes. Possibly so you can write them a letter of complaint.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
That's Ds2 done for me. I still love this game, even though it has it's low points and is weirdly harder than the other two souls games. Obviously with were 3 goes this is more like DS:Gaiden. You can see were devs were trying to experiment and iterate on stuff from 1 and maybe react to how players were treating the game and it has... mixed results. The Agility journey you go on is worth it in the end but it's very easy to become frustrated with it for example. Changes to parry windows being way lower even though you're mainly fighting human shaped enemies is annoying. It's way more videogamey than the first game too and I kind of really love it for that, even if the plot ends up all over the place as a result (like "you'll come to the end and not know why", yeah cos I was only kind of clued into what was going on by a talking tree, KIND OF). And of course the fashion souls is strong as gently caress in this one, so many hats to wear, but I always end up with a fully upgraded mannequin mask on, it's too weird not to wear.

The DLC was kind of mixed for me. Any human soldier in all 3 seemed to be slightly too strong, especially with how you have to do a lot of areas twice in Ivory King, which is a shame. Those encounters were cool in how dynamic they became, how they scaled up now that things have changed but they were already against damage sponges and that kind of takes away from it. That last boss fight in Ivory king was loving crazy though that ruled! I didn't cop that I needed more knights until I found one later so I did drag some really nice phantoms into a barely winable fight (that we almost won a few times because we split aggro really well). I didn't finish any of the 3 challenge areas, though I saw that one is supposed to be a low point on the series as a whole so I don't feel too bad about that..

I'm really glad the very positive impression I was left with with the OG release of this game 7(?) years ago bears out. I'm on to DS 3, a game I also really like, though I wish it had some of the vibrant palette DS2 has. Then after that, I dunno mods or something? Until Elden Ring!

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Raylax posted:

The hitbox of all grabs and skewering attacks in souls games are large enough to have their own postcodes. Possibly so you can write them a letter of complaint.

I think its the delay in the animations that make grab hitboxes look so big. Sometimes it seems like you teleport onto the Pursuer's sword.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Shoehead posted:

I didn't finish any of the 3 challenge areas, though I saw that one is supposed to be a low point on the series as a whole so I don't feel too bad about that..

The Iron King one is short unless you feel like loving with the side paths that have nothing worthwhile on them. The Sunken King one is just kind of dull and the boss isn't really that interesting. The Ivory King one has a fun boss fight at the end, but the walkup is interesting exactly once and a long, slow march the rest of the time if you plan on taking any NPC phantoms because they will not be able to keep up with you gunning it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

lmao, thanks for sharing, reminds me of my first couple forays into the game. Once you get used to the Ogre and Pursuer's AI and attacks they're surprisingly simple to beat. One time I tried luring the 2 ogres off the cliff by the tree bridge, and I managed to bait them both into flopping backwards and off the cliff simultaneously... but they hit me, knocking me off the ledge, and I didn't even get their souls lol

Pursuer is the only enemy, in the entire Soulsborne series that I can parry 100% of the time, with anything like parry shields, small shields, medium ones, unarmed... The attack pattern is basically burned in my brain and I always stay a bit further than his sword's range to trigger the charge attack and then... parry him until dead.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I had totally forgotten I'd try to break into the last beta a while back and still had the files on my computer. Half afraid now I'll get home and be black listed or something

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Shoehead posted:

I'm really glad the very positive impression I was left with with the OG release of this game 7(?) years ago bears out. I'm on to DS 3, a game I also really like, though I wish it had some of the vibrant palette DS2 has. Then after that, I dunno mods or something? Until Elden Ring!

I'm by no means a mod master, but the Cinders mod for ds3 was a huge bag of fun for me. Plenty of remixes and some all-time great weapons from throughout the Souls series made it a great capstone.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

f#a# posted:

I'm by no means a mod master, but the Cinders mod for ds3 was a huge bag of fun for me. Plenty of remixes and some all-time great weapons from throughout the Souls series made it a great capstone.

Yeah I'm looking forward to trying out immediately after vanilla D3. And then there's that D1 mod that looks nuts coming out in January

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWAUElHJSRk

Do you think the Forlorn had girl power?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

As described in my last post

https://i.imgur.com/SBvlO6F.mp4

Just now..

https://i.imgur.com/fQVjMYf.mp4

I DONT EVEN KNOW HOW I DID THAT MOVE

Then, on my way to collect my souls..
https://i.imgur.com/hx2RVES.mp4

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Lmfao you need to be more mindful of your inputs!

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Akuma posted:

Lmfao you need to be more mindful of your inputs!

But more importantly, Storm's inputs

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

codo27 posted:

Beautiful :allears:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Decided to stop being a little bitch and learn to parry and defeat the pursuer straight up. After getting frustrated after about 20 tries, I read up and learn the buckler makes it easier. Trivially so, apparently. Perform 4 or 5 flawless parries, whatever it took, and killed him first try with the buckler.

Of course, this is the Lost Bastille one and one of the cloaked mage guys had broken down the door behind us and released the dogs which killed me as I finished him off, preventing me from getting any souls or the apparent TWINKLING TITANITE I was supposed to be awarded for killing him. :shepicide:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

codo27 posted:

Just now..

https://i.imgur.com/fQVjMYf.mp4

I DONT EVEN KNOW HOW I DID THAT MOVE

Then, on my way to collect my souls..
https://i.imgur.com/hx2RVES.mp4

Holy poo poo this is magical :allears:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

codo27 posted:

This is incredible

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Do they always one shot from a hit to the head?

Lord knows one of the little pleasures of this series is being beaned right through the brain basket with an arrow and running around like it isn't anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Blundering through Brume Tower at the moment. I loved the Prowlers invasion - fortunately my run-and-scream Scooby-and-Shaggy battle plan prevailed.

I think the cursed ashen idol thing is one of my favorite mechanics in the game. Good mix of creepy and desperation. Fortunately had the witch's veil drop in Belfry Sol.

I also like that poison is actually effective in DS2, unlike DS3. Dropping Iron Warriors and the Pursuer with poison arrows is satisfying.