Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Edit: Fair warning, the RobertCByrd account cited in this tweet has definitely got some alt-right poo poo on it (like retweeting Jack Posobiec). I am not endorsing it in any way, just posting what appears to be another instance of folks being flown out.

https://twitter.com/vcdgf555/status/1427359848987971600?s=21

generic one fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

QuoProQuid posted:

if this tweet thread from the (former) governor of afghanistan's central bank is to be believed, the afghan government was in denial as late as friday evening:

https://twitter.com/aahmady/status/1427265049668636674

also, the us government was sending signals that it didn't anticipate a collapse throughout saturday. biden here seems kind of revisionist?

sounds belivable. they think america is gonna either come roaring back to save them or that the spec ops legions of the ANA are gonna save them or etc. it sounds like that the higher ups basicaly got told "walk away or surrender but if you fight, you will be dead or worse within a week".
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1427370771488313344

QuoProQuid posted:

this is a translation issue. macron called for evacuating and protecting afghan refugees who have worked with france and then briefly mentioned an EU migration program

https://twitter.com/anjalikdayal/status/1427339115968749571

https://twitter.com/benjaminhaddad/status/1427338965644980226

https://twitter.com/benjaminhaddad/status/1427332037837529094

yeah, that sounded way to hosed up even for macron.

anyway, everything i am hearing on twitter is that the US and the taliban are talking on the ground and the taliban is probably gonna just let them and the afganis who want too and can leave. my guess is they are killing people but its probably the remaining ANA spec ops types least for now.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
If the Taliban just let everybody who wants to leave, leave, well that would be pretty wonderful. I suspect that'll be a lot of people.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Numlock posted:

Yeah this isn't going to cost Biden and the Democrats in general a single vote.

Nobody cares, between the pandemic, the ongoing and accelerating climate crisis, and America falling apart socially and literally with infrastructure problems nobody has the metal room to care about even one more thing.

Yeah I'm picking up what he's putting down here, Biden will naturally take heat from this but this still won't wipe away the past four years from the public consensus, the damage done was too strong and people aren't exactly aching to crawl back to the GOP when they're gutting our voting rights and there's footage of Trump trying to take credit in withdrawing less than a month ago. I dunno, a lot of US citizens tend to forget a whole lot of things if it isn't directly affecting them personally, sad as it may be.

He'll get burned six ways from Sunday by this for sure, but we're still over a year from midterms and 3+ away from a POTUS election. It's probably going to be the usual tribalistic Red vs Blue election that's now par for the course.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

How are u posted:

If the Taliban just let everybody who wants to leave, leave, well that would be pretty wonderful. I suspect that'll be a lot of people.

Well there's 14.5 million Afghan women for starters.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

How are u posted:

i mean i get their logic. why keep people around who will rise up and hate you and possibly another civil war in couple years. just let them go and cowl the rest with carrot and stick. also they won. this isnt the NVA fighting and killing their way to the embassy.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Agreed. America is well known for forgiving humiliating military defeats when it comes to presidents.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Yeah I'm picking up what he's putting down here, Biden will naturally take heat from this but this still won't wipe away the past four years from the public consensus, the damage done was too strong and people aren't exactly aching to crawl back to the GOP when they're gutting our voting rights and there's footage of Trump trying to take credit in withdrawing less than a month ago. I dunno, a lot of US citizens tend to forget a whole lot of things if it isn't directly affecting them personally, sad as it may be.

He'll get burned six ways from Sunday by this for sure, but we're still over a year from midterms and 3+ away from a POTUS election. It's probably going to be the usual tribalistic Red vs Blue election that's now par for the course.

its also kinda of dead end issue for the GOP too. like sure they will scream about it but like whats the alternative. stay? go full soviet invansion on the populus and hope this time terror campaigns works? no it was over and this was always gonna happen and everyone loving knew it. its just people are in denial.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Agreed. America is well known for forgiving humiliating military defeats when it comes to presidents.

Well at least in this instance Biden doesn't have a son that has a chance at sniffing the Presidency, unlike W.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Noblesse Obliged posted:

There was no humiliating military defeat, tho? We can blow the Taliban up all day long forever if we wanted to. We just don't want to anymore.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The only thing that matters is getting the people to safety for those who need to be brought out of Afghanistan and it should have been accounted for, planned and executed better. This is what leadership should be held accountable for.

Outside of getting people to safety, other things are moot.

I think there's a lot of rationalization and coming to terms with this too. It's 20 years of global life and now it's ending in sudden chaotic fashion. I think there's an element of ego to it too "We lost, it's ending, we're pulling out? Who is to blame? What was it all for? I need to make sense of it and point at someone for an easy blame."

Like it's been 20 years, every admin and politician from the warmongering grifting Cheney/Bush/Rumsfeld to Obama/Biden to Trump/Pence to Biden/Harris and Military officials in that time and foreign powers who stuck their dick into Afghanistan is responsible for this. The CIA/Halliburton, etc. probably exploited enough grift and made bucks. Clearly in the last 20 years no one understood or gave a poo poo about what Afghanistan actually is, the culture, the tribal nature, consequences etc. to do a good job nor put in the necessary effort to nation build versus pass the buck and drag their feet so they wouldn't be "it." Which actually does support the notion to pull out and not continue bloodshed. Clearly the Afghan people didn't believe in the American backed govt. and preferred not to die so they went back to the Taliban the second the US said we'd exit. So good on Biden doing the hard thing and pull out and taking it on the chin but hosed up the people are going to suffer.

I do think there's some calculation amongst the western nation politicians who have swing rightward like the US, France, UK that their white nationalistic xenophobic base would backlash if they took on refugees. Europe already doesn't want to and says as much. The GOP/Republicans/Conservatives and their white supremecist base would feast on this so gently caress them.

The other thing that sucks is this is yet another situation where America promised and screwed people over. The US' word is poo poo.

Now China's going to be next to stick their nose into Afghanistan and probably deal with the Taliban since they don't care about human rights and want to make inroads, and literal roads for economic development. It will be interesting to see if Afghanistan changes and makes incremental progress come over time naturally as a result or if China's going to be yet another Empire that falls if things go south there. But they'll probably be smarter about things.

The real influence on Afghanistan is probably going to come through Pakistan's ISI since they're the ones who have trained and in the background influenced things there historically.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 16, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Gatts posted:

Now China's going to be next to stick their dick into Afghanistan

:chloe:

loving gross

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
Can’t stop thinking about the conversation mothers who lived with Taliban rule twenty years ago will have to have with their daughters who have been born in the past couple of decades, if they get the chance to have one. Imagine having to explain that poo poo.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Gatts posted:

The only thing that matters is getting the people to safety for those who need to be brought out of Afghanistan and it should have been accounted for, planned and executed better. This is what leadership should be held accountable for.

Outside of getting people to safety, other things are moot.

except the vast majority of the time, effort, and resources that will be spent on this particular historical event will instead be "attempting to pin every historical failure that made this war unwinnable by 2013 on the current president" as opposed to refugee resettlement

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Jaxyon posted:

:chloe:

loving gross

Yes, actually you are right. I will correct it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Also "China doesn't care about human rights"

Yeah neither does the US. Who do you think keeps vetoing every human rights treaty.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Why didn't they just widen the planes?

e: wrong thread

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Jaxyon posted:

Also "China doesn't care about human rights"

Yeah neither does the US. Who do you think keeps vetoing every human rights treaty.

this kind of third grade, china daily-style political analysis makes me want to die.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

How are u posted:

There was no humiliating military defeat, tho? We can blow the Taliban up all day long forever if we wanted to. We just don't want to anymore.

Brave leadership!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

QuoProQuid posted:

this kind of third grade, china daily-style political analysis makes me want to die.

The US never card about human rights abuses of it's the Taliban, the Northern Alliance, the Saudi's, etc.

We wanted to build roads not because we wanted life to be easier for the Afghanis but because we wanted infrastructure for mineral exploitation.

What's 3rd grade about it? It's true.

China doesn't give a poo poo about human rights either and is currently genociding Uyghers but the US was never a friend of human rights in Afghanistan.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its also kinda of dead end issue for the GOP too. like sure they will scream about it but like whats the alternative. stay? go full soviet invansion on the populus and hope this time terror campaigns works? no it was over and this was always gonna happen and everyone loving knew it. its just people are in denial.

Well that's their moral dilemma, but I know conservatives with bad-faith arguments honestly do not care since it literally goes against their MAGA rallycry and 'America First' principles, since ending a twenty year war abroad does exactly that; focuses on America First over a foreign nation.

This whole messy ordeal is gonna get drawn and quartered over the next few weeks, with the GOP using it as the golden opportunity to attack Biden they've been clamoring for all year. And it hugely sucks because another conflict will yet again be trivialized to a couple of debate bullet points like something you'd see on a amateur debate team.

White Light fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 17, 2021

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

How are u posted:

Turns out there is more to victory than subtracting the enemies casualties from your own and getting a positive sum.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

The US never card about human rights abuses of it's the Taliban, the Northern Alliance, the Saudi's, etc.

We wanted to build roads not because we wanted life to be easier for the Afghanis but because we wanted infrastructure for mineral exploitation.

China doesn't give a poo poo about human rights either and is currently genociding Uyghers but the US was never a friend of human rights in Afghanistan.

If they only wanted to build roads to exploit minerals, you'd figured they'd have done that.

I don't think the US built a single mine in Afghanistan. Bit late now.

How are u posted:

"The most advanced military in the world" fleeing in panic from a bunch of people using their weapons against them is victory.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

generic one posted:

Edit: Fair warning, the RobertCByrd account cited in this tweet has definitely got some alt-right poo poo on it (like retweeting Jack Posobiec). I am not endorsing it in any way, just posting what appears to be another instance of folks being flown out.

https://twitter.com/vcdgf555/status/1427359848987971600?s=21

Those don't look like flights full of people from Afghanistan

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Grip it and rip it posted:

Those don't look like flights full of people from Afghanistan

How are you landing on that conclusion? I can use my jump to conclusions mat and assume you’re saying that because they don’t appear to be folks originally from the region, but thought it would be worthwhile letting you explain.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

fool of sound posted:

Turns out there is more to victory than subtracting the enemies casualties from your own and getting a positive sum.

I agree. We haven't won any victory in Afghanistan. We've failed at the stupid, poorly thought out and poorly executed nation-building campaign of 20 years.

The poster I was responding to, however, said Biden would suffer because of "humiliating military defeats" and I just don't see that. The Taliban took over the country because nobody opposed them. We did not fight them, we let them take it. We're not being driven out on the point of a sword, we're giving up, correctly and way too late, on a poorly conceived goal that was probably never possible in the first place.

If we did indeed suffer humiliating military defeats in battle that led to this and I just haven't heard about them then I'm open to learning.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

LostRook posted:

If they only wanted to build roads to exploit minerals, you'd figured they'd have done that.

I don't think the US built a single mine in Afghanistan. Bit late now.

Why do you figure that? Building roads out into the country side is a huge indefensible target for people to blow up, which happened quite a lot. Let alone building mines.

Just the attempt to do so was all we needed to say our presense there was "humanitarian" to justify the mil-industrial complex spending, and if we pulled it off, great. Money. The Taliban is already making money off mining, it's assumed.

By this logic, if the US wanted to build human rights protections, you'd figure they'd have done that.

The US built what it wanted, which was a money making operation for anyone who makes money off our gigantic military.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Love our hosed up country that even after a debacle this embarrassing there's approximately a 0% chance that a single politician will even bring up hey maybe we should spend less on the military.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Jaxyon posted:

if the united states did not care about human rights, it would not have spent two decades pouring money into afghanistan’s civil society, promoting the rights of women, and trying to foster a democratic society. obviously much of its work was flawed. obviously concessions were made and there were projects that wound up funneling resources into the hands of kleptocrats and shady dc consultants. but the insinuation that the entire apparatus of the us government—alongside hundreds of ngos and state partners—“never cared” and was cackling menacingly is a child’s conception of international affairs. it is a flattening of the situation to fit into a simplistic, easily digestible narrative.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

uPen posted:

Love our hosed up country that even after a debacle this embarrassing there's approximately a 0% chance that a single politician will even bring up hey maybe we should spend less on the military.
Perhaps.... if we DOUBLE the military budget we can speed run our next embarrassing military adventure in half the time!

Think of the savings!

QuoProQuid posted:

if the united states did not care about human rights, it would not have spent two decades pouring money into afghanistan’s civil society, promoting the rights of women, and trying to foster a democratic society. obviously much of its work was flawed. obviously concessions were made and there were projects that wound up funneling resources into the hands of kleptocrats and shady dc consultants. but the insinuation that the entire apparatus of the us government—alongside hundreds of ngos and state partners—“never cared” and was cackling menacingly is a child’s conception of international affairs. it is a flattening of the situation to fit into a simplistic, easily digestible narrative.

We cared about it insomuch as those things are very useful at preventing a client nation's puppet government from collapsing as you rob them blind. Had there been nothing to pillage we would have bounced forever ago.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 17, 2021

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

Why do you figure that? Building roads out into the country side is a huge indefensible target for people to blow up, which happened quite a lot. Let alone building mines.

Just the attempt to do so was all we needed to say our presense there was "humanitarian" to justify the mil-industrial complex spending, and if we pulled it off, great. Money. The Taliban is already making money off mining, it's assumed.

By this logic, if the US wanted to build human rights protections, you'd figure they'd have done that.

The US built what it wanted, which was a money making operation for anyone who makes money off our gigantic military.

You said they only built roads for mineral exploitation now you're saying they not only didn't exploit minerals, they didn't build roads either?

What?

Sedisp posted:

We cared about it insomuch as those things are very useful at preventing a client nation's puppet government from collapsing as you rob them blind. Had there been nothing to pillage we would have bounced forever ago.

How is promoting women's rights useful at "preventing a client nation's puppet government from collapsing as you rob them blind" because I don't see it.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 17, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

QuoProQuid posted:

"The US cares very much about human rights, it's just super incompetent" sure is a take.

A budget is a moral document. Where did most of the 2.25 Trillion go?

LostRook posted:

You said they only built roads for mineral exploitation now you're saying they not only didn't exploit minerals, they didn't build roads either?

What?

Everyone building roads mostly wants the infrastructure for economic exploitation to exist, but since that's not great PR they always say it's to help the poor villagers who mostly don't give a poo poo about new roads.

They built roads. Then the roads got blown up, which means we spend more money building roads. The money is in the contractor grift, and the main military grift. If we actually got some roads to stick and our political control to stick, sure we could do some mineral exploitation and that's great.

But you're right, the roads weren't there just for the mineral wealth. They were also contractor grift

vvv Yeah every once in a while a true believer wanders into these discussions.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 17, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

QuoProQuid posted:

Holy loving poo poo! :roflolmao:

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

If the united states DID care about human rights why did it spend two decades telling our troops there to ignore and allow children to be sold and traded as sex slaves? Calling that work "flawed" misses the mark to me.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

QuoProQuid posted:

Yeah you're right if the United States government cared about human rights they would have never sent out giant lists of people to be killed by the special forces. They also wouldn't have sanctioned getting canoed and allowed any Gallagher to go free after killing literally hundreds of old people and children.

I don't really understand this take and it must be one that is completely mired in neoliberalism. I mean how can you say that these blood sucking mongrels who just wanted to increase the amount of oil coming out of Iraq and increase the body count in Afghanistan cared about human rights?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

LostRook posted:

How is promoting women's rights useful at "preventing a client nation's puppet government from collapsing as you rob them blind" because I don't see it.

The more egalitarian a society the less likely it is to create eager recruits for extremist organization. Perhaps for example a religious fundamentalist organization recently deposed?

And for that sweet sweet PR

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah you're right if the United States government cared about human rights they would have never sent out giant lists of people to be killed by the special forces. They also wouldn't have sanctioned getting canoed and allowed any Gallagher to go free after killing literally hundreds of old people and children.

I don't really understand this take and it must be one that is completely mired in neoliberalism. I mean how can you say that these blood sucking mongrels who just wanted to increase the amount of oil coming out of Iraq and increase the body count in Afghanistan cared about human rights?

Listen despite all evidence to the contrary staring me right in the face, we're the good guys. You see, I never grew beyond a 3rd grade hagiography of the country I live in.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Sedisp posted:

The more egalitarian a society the less likely it is to create eager recruits for extremist organization. Perhaps for example a religious fundamentalist organization recently deposed?

And for that sweet sweet PR

What percentage of Americans voted for Trump?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Tbh if you find yourself asking "why would the US do this uncharacteristically good thing in a foreign nation if they didn't want to do good things" you're kind of answering the question.

LostRook posted:

What percentage of Americans voted for Trump?

Under a quarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Well that's their moral dilemma, but I know conservatives with bad-faith arguments honestly do not care since it literally goes against their MAGA rallycry and 'America First' principles, since ending a twenty year war abroad does exactly that; focuses on America First over a foreign nation.

This whole messy ordeal is gonna get drawn and quartered over the next few weeks, with the GOP using it as the golden opportunity to attack Biden they've been clamoring for all year. And it hugely sucks because another conflict will yet again be trivialized to a couple of debate bullet points like something you'd see on a amateur debate team.

yeah and i didnt mean to trivilize it into that. its just interesting seeing shitholes like R/conservative agree more with us on basic idea (war bad, glad we left and should have years ago) then they are the weird trumpist/gop/fox godhead which is trying to 180 on the issue because "wow extracting a nation from a 20 year failure quagmire doesn't end well and in some hosed up ways, it could have been way worse then it is right now" is to complext and self critical for the GOP or most of america in general.