Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Rhyno posted:

I'm vaxxed and wear masks stille, ill just bubble boy up and head to the Ole cineplex

Just drive out to the middle of nowhere. I head up to Monroe Michigan, there were like maybe 12 people spread out across their one stadium theater for Suicide Squad opening night. Still wore my mask obviously but I wasn't near anyone and I still had good seats.

Gone are the days of waiting an extra hour in line on opening night only to end up last in the row near the back or even worse all the way in front, I have returned to the casual moviegoing experience of my youth(till the theater closes and then I'm on my own again)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If a theatre isn’t reserved seating then it’s not worth your money. gently caress rush seating.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't remember the last time I went to a movie with rush seating.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Perhaps the last time I experienced that was in the early 2000's. Then Cinepolis started doing the reserved seats thing and lol the first years there was a lot of fighting before the movies started as lots of people were so used to sit wherever they wanted. I made myself some folks angry for telling they were in my seat.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Last time I was in an open seating, non-recliner theatre was visiting my girlfriend’s mom for Christmas and we went to her local place in Southern California for Last Jedi. We wound up in the nosebleeds surrounded by families with screaming rambunctious pre-adolescent boys who ran around and fought with each other the entire time. After 30 minutes of that misery I got us out of there and paid for cushy seats at the nicer theatre across town. Never again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My local chain switched to assigned seating around when they remodeled and got rid of the stadium seating for recliners. So that probably helped the changeover.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Quebec mandated reserved seating as part of the reopening permission for theaters. Unclear if it will remain after though.

I rarely went to any that weren’t already using reserved though.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Most cinemas in the UK I've been to have been using assigned seating for as long as I can remember, apart from the (formally) lovely one that was local to me before moving out, and that was only towards the end when it was practically falling apart from neglect with the old owners. Once it got a multi-million pound refit they went back to assigned seating, probably because they added sofas and recliners though.

In terms of pandemic seating, I noticed both cinemas I went to recently (for Black Widow and The Suicide Squad) automatically block off seats between groups of people. When I brought my seat it blocked off the ones either side of me, I'm sure if I brought multiple it would have let me buy like two or three or whatever next to each other and then blocked off the seats on either end of the group.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s what the systems here do.

2 seats each on the left and right sides of your group in the same row, and then the 2 seats each in front and back, which of course does have some overlap when it’s 2+ in a group because of the way theaters have offset rows.

So for each single seat sold they have up to 9 blocked off seats depending where in the row you pick.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

We have 2 theaters here, one with recliners and one without, and I just can't do without anymore. Even without the extra distance I just need that leg room
Can't wait until that's the norm

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Retro Futurist posted:

We have 2 theaters here, one with recliners and one without, and I just can't do without anymore. Even without the extra distance I just need that leg room
Can't wait until that's the norm
Yeah some friends of ours bought tickets to go to the AMC theater that is just regular seating, and after going to our local Regal which has the fancy recliner seats, I'll never go back to the AMC again

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I used to have two theaters close by right next to each other that closed right at the start of the pandemic (one of them was immediately torn down to build condos so it was in the works for a while). They had cheap, lovely non-assigned seats. I have a Cinemark worth traveling to with an IMAX theater, though. Assigned seats everywhere. They upgraded all the non-IMAX seats with recliners a while back, and during the pandemic got some better non-reclining seats for their IMAX theater, so it's much better.

Unfortunately, I don't drink soda and that theater no longer serves lemonade, so I have to go with water whenever I watch something there :argh:

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
I watch movie on my phome

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

ilikedirt posted:

I watch movie on my phome

My phone has a higher max resolution than my laptop screen, so maybe I should start doing this as well. 🤔

Just try to stop me, David Lynch.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Got to see Suicide Squad this weekend - pretty good, solid B.

Question though - What the hell is Flagg doing working for/with Waller? He's not really the moral center, and most people who oppose Waller either need to be huge powerhouses or have enough leverage on her to make her blink. He's not a prisoner of Belle Rev, so presumably he's on Task Force X voluntarily. And it's not like he gets his kicks out of putting the squad through hell. He seems to actually care that the team make it through in one piece.

In the first movie it kind of makes sense that he be involved since his girlfriend is kind of the villain, so he has her survival on his list. But in this movie, this series, what is his motivation? We know he's not doing this for "the right reasons" be cause he doesn't even know what the mission really is. And he knows Waller well enough that there's at least a bit of nefarious poo poo going on.

So why is he there on these missions. Someone without a bomb in his skull has to be on the team and see the mission through to completion?

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

He’s a black ops soldier and it’s a black ops team, I don’t think it really goes any deeper than that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, he's not on the team in the first film because of his girlfriend. She's his girlfriend because he was already on the team. Waller uses her to motivate him and get his loyalty but clearly his primary motivation is to '"duty" and he's no stranger to shady military poo poo.

And yes, he's there so there's someone who might actually follow orders and keep the team on task.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I did find it weird how Waller sent him with the A team. He's her only actual, loyal soldier, and yet she sends him along on the literal suicide mission?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I assumed that once she found Peacemaker, somebody who would unquestioningly do whatever she asked and has nigh-metahuman combat prowess, Flagg became disposable.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Retro Futurist posted:

I did find it weird how Waller sent him with the A team. He's her only actual, loyal soldier, and yet she sends him along on the literal suicide mission?

There's an interview out there where Gunn says that the A-team were full of people that Waller hated and/or thought were useless. They were the distraction and set up to fail (though that doesn't make much sense with the way she was yelling at Savant but whatever) so the real team (B-team) could do the job. And she was setting up Peacemaker and/or Bloodsport to be the new leader(s). There was a cut scene where Flag made fun of something Waller was wearing, and that got him on her shitlist.

Honestly the way Waller acts doesn't make much sense when looked at closely.

And only one g. Flag. Rick Flag.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If there's one thing consistent between the Suicide Squad movies, it's that Waller makes terrible decisions, is bad at her job, and is a bigger psychopath than those she sends out on these missions. And Viola Davis does a great job playing her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWymUc7LqVM

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The United States posted:

If there's one thing consistent between the Suicide Squad movies, it's that Waller makes terrible decisions, is bad at her job, and is a bigger psychopath than those she sends out on these missions. And Viola Davis does a great job playing her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWymUc7LqVM

Man this scene made no loving sense

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was really hoping that scene would repeat in the new one if only to get Steve Agee out of the DCU (I usually like the guy but he was pretty awful in this, and I already know he’s supposed to be in the Peacemaker show. I’m not looking forward to it).

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
David ayer fuckin sucks lmao

Those leaks are definitely fake but theyre so lovely that they are passable, that dude sucks

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I still wish they had signed Oprah like the rumors said.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've always been kind of bothered by the idea of Waller as the Big Stupid Evil Inept Bad Person Who Does Everything Wrong because it feels like it defeats what is actually interesting about the character, which is that she is an absolutely stone-cold rock-iron Wall of a person who is willing to do what is necessary even if it seems awful, but that she is also effective because of this. The trend to just write her as the most inept dumbo stupidface ever is lazy and avoid having to actually write something interesting with the character. It's also extra weird because she's a character archetype who almost never gets respect (heavyset black woman in a position of power) and basically the only one of note the in the entire lily-white DC universe so making her the dumbest dumbface who can't do anything right feels pretty gross.

I understand wanting to avoid writing the government spook who engaged in extrajudicial actions in any way that might be remotely construed as positive but there's ways to do that, they just take more effort and thought than 'lol harley quinn showed up the big fat lady again!!"

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I've always been kind of bothered by the idea of Waller as the Big Stupid Evil Inept Bad Person Who Does Everything Wrong because it feels like it defeats what is actually interesting about the character, which is that she is an absolutely stone-cold rock-iron Wall of a person who is willing to do what is necessary even if it seems awful, but that she is also effective because of this. The trend to just write her as the most inept dumbo stupidface ever is lazy and avoid having to actually write something interesting with the character. It's also extra weird because she's a character archetype who almost never gets respect (heavyset black woman in a position of power) and basically the only one of note the in the entire lily-white DC universe so making her the dumbest dumbface who can't do anything right feels pretty gross.

I understand wanting to avoid writing the government spook who engaged in extrajudicial actions in any way that might be remotely construed as positive but there's ways to do that, they just take more effort and thought than 'lol harley quinn showed up the big fat lady again!!"

Hard Woman Making Hard Decisions While Hard is as boring as Hard Man Making Hard Decisions While Hard always was, admitting that the people who think they are that hard man are mostly actually just evil shitheads is genuinely more interesting to me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I haven't seen it yet...is Waller actually written to be legit dumb and ineffective in this film? They're not still going with the badass prison warden (:barf:) shtick?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
She's portrayed exactly as a "badass prison warden" should be: a heartless pragmatic monster who flips out when her illusion of control finally slips

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

She isn't written to be stupid, per se. Just
explicitly evil.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the thing about waller is that the only screen time she has is when she's being a complete rear end in a top hat to everybody and a monstrous psycho who's just as bad as the villains and there's nothing fleshing her out to be... maybe not sympathetic, but there's nothing there for the audience to connect to, so she's just a huge piece of poo poo. which is why you end up rooting for her team when they deck her rear end with a golf club

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hmm~

Well, to me, if a characters' going to be depicted as Hard Person Making Hard Decisions While Hard (I like this moniker and I'm gonna force it to catch on!), then the hard poo poo they do has to actually work. If they're just doing a buncha randomly questionable dumb things that blow up in everyone's faces, it doesn't make sense anymore that everyone just keeps on letting them do questionable dumb things.

I mean if she's just fuckin' up all the time and Batman doesn't actually shut her down like he threatened to, then like...what's Batman doing. What's keepin' him.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Waller's not big dumb stupidhead in either of the films, it's just that she represents the united states carceral state AND the military industrial complex AND secretive intelligence agencies, so she's inept in all of the ways we've seen that these large secretive bureaucracies are in real life, including underestimating her enemies, undermining her allies, and valuing covering up the truth over doing the right thing. She's also her own worst enemy in the first film explicitly, where the metahuman she and the entire military leadership relied upon is unleashed to wreak havoc and devastate our military bases and secret intelligence sites alike across the globe (the locations of which are known thanks to Waller herself).

The competent Waller who is morally questionable but will do the right thing and help the Justice League against the REAL enemy may exist in the Justice League cartoon and some of the comics, but the movies (and the arrowverse and the direct-to-video cartoons) are too cynical for that version to exist.

BrianWilly posted:

I mean if she's just fuckin' up all the time and Batman doesn't actually shut her down like he threatened to, then like...what's Batman doing. What's keepin' him.
One thing consistent with Waller between the versions is that Batman is afraid of her.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 17, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

Hard Woman Making Hard Decisions While Hard is as boring as Hard Man Making Hard Decisions While Hard always was, admitting that the people who think they are that hard man are mostly actually just evil shitheads is genuinely more interesting to me.

While I would normally agree this argument falls apart almost entirely when you're discussing a universe where the most popular and effective character is the rich white billionaire who is willing to do illegal things (usually violence) that the people constrained by the law can't do. There is a reason Waller and Batman so often come to a head and that is because they are very close to being the same person.

I don't really have any time for the argument that they have to portray the only black woman to get any screentime as an evil inept moron because that's more Realistic in the same universe as Batman, especially because the Batman in that particular universe is the kind of guy who is absolutely fuckin' willing to murder a dude if he feels it is necessary.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 17, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You're kind of missing that the Hard Man Making Hard Decisions thing is more of an aesthetic thing that Batman doesn't necessarily fall into 100% of the time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

You're kind of missing that the Hard Man Making Hard Decisions thing is more of an aesthetic thing that Batman doesn't necessarily fall into 100% of the time.

Neither does Waller when she is well written is the thing.

Batman's aesthetic is absolutely Hard Man Making Hard Decisions though. It is why he's portrayed as the scary one who people are afraid of even when they don't flinch in front of Superman. He's the dude who regularly tortures people, has plans to murder everyone he meets, and is frequently portrayed as being a scary cruel motherfucker even in his lightest non-Adam-West incarnations. And in the current DC he's the kind of guy who is basically defined as doing the Hard Thing.

What makes a well-written Waller work is that at her absolute core she is someone who wants to protect people and will do what it takes. This is again why she is an interesting foil for Batman because they are extremely similar characters who can be opposed without one side being cartoonishly evil. It would be lovely if that was possible without her being the head of a black ops agency but this is an ongoing problem with superheroes in general because the framework of superheroes tends to favor that exact sort of thing. Hell, even Nick Fury gets to be written as The Cool Guy even when he screws up as often as Waller, but Waller's the one who needs to be cartoonishly inept.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 17, 2021

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Neither does Waller when she is well written is the thing.

Yes she does.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Let me rephase that.

"She does not fall into it any more than any superhero who is framed as being a tough person for the sake of protecting people." That doesn't apply to every superhero but it sure applies to a lot of them, especially the Daredevils and Batmen of the universe.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Nick Fury can be like that when he's got Nathan Muir and Cy Tolliver to represent the higher ups in the system that even he, company man that he is, ultimately has to go against. If they wanted to do the same for Waller they would have to have her report to, say, Jim Hopper from the briefing room scene, and have her complain about it being their decision to unleash the enchantress, and that she has to clean up the mess they made. Have him be the one they have to try (and fail) to rescue, have him be the one responsible for enchantress destroying all the military and intelligence installations. Stuff like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2wEe0kS1OY

Let someone else represent American power, and let her be a (somewhat) well intentioned cog in the machine. But Ayer made his choices and Gunn followed through.

ImpAtom posted:

Let me rephase that.

"She does not fall into it any more than any superhero who is framed as being a tough person for the sake of protecting people." That doesn't apply to every superhero but it sure applies to a lot of them, especially the Daredevils and Batmen of the universe.
I don't think that's what the HARD MEN MAKING HARD CHOICES trope is referring to at all.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 17, 2021