Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

tactlessbastard posted:

For those of you who remember my Angry Boss saga....

I got a text from him out of the blue today:

I guess he's in some kind of program.

Either that he got Covid and is making amends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

I don't know what's worse. The fact this even exists on our share, or the multiple copies of it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

That’s a classic step 9 message

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Wifi Toilet posted:

I don't know what's worse. The fact this even exists on our share, or the multiple copies of it.

I think the fact that theyre are xls instead of xlsx is just the little cherry on top of that. im also surprised there isn't one with the same name but .csv

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Fool posted:

That’s a classic step 9 message

The God-guilting is a classic AA sign. If it was COVID it'd be more personal and less coached from a stock template.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The God-guilting is a classic AA sign. If it was COVID it'd be more personal and less coached from a stock template.

Yup. You are not obligated to respond to this sort of thing.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, that rang true for me too, but for all his manifold faults, I am almost certain he's not a drinker.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

tactlessbastard posted:

For those of you who remember my Angry Boss saga....

I got a text from him out of the blue today:

I guess he's in some kind of program.

I have noticed the biggest assholes I have ever encountered could change on a dime when they felt their livelihood was threatened. You would hope its sincere.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sickening posted:

I have noticed the biggest assholes I have ever encountered could change on a dime when they felt their livelihood was threatened. You would hope its sincere.

It would be nice but that's not how narcissists work. Everything they do is a manipulation to make them the center of attention.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

tactlessbastard posted:

Yeah, that rang true for me too, but for all his manifold faults, I am almost certain he's not a drinker.
Might he have been a huge rear end in a top hat to the wrong person at work and got sent to a 12-step program for rageaholics or something?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...%20from%20them.

You can setup exchange to autoadd ics objects so you can side skirt your manual ops moron dev.

Also you could make a sharepoint list, make every of your target sub to it and then add the calendar objects there(so you make a single event in your batch rather than multiple).

We use the second method to handle change management here.

I managed to figure out how to format the message as a proper Outlook calendar invite. You have to add the VCal data as an "alternative view". Fairly easy as I was using system.net.mail.mailmessage, so just add alternativeview objects instead of attachment objects.

Today's fuckwit is a user who sent me a message of hey is (external supplier)s FTP account still active. The details I have are username:reallylongpassw****@ftp.company.com I've redacted the last four characters of the password for security.

Well that password might've been valid, hosed if I know, but it's not valid any more because you just reduced its security to that of a four character password and CCd it to a bunch of people, so now I gotta reset it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

He already got fired 2 years ago so :shrug:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

MustardFacial posted:

Backstory:

I'm trying to increase disk space on a Linux VM, LVM has not been configured and instead all of the drives are single vmdk's mounted as separate drives and listed by their UUID's in /etc/fstab. I increase the size of the vmdk, unmount the drives, expand the partition, resize the filesystem, and run an fsck just to make sure everything is ok.

running the fsck just gives pages and pages of "bad superblock" and "inode missing" and "superblock backup corrupted" and I can't remount the drives, and no amount of restoring backup superlocks or moving inodes is fixing it. so I grumble something about how it should be using LVM and go to just restore a backup of this server so it can go back into production and I can do some research and figure out another way to do this. Except I can't RDP to the backup server and I notice in the vmware console that all of the usernames are of a different format than our usual domain names. So I ask my co-worker what's up with this, he sends me a link to our password manager and the following exchange occurs:

Their entire backup infrastructure is not domain-joined. Anyone who needs access to it uses the global local admin account to make themselves a local admin account

:yikeseroo:

Between this, the lack of LVM, and a thousand other little things I'm starting to question whether this environment is actually bad or if my standards are just too high.

Update to this:

I brought this issue up in the team status report today and one of the other guy piped up saying he has seen this before and had a solution. So we chat about it offline, his solution?

1. Copy all of the files on that partition to a safe space
2. Delete the partition
3. Remake it at the new size
4. Put all of the files back.

If I wasn't in this position, I would've found it hilarious.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Lum posted:

Well that password might've been valid, hosed if I know, but it's not valid any more because you just reduced its security to that of a four character password and CCd it to a bunch of people, so now I gotta reset it.

We just had a vendor do that to us a couple weeks ago. We had an issue with a service on a new system not starting after a maintenance reboot, and apparently they only read as far as "logon failure" in the error log. Log on as a service rights? What's that? Better email "Please try using password XXXX for username $ServiceAccount" to the whole project team instead. Now we have to go change it in like a dozen places, thanks.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

loving ManageEngine service desk and it’s ADSync tool. Apparently it needs to use the administrator account and will silently fail if using a different account. We asked support about setting up a generic LDAP lookup account but apparently using an account named administrator is the only option they support. WTF.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I'm doing a PoC eval with Bomgar/BeyondTrust Remote Support. After multiple emails back and forth with my technical point of contact about our failures to get past UAC, their support team has responded

Bomgar Support posted:

We won't troubleshoot edge cases or tell you what your GPOs or UAC permissions should be. But it should work if you set User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode to 'Elevate without prompting'

Well. It doesn't. And we're pretty standard in terms of UAC permissions, just about all of them are in line with MS defaults. :sigh: Any other recommendations for remote support tools that can do some kind of credential injection for getting past UAC?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My last job used dame ware and it was fine I guess

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Yeah dameware is good. I think the credentials you use to connect have to have domain admin rights in order to bypass UAC stuff, if I remember correctly.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
In our monthly status meeting, the CIO told me he received the feedback IT wasn't fraternizing (for want of a better term) enough with the rest of the office. Apparently we need to make more small talk and socialize. There's only three of us and we're supporting the group IT projects and infrastructure for a 2000 man company (some of the other sites have local IT) so we spend most of our time talking to people on other sites. Okay, I guess?

(Yes, I'm well aware of the need of IT to come across as persons rather than tech/support dispensers or social recluses but that doesn't change the fact we're dealing with the complete company on a daily basis, not just one site.)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Happiness Commando posted:

I'm doing a PoC eval with Bomgar/BeyondTrust Remote Support. After multiple emails back and forth with my technical point of contact about our failures to get past UAC, their support team has responded

Well. It doesn't. And we're pretty standard in terms of UAC permissions, just about all of them are in line with MS defaults. :sigh: Any other recommendations for remote support tools that can do some kind of credential injection for getting past UAC?

I think the "correct" way is to set up the uac prompt as "prompt for credential" or "prompt for confirm", elevate without confirmation tends to fail easily

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

Update to this:

I brought this issue up in the team status report today and one of the other guy piped up saying he has seen this before and had a solution. So we chat about it offline, his solution?

1. Copy all of the files on that partition to a safe space
2. Delete the partition
3. Remake it at the new size
4. Put all of the files back.

If I wasn't in this position, I would've found it hilarious.

You kinda glossed over your procedure - can you provide a full(er) description of how you resized the disk? What distro; hot add or no? Are the original disk sizes reported as whole numbers(in vcenter)? Can you svmotion the original disk(s)?

For the sake of completeness…/s

Skyline Health Diagnostics (SHD) is a tool that analyses log files to detect known issues and recommend solutions/KBs. Benefits include:
Instant resolution to known issues that occur in your vCenter/vSphere environment
Significant reduction of time and efforts in resolving issues faced by Admins
Stability of your vSphere environments
It is highly secure and doesn’t require online connectivity. Please visit here for more details on SHD, including downloading and installation of this tool.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

SlowBloke posted:

I think the "correct" way is to set up the uac prompt as "prompt for credential" or "prompt for confirm", elevate without confirmation tends to fail easily

It's set to prompt for confirm, which is windows default, on all of our machines. When that failed, I set it to always elevate and that still failed.

I'm fine with acknowledging that our UAC setup is weird or idiosyncratic, if that's the case. I'm more disappointed that their support standpoint is 'gently caress you, we have no documentation and no guidance to offer about what our product requires to work. Good luck troubleshooting it yourself, rear end in a top hat.'

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

ScreenConnect (ConnectWise Control) never had an issue with this IIRC. I don't recall the particulars (been years since that job) but I remotely did stuff requiring UAC all the time without issue, but we had the ScreenConnect agent running on all our machines already. Obviously a different situation for those "on demand" support sessions where unprivileged users are downloading and running the support session executable.

I'll never stop raving about ScreenConnect; it was (and probably is still) great software and I never had a single significant issue with it.

Edit: they've got a video showing privilege escalation/credential injection so seems right up your alley.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 17, 2021

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

There was praise today for us having the person who starts on Monday's office ready with both a computer and phone, before he started. First one in a long time I guess.

Spoke to soon! HR visited us at the end of the day yesterday (Monday), "We spelled his name wrong can you change it?"

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

It's set to prompt for confirm, which is windows default, on all of our machines. When that failed, I set it to always elevate and that still failed.

I'm fine with acknowledging that our UAC setup is weird or idiosyncratic, if that's the case. I'm more disappointed that their support standpoint is 'gently caress you, we have no documentation and no guidance to offer about what our product requires to work. Good luck troubleshooting it yourself, rear end in a top hat.'

The default is prompt to confirm on secure desktop which makes the pop up not clickable unless you are running the remote control software as admin. Prompt to confirm(without secure desktop) makes us able to use quick assist, teams screen share or sccm remote control without any incident.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

SlowBloke posted:

The default is prompt to confirm on secure desktop which makes the pop up not clickable unless you are running the remote control software as admin. Prompt to confirm(without secure desktop) makes us able to use quick assist, teams screen share or sccm remote control without any incident.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/security-policy-settings/user-account-control-behavior-of-the-elevation-prompt-for-administrators-in-admin-approval-mode posted:

Prompt for consent for non-Windows binaries

This is the default. When an operation for a non-Microsoft application requires elevation of privilege, the user is prompted on the secure desktop to select Permit or Deny. If the user selects Permit, the operation continues with the user's highest available privilege.

That's 0x5 in the registry, what I was set at. The secure allow/deny option is 0x2. Elevate without prompting is 0x0, which also failed for us. I never bothered testing the secure option, because security is for production systems.

Edit: I guess this means we are a weird edge case, but I dont understand how or why.

Double edit: ah gently caress. Prompted on the secure desktop.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 17, 2021

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

you ate my cat posted:

We just had a vendor do that to us a couple weeks ago. We had an issue with a service on a new system not starting after a maintenance reboot, and apparently they only read as far as "logon failure" in the error log. Log on as a service rights? What's that? Better email "Please try using password XXXX for username $ServiceAccount" to the whole project team instead. Now we have to go change it in like a dozen places, thanks.

Ahh another thing that pisses me off. Vendors requiring service accounts, and not supporting it if you use a gMSA

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Good news: We're posting a job for a helpdesk tech

Bad news: They want a bachelors and 4-6 years experience

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I share an office with a contractor who does helpdesk etc. Someone comes in with two sales guys. I'm clearly on a call (headset, Teams on screen). They're being loud as poo poo.

They can't get an iPhone off silent.

I mute my call. "Hit the switch on the side of the phone"

They still can't figure it out.

lol iphones suck! androids are better!
laughing, just being loud

:rolleyes:

After about five minutes they realize the case on the phone covers the button so you have to pop out the little panel to access it.

Why would they put it there! That's so dumb! iPhones are stupid! Android is better! Hahahah!

Then my boss went into a schpiel about how he wants to switch us over to Androids because security is better and he also wants to switch us to Tmobile (who has terrrible coverage in our area) :argh:

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

Bob Morales posted:

I share an office with a contractor who does helpdesk etc. Someone comes in with two sales guys. I'm clearly on a call (headset, Teams on screen). They're being loud as poo poo.

They can't get an iPhone off silent.

I mute my call. "Hit the switch on the side of the phone"

They still can't figure it out.

lol iphones suck! androids are better!
laughing, just being loud

:rolleyes:

After about five minutes they realize the case on the phone covers the button so you have to pop out the little panel to access it.

Why would they put it there! That's so dumb! iPhones are stupid! Android is better! Hahahah!

Then my boss went into a schpiel about how he wants to switch us over to Androids because security is better and he also wants to switch us to Tmobile (who has terrrible coverage in our area) :argh:

Maybe get a better loving case and learn to use the poo poo you have? I'm an Android user and have been for most of my cellphone having life, but the little mute switch on the iPhones are amazing.

On that note, getting an iPhone from my new job - screw having company poo poo on my personal phone. Only been in this new job 2 weeks as of this Friday, but I gotta say, that move has been fantastic :yotj:.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I am not carrying two phones. I am just not.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

100%. Give me android work profile with a soft phone app and that's about all I'm willing to accept. Let's me toggle work on and off.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Sickening posted:

This is the entire impetus for me buying dual sim phones.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Work gives us a cellphone stipend. I still don't hand out my cell number. I direct everyone to my office line (which is forwarded), and block my cell number whenever I call someone. A lot of my colleagues have put their personal number out there over time, and they have users calling them directly after-hours.

Definitely ain't getting two phones.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Bob Morales posted:

Guess who just had a data breach? https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/18/tech/t-mobile-data-breach/index.html

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have my own Android phone with dual sim and a company iPhone. I use the company phone strictly for PagerDuty for oncall duty and Spotify since the corporate plan has 5GB data a month and it would be a shame to not use it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

An eSIM for the work number and a decent handset every couple of years but you can bring your own SIM with your personal plan on would be my ideal way to handle work phones.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

I got the iPhone 12 Mini and questioned my decision until I was issued the iPhone XR. To make it even more annoying it's in an Otterbox.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I got the iPhone 12 Mini and questioned my decision until I was issued the iPhone XR. To make it even more annoying it's in an Otterbox.

I would forward calls and texts from the phone and leave it on a charger, never to be used any other way again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have a work cell phone and just leave it on my desk, it’s not even charged