Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Jag will look better broken down in your yard than the Civic will look running on the street. Get the Jag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

https://www.xcessivemanufacturing.com/jaguar.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGNHFDdXp-o

Definitely get the Jaaaaaaag.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So something nice happened yesterday. I was out and about with a friend on a country road when we suddenly came upon a strange car parked in someone's driveway near the road. It was from the 1970s and painted a dingy orange, but otherwise was mysterious. Just on impulse, I pulled into the driveway so I could read what was on the back of this car. It was only then I noticed an old man in the front yard, doing some renovating on his house. Slightly embarrased, I apoligised to the man for pulling into his driveway, but he beckoned us in when I said I just wanted to see what the dingy orange car was.

The man, last name Fudge, was fortunately quite amenable and happy to show us what was a 1974 AMC Hornet. Wikipedia has a picture of the model year in that orange:

The thing was a renegade survivor: bought, driven for awhile, the put away for decades with just 44,000 km. Mr. Fudge had bought it recently, and actually got the thing registered and safetied, before a series of small engine problems stopped it; right now it needs a new starter solenoid. The Hornet was a base model, with I think the larger of the two Ford straight sixes. All-wheel drum brakes, with a dual circuit brake system. Dog-dish hubcaps on 14" wheels. I could see a little rust at the bottom of the engine mounts, but aside from that the metal looked to be in great shape. Mr. Fudge was even kind enough to let me sit in the driver's seat . Two impressions: first, surprisingly low to the ground. Second: I'm not a moose of a man, but the space to me was constrained, with my head almost touching the ceiling.

Also: speaking of renegade survivors, this has to be far rarer than, say, a Lamborghini Miura:

1986 HYUNDAI PONY L

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/cambridge/1986-hyundai-pony-l/m1581743

zero kms

Do not wait any longer, and come see this classic and historic 1986 Hyundai Pony at our Cambridge Hyundai Dealership today!
This vintage vehicle is in a perfect working condition and is ready to take you back in time to deliver you an unforgettable driving experience.
This Hyundai Pony is equipped by a 4 cylinder 1.4L engine matched with a 5 speed Manual transmission. It is in immaculate condition. This model comes in a an elegant Silver exterior complemented by a brand new Ambassador Blue cloth interior. It is equipped with AM/FM Push Button Radio with 2 Speakers, and AM/FM ETR Ent. Centre with 4 speakers. It also comes with original never opened catalog and car manual.
You will not find another original like this!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
The asking price on that Pony is a bit high I think.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
The 2 door version of that Hornet is a James Bond car thanks to one of the most ham fisted movie product placements of all time.

In The Man With a Golden Gun Bond steals one out of an AMC showroom that’s in Thailand somehow and chases Christopher Lee with it. It’s definitely one of the lesser Bond films but the car stunts are first rate.

It’s even in the Forza James Bond car pack.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Probably gone already, but if anyone in the LA area is looking for a Cherokee this is what appears to be a really clean deal:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/d/south-el-monte-2001-jeep-cherokee/7367242199.html

I just sold a 1988 with more miles than that for $4100. edit: missed that this appears to be a 2WD, but still a clean starting point for a 4WD swap

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 18, 2021

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Nebakenezzer posted:

1986 HYUNDAI PONY L

This is, without peer, the worst car ever made, IMHO. I'd take a grey market base Yugo over this. I'd take a PT Cruiser or convertible Murano over this.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I saw a stanced PT cruiser yesterday and it was bewildering to say the least. lowered, overfenders, wide wheels? weird

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

DoriDori240 posted:

This is, without peer, the worst car ever made, IMHO. I'd take a grey market base Yugo over this. I'd take a PT Cruiser or convertible Murano over this.

They say it’s better than the Eastern Bloc Skodas and the like, which is absolutely not true lmao. Miserable cars, the Stellar is not much better.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

This vintage vehicle is in a perfect working condition and is ready to take you back in time to deliver you an unforgettable driving experience.

I mean, at least they warn you in the post. Oh, you took unforgettable as a good thing there?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

This just happened. The first and second messages are five days apart and as you can see the ad says SOLD.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

This just happened. The first and second messages are five days apart and as you can see the ad says SOLD.

racism and anger toward a total stranger is always the correct solution.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Another Conquistador shows up taking our rightful RX-7s.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I... think he's upset at the thought that a Puerto Rican or Mexican got the car? I guess from posts on the ad itself? And just terrible at phone typing? WTF?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I thought maybe he was Spanish and was like “oh jokes on the Spanish guy then, huh???”

But really i can’t make any sense of it

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
mad rear end hell

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Ad says manuel transmission yet it clearly say GETRAG what the hell are you trying to pull here buddy!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Speaking of manuel transmissions, I hear these in two door with a stick are pretty rare these days. But oof them miles.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The 4.0 just getting broken in. As long as the head has a new casting.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

The 4.0 will be fine. The unibody will not. No matter how little rust is on that jeep it will never, ever, be a ‘tight’ vehicle again.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DoriDori240 posted:

My best friends dad growing up traded a Yugo in for a Pony.

Pretty sure he was a masochist.

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008

Me working on cars:

WAOW IAM IAM MAD rear end HELL

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

intheflesh posted:

Me working on cars:

WAOW IAM IAM MAD rear end HELL

Me doing anything. Baseline MAD rear end HELL

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Advent Horizon posted:

The 4.0 will be fine. The unibody will not. No matter how little rust is on that jeep it will never, ever, be a ‘tight’ vehicle again.

Its in GA, things don't rust there like they do in rustlandia. :10bux: on the door hinges needing to be stitched back onto the body though.
'96 should have a solid cylinder head. regardless throw a 8.8 under the rear and send it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I bought a 98 2 door 4.0 5spd in dark green back in the day. Had to look high and low for it. My first brand new vehicle. I loved it other than the open diffs.

I remember when I sold it (got a company vehicle) I started to notice some rust starting around the gas lid at 6 years which I thought was weird.. although now I guess that was to be expected. I wonder what happened to it. One of the only photos I have of it, from when I listed it for sale... in Autotrader via paper.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
KEEP PORTLAND WEIRD WITH KRAZY GLUE AND HANTAVIRUS!

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/portland-73-torino/7367650538.html

Alternately, I'm very sad I don't have the space to work on this:
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/d/beavercreek-1965-chrysler-300/7365362726.html

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I learned to drive stick in a Yugo. Almost everything in it was broken or breaking, and bits of the trim literally fell off while I was driving it.

...I still kind of want one just to say I had one. I mean I'll never have even close to the best car in the world, but maybe I could own one of the worst.

Actually I'm pretty sure the 1998 automatic Taurus I inherited was the worst car I'll ever own, because at least a Yugo is funny and interesting and good for a 'put it in H!' joke.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 20, 2021

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Me doing anything. Baseline MAD rear end HELL

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

I learned to drive stick in a Yugo. Almost everything in it was broken or breaking, and bits of the trim literally fell off while I was driving it.

...I still kind of want one just to say I had one. I mean I'll never have even close to the best car in the world, but maybe I could own one of the worst.

Actually I'm pretty sure the 1998 automatic Taurus I inherited was the worst car I'll ever own, because at least a Yugo is funny and interesting and good for a 'put it in H!' joke.

Had one. Bought it for $250. put many many thousands of miles on the thing. 3-4 fuel pumps. couple coolant pumps. Outside of the super cheap plastics breaking and electrical system tripping up in the rain it was a solid little car.

One of the (few) replacement engine powered mechanical fuel pumps broke off the loving block because of cheap casting. I pulled the tank sender which is right behind the front seats and dropped a EFI pump in. Of course weber carburetors don't want 40PSI+ so I wired it to the rear defroster and manually pulse width modulated the pump to make it the 20 miles home. I eventually had enough broken mechanical pumps to build one good unit and it never gave me another problem.

Every time it rained the little airscoop on the hood would grab enough water to soak the heater box, then would flood, sogging the alternator and fuse panel killing everything but the ignition.
Right when I got it the parking brake latching mechanism failed and it hauled rear end down a friends steep driveway and clocked a telephone pole loving the bodywork up pretty badly.

There was some obscure Italian/British parts supplier run by old gray beards in town that I became good friends with, the Yugo started the relationship. Rovers cemented it in.

I bought another Rover(I've had 11) and basically parked the thing when it just quit running at work. I had two other project cars and this one fell out of my focus. I sold it to some guys for dirt track racing uses, they got it running again with a new distributor cap.

It was a hilariously terrible little car yet completely awesome because of its inherent shortcomings. I'd own another. So many parts like struts and suspension bushings are no longer available. Just a fiat twincam swap would make it deadly fast.
The Yugo is far from the worst I've kept.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 21, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cursedshitbox posted:

Had one. Bought it for $250. put many many thousands of miles on the thing. 3-4 fuel pumps. couple coolant pumps. Outside of the super cheap plastics breaking and electrical system tripping up in the rain it was a solid little car.

One of the (few) replacement engine powered mechanical fuel pumps broke off the loving block because of cheap casting. I pulled the tank sender which is right behind the front seats and dropped a EFI pump in. Of course weber carburetors don't want 40PSI+ so I wired it to the rear defroster and manually pulse width modulated the pump to make it the 20 miles home. I eventually had enough broken mechanical pumps to build one good unit and it never gave me another problem.

Every time it rained the little airscoop on the hood would grab enough water to soak the heater box, then would flood, sogging the alternator and fuse panel killing everything but the ignition.
Right when I got it the parking brake latching mechanism failed and it hauled rear end down a friends steep driveway and clocked a telephone pole loving the bodywork up pretty badly.

There was some obscure Italian/British parts supplier run by old gray beards in town that I became good friends with, the Yugo started the relationship. Rovers cemented it in.

I bought another Rover(I've had 11) and basically parked the thing when it just quit running at work. I had two other project cars and this one fell out of my focus. I sold it to some guys for dirt track racing uses, they got it running again with a new distributor cap.

It was a hilariously terrible little car yet completely awesome because of its inherent shortcomings. I'd own another. So many parts like struts and suspension bushings are no longer available. Just a fiat twincam swap would make it deadly fast.

Username/post combo of the decade right here.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

Funny you should mention that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw2tqa8JcTE

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

someone pour some cold water on me, like everything about this screams "will outlast western civilization"

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
$690... :nice:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Looks like a perfect entry into Lemons.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Streets too gridlike to be the Lincoln in my state gently caress

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Driven 104,000 km
Automatic transmission
Exterior color: Burgundy

1991 jeep Cherokee licensed till May [hidden information] KM 4X4 power windows, AC and more asking $4500.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 28, 2021

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

That Jeep looking good.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I know little about Jeeps, but I thought so.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Snow in the background, in August, so where is all the rust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

That is the $6400 question. It's been for sale for quite awhile. Considering it's here and existing, maybe it has none?