Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

asdf32 posted:

The increase in Psych admissions is real.

“ Children's hospitals around the country say they have seen a meteoric rise in the number of children who need mental health help. Access to care, which was a problem before the pandemic, particularly for kids of color, has gotten much worse.

Several children's hospitals said the supply of inpatient psychiatric beds has been so short, they've had to board kids in their emergency departments -- sometimes for weeks.“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/07/22/health/covid-19-pandemic-mental-health-children/index.html

The increase in kids on ventilators is real too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

DickParasite posted:

The increase in kids on ventilators is real too.

Yep. We agree then.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Skrill.exe posted:

I got a kick out of all the folks saying we had to end the lockdowns to end the enormous wave of domestic violence that would ensue. Oddly I don't hear much concern for ending domestic violence these days so we must have solved it sometime during covid.

That is because they don’t want to increase CPS funding. There has been notable rise in the number of deaths of children attributed to abuse and/or neglect. Case reporting has not increased much but this is believed to be because kids aren’t around teachers and other adults (parents of friends, coaches, whoever) who might notice signs of abuse and report it.

I know the CASA program I used to volunteer for is begging all previous volunteer to come back. I wish I could. :(

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

asdf32 posted:

You taking your kid out of daycare is one thing. Others, likely childless with work from home jobs or a propensity for agoraphobia to begin with are advocating for system wide shutdowns until they feel personally safe. So gently caress them if they're doing that without taking into account who that hurts (everyone but the poor way more).

Yes a mask mandate, testing and reactive measures if cases spike. That’s what the science supports now.

Of course they’re sounding the alarm over covid. They’re also sounding the alarm over the adolescent mental health crisis and other negative impacts of remote learning and closures. All for good reason.

You’re trying to pivot to a strawman again (or maybe it's not even a strawman; you created a hypothetical person with hypothetical reasons); the context of the post that you responded to earlier was a couple deciding to pull their children out of daycare, not a childless WFH agoraphobiac advocating for school closures.

I don't see any actual experts using adolescent mental health as an excuse to keep schools open or as a motivation for parents to not keep kids at home when a community is experiencing a massive outbreak. If anything, I perceive a consensus around a mix of mask mandates combined with school closures that are triggered by either routine PCR testing producing too many positive results or the number of available pediatric ICU beds falling below some threshold. The fact that we're looking at a high likelihood to exceed pediatric ICU capacity even with mandates screams "keep your kids home for a bit", at least to me.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 17, 2021

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
How long is a bit, though? If we'd pulled our daughter out of daycare/preschool when this started, she would have missed almost 2 years. We're hoping things will maybe be in a better place next year when she gets to kindergarten, where we can hopefully get her vaccinated when she turns 5.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Carwash oval office posted:

My province in Canada is now creeping up on 85% of eligible people having at least one shot, so it is possible we are disagreeing from having totally different points of view about the situation on the ground. I don’t feel great about sending my young kids back to school, but Im also really not looking forward to them losing a 3rd year of childhood.

The American argument about either everything has to be shut down forever or opened unrestricted immediately is impossible to talk about. Especially when your stupid vaccination divide is going to keep things in limbo forever.

The vaccines help slow down the spread of COVID but they do not stop it. The whole problem with the Delta variant is that it spreads as easily among people who have been vaccinated as the original variant of COVID spreads among a population without vaccinations.

I don't need to tell you that children are not vaccinated at all against COVID right now. They don't even have that level of protection. They have masks (which are effective if good compliance and fit is achieved), they have social distancing (effective if there's good airflow to ensure that viral load exposure drops to sub-infectious levels), and they have social isolation (the most effective protection). Contact tracing will protect your community; it's a thing other people do to protect you, and is a necessary component of a mutli-line defense against pandemic, but it won't help your kids when someone in their classroom gets COVID.

I can't speak for everyone arguing against kids returning to school, but I can say that it is my belief that children will not follow mask protocols well enough to effectively protect themselves, that social distancing will not happen in a school setting, and that measures to ensure viral load in airborne droplets will either not be effective or will not be attempted by school districts. The effect of opening schools when children are not vaccinated will be to make a lot of children sick and a few unlucky children dead.

A Strange Aeon posted:

How long is a bit, though? If we'd pulled our daughter out of daycare/preschool when this started, she would have missed almost 2 years. We're hoping things will maybe be in a better place next year when she gets to kindergarten, where we can hopefully get her vaccinated when she turns 5.

Dude I wish I knew. I know most preschools and daycares have far smaller populations than full schools though. That's part of the problem in my opinion. More students means there's more opportunity for an infection to enter the population.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 17, 2021

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
At this point, I really fear for the long-term problems of keeping kids at home on computers for school. Socialization is a critical part of schooling and of a child's development. I'm playing devil's advocate here but at the same time, gently caress, we need to figure out this "vaccine for people under 12 years old" problem very soon.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Justin Godscock posted:

At this point, I really fear for the long-term problems of keeping kids at home on computers for school. Socialization is a critical part of schooling and of a child's development. I'm playing devil's advocate here but at the same time, gently caress, we need to figure out this "vaccine for people under 12 years old" problem very soon.

You know those weird adults that are awkward and too eager to please anyone that gives them positive attention? Those were the kids that were homeschooled that grew up and muddled through college. A generation of those won't be too bad. Won't be too good either, but I'd rather have them healthy and awkward than sick with long covid their whole lives or dead.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just lol if you think your kids aren't going to be hosed up from exposure to internet from birth :rolleyes:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Justin Godscock posted:

If they're vaccinated and masked, I don't really care if they're virtual or in person, though I still advocate for the former. Y'all are way overestimating how much socialization goes on at schools, especially positive socialization.

John_A_Tallon posted:

You know those weird adults that are awkward and too eager to please anyone that gives them positive attention? Those were the kids that were homeschooled that grew up and muddled through college. A generation of those won't be too bad. Won't be too good either, but I'd rather have them healthy and awkward than sick with long covid their whole lives or dead.

This really isn't true. There are way too many adults who do this for all of them to be homeschooled.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

John_A_Tallon posted:

Dude I wish I knew. I know most preschools and daycares have far smaller populations than full schools though. That's part of the problem in my opinion. More students means there's more opportunity for an infection to enter the population.

Delta being chicken pox level contagious, but not having everyone even show symptoms makes it seem impossible to run a normal year!

Despite my province being pretty good at vaccinations, I teach in a high school in a Covid denying area (low education levels and weird religious groups). I do expect this year to get bad. Last year was a mess because of contact tracing forcing large groups to stay home. That was with only half of the high school attending each day. This year we are back to normal, with optional but strongly recommended masks.

I guess we will be a good test site. More, but not all teachers will be vaccinated. Most EAs won’t. So, do I demand no unvaccinated adults in my class? I think I will try. Do I fight with students and force them to wear masks in my class? I don’t think it is worth the fight. I will just keep my distance and if they want help, mask up and I will help them. Will I do my regular coaching? gently caress no!

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

This really isn't true. There are way too many adults who do this for all of them to be homeschooled.

Maybe I live some sort of bizarre blessed existence or something, but the majority of people who behave like that who I have gotten to know have shared with me that they were homeschooled for a period of years as children.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If they're vaccinated and masked, I don't really care if they're virtual or in person, though I still advocate for the former. Y'all are way overestimating how much socialization goes on at schools, especially positive socialization.

You would HATE the way my school has been moving lately. A couple years ago, soft skills like innovation, working as a team and respecting others were the focus. For me, it was really useful (I never thought I’d say that about an education theory). I set up programming classes so kids at different levels don’t all have to work at the same pace. If they are on task, record their progress, act respectfully and can add creativity I’m happy giving 100%s. It gets 95% of kids coming in and working. Really relaxing and the driven kids still push themselves and do cool stuff. This doesn’t work via work from home. It just sucks.

For many kids, socialization and school activities are the only reason to look forward to being there. If they aren’t complete assholes, that is fine!

Carwash Cunt fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 17, 2021

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I don't think fluffy bunnies is someone you should be taking seriously regarding "socialization", as they post incessantly about a self-inflicted stress disorder.

A big part of socialization is just being in a social structure with peers, with rules different than your own home's rules.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Covid or no, school is going to have to be in person for a lot of reasons, namely there's no daytime childcare other than school for a lot of America.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Thanks, I’ve been avoiding any Covid threads for awhile. I can’t get a good gauge on what info is useful, so it becomes too much to deal with.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Thanks, I’ve been avoiding any Covid threads for awhile.

Smart move (not being sarcastic)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You would HATE the way my school has been moving lately. A couple years ago, soft skills like innovation, working as a team and respecting others were the focus. For me, it was really useful (I never thought I’d say that about an education theory). I set up programming classes so kids at different levels don’t all have to work at the same pace. If they are on task, record their progress, act respectfully and can add creativity I’m happy giving 100%s. It gets 95% of kids coming in and working. Really relaxing and the driven kids still push themselves and do cool stuff. This doesn’t work via work from home. It just sucks.

For many kids, socialization and school activities are the only reason to look forward to being there. If they aren’t complete assholes, that is fine!

Your school is a rarity (though it sounds like a good one). I'm glad your post got me another person to ignore though, it's a good thing :3:

Mass Wisteria
Dec 10, 2013
Hi COVID thread, I just have to vent about this somewhere. So I work in a healthcare facility and recently the higher ups sent an organization wide email about "respecting our co-workers" and I thought, oh they're probably going to address the death spiral of stress a lot of a caregivers are under and how we can be more understanding.

No. No of course not. What is actually disrespectful to your co-workers is talking about or even mentioning getting vaccinated against COVID-19. You see, all of these anti-vax people are feeling SO bummed right now, even mentioning the COVID-19 vaccine within hearing distance of them is a personal attack. So we must be respectful. By not even talking about the vaccine. In the worst surge of COVID-19 patients we have ever had. While working in loving healthcare. We have a mandatory flu shot every year that is required for continued employment.

I'm just so done, I don't even work in clinical care and I am embarrassed to work here.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Oh no, not the feelings of anti-vaxxers :ohdear:

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Is there any reason the new governor of New York is claiming she doesn't have the authority to mandate masks in schools for her state

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Kirk Vikernes posted:

On one hand I'd like to see schools shut down again, however it's also cool and good when students get to eat. Unfortunately, many students across the US (or 70% of students in our district) are on free and reduced lunch and we've been told that at least 15-20% in our district don't eat at home on a regular basis because there's nothing to there to eat. In fact, last school year when we were doing a combo of e-learning and in-person classes, the e-learners could come to the school Monday morning to pick up lunches because otherwise they don't eat. We also feed them at the city park through the summer because otherwise, they don't eat. It's only gotten worse as many parents have lost jobs at least temporarily throughout the pandemic because they either work service jobs or in manufacturing in plants that have been shut down off/on.

While there are probably plenty of programs for parents, many are either too proud or ignorant of what's available to them. And no one, this isn't one isolated incident in the US. There are actually poor people all over the United States. There's no reason to starve the kids because of their home life.
My district used the bus drivers to deliver food (weekly) to neighborhoods

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A Strange Aeon posted:

Well that's the thing that I was talking about in my original post, that things are now getting to the point where it seems dangerous because the case rate is still climbing exponentially. Things are much worse now than they were a month ago. And the answer to "how long" is "however long it takes for the numbers to go back down" or "until they're vaccinated"

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Boy I really hope he wasn't admitted for covid

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mass Wisteria posted:

Hi COVID thread, I just have to vent about this somewhere. So I work in a healthcare facility and recently the higher ups sent an organization wide email about "respecting our co-workers" and I thought, oh they're probably going to address the death spiral of stress a lot of a caregivers are under and how we can be more understanding.

No. No of course not. What is actually disrespectful to your co-workers is talking about or even mentioning getting vaccinated against COVID-19. You see, all of these anti-vax people are feeling SO bummed right now, even mentioning the COVID-19 vaccine within hearing distance of them is a personal attack. So we must be respectful. By not even talking about the vaccine. In the worst surge of COVID-19 patients we have ever had. While working in loving healthcare. We have a mandatory flu shot every year that is required for continued employment.

I'm just so done, I don't even work in clinical care and I am embarrassed to work here.

That's loving ridiculous. Print off 100 of those New York flyers telling chuds to get vaccinated and post them all over. Tell anyone who complains about it that you feel personally offended by even the mere thought of someone being unvaccinated and that they need to be more respectful of your feelings. If you get fired that's honestly probably for the best

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

my company made vaccines mandatory and they're not even bothering with a testing exemption

bort
Mar 13, 2003

That sounds like lawyers concerned about a hostile work environment. That’s pretty clever if the anti-vax crowd has figured that angle (“my coworkers talking to me about vaccines is not welcome and makes me uncomfortable.”)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bort posted:

That sounds like lawyers concerned about a hostile work environment. That’s pretty clever if the anti-vax crowd has figured that angle (“my coworkers talking to me about vaccines is not welcome and makes me uncomfortable.”)

They have no case because being an antivaxxer isn’t a protected class.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

They have no case because being an antivaxxer isn’t a protected class.
Couldn’t they still sue and cost the hospital a pile of money even if the judge told the plaintiffs to go gently caress themselves?

Mass Wisteria
Dec 10, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

That's loving ridiculous. Print off 100 of those New York flyers telling chuds to get vaccinated and post them all over. Tell anyone who complains about it that you feel personally offended by even the mere thought of someone being unvaccinated and that they need to be more respectful of your feelings. If you get fired that's honestly probably for the best
Honestly, you're right, I've stuck around as long as I have because I do want to help people, but how can I help people while being associated with these decisions? It just makes me so sad.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Let me add one question that I’m hoping someone here can answer: is it only a matter of time before kids can get vaccinated? Is there any chance that 5-11 year olds will not be approved?

No real chance.

The FDA is a little concerned about myocarditis, but the slides from their June briefing put that into perspective:

That was before Delta, at the lowest cases the U.S. had seen in a long time and likely the lowest it will see for a long time. It’s so much worse now.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Platystemon posted:

No real chance.

The FDA is a little concerned about myocarditis, but the slides from their June briefing put that into perspective:

That was before Delta, at the lowest cases the U.S. had seen in a long time and likely the lowest it will see for a long time. It’s so much worse now.

Thanks. I will save that image. I just know the argument will go “if one kid gets sick from vaccine it’s not worth it”, while ignoring the other line about kids getting sick from Covid.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

From ~30 cases per day to -700 since July 1st.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1427467741800419330?s=21

Get ready for those boosters!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Someone could poll them and get some actual answers, rather than having us throwing out wild unsubstantiated guesses. I don't see any value in posting "a theory" since it'd just be people shouting their pre-conceived notions about the vaxx hesitant
Fortunately Five Thirty Eight has been doing exactly this analysis

There are still good chunks of "wait and see" and "only if required" people in the vaccine-hesitant column, though their numbers are declining steadily as the US keeps on vaccinating ~500k people a day.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Lazyhound posted:

From ~30 cases per day to -700 since July 1st.

I don't like this rollercoaster.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Mass Wisteria posted:

Please remember that discussing workplace safety considerations with your coworkers is a federally protected right. Any attempts to even imply you may face retaliation for expressing safety concerns are 100% a violation and merit an NLRB complaint.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m real glad sneezing is not a symptom of covid or id think I had covid nearly every day. Small mercies...

Anyway bring on the boosters and the vaxx for kids. I’m very mad we have to deal with a 4th wave but at least the people who listen to scientists can now be reasonably protected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1427378109490376709

I think everyone can agree that this is bad.