Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Just stay home.

Not even being ironic.

Americans aren't wilding out at your house

There is no transmission at your apartment

Read some books

Catch up on your TV backlog

Watch some good seventies cinema

Just stay home. There's no shame in that.
lol so my work place, that popped 2 positives as of this morning, is still forcing people to come into the office
i go and make 30 min appearances in my half-mask
spend the rest of the day in my car or outside
thank gently caress it's summer right now
come fall/winter i will 100% be at home or in my car
poo poo is so stupid
also lol one of the positives was unvaccinated, the other was vaxxed with j&j
unvaccinated at a company that is paying you $$$$ to get the jab, at a company that is giving you PTO to recover from jabs, a company that is now offering a lottery for the jab. lol everything but making it a requirement, loving coward fucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

open biden is going to kill thousands of children and maim hundreds of thousands, if not more, and i have no idea how to not feel completely despondent over it lmao

hehe. lol.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Physicians have always been the original shitposters. real gross fuckers.

Oh poo poo welcome back

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Just stay home.

Not even being ironic.

Read some books

I did that before and my mental health took a huge hit.

I am going to stay home again but I gotta find at least one other human I can trust to like, go on walks around the park with, or something.

Another 8 months of isolation is gonna be brutal :(

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

its miserable!!!!!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

WampaLord posted:

lots of people focus on cspam being wrong about election predictions but its right about basically everything else
as far as i recall cspam predicted that the president would be a weird and incompetent old man, and that was a dead wringer, so

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Morbus posted:

[COVID-19] Use the boost to get thru

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
Possibly a dumb question for people actually educated in this kind of thing:

Once 95+% of a population is either vaccinated with yearly booster or has gotten COVID, do the fundamentals of the situation change? Do variants become less common, and do breakthrough hospitalizations reduce to a flu-tier level? Or do we just end up in constant fear of COVID like we do with heart disease or cancer?

Apr 7, 2003

Tzen posted:

lol so my work place, that popped 2 positives as of this morning, is still forcing people to come into the office
i go and make 30 min appearances in my half-mask
spend the rest of the day in my car or outside
thank gently caress it's summer right now
come fall/winter i will 100% be at home or in my car
poo poo is so stupid
also lol one of the positives was unvaccinated, the other was vaxxed with j&j
unvaccinated at a company that is paying you $$$$ to get the jab, at a company that is giving you PTO to recover from jabs, a company that is now offering a lottery for the jab. lol everything but making it a requirement, loving coward fucks

We're due back in two weeks. I work in a 64 floor building that channels every single person who comes in and out through one set of escalators.

My wife has already been back a week a month in the same building since November but really nobody has been there so it hasn't been so bad.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blaziken386 posted:

why does the thread prefer moderna over pfizer? is it just because u want as much juice in you as possible? because if so i understand

Moderna put out some release a couple weeks ago saying it better protected against Delta, but then in the past few days articles came out saying their reasoning is flawed because their initial 2-dose series was administered with a longer interval than Pfizer (4 weeks in US and Israel) and with a higher dose

So Moderna will probably wear off like Pfizer, but it might take a bit longer to show up as breakthroughs

3rd dose of Pfizer has very good trial data, and so far Moderna hasn't released 3rd dose data, but you can assume it would perform similarly

Pfizer goons rushing out to get Moderna as a booster is probably unnecessary, but CDC says it's fine so whatever

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

McNugget Buddy posted:

Depending on how long this drags on, vaccine passports required for doctor/hospital admission might become a thing

It would either spark a mass vaccination surge, or those same people would resign themselves to death

Not like they haven't already resigned themselves to death, but at least it would be on the books

I find that scenario unlikely in Quebec, but it's definitely true that every time the govt has shared more information about the passport, it's caused a brief uptick in new vaccination appointments, but only on the scale of like 10-20k people. That in a province where over a million people could get a shot but haven't yet. I guess we'll see once it really takes hold at the end of the month

Apr 7, 2003

ram dass in hell posted:

Oh poo poo welcome back

I'm trying! Thanks!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

you've heard about open biden but what about open trump

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

triple sulk posted:

neck.cx on that nussy

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
welcom back pfc

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

triple sulk posted:

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

ram dass in hell posted:

neck.cx on that nussy

I don't know why i thought of this but figured you should have to as well

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

blind posting from 30 pages back, hopefully i haven't been beaten

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Nothus posted:

Never forget that you and your kids are being fed into the furnace for Number.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Stevie Lee posted:

c-spam film festival when

i can't work without a deadline

that's a good idea

Apr 7, 2003

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Possibly a dumb question for people actually educated in this kind of thing:

Once 95+% of a population is either vaccinated with yearly booster or has gotten COVID, do the fundamentals of the situation change? Do variants become less common, and do breakthrough hospitalizations reduce to a flu-tier level? Or do we just end up in constant fear of COVID like we do with heart disease or cancer?

I'm not a physician, but I work in public health metrics for a major US insurer.

My understanding of it, which may be entirely wrong but what we model for, is that once a significant enough proportion of the population is vaccinated, the disease's ability to propagate itself falls below replacement level and it dies out due to a lack of ready hosts.

I can't tell you what percentage that is for covid or anything else. I can tell you that it's happened already for measles in my lifetime. Why we suddenly can't kill off a highly communicable disease when we've already killed one off in my lifetime is left to the reader to figure out.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:five:

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Just stay home.

Not even being ironic.

Read some books

At my current job there is no such thing as WFH.
I would if I could.
It sounds kinda nice.

Back to the covid mines, I suppose.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Oregon is at a ROBUST 57% vaccination rate (12th-best in America).
It's the equivalent of me walking into a maternity ward and bragging about how much smarter I am than the newborns

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

AppleNippleBOB posted:

At my current job there is no such thing as WFH.
I would if I could.
It sounds kinda nice.

Back to the covid mines, I suppose.

Our job can, and has been, done at home before. But we are required to appear in the office in order to stay employed. If my resume were better I'd find a WFH job.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

I'm not a physician, but I work in public health metrics for a major US insurer.

My understanding of it, which may be entirely wrong but what we model for, is that once a significant enough proportion of the population is vaccinated, the disease's ability to propagate itself falls below replacement level and it dies out due to a lack of ready hosts.

I can't tell you what percentage that is for covid or anything else. I can tell you that it's happened already for measles in my lifetime. Why we suddenly can't kill off a highly communicable disease when we've already killed one off in my lifetime is left to the reader to figure out.
Thanks!

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

pony up lurker oregon wfh employer goon

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Helith posted:

Pfizer's still A tier though
I'm going to try to boost up to S tier by getting moderna when boosters eventually hit Aus

2023 at earliest.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
I don't think I'd seen this from the old thread quoted in this one

Apr 7, 2003

The smartest post I"ve seen about any of this is "welcome to year 1.5 of a 5 year pandemic."

Doesn't really need much more said than that. That's how pandemics have always worked in human history. Get some beans.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

open biden is going to kill thousands of children and maim hundreds of thousands, if not more, and i have no idea how to not feel completely despondent over it lmao

lmao

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

triple sulk posted:

laying in bed with my cat, thinking about delta

post pics of the cats

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i know someone who was sent to the US by the australian government and i'm trying to convince him to do the max titers method of getting a 3rd dose (he had his 2nd dose ~6 months ago) but he wants to wait for the embassy to recommend it so he can get it all official records. this is the same government that he had to harangue to get his vaccines before he was sent overseas (several people went without getting vaxxed).

also he went to a friend's cabin for the weekend and didn't mask for all of it (meals and in the car). and the friend has a kid who i assume is being sent to the covid mines every day.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 17, 2021

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

Are there a lot of people reporting similar symptoms to their second shot from the booster? I don't recall anyone from the previous thread saying anything.

I got my third vax earlier today and I’m having all of the exact same side effects I had with shots 1 and 2, which is to say I’m couchbound and watching Hard Ticket to Hawaii because I’ve got fever/chills/aches and can’t manage to focus on anything more intellectually stimulating than that

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The smartest post I"ve seen about any of this is "welcome to year 1.5 of a 5 year pandemic."

Doesn't really need much more said than that. That's how pandemics have always worked in human history. Get some beans.

It's possible the western world gets it under control first through pure gluttony of vaccine supply

That brings up a good question - if Pfizer gets full approval next month, can they up the price so rich people can pay cash and skip the line?

Welcome to Walgreens! COVID-19 Vaccine FREE*

*free to those 8 months removed from their second dose of vaccine, otherwise $250

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

So, second shot for me was April 20th (I'm not weed friendly because my lungs are already garbage so I wanted to do some kind of drugs on 4/20). So... what, December 19th or so? Or 2 weeks after second shot?

Buddy, have you heard about these things called edibles???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

if r0=8, then that means you need 7/8 of the population vaccinated in order to bring r0=<1

So you need 88% of the population vaccinated.

LOL

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 17, 2021