Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

First 5 minutes of this is a good explanation of mask mandates
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPwNociLraM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Ccs posted:

I’m real glad sneezing is not a symptom of covid or id think I had covid nearly every day. Small mercies...

Anyway bring on the boosters and the vaxx for kids. I’m very mad we have to deal with a 4th wave but at least the people who listen to scientists can now be reasonably protected.

Ummm….

https://www.wbrc.com/2021/08/11/doctors-say-delta-variant-has-different-symptoms-than-original-covid-19-strain/

Sneezing and sinus congestion seems to be a more common symptom with Delta.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I guess de facto remote learning when the majority of students and teachers are quarantined is one way to skin the cat.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
I live in the UK and I learned all I needed to know about precautions from gnomes

https://twitter.com/i/status/1427492242760118281

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Zugzwang posted:

I’d love to see the parallel universe where the CDC didn’t lift the mask recommendations in May.

Didn’t the CDC director get the job because Fauci thinks she’s a good scientist/doctor, even though she didn’t have public messaging experience? She may well be excellent at doctoring/sciencing, but smart people like that really have no idea how not-science-savvy the average person is. It’s like that old Onion video, “Obama drastically scales back plans for America after visiting a Denny’s.”

All throughout Covid, the nerds at the CDC/WHO have been using technically correct scientific language (“there’s no evidence that…”, “we don’t have any data showing…”) that other nerds understand, not realizing that many members of the public would take a Covid home test kit and shove the handle of the swab up their nose instead of the absorbent tip.
On one hand, yes. At the same time, when all this started they tried to second guess human nature by not recommending masks so people wouldn't horde PPE that healthcare workers needed and caught endless amounts of poo poo for it. For some reason there was a good 6+ months of people lending credulity to the sincerity of anti-maskers not knowing what to do off the back of that policy change and then making GBS threads on the CDC for not simply giving facts as they understood them at the time.

So while I won't say they did it right, I do understand they're in an impossible position where different portions of the country respond wildly differently to whatever they say, they have contradictory demands on whether they should be strictly factual or not, and people will flip their opinions on them retroactively based on the arc of the pandemic as caused by people who weren't actually following to their recommendations in the first place. No matter what, they're the scapegoat.

Somewhat tangentially, I run a lab that services multiple PhDs. The semi-official limit on the lab is 2 people at a time, though upper management said they'd let us officially open up that limit as long as we could advocate that we could do so safely. Realistically, there's desk space for 4 people to sit spaced 6 feet apart, maybe even as many as 6 or 7 if they were willing to use carts as desks and didn't need to move around. There was going to be less than an hour of having more than 2 people in the lab, so I set up the 6 ft spacing setup, told them where to sit and how to remotely view the console screen. Within like 5 minutes of starting, I have a PhD huddled up next to me and a grad student up next to my shoulder peering over it. Granted, everyone was masked and I think also vaxed so I don't expect it was really dangerous, but it instantly nuked my interest in using that setup to advocate for raising the lab limit. This particular PhD is the biggest example of an absent-minded-professor type in the department, so I can't say I'm too surprised and it's not fair to judge the rest based on him, but never assume someone has practical knowledge or the presence of mind to follow COVID precautions properly just because of a couple letters next to their name.

yook fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 17, 2021

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Okay I'm going to want to get a booster in October
And I need to figure out how. I don't think they actually let you walk in and give you a shot without ID. (I'm in US)
I'll start to really pay attention when it gets closer to that time and see what I can do on the pharmacy websites I guess.
?

I'm not going to feel freaking bad at all about this because there are plenty of vaccines in the US. I do not believe I am taking it from someone else, I don't think that's how the situation actually is in the United States.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If the May thirteenth guidance for vaccinated persons were a chess move, it would be annotated with a double question mark.

https://i.imgur.com/7a7vOqj.gifv

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Spinz posted:

And I need to figure out how. I don't think they actually let you walk in and give you a shot without ID. (I'm in US)
I'll start to really pay attention when it gets closer to that time and see what I can do on the pharmacy websites I guess.
?

I'm not going to feel freaking bad at all about this because there are plenty of vaccines in the US. I do not believe I am taking it from someone else, I don't think that's how the situation actually is in the United States.

You could get a booster right now if you wanted. Ain’t none of these places are doing even the slightest of cross checking.

I could go to CVS today and Walgreens later that same day and it would be NBD.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spinz posted:

?

Don’t worry. The Biden administration says third shots will be O.K. soon, reports the U.S. paper of record.

You can get a shot without ID because it does not serve the national interest to allow the virus to incubate in the undocumented. Individual pharmacists may or not not give you a hard time about it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

yook posted:

On one hand, yes. At the same time, when all this started they tried to second guess human nature by not recommending masks so people wouldn't horde PPE that healthcare workers needed and caught endless amounts of poo poo for it. For some reason there was a good 6+ months of people lending credulity to the sincerity of anti-maskers not knowing what to do off the back of that policy change and then making GBS threads on the CDC for not simply giving facts as they understood them at the time.

So while I won't say they did it right, I do understand they're in an impossible position where different portions of the country respond wildly differently to whatever they say, they have contradictory demands on whether they should be strictly factual or not, and people will flip their opinions on them retroactively based on the arc of the pandemic as caused by people who weren't actually following to their recommendations in the first place. No matter what, they're the scapegoat.
I have no clue how supposed infectious disease experts could have watched what happened in India and not thought “Hmm, we should be worried about this Delta variant.” People were starting to accept masks much more widely too, even if only grudgingly. Welp

The degree to which they’ve hosed up messaging and confused people is difficult to overstate. Earlier this week, I listened to my vaccinated parents say, in the same sentence, that they are not doing anything they’re not supposed to and that they went out to dinner with six (vaccinated) friends. lol. lmao.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 17, 2021

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spinz posted:

?

Spinz you can literally just walk into any pharmacy ; say you forgot your ID and insurance and get a shot. The pharmacists do not care . They are throwing away vaccines every day.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

Zugzwang posted:

I have no clue how supposed infectious disease experts could have watched what happened in India and not thought “Hmm, we should be worried about this Delta variant.” People were starting to accept masks much more widely too, even if only grudgingly. Welp
Vaccine uptake was slowing down, I think having the carrot gave it a bit of a bump among the vaccine hesitant but not nearly enough to counter the death cultists using it as cover to run around mask less. Whelp.

Actually I thought the brother of my brother-in-law was one of those cases that wasn’t getting it just due to laziness and not thinking he needed it, then I find out this week he was interested in trying to buy a $50 fake card instead and only stopped because it’s a $20,000 penalty if he got caught using it to cross the border as planned so wheeeeeeelp.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

yook posted:

Vaccine uptake was slowing down, I think having the carrot gave it a bit of a bump among the vaccine hesitant but not nearly enough to counter the death cultists using it as cover to run around mask less. Whelp.
They said only the unvaccinated needed to keep masking up, but basically nobody anywhere was required to prove they were vaxxed, so everyone’s mask came off, jabbed and unjabbed alike. Who could have predicted that people who already weren’t taking Covid seriously would continue to not take it seriously? :thunk:

yook
Mar 11, 2001

If only Biden had secured the southern border, Ron DeSantis would be on those school mask mandates like white on rice right now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zugzwang posted:

All throughout Covid, the nerds at the CDC/WHO have been using technically correct scientific language (“there’s no evidence that…”, “we don’t have any data showing…”) that other nerds understand, not realizing that many members of the public would take a Covid home test kit and shove the handle of the swab up their nose instead of the absorbent tip.

The CDC's wikipedia page has a good rundown of their early covid pandemic fuckups in case anyone forgot what a shambles it was:

quote:

The first confirmed case of COVID-19 was discovered in the U.S. on January 20, 2020.[84] But widespread COVID-19 testing in the United States was effectively stalled until February 28, when federal officials revised a faulty CDC test, and days afterward, when the Food and Drug Administration began loosening rules that had restricted other labs from developing tests.[85] In February 2020, as the CDC's early coronavirus test malfunctioned nationwide,[86] CDC Director Robert R. Redfield reassured fellow officials on the White House Coronavirus Task Force that the problem would be quickly solved, according to White House officials. It took about three weeks to sort out the failed test kits, which may have been contaminated during their processing in a CDC lab. Later investigations by the FDA and the Department of Health and Human Services found that the CDC had violated its own protocols in developing its tests.[86][87] In November 2020, NPR reported that an internal review document they obtained revealed that the CDC was aware that the first batch of tests which were issued in early January had a chance of being wrong 33 percent of the time, but they released them anyway.[88]

In May 2020, The Atlantic reported that the CDC was conflating the results of two different types of coronavirus tests — tests that diagnose current coronavirus infections, and tests that measure whether someone has ever had the virus. The magazine said this distorted several important metrics, provided the country with an inaccurate picture of the state of the pandemic, and overstated the country's testing ability.[89]

In July 2020, the Trump administration ordered hospitals to bypass the CDC and instead send all COVID-19 patient information to a database at the Department of Health and Human Services. Some health experts opposed the order and warned that the data might become politicized or withheld from the public.[90] On July 15, the CDC alarmed health care groups by temporarily removing COVID-19 dashboards from its website. It restored the data a day later.[91][92][93]

In August 2020, the CDC recommended that people showing no COVID-19 symptoms do not need testing. The new guidelines alarmed many public health experts.[94] The guidelines were crafted by the White House Coronavirus Task Force without the sign-off of Anthony Fauci of the NIH.[95][96] Objections by other experts at the CDC went unheard. Officials said that a CDC document in July arguing for "the importance of reopening schools" was also crafted outside the CDC.[97] On August 16, the chief of staff, Kyle McGowan, and his deputy, Amanda Campbell, resigned from the agency.[98] The testing guidelines were reversed on September 18, 2020, after public controversy.[99]

In September 2020, the CDC drafted an order requiring masks on all public transportation in the United States, but the White House Coronavirus Task Force blocked the order, refusing to discuss it, according to two federal health officials.[100]

In October, it was disclosed that White House advisers had repeatedly altered the writings of CDC scientists about COVID-19, including recommendations on church choirs, social distancing in bars and restaurants, and summaries of public-health reports.[101]

In the lead up to 2020 Thanksgiving, at a press conference on November 20 the CDC advised Americans not to travel for the holiday saying, "It's not a requirement. It's a recommendation for the American public to consider." The White House coronavirus task force had its first public briefing in months on that date but travel was not mentioned.[102]

/extremely Mitch Hedberg voice
The CDC used to be really bad at handling the coronavirus pandemic. They still are, but they used to be, too.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Justin Godscock posted:

At this point, I really fear for the long-term problems of keeping kids at home on computers for school. Socialization is a critical part of schooling and of a child's development. I'm playing devil's advocate here but at the same time, gently caress, we need to figure out this "vaccine for people under 12 years old" problem very soon.

Lots of schools in southern US have already opened ...... and many of them have already had to close down classes and send hundreds of kids home to quarantine because of outbreaks.

https://twitter.com/AnaCabrera/status/1427442742603489284
https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1427377370273665027

This doctor has a whole lot of Twitter threads listing kids who died from covid if anyone has any "Kids don't get covid/don't get serious covid" friends
https://twitter.com/Cleavon_MD/status/1425208177281441796

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 17, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

John_A_Tallon posted:

Maybe I live some sort of bizarre blessed existence or something, but the majority of people who behave like that who I have gotten to know have shared with me that they were homeschooled for a period of years as children.

I live in a country where homeschooling is illegal* and I meet plenty of those needy people. Being more dependent on others for validation is just a personality trait like many others. If it gets to the level where someone can't live a normal life, it's called a personality disorder.

I guess what I'm saying is, there is no way in hell that is caused by homeschooling.

* You can get an exemption if the kid is too sick/disabled to attend. If you don't have an exemption, they will literally take your children if you don't send them to school.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't understand "awkward" as some telling personality dysfunction caused by improper schooling

Maybe they could be more specific

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Best let your kids die so you don't risk them becoming "awkward" and autistic apparently

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Welp

https://twitter.com/KHNews/status/1427587509752635395?s=20

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

I want to congratulate America winning the war on America.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I didn't read that but if you need a blood transfusion are you really in a position to be picky?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fallom posted:

I don't understand "awkward" as some telling personality dysfunction caused by improper schooling

Maybe they could be more specific

I’ve met many public and private schooled people who were complete trash so I’m not sure the argument holds up.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

A Strange Aeon posted:

I didn't read that but if you need a blood transfusion are you really in a position to be picky?

Well, obviously not [citation needed] but according to the article, the answer is straight up "lol, get hosed" so that's assuring.

quote:

said he’s heard from “a small handful” of patients asking for blood from unvaccinated donors. And the resounding answer from centers and hospitals, he added, has been “no.”

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Are there any recent estimates of how many people in the US have had covid so far? Last estimate I saw was 120M but that was from May, so it’s got to be quite a bit higher by now.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Zugzwang posted:

They said only the unvaccinated needed to keep masking up, but basically nobody anywhere was required to prove they were vaxxed, so everyone’s mask came off, jabbed and unjabbed alike. Who could have predicted that people who already weren’t taking Covid seriously would continue to not take it seriously? :thunk:

Then we had msm articles like, "libs don't trust the science anymore?!"

You don't have to be a behavioral scientist to know that antivaxers are fundamentally dishonest and 'it will incentivize them to get vaccinated' made no sense at all, and would have taken 6 weeks even if they did all comply

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
Lol no it’s 37M currently

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

There will be a huge selection bias in favor of donated blood being from vaccinated individuals I suspect. Vax hesitant types are not exactly the regular blood donating type of person.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Looks like we're all gonna be due for another jab: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/16/us/politics/booster-shots.html.

I got mine in...April? May? I forget off the top of my head. I'll definitely be lining up to get a third shot as soon as I'm eligible. I'm not in any risk groups other than being a bit overweight but I've been working hard to lose that weight and have made some really good progress. I'm hoping my parents can get on this asap though.

Honestly I'll line the gently caress up to get a shot every year if that's what it takes with this poo poo. I know it's not going away any time soon because of the morons who won't get one

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

yook posted:

Somewhat tangentially, I run a lab that services multiple PhDs. The semi-official limit on the lab is 2 people at a time, though upper management said they'd let us officially open up that limit as long as we could advocate that we could do so safely. Realistically, there's desk space for 4 people to sit spaced 6 feet apart, maybe even as many as 6 or 7 if they were willing to use carts as desks and didn't need to move around. There was going to be less than an hour of having more than 2 people in the lab, so I set up the 6 ft spacing setup, told them where to sit and how to remotely view the console screen. Within like 5 minutes of starting, I have a PhD huddled up next to me and a grad student up next to my shoulder peering over it. Granted, everyone was masked and I think also vaxed so I don't expect it was really dangerous, but it instantly nuked my interest in using that setup to advocate for raising the lab limit. This particular PhD is the biggest example of an absent-minded-professor type in the department, so I can't say I'm too surprised and it's not fair to judge the rest based on him, but never assume someone has practical knowledge or the presence of mind to follow COVID precautions properly just because of a couple letters next to their name.

I don't think it's at all accurate to claim that the CDC was doomed to be a scapegoat "no matter what," but I guess - given how abysmal their messaging and performance has been for the past 18 months - that it isn't possible to determine how the public would have responded if the CDC had tried either clarity or honesty in their response to the pandemic.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitter.com/Raiders/status/1427472711513640979

Hopefully we start seeing more like this. Also hopefully they actually stick to this and don't make a million exceptions once people start making a stink about it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

QuarkJets posted:

while according to the CDC there tend to be around 58k child under 5 hospitalized per year related to RSV, we're already on track to blow way past that number this year with the delta variant. That's not covid-19 in lieu of RSV, it's on top of it, and as a complication to it.

https://twitter.com/FOX13News/status/1427438792160460811

There's simultaneous covid and RSV outbreaks hitting kids across the nation

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

explosivo posted:

https://twitter.com/Raiders/status/1427472711513640979

Hopefully we start seeing more like this. Also hopefully they actually stick to this and don't make a million exceptions once people start making a stink about it.

From a raiders FB group.

This guy is dead fuckin serious and doubling down and I sincerely hope he spends all of his money on fighting a 100+ year old Supreme Court case over Allegiant season tix.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Big City Drinkin posted:

Lol no it’s 37M currently

This is what I was looking at, which estimates unreported cases https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/burden.html

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MrQwerty posted:

From a raiders FB group.

This guy is dead fuckin serious and doubling down and I sincerely hope he spends all of his money on fighting a 100+ year old Supreme Court case over Allegiant season tix.

It's funny how detractors in the comments are saying something along the lines of "Ew Creepy!!!" as if showing proof of vaccination is something that's never been done before. I assume the new talking point for anti vaxxers is that for some reason showing proof of vaccination is somehow a novel idea or somehow infringing on your rights?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Add it to the pile

https://twitter.com/WiStateJournal/status/1427645642508230658?s=19
https://twitter.com/sbauerAP/status/1427637226528198656?s=19
https://twitter.com/ChrisJLarson/status/1427630732789403650?s=19

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

Mons Hubris posted:

This is what I was looking at, which estimates unreported cases https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/burden.html

Oh drat. Crazy to think over a third of the country has had COVID if that’s right

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Related, Phil Valentine still mega sick:
https://twitter.com/bobmuellerwkrn/status/1427620655814565888?s=20
If he’s been hospitalized for a month with this, isn’t he pretty hosed even if he lives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Meanwhile in Canada

https://twitter.com/joe_cressy/status/1427353264014741516

Always hard to believe when people cite some sort of hypothesis about a systemic situation in the US, when a place that is basically socioeconomically the same except that people are just slightly less selfish shows evidence that it can be a different way. Even here in this healthcare-related phenomenon. There's probably a little more of universities with mandates than in northeastern states, that's about it.