Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I did that before and my mental health took a huge hit.

I am going to stay home again but I gotta find at least one other human I can trust to like, go on walks around the park with, or something.

Another 8 months of isolation is gonna be brutal :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
Sure, you could get one booster every eight months. That’s fine. Not me though. I’m getting eight boosters every one month.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Poke posted:

On a lighter note the Doctor gave a smirk and said “Pfizer, huh.” when he read my chart.
lmao gently caress

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
I’ll even say nice things about you at funeral

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

McNugget Buddy posted:

Give me links and recommendations

https://www.fixthemask.com/

Or free instructions/small fee for ones from Uni of Wisconsin

https://making.engr.wisc.edu/mask-fitter/

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I would like to make new friends and try to date but yeah I'm just gonna stick with my 3 local friends who are all vaxxed and aware of their surroundings until this poo poo gets better

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

open biden is going to kill thousands of children and maim hundreds of thousands, if not more, and i have no idea how to not feel completely despondent over it lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7uNGUJa7ak&t=90s

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Poke posted:

Sore throat and tired. I’m lucky my company is letting me quarantine in empty company trailer in the deepest depths of the Louisiana Bayou. I’m over an hour away from New Orleans if poo poo hits the fan though. Yikes.

On a lighter note the Doctor gave a smirk and said “Pfizer, huh.” when he read my chart.

Won’t I be super dosed up after getting 2 Pfizer shots, getting Covid and then getting a Moderna Booster afterwards?

DR JOHN CAMPBELL has said that exposure to the virus does trigger an immune response that would theoretically help, but it's... let's just say unclear, if the benefits are worth the cost, especially if the exposure leads to a symptomatic infection anyway

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

DarkEuphoria posted:

Starting to think Covid is bad???

You just need to learn to live with the virus. And cheeselung. And brain fog. And . . . wait . . . what was I saying? Something about brunch? Need to make sure my table's going to be available on Sunday.

*cough, cough*

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Entirely predictable and it just keeps happening lol, what a country

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Tzen posted:

lmao and the restaurants are packed
even the international district is done with covid
this pho spot pre-covid i would frequent had at least 50+ people in there
i mean that pho is good but i don't know about dying for good
eating delicious pho, what a way to go

saw the same with a thai place near me... they held out for so long takeout only, tons of signs about wearing a mask, etc. and then I walked by last weekend and it was just every table full of maskless people like 2019 again. it was surreal

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
the 8 month window for boosters is kind of poo poo. the israeli data shows around 8 months you are somewhere between 16-42% efficacy against delta with the mRNA vaccines. that's... not good.

max titers / eric crackl-ping after 6 months might be the way to go. let's see how strict pharmacies, etc. get about gatekeeping the official boosters

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I earnestly wish I understood the mindset that just refuses to accept they can't get 2 for $20 apps whenever they want.

How can it be that drat hard to just not eat out?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
the national parks have been pretty darn competent and good throughout the pandemic: https://edition.cnn.com/travel/arti...17T01%3A59%3A29

quote:

(CNN) — If you want to visit one of America's national parks, there's an essential item you must bring: face masks.

Showing that even wilderness areas aren't free from the reach of the Covid-19 Delta variant, the National Park Service announced Monday that it is immediately enforcing new mask rules.

Visitors, employees and contractors are now required to wear a mask inside all NPS buildings and even in crowded outdoor spots. This applies regardless of your vaccination status or transmission levels within the community.

i was in one over the weekend and the visitor center building was great--everyone masked, lots of signs warning to wear mask. any areas that sold food were closed and all the tables had big signs saying "No eating or drinking indoors". genuinely competent and good precautions being taken!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

The Demilich posted:

I earnestly wish I understood the mindset that just refuses to accept they can't get 2 for $20 apps whenever they want.

Some people just have no clue how to make their own food, and less than zero interest in learning. Like that guy who got a dozen long blacks or whatever from Starbucks at the beginning of the pandemic because he didn't know how to brew his own coffee.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

OK baizuo posted:

Entirely predictable and it just keeps happening lol, what a country

Hopefully our president handles the stress of this and Afghanistan happening at the same time well loool

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

blind posting from 30 pages back, hopefully i haven't been beaten

Considering the topic is mass death and societal breakdown this thread does have its moments.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The smartest post I"ve seen about any of this is "welcome to year 1.5 of a 5 year pandemic."

Doesn't really need much more said than that. That's how pandemics have always worked in human history. Get some beans.

Get them quick. The weather has hosed up Canada's crop of pulses badly enough there's going to be ripples in the world market.

Whoops, getting the covid thread crossed with the climate change and gardening threads.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

saw the same with a thai place near me... they held out for so long takeout only, tons of signs about wearing a mask, etc. and then I walked by last weekend and it was just every table full of maskless people like 2019 again. it was surreal
yeah my stomach just sank seeing it, they also held out for so long

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

the 8 month window for boosters is kind of poo poo. the israeli data shows around 8 months you are somewhere between 16-42% efficacy against delta with the mRNA vaccines. that's... not good.

max titers / eric crackl-ping after 6 months might be the way to go. let's see how strict pharmacies, etc. get about gatekeeping the official boosters

Yeah I'm here for my booster, its been 8 months. I couldn't find my vaccine card though.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Demilich posted:

Look, I can only get UNLIMITED appetizers if I'm there in person, they obviously can't doordash me unlimited appetizers!

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mod sassinator posted:

the national parks have been pretty darn competent and good throughout the pandemic: https://edition.cnn.com/travel/arti...17T01%3A59%3A29

i was in one over the weekend and the visitor center building was great--everyone masked, lots of signs warning to wear mask. any areas that sold food were closed and all the tables had big signs saying "No eating or drinking indoors". genuinely competent and good precautions being taken!

Are they afraid people are going to get COVID from the deer, or that people are going to give COVID to the deer?

We live in wild times

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ram dass in hell posted:

Hopefully our president handles the stress of this and Afghanistan happening at the same time well loool

What Afghanistan stress? It's over, USA lost (much like with covid).

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

doevid

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mod sassinator posted:

Park rangers don't get paid nearly enough to die for capital. Friend of mines brother managed the Mt rainier hotels and had to live in her house in the winters because it just didn't pay enough to survive. Purely part time and under paid.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

why are people so aggro at another person wearing a mask. psycho poo poo

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

McNugget Buddy posted:

Are they afraid people are going to get COVID from the deer, or that people are going to give COVID to the deer?

We live in wild times

nah it's just masks for the indoor parts of national parks, like the visitor centers with bathrooms, water fountains, etc. in the park it's up to you if you want to wear a mask--I might wear one if I were at yellowstone and walking some of those super packed hallway like trails around the geysers. but out on most trails it's a lot easier to distance and a lot more ventilated

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Shear Modulus posted:

wasnt there another one in australia or new zealand where they traced it the infectee walking through a place the infecter had been at like 30 minutes ago

are you thinking of this case where two strangers walked past each other?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-24/covid-delta-kappa-variant-spread-in-fleeting-moment-nsw-vic/100238680

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

27 going on 45.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kreeblah posted:

Some people just have no clue how to make their own food, and less than zero interest in learning. Like that guy who got a dozen long blacks or whatever from Starbucks at the beginning of the pandemic because he didn't know how to brew his own coffee.

I learned how to cook because my parents would leave me alone in the house for whole afternoons at a time and I wanted to be able to eat what I liked, when I wanted

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

gradenko_2000 posted:

I learned how to cook because my parents would leave me alone in the house for whole afternoons at a time and I wanted to be able to eat what I liked, when I wanted

My parents only ever made discount poo poo from boxes and tasted bad because both of them had blown out their sense of smell and taste so they'd throw in a poo poo ton of garlic so it was over powering and hurt my guts something fierce

So I learned to cook. Plus baking was insanely relaxing and no one will beat you when they think they'll get some pie

Edit: good news. Not food poisoning. Pepto saves the day. Was worried I had left the rice out too long tho.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 17, 2021

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oof.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

The Demilich posted:

Considering you could still get all the same stuff you already could, the only difference is that you couldn’t eat it in in the place, I don’t think it’s about the eating. I think it’s about having a rental servant who has to run around and be nice to you for the duration of your meal.

I once had an old chef tell me that the original French restaurants were a result of the revolution, all these guys who had worked for royalty were out on their asses and doing kind of a ronin thing, using the skills they had to continue working for anyone who could pay instead of specifically working for one guy or family. I have no idea how historically accurate that is, it probably isn’t, but it’s an interesting thought.

America is a land of people who want and expect the royal treatment for however much money they’re willing to spend. Our tipping system gives people with brain and soul problems the ability to withhold or bequeath money as they see fit based on whether the servant they’re renting pleased them or not. I think a lot of the restaurant closure backlash was based on people wanting to be able to order somebody around and send stuff back and then tip a cruel amount of money because their coke only got refilled three times.

I’m not currently in the industry, but drat near everyone I know is, and things are definitely weird right now. The cool people who were fun to serve aren’t coming out like they used to, and in their place is an ocean of the kind of person who would rather risk covid than not be waited on. Someone in this thread said earlier that the labor shortage in the industry isn’t about losing people to unemployment, it’s about losing people to other lines of work, and I think there’s truth to that. Another part is that people are jumping ship for better ships, this is a great time to trade a lovely boss or restaurant for a better one, I’ve seen a bunch of people doing that.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

the most hilarious thing is people getting indignant when you say it might not be a good idea to go to a restaurant

like its outrageous to suggest that people are capable of living without eating at restaurants

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's incredible how we were handed a cheat code such that everyone in this forum, doomers through and through, sighed a sigh of relief, and then... nobody loving got it. lmao. hahahahhahaha.

I have sincerely missed you

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

nz just went into level 4 lockdown (everything except supermarkets and pharmacies closed) over 1 community case jeez

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Sphyre posted:

nz just went into level 4 lockdown (everything except supermarkets and pharmacies closed) over 1 community case jeez

jelly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
i'm the community case, ama