Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Judakel posted:

I have to wait until january lmao

Vax Populi doesn't though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Stereotype posted:

hmm no hundreds if not thousands of children should die before you can tell me what to do.

If you like being told what to do, I have good news for you

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Relevant Tangent posted:

Moderna works and doesn't show the same degradation of function over time that Pfizer does, correct?

SO FAR. Pfizer has been around longer. We might see a droop in Moderna efficacy once it’s been around as long.

But for now we’re hoping it has staying power.

He have theories that it’s because it has 3x the volume or because the doses are spaced 4 weeks instead of 3 weeks, but who knows for now

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

Moderna works and doesn't show the same degradation of function over time that Pfizer does, correct?

We haven't seen it yet at least.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. I think it's a little preemptive to speak so conclusively on these timelines

2. I specifically think eight months for J&J is a little optimistic

3. The way it's phrased makes it sound like protection just stops after the six months, which is a dangerous way of conveying the information

4. While I appreciate that they're setting up the narrative for acceptance of boosters, at 10% fully-vaxxed in the PH it doesn't seem like we should be doing that yet

(other news today was that two guys got arrested for taking a shot of Moderna after already having been fully-vaxxed with Sinovac. That makes the third booster arrest so far)

J&J - Zero (0) months

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Relevant Tangent posted:

1. I'm not sure I want to imply that other vaccines don't work

2. The studies that have been cited that demonstrate waning effectivity of vaccines over time, for all of their flaws and caveats, do indicate that Moderna does not wane nearly as much, yes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the effacacy drop on pfizer? I haven't heard of this and I'm fairly read up on these things? I thought so anyways

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hadlock posted:

What is the effacacy drop on pfizer? I haven't heard of this and I'm fairly read up on these things? I thought so anyways

6 months or so after dose 2 efficacy against delta for mild to moderate illness drops to 42%. it is still extremely effective at preventing serious illness and death. most hospitalized breakthroughs (and all breakthrough deaths) are old and/or immunocompromised.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Yeah the "vaccines don't work because they aren't 100% forever" is stupid nonsense..

We have MULTIPLE vaccines for a coronavirus for the FIRST TlME EVER. The possibility of even having one was considered far fetched by many, myself included, because there hadn't been one successfully produced due to the low immunogenicity characteristics of coronaviri; the common cold ones don't reinfect because they mutate, they reinfect because your body has a poo poo time remembering them for whatever reason.

We can get an actual, observable miracle drug for free at a CVS in places like loving Elmer, MO or What Cheer, IA and people think they don't work, lmao listen here bud humanity deserves nCoV-SARS-2.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

There are the ones I've seen pop-up:

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1425610846927917063
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1425589829069271041

as I understand it:

* Pfizer drops in effectiveness against infections to about 40-50% after six months
* Pfizer retains its effectiveness against severe symptoms requiring hospitalization even after all that time
* it's possible that the interval between the first and second shots makes a difference, i.e. UK data yields better retention of effectiveness because they gave out their second shot eight (?) weeks after the first, whereas Israel gave their second shot two (?) weeks after the first. I think the US does three weeks between shots?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

most hospitalized breakthroughs (and all breakthrough deaths) are old and/or immunocompromised.

Yeah but my father in law, who I see about weekly, is both of these things, and everyone in the family, by chance, got pfizer

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1425610846927917063
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1425589829069271041

as I understand it:

* Pfizer drops in effectiveness against infections to about 40-50% after six months
* Pfizer retains its effectiveness against severe symptoms requiring hospitalization even after all that time
* it's possible that the interval between the first and second shots makes a difference, i.e. UK data yields better retention of effectiveness because they gave out their second shot eight (?) weeks after the first, whereas Israel gave their second shot two (?) weeks after the first. I think the US does three weeks between shots?

Yeah for the last bullet Israel/US did things differently than UK/Canada mainly for supply reasons (21 day interval vs a few months for booster shot)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hadlock posted:

Yeah but my father in law, who I see about weekly, is both of these things, and everyone in the family, by chance, got pfizer

if it was less then 6 months ago, then make sure you take precautions as if you’re not vaxxed around him.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

as I understand it:

Very cool, thanks for bringing the science

Yeah I was under the impression that mRNA vaccines were less effective against Delta/over time, but this is the first time I've seen Very Specific numbers

Does this account for the fact that Delta started spreading about two months after the vaccines went out into wide distribution

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

I got my first 2 shots in the Pfizer trial in Aug 2020
Dropped out and took shots 3/4 in May 2021

When do I get my boosters, Joe?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

My parents in the UK had their Pfizer shots 12 weeks apart. Their doctor has told them they’ll be getting a booster in September, 6 months after their 2nd shot in March. I’ll ask them next time I speak to them if that’s happening.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I was under the impression that mRNA vaccines were less effective against Delta/over time, but this is the first time I've seen Very Specific numbers

Does this account for the fact that Delta started spreading about two months after the vaccines went out into wide distribution

the pfizer studies are pretty conclusive. it was first put into non-trial arms starting in december, so we have a lot of info.

moderna didn’t start until a couple months later in gusto so we just don’t know for certain if there will be any wane in mild to moderate efficacy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Well there seems to be a shift in vaccine effectiveness in terms of breakthrough which seems to be correlated to Delta becoming the gold medal strain over the summer.

Most likely a perfect storm as other people have guessing, between vaccine antibody levels waning, differences the booster shot intervals (UK delayed by up to 2 - 3 months) and also the strain being more effective at antibody evasion.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

gradenko_2000 posted:

right, my question is: how much of the UK difference is determined by the interval (12 weeks vs 3), how much vs waning (12 weeks == fewer people are 6+ months out), and how much is the interaction of the two. i haven't seen anything definitive regarding this, but lmk if i missed something

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

if it was less then 6 months ago, then make sure you take precautions as if you’re not vaxxed around him.

Yeah my FIL got vaxxed back in late January as a priority person, my wife and I were fully vaxxed + 2 weeks mid April, so he's about at the end of his protected period, and we will be soon, I guess October

We have an under 12 kid at daycare, as do other family members so that's an interesting wrinkle. Our county has really high vax rates and super low spread, but we'll see what happens with Delta community spread, schools are opening here soon

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hadlock posted:

Yeah my FIL got vaxxed back in late January as a priority person, my wife and I were fully vaxxed + 2 weeks mid April, so he's about at the end of his protected period, and we will be soon, I guess October

We have an under 12 kid at daycare, as do other family members so that's an interesting wrinkle. Our county has really high vax rates and super low spread, but we'll see what happens with Delta community spread, schools are opening here soon

good luck goon. i hope your family is safe and no one gets super sick or dies.

my dad was in the icu last year with covid. 55 days. he spent 15 of that on a vent. the lasting damage to him is still a problem. he still has hosed short term memory, still has limited use of his left arm/hand, and still cannot walk any appreciable distance or do a lot of work without becoming fatigued. his entire lot is only .16 acres. he can barely mow the front lawn with his push mower.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Petey posted:

right, my question is: how much of the UK difference is determined by the interval (12 weeks vs 3), how much vs waning (12 weeks == fewer people are 6+ months out), and how much is the interaction of the two. i haven't seen anything definitive regarding this, but lmk if i missed something

yeah I don't know about that. The questions you're raising are perfectly reasonable but there's a lot of... nuance? to drawing definitive conclusions from these studies from how uncontrolled the data is

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

this is why I try to phrase things carefully - I don't want to give the impression that the vaccine just stops working after six months

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah I don't know about that. The questions you're raising are perfectly reasonable but there's a lot of... nuance? to drawing definitive conclusions from these studies from how uncontrolled the data is

right right right. from a policy pov i wish we knew the answer, because "just space out new vaccinations 12 weeks apart and save one third the doses" would be a much more advantageous global answer than "three doses for everyone"

monica ghandi — the head of the HIV clinic at UCSF — was on TPM's inside briefing the other day (seemingly) arguing that the best strategy is: two shots for everyone, open er up, vaccinate everyone you can, exposures/infections are the best booster, let asymptomatic/mild cases roll, treat moderate/severe cases with monoclonals as they occur, which was enough to make me almost swerve off the 9 and into the hudson river when i listened to it yesterday in the car: https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/are-we-thinking-the-right-way-about-what-constitutes-infection

Petey fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 17, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

is vaccine efficacy drop off - say for moderne- different across ages or the same for everyone ?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

euphronius posted:

is vaccine efficacy drop off - say for moderne- different across ages or the same for everyone ?

there is no documented drop off for moderna at the moment.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sorry to hear about your dad's long covid symptoms, that super sucks and I hope things improve

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is why I try to phrase things carefully - I don't want to give the impression that the vaccine just stops working after six months

I agree with you, however he has late stage COPD (really hosed up lungs) and is already on supplimental oxygen, so for him any kind of minor breakthrough infection for him has... A grim prognosis

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hadlock posted:

Sorry to hear about your dad's long covid symptoms, that super sucks and I hope things improve

I agree with you, however he has late stage COPD (really hosed up lungs) and is already on supplimental oxygen, so for him any kind of minor breakthrough infection for him has... A grim prognosis

various hospitals around the country have put out numbers with age bracket breakdowns. your fil sounds like he is a high risk person, which would mean he's eligible for a booster now. i would personally limit how much time he sees anyone and keep masked etc until post booster at a minimum.

and, yeah, poo poo sucks for my dad. there isn't going to be much improvement. this is his new normal. the real struggle is people like my step mom think that the vaccine is poison and refuse to get it. pop got moderna as soon as it was available. he got in before he was supposed to when only 65+ people were getting shots because of how severe his first case was.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/kateweaverut/status/1424793582603489285?s=21

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao at Florida

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well this is soul crushing

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6996915988608355590

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6997029184581291269

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Biden is recommending booster shots for people after our hospitals have run out of space? hahahah

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/9NEWS/status/1427593599252844547?s=19

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

Biden is recommending booster shots for people after our hospitals have run out of space? hahahah

I don’t think they are connected

it was just two stories I saw

AnemicChipmunk
Oct 23, 2012

Gonna get every vaccine shot over and over until my body becomes a nano machine suit like in Crysis.

MAXIMUM TITERS

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

vaccination and boosters or whatever isn’t going to help Florida at al anymore

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Time to choke to death

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

https://twitter.com/hemofelo/status/1423270670918590466?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
i need a wfh job, gently caress these unmasked sheep at my office