Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Zore posted:

We're almost definitely getting it in about 18 months after Queen's Wish 2 is released

My only concern is that Jeff retires before he finishes out the Geneforge remakes :ohdear:. Though honestly G4+5 aren't bad to play mechanically like 1+2 are.
Yeah, Jeff always flips back and forth between his active brand new game and a remake of an older game. Financially, a remake that he can turn around quicker helps cover the longer time period it takes to make a game from scratch, while from a mental standpoint he's said that he uses the time spent on remakes to help get ahead of the curve on mentally planning the new games.

The vague roadmap of the new few years will probably look something like this:
Mid to late 2022: Queen's Wish 2
Mid 2023: Geneforge 2: Remake
Late 2024 to early 2025: Queen's Wish 3
Mid to late 2025: Geneforge 3: Remake

From there, it's anybody's guess. I'd bet that not even Jeff himself is certain if Queen's Wish is going to require more than three games to fully tell the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I'd say you can play Gebeforge 5 right now, it's basically the same engine and has most of QoL you get in remakes. The thing with previous games is they have fixed aspect ratio 4:3, and IIRC you can't even change the resolution. 1024x768 would look like poo poo on any screen made after 2010.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

JustJeff88 posted:

Can anyone recommend a way to contact Jeff directly? Part of me wants to ask him why he pretends that Nethergate Original doesn't exist, but mostly I want to ask him if he could include GOG codes for buying his games straight from Spiderweb instead of just Steam codes. I prefer to buy directly from Spiderweb for obvious reasons, but I prefer GOG to Steam for my extra key.

i really liked nethergate back in the day but i don’t think i ever beat it, and i probably last played it in 2005

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ilitarist posted:

I'd say you can play Gebeforge 5 right now, it's basically the same engine and has most of QoL you get in remakes. The thing with previous games is they have fixed aspect ratio 4:3, and IIRC you can't even change the resolution. 1024x768 would look like poo poo on any screen made after 2010.
I think Geneforge 1 was even smaller than that. Also, fullscreen only.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
How old is Jeff, speaking of the retiring before Geneforge 5 Mutagen.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Based on his GDC presentation I bet he's going to work up until the day he can draw SSI and then call if a day.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

He also said a few years back that he was more than halfway through his career running Spidweb, which puts his likely retirement somewhere in the early to mid 2030's.

So presuming health, continued success, society still exists, etc, Geneforge 5: Remake will likely happen. Based on his typical development timelines though, it probably won't be till somewhere between 2028 and 2030 though. But as others have said, Geneforge 4 and 5 still hold up quite well on modern machines (for now anyways) since they use an engine very similar to his current one, so if you get impatient, you can still run them pretty smoothly.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's also the question of what he'd do with his retirement. I can definitely see wanting to get off the grind of churning out a new big RPG every year or two, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he'd stop gamedev altogether.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I still have my fingers crossed for more Nethergate because I really enjoyed it and can't understand why it is so unpopular.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

And Tyler Too! posted:

I still have my fingers crossed for more Nethergate because I really enjoyed it and can't understand why it is so unpopular.

Me too. Very novel idea for the setting. That's why I'm so keen to find out why Nethergate original is persona non grata, of all his games. I wrote Spiderweb years ago and asked about the game casually, and one of his employees (I presume) sent me a link to download it for free, so I thought that it was open for distribution. I tried to post that link on the official Spiderweb forum when someone asked about it, and apparently Jeff was *not* happy. I don't get it.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Probably some assets whose license expired?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

mossyfisk posted:

Probably some assets whose license expired?

I never thought of this, but it is very possible. I just wish that he would say that. I've written him two or three times asking, never a response. I don't give a drat about intellectual property horseshit personally, but I will respect Jeff's wishes and not pass the game around. That said, I am not getting rid of my copy. It's probably quite literally irreplaceable and it's a part of gaming history, 'legal' or not.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

JustJeff88 posted:

I never thought of this, but it is very possible. I just wish that he would say that. I've written him two or three times asking, never a response. I don't give a drat about intellectual property horseshit personally, but I will respect Jeff's wishes and not pass the game around. That said, I am not getting rid of my copy. It's probably quite literally irreplaceable and it's a part of gaming history, 'legal' or not.

their nethergate page on the website says they don’t distribute the game anymore but if you purchased it back in the day you can email them and they’ll work something out

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
You can buy nethergate resurrection on steam not sure if that's different but I got it on steam

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

JustJeff88 posted:

Well the other likely option is "never had a license for those assets in the first place" which he wouldn't want to say outright.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

And Tyler Too! posted:

I've asked him about it in one of AMAs a few years back and he said, I quote: "Writing a historical game was really cool and fun, but it's just not something I'm interested in doing again."

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Grevlek posted:

You can buy nethergate resurrection on steam not sure if that's different but I got it on steam
JustJeff is wondering about the original not the remake - the original Nethergate is the only game of Jeff's that effectively unavailable. The original Exile 1-3 and Blades of Exile were from around that same time and are still distributed for free with zero tech support, while the very next game of Avernum 1 is actually still sold on the website if you wanted that rather than the 2014 remake for some reason. But the original Nethergate is basically unavailable unless you happened to buy it back in the late 90's.

ilitarist posted:

I've asked him about it in one of AMAs a few years back and he said, I quote: "Writing a historical game was really cool and fun, but it's just not something I'm interested in doing again."
This is my understanding as well; it's all about Spidweb just having zero interest in more Nethergate. It doesn't seem to be a sales issue, because when he cites "games that struggled in sales", he's never even hinted at any issues with Nethergate AFAIK. And it doesn't seem like it's a fan issue either, because it doesn't seem to draw the apathy of Blades of Avernum or straight up dislike of Avernum 4.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

If it's literal abandonware, is it really that unethical to upload it for preservation and archival purposes? I like Jeff V a lot, but in this case I think preserving part of history and culture overrides his personal feelings.

e. no, I'm not asking for :filez: I'm just always concerned about losing our gaming history.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ilitarist posted:

Sad to hear, but I think that I can see why he lost interest. All of his other games are almost entirely pure fiction, but when it's a game with a historical basis that can require research and consistency with real-life events that could be a lot of work for not enough reward. Just a hypothesis.

Famethrowa posted:

If it's literal abandonware, is it really that unethical to upload it for preservation and archival purposes? I like Jeff V a lot, but in this case I think preserving part of history and culture overrides his personal feelings.

e. no, I'm not asking for :filez: I'm just always concerned about losing our gaming history.

I'm absolutely with you, mate. If it were some big, soulless parasitic corporation I would just say 'gently caress em!' and put it on various sites, but out of respect for Jeff I have refrained from doing so. If it had been the CEO of EA or similar, I would have laughed loudly and spread this thing that is infinitely reproduceable but free to the four corners of the web.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm absolutely with you, mate. If it were some big, soulless parasitic corporation I would just say 'gently caress em!' and put it on various sites, but out of respect for Jeff I have refrained from doing so. If it had been the CEO of EA or similar, I would have laughed loudly and spread this thing that is infinitely reproduceable but free to the four corners of the web.

I did some digging just cuz, and found that Jeffy threatened to sue an abandonware site for hosting it so even if you were a disrespectful person well...:sigh:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

What did the re-release change? I was under the impression it was just mostly compatibility with more modern oses.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Famethrowa posted:

I did some digging just cuz, and found that Jeffy threatened to sue an abandonware site for hosting it so even if you were a disrespectful person well...:sigh:

He would have a hard time finding me personally, but I respect the work that abandonware sites do and I don't want them to be compromised. I'm really torn here between my desire to respect Jeff's wishes (I wouldn't care about the wishes of very many people) and to preserve a part of gaming history.

Sankis posted:

What did the re-release change? I was under the impression it was just mostly compatibility with more modern oses.

I confess that I have not done a side-by-side. They definitely do look a fair bit different visually. However, the original Nethergate works perfectly well with WIn 7 and Win 10, which are basically all 64-bit these days. It was the first Spiderweb game done in 32 bit; all of the Exile games were 16.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

I confess that I have not done a side-by-side. They definitely do look a fair bit different visually. However, the original Nethergate works perfectly well with WIn 7 and Win 10, which are basically all 64-bit these days. It was the first Spiderweb game done in 32 bit; all of the Exile games were 16.

omg that brought back some serious childhood memories; I had a Performa as a kid and was devastated to learn I'd need a Power Mac to run the newest Spiderweb game :cry:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I wanted to show off the difference between the two Nethergates.

Here's how Nethergate Original (1998) looks at the very start of a game with the default Celt party in my monitor's default resolution:

Original game, Roman starting party in the game's preferred 800x600:

Nethergate Resurrection (2007), starting default Celt party:

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 17, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

By the way, modern Jeff games have a basis for remake too. I have 4K screen and even Queen's Wish maxes out at 1440p with black bars on the sides. Kinda like old Nethergate works on a screenshot above. Of course it would still be unplayable at this resolution because everything is too small.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Queen's Wish 2 kickstarter is up.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Hope the "close out our career" mention in the video wasn't a sign that this is his final game.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ilitarist posted:

By the way, modern Jeff games have a basis for remake too. I have 4K screen and even Queen's Wish maxes out at 1440p with black bars on the sides. Kinda like old Nethergate works on a screenshot above. Of course it would still be unplayable at this resolution because everything is too small.

queens wish is never getting a remake lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

Hope the "close out our career" mention in the video wasn't a sign that this is his final game.

He calls Queen's Wish a trilogy in that kickstarter so if nothing else I could buy the idea that this will be his last non-remake series of games.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

In the blog post he mentions Queen's Wish very likely being his last original series, he openly states that he plans to retire in a few years. He still has a couple of remakes planned, likely more Geneforge games.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Queen's Wish 2 is at $34k out of it's $40k goal and it's only been a few days, goddamn.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

And Tyler Too! posted:

Queen's Wish 2 is at $34k out of it's $40k goal and it's only been a few days, goddamn.
In the few hours since your post, it's already pushed up to $37k. And the big-ticket items of designing an artifact/character/questline are all still out there. IIRC, he mostly sold out of those tiers in both previous kickstarters, so I expect he'll absolutely meet and well exceed the $40k goal. If you're an iPhone fan, that $60k level seems pretty likely to get met too.

The real question is whether it'll meet the $80k goal for an extra questline and the $100k goal for professional sound design - given that Queen's Wish 1 ended at $98k and Geneforge was at $85k, you can either optimistically say that $100k might be viable if people really loved Queen's Wish or pessimistically say that the sizable drop-off means that even reaching the $80k might be difficult.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i liked queens wish

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How many gameplay hours is the Geneforge remake? Me thinking about playing. I love a good, intricate, long rpg with good writing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

chaosapiant posted:

How many gameplay hours is the Geneforge remake? Me thinking about playing. I love a good, intricate, long rpg with good writing.

I did a playthrough in 45 hours which did basically everything but some of the optional superbosses one of the secret areas. That's also with having played the original before and skipping through some of the earlier dialogue/puzzles I knew really well.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

The Queen's Wish 2 Kickstarter is basically halfway to its' end date (14 days to go; if you still want to donate, get on that!), has already met the funding target, and is at around $50k. Still seems likely he'll get up to the $60k level for the iPhone version, but $80k for extra questline seems unlikely and $100k for professional sound design clearly won't be met.

Also, Jeff did a deep-dive postmortem of Queen's Wish 1 on his new substack blog as part of the kickstarter; this was mentioned offhandedly in a couple of the posts, but since nobody linked it, here you go. The tl;dr is this:
-Dungeons needing to be completed in one shot initially threw people off but he liked the way it worked out.
-No XP from monsters was a mistake.
-The fort/empire building system and smaller-than-normal number of abilities were both good ideas that need refinement.
-Overall story is going to continue to focus on the family dynamics.

https://bottomfeeder.substack.com/p/queens-wish-the-conqueror-post-mortem

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Oh, how I wish it'd get to that professional sound design stretch goal, though. It took way too long for him to get rid of that metal scrapy sound that used to be part of the city hubbub.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

atholbrose posted:

Oh, how I wish it'd get to that professional sound design stretch goal, though. It took way too long for him to get rid of that metal scrapy sound that used to be part of the city hubbub.

just donate $50k yourself, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

atholbrose posted:

I'm the opposite; I'd really like to see him get the extra quests.