Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Predators rules, and is also cool and simultaneously good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

Predators rules, and is also cool and simultaneously good.

I couldn't abide it becoming a Dexter fan-fic in the third act and also how long is a cycle? Them making the Bolivian woman a IDF soldier at the last second but leaving in her dialogue about her having fought in every jungle on the planet, the script just felt weirdly busted to me in places. I'm not a everything has to be super tight continuity person but it and the pacing just felt off to me enough times that I wasn't down.

Still definitely worth a watch.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Neo Rasa posted:

Them making the Bolivian woman a IDF soldier at the last second
Now a few things make marginally more sense

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Predators improves massively if you start playing brodyquest any time adrien brody starts using a gun

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Predators feels more like an adaptation of a good Dark Horse comic than any other movie in either series. I unirionically think Brodyquest does a good job as an against-the-grain casting choice for a mercenary lead, and the supporting cast is a murder's row of good character actors who all know exactly what movie they're in and how to play it.

Yeah a lot of parts don't work-- the Topher Grace reveal needed way more hand-tips or even to just be revealed right off, the super-Predators are classically lame, and you can tell they probably worked the production crew half to death to get that tiny budget to look that good-- but it hangs together better than literally any other movie in either series from the last 20 years.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Meskhenet posted:

I just watched Predator (1987) with my son.

Is the 2nd and 3rd movie fun to watch too?

Don't listen to any of these people, OP. There's only one good Predator movie, two good Alien movies, two good Terminators and one good Robocop.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Predator 2 is insanely underrated. Selah

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

RoboCop 2 is also good

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Danny Glover
Gary Busey
Bill Paxton
Predator 2

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

skasion posted:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

"Other world life. ... A loving alien."

Correct observations from Predators:

- Walton Goggins. Now there's a man who really looks like his name.

Neo Rasa posted:

the script just felt weirdly busted to me in places
Still definitely worth a watch.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

start playing brodyquest

- I've said it before in other threads, but I want to see a live-action Spy VS Spy movie where Adrien Brody plays both roles.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
If anyone was considering buying an Alien/similar shirt (required :colbert:) from RedBubble I have a 25% off coupon I can PM you. It expires Sept 30th so there's plenty of time and if no one grabs it I'll probably end up using it or more than likely forget until October 2nd.

quick edit: actually I just checked the code and it looks like it may be a macro one they send out. It's ARTISTSRULE

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Been thinking about Predator 2 and everyone on the special features is great, whole thing is worth watching especially when Danny Glover talks about what a cerebral film it is, I mean, he's right it's a ridiculous film but the flick does solidly deliver on its themes of maverick cops like Glover being perceived as the new top hunter by the Predators and stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF63d5SubYU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Gary Busey is insane and I love him.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Pennywise the Frown posted:

:hai:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Still thinking about Alien, mainly because I had a loving horrendous dream last night where every room in my house had Sevastopol style vents in the ceiling and the big chap kept dropping down to take a look. Strangely, I seemed to be having a party or something because loads of people were also there but I guess they must all be androids because it ignored them all and kept looking for me, cowering behind the sofa and a laundry rack.

Just once I'd like to have a chilled out, relaxing dream sitting in a field on a sunny day having a picnic with Karen Gillan or something but nooooo, it's the big chap at least 75% of the time.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T2S8GHzxqc

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

skasion posted:

Predator 2 is very 90s and very 90s racist in a few parts. Otherwise it's good. It cannot be emphasised enough that the actual predator in predator 2 is, in-universe, incredibly lovely at predatoring.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

In last years SA Scream Stream we watched an interesting movie called Hider in the House. And it's about Gary Busey hiding in someone's attic for a while. We had someone making gifs and pics in real time which was just amazing.

https://i.imgur.com/hfv1E89.mp4

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

skasion posted:

:haibrower:

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Gary Busey hiding in someone's attic

Easily the scariest horror premise of all time

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I know this has come up in the thread before, but here's a neat way to keep thinkin bout them aliens:

https://youtu.be/DX3VaFG7AvU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Predators was hardly a work of art and had too many “remember predator!?” moments but overall an enjoyable movie I’ve seen more than once and don’t regret.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Young Freud posted:

It's Dallas. :argh:

You can go to downtown Dallas and see pretty much most of the shooting locations. Very little has changed: outside of a parking structure across the street from the Municipal Courts Bldg (i.e. Detroit City Hall) getting turned into a park and the Dallas High School (the Precinct building) getting renovated by an architectural firm, everything looks like it was back in 1987.

For example: this place...

Yup. First movie was shot in Dallas, second movie was shot in Houston, third movie was shot in Atlanta.

Robocop 3 feels like a straight-to-DVD Asylum film.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

PhotoKirk posted:

Yup. First movie was shot in Dallas, second movie was shot in Houston, third movie was shot in Atlanta.

Robocop 3 feels like a straight-to-DVD Asylum film.

I saw Robocop 3 in the theaters when I was very young and LOVED it. I made his arm gun out of Construx and would play Robocop. I got a bunch of toys and stuff too but that was a long time before 3 came out I'm pretty sure.

I saw it recently.

Yikes.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

I saw Robocop 3 in the theaters when I was very young and LOVED it. I made his arm gun out of Construx and would play Robocop. I got a bunch of toys and stuff too but that was a long time before 3 came out I'm pretty sure.

I saw it recently.

Yikes.

It’s one of those situations where a movie not specifically for kids gets popular with kids so the sequel is a kids movie designed to sell toys and poo poo

Sounds like it worked!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Thinking About Aliens (the movie) the Nerf gun

That's so ludicrous it almost loops back round to being good. But where's my smart gun, you tat peddlers?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I have never preordered something so fast in my entire life.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Xenomrph posted:

I have never preordered something so fast in my entire life.

Link?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I wish I knew why I pre ordered it.

Oh, it has a digital round counter? That's why.

https://hasbropulse.com/products/nerf-lmtd-aliens-m41-a-blaster

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

I wish I knew why I pre ordered it.

Oh, it has a digital round counter? That's why.

drat. Wanna buy this for my son :stare:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Biplane posted:

drat. Wanna buy this for myself :stare:

Fixed that for you

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck Haspulse, but that price is legit like half what I expected it to be.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh gently caress why did you show me that? I'm ordering it now.

Sentinel Red posted:

Still thinking about Alien, mainly because I had a loving horrendous dream last night where every room in my house had Sevastopol style vents in the ceiling and the big chap kept dropping down to take a look. Strangely, I seemed to be having a party or something because loads of people were also there but I guess they must all be androids because it ignored them all and kept looking for me, cowering behind the sofa and a laundry rack.

I've had almost this exact dream before. It's horrifying.

Splicer posted:

It cannot be emphasised enough that the actual predator in predator 2 is, in-universe, incredibly lovely at predatoring.

The 90s LA gangs and cops were never on the same level as spec-ops jungle warriors, the other Predators just sent their youngblood to lovely hunting grounds because it was hilarious to them. They trained him wrong, as a joke.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Oh gently caress why did you show me that? I'm ordering it now.

I've had almost this exact dream before. It's horrifying.

The 90s LA gangs and cops were never on the same level as spec-ops jungle warriors, the other Predators just sent their youngblood to lovely hunting grounds because it was hilarious to them. They trained him wrong, as a joke.

Moving the earth to avoid the absolute fact that Danny Glover hunted a Predator down, cut off its arm, chased it back to its ship, and then gutted it with its own weapon, firmly establishing that Lieutenant Mike Harrigan >>> Major Alan "Dutch" Schaefer.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Fireteam in 7 days :toot:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Yeah, I'm in on the Nerf gun too. Can't not.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Sentinel Red posted:

Thinking About Aliens (the movie) the Nerf gun

That's so ludicrous it almost loops back round to being good. But where's my smart gun, you tat peddlers?

Ha I won't buy this.

Okay I bought it.

Are you happy now.

ARE YOU HAPPY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I won't buy the nerf gun because I don't know what I'd do with it besides put it up against my shelf in the computer room and that doesn't do it justice. One of the very few times I wish I had a kid. Plus I'd have to spend a lot of time painting it, which I'm imagining some of you will do.

Update... I'm watching Predator 2 right now. Conclusion: It's good. And Bill Paxton is in half the movie and as always, he steals the show.

Being awesome... It's my specialty!

edit: Is it canon that the Predator from 1 is the same in 2? Glover says "You are one ugly m...." and the Predator finishes it... "Mother fucker." So he'd have to know that from Arnold. Unless the Predators chat around the break room.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 18, 2021