Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If I understand correctly, the prior game Free League came out with (and Cubicle 7 later adapted to 5E) dealt with a time prior to the Hobbit.

Nope. Both are between the Hobbit and LOTR, the original's default time was closer to the Hobbit that Free League's, but other than that, the biggest difference is area of the map focused on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If I understand correctly, the prior game Free League came out with (and Cubicle 7 later adapted to 5E) dealt with a time prior to the Hobbit. The current game is set between the prewritten Hobbit, which might be considered canon start, to The Lord of the Rings, which might be considered canon end. If their next publication will have you play after The Lord of the Rings, it seems like it's supporting metaplot, even if it's not in itself writing that plot, because it's using existing fiction for it.

I've just started reading the alpha test book, so we'll have to see how much of this bears out.

TOR 1e (which was C7, Free League didn't come anywhere near anything until they picked up 2e to publish) was already set during the exact same time period. You play adventurers in Rhovanion starting a couple of years after the Battle of Five Armies. There is no progression of a metaplot between supplement releases, it's all just books covering new regions around Rhovanion or adventures set in that general time period.

If they start releasing adventures/supplements for 2e that all tie in sequentially to Sauron's return and are counting down to the actual War of the Ring and have some sort of plot happening in them then that would definitely be metaplot.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 17, 2021

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Fair enough.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Lemon-Lime posted:

Metaplot is when there's a plot actually happening from supplement to supplement, in parallel to whatever the players are doing and with them having no real input because it's being authored by someone.

Metaplot is not just something being set between two known events.

That is a distinction I can wrap my head around. Thank you.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Lemon-Lime posted:

Metaplot is when there's a plot actually happening from supplement to supplement, in parallel to whatever the players are doing and with them having no real input because it's being authored by someone.

Metaplot is not just something being set between two known events.

Dang, that's well-articulated!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Why is metaplot called "meta" plot? Isn't it just... plot? It's not particularly self-referential.

Maybe it should be called superplot, or background plot, or worldplot, or something?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leperflesh posted:

Why is metaplot called "meta" plot? Isn't it just... plot? It's not particularly self-referential.

Maybe it should be called superplot, or background plot, or worldplot, or something?

I think it's because in an RPG you're expected to create plot with your friends. (Or, more often, play along with the plot of one of your friends, the DM/GM).

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I assume because "plot" is usually thought of as "whatever's going on in this campaign" while the metaplot arches across all campaigns

E:
"Meta" in the original Greek sense of "a level beyond." I seem to recall that the "self-referential" sense wasn't as widespread at the time as it is now.

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 17, 2021

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Lemon-Lime posted:

TOR 1e (which was C7, Free League didn't come anywhere near anything until they picked up 2e to publish) was already set during the exact same time period. You play adventurers in Rhovanion starting a couple of years after the Battle of Five Armies. There is no progression of a metaplot between supplement releases, it's all just books covering new regions around Rhovanion or adventures set in that general time period.

If they start releasing adventures/supplements for 2e that all tie in sequentially to Sauron's return and are counting down to the actual War of the Ring and have some sort of plot happening in them then that would definitely be metaplot.

At least under C7, the default year for TOR2E was pushed forward ten years.

Since 1E was five years after the Battle of the Five Armies, this would have been 15 years afterwards. Still closer to the Hobbit than LOTR.

No idea what Free League is planning to do with their take on the edition.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

I assume because "plot" is usually thought of as "whatever's going on in this campaign" while the metaplot arches across all campaigns

E:
"Meta" in the original Greek sense of "a level beyond." I seem to recall that the "self-referential" sense wasn't as widespread at the time as it is now.

That makes sense, I suppose. The plot which spans across all tables playing this game.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
What things still have a metaplot? Battletech? I'm referring to things that release and specifically advance the story.

I guess both Warhammer games, 40k and AoS still have a metaplot, but I don't know if 40k's metaplot does anything.

Technically, Warhammer fantasy might have the single most "absolutely devastating and player enraging metaplot" you could imagine, since Age of Sigmar is a direct continuation of the Warhammer Fantasy world and they literally blew up an entire game line and world to advance it.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
E: never mind, apparently I was extremely behind the times when I wrote this.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

What things still have a metaplot? Battletech? I'm referring to things that release and specifically advance the story.

I guess both Warhammer games, 40k and AoS still have a metaplot, but I don't know if 40k's metaplot does anything.

Technically, Warhammer fantasy might have the single most "absolutely devastating and player enraging metaplot" you could imagine, since Age of Sigmar is a direct continuation of the Warhammer Fantasy world and they literally blew up an entire game line and world to advance it.

Shadowrun has had ongoing metaplot since its original release, D&D has it with some of its stuff such as the Forgotten Realms, there's metaplot of sorts in Unknown Armies and Delta Green, Corvus Belli's Infinity has it as previously mentioned which is causing a huge bottleneck with the Mophidus RPGs based on it as everything has to go through approvals.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/BoardGameGeek/status/1427281645275582466

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Does Battletech still have an advancing plot, or does everyone ignore what happened and just use the part of the timeline they like? What was the state of the galaxy at the latest point in the time line?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Unfortunately, I'm about as familiar with BoL as I am with H+I.

Barbarians of Lemuria and Honor + Intrigue are good. H+I is not a very crunchy game but you can swash a buckle in it well enough and it has advice in the book for adding magic to the game. It’s significantly more fun and playable than say 7th Sea 2e’s system. It would probably wear thin from like a year’s-long campaign or something but for a few adventures it’s fine.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Thanks for the info!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Well I guess the container shortage doesn't look so bad if you can't make the games in the first place?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Eastmabl posted:

At least under C7, the default year for TOR2E was pushed forward ten years.

Since 1E was five years after the Battle of the Five Armies, this would have been 15 years afterwards. Still closer to the Hobbit than LOTR.

No idea what Free League is planning to do with their take on the edition.

From the 2e alpha PDF:

So still closer to the Hobbit than Fellowship (which starts c. TA 3001).

I really don't see the point in moving away from Rhovanion and moving the timeline forward, personally, and I have no idea why they decided to do it. Sauron was already returning in the late 2940s/early 2950s, and there's much more potential for interesting not covered in the books in the Wilderland than there is in Eriador (which is extremely boring).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 17, 2021

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

From the 2e alpha PDF:

I really don't see the point in moving away from Rhovanion and moving the timeline forward, personally, and I have no idea why they decided to do it. Sauron was already returning in the late 2940s/early 2950s, and there's much more potential for interesting not covered in the books in the Wilderland than there is in Eriador (which is extremely boring).
MERP was set in TA 1650 or so, IIRC, but that's probably too unfamiliar a timeline for the audience TOR is trying to reach.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Lemon-Lime posted:

From the 2e alpha PDF:

I'm less sure on the timeline (maybe to avoid conflicting with published adventures from the first edition? IDK, looking at a timeline of the Third Age I don't see any big, obvious "oh, of course they moved it forward so you could see X in a game" moments), but I assume moving the focus to Eriador was because it gets you more locations and peoples recognizable to a wider audience and also an audience that skews more toward LotR fans who aren't necessarily Hobbit fans. A cynic might say that decision was driven by the generally poor reception of the Hobbit movies, but I also remember the Eriador supplement for 1e being one of the more popular--and requested, before it came out--ones.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

MERP was set in TA 1650 or so, IIRC, but that's probably too unfamiliar a timeline for the audience TOR is trying to reach.

TOR's first edition was set in 2946, as previously mentioned, which was completely fine from a "there are interesting things for the PCs to do and/or prevent" point of view.

GimpInBlack posted:

I'm less sure on the timeline (maybe to avoid conflicting with published adventures from the first edition? IDK, looking at a timeline of the Third Age I don't see any big, obvious "oh, of course they moved it forward so you could see X in a game" moments), but I assume moving the focus to Eriador was because it gets you more locations and peoples recognizable to a wider audience and also an audience that skews more toward LotR fans who aren't necessarily Hobbit fans. A cynic might say that decision was driven by the generally poor reception of the Hobbit movies, but I also remember the Eriador supplement for 1e being one of the more popular--and requested, before it came out--ones.

I don't think the Hobbit films had much to do with any of this, but I definitely think it's because Bree and the Shire are more marketable to the general public than Mirkwood and the rest of the Wilderland.

It's a shame, because 1e being set in a (relatively) less explored part of the world is part of what made it so good.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

I was more poking at ppl who are trying to come up with some hidden secret key to doing a "good metaplot" and it's like no! there isn't one! let your pcs do things!

also calling what people are saying about metaplots "nostalgia" is like calling thinking about all the times you got beat up on the playground "nostalgia" lmao
I said anti-nostalgia! I don't know the fancy German word for what I mean.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Tired: stretch goals to pay contributors better

Wired:
https://twitter.com/laura_hirsb/status/1427653966226132996

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
$0, $10, or $20 for your writing

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Comstar posted:

Does Battletech still have an advancing plot, or does everyone ignore what happened and just use the part of the timeline they like? What was the state of the galaxy at the latest point in the time line?

They just came out with a big metaplot book advancing the timeline like last week, but yes also most people just use the part of the timeline they like. It's a bigger deal to choose a time period to play in BT because of how it determines what tech is available for mechs on the table, it's a really big part of gameplay.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

90s Cringe Rock posted:

$0, $10, or $20 for your writing

Honestly, offering to pay 2/5 of a cent per word might be more insulting than not paying anything.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So I just want to note, 5000 words is on average about ten pages, single spaced. I can’t even put up a block of lorem ipsum to show you how long it looks because it’d be too spammy. Hell, the lorem ipsum generator I found won’t go over 2500. (http://www.dummytextgenerator.com/)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Comstar posted:

BattleTech both has an advancing plot and also new products that fill in blanks and niches in previous time periods. For instance, they recently (as in within the last few years) put out a lot of lore that filled in the time period in between the formation of the Clans and the Clan invasion, and a book on the First Succession War. These are events in the past of BattleTech's history that were mostly just mentioned in passing by content that takes place in later time periods.

BattleTech is pretty big on the "space historical" concept where you're encouraged to play in whatever time period you want, and there's a lot of support for most time periods. The sourcebooks for time periods have very little rules content except for some really period-specific stuff for adding flavor to the time period, so you don't miss out on anything if you don't buy books for periods you're not interested in.

What really makes the ongoing plot work, if you're interested in it to begin with, is that instead of focusing on small parties of characters changing the world, the plot is focused on starfaring supernations and massive mercenary units and their leaders. The typical player game is as a member of a small mercenary unit or as part of a squad-level unit of a regular military, so the scale of the stuff in the plot is not really within your control.

There's enough scale and ambiguity and blank space in the lore that you can insert yourself into any conflict or event. And you can pull off some incredibly heroic stuff that in a smaller-scale conflict would make you the stuff of legends. But the scale of it all is just so drat big that dang if you can hope to do anything about it. In fact, there's usually more of a fatalistic "worlds get shattered because a noble felt slighted, and the best thing you can hope for is to come out of it alive and richer."

If you don't care for that you can just say "gently caress the plot" and do what-ifs and alternate timelines. The game content is sold mostly separately from the ongoing plot so you don't have to pay for lore you don't care about. The game encourages and makes it easy to mix and match whatever makes things the most fun.

IMO it's great. Hanse Davion doesn't need plot armor because either he would never entertain the thought of some filthy mercs getting anywhere near him, or because it's highly encouraged to explore the consequences of one of the most important people in the galaxy eating a bullet from your party's assassin.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Stormgale posted:

Tired: stretch goals to pay contributors better

Wired:
https://twitter.com/laura_hirsb/status/1427653966226132996

It looks like the tweet was taken down. What was the general gist?

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Lemon-Lime posted:

From the 2e alpha PDF:

Cynical take: they already sold you the books from the interesting time period, but need to justify the new edition.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eastmabl posted:

Calling out a Kickstarter offering 0, 10 or 20 bucks depend8ng on KS success to contributors writing 5000 words.

As the only payment they’d get.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Eastmabl posted:

Kickstarter of a thing using stretch goal to pay contributors, i.e. if the kickstarter succeeds they get 0 dollars
stretch goals for 10 dollars flat or 20 dollars flat for 5k words.

Apparently it's volume 3 of a thing?

https://www.yearbetween.com/submissions

https://twitter.com/katheroony/status/1427685637331816454

https://twitter.com/katheroony/status/1427686824324046853

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Stormgale posted:

Kickstarter of a thing using stretch goal to pay contributors, i.e. if the kickstarter succeeds they get 0 dollars
stretch goals for 10 dollars flat or 20 dollars flat for 5k words.

Apparently it's volume 3 of a thing?

https://www.yearbetween.com/submissions

https://twitter.com/katheroony/status/1427685637331816454

https://twitter.com/katheroony/status/1427686824324046853

Cheesy Pete's, sometimes you absolutely need to call people out on rubbish like that.

I can see doing something for free because it will go into a book. I have five hundred words in the Stargate RPG that I didn't get paid for, but it was a short description I'd already written and I love the setting.

But unless it's "here's a license where you can include my 5000 words in this book, and I have non-exclusive rights to publish on my own by this date (sum certain)"...

... That's a right offensive deal.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I read that chain and I think Op might have deleted it because she came around to the conclusion of "This is apparently a nonprofit venture so my tone is kind of lovely, but they really should be charging more for the kickstarter if they aren't making enough money to pay their writers and even the dude running the thing."

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Have they said who or what the money people spend on the Kickstarter goes to?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Apparently the kickstarter money as stated is literally just as much as it takes to make and ship the books, the stretch goals are "actually pay people for their labor" tiers.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Kurieg posted:

Apparently the kickstarter money as stated is literally just as much as it takes to make and ship the books, the stretch goals are "actually pay people for their labor" tiers.

So, like, what happens when someone who didn't do the Kickstarter buys the book on their Kindle? Do the authors get some of that?

Even if this is someone's utopian ideal of publishing, it's still loving shiiiitty.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I believe @forexposure_txt on Twitter has the relevant screenshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The excuse is "but we're poor"
https://twitter.com/aboutrunning/status/1427664619410239492
https://twitter.com/aboutrunning/status/1427666384536936449

You're the one running a kickstarter, try including "payment for writers" in the base cost for gently caress's sake