Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I love how many of the mods are just ways to make it look more like the GBA games. just play those, you goombas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Veib posted:

Yeah I also used the MaxiQuest font, it's good

Also I just found out that it was updated last week but I have no idea what's different from the original release from two weeks ago:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G1GCQ0vr0y3GEeTUqCehAeRiCYke6Nu1/view

They have been updating it for non-English Latin character sets I think. Spanish, French, Italian, etc.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've been using this font mod and have been liking it a lot https://twitter.com/PateraQuetzaI/status/1422805714355982336

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh that one looks good, thanks

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Another thing about XI, bear in mind they tweaked it a while back to make it much more forgiving, but back in the day the level cap quests involved doing a 1v1 fight against this 1 random old guy, who would be using whatever job you were. The problem is they really didn't tune these fights for jobs that weren't naturally solo-friendly, so they could be a loving headache.

IIRC the Dragoon one essentially required you to use a very specific order of abilities and items, and you still had to pray for luck to do enough damage before he killed you.

e: there's like literally 20+ strategies on this page lol

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 16, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

loldrg

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Schwartzcough posted:

Do you need an internet connection to play the PRs on phone? Considering getting one or two for some plane flights.

So I got FF3 on phone through the Google Play store. It absolutely requires you to have an internet connection to play. Combined with the unfortunate phone controls, the terrible font (that I don't know if you can edit on phone), and inability to play while traveling despite being a premium game I payed almost $20 for, I might just try for a refund.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Another thing about XI, bear in mind they tweaked it a while back to make it much more forgiving, but back in the day the level cap quests involved doing a 1v1 fight against this 1 random old guy, who would be using whatever job you were. The problem is they really didn't tune these fights for jobs that weren't naturally solo-friendly, so they could be a loving headache.

IIRC the Dragoon one essentially required you to use a very specific order of abilities and items, and you still had to pray for luck to do enough damage before he killed you.

I knew so many piss-poor refresh bot red mages back in the day that picked the job for an easy ride to 75, only to start over leveling a job with an easier Maat fight because they just couldn't beat him. Which was weird, because RDMs didn't need any consumables and farming for their testament was practice for exactly what you would need to do in the fight

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also, I got the pixel remasters, what typeface mod is everyone using
I like the GBA/DS fonts so I'm using a FF3/4DS font mod, but I also have some other FF fonts downloaded, like the FF6 font and the FF7 font.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HD DAD posted:

I think it was supposedly August 19th.

kinda weird if that’s the actual date that they haven’t announced it yet

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, I'm not expecting a shadowdrop in three days, I'm assuming it'll probably be late August or September at least before we see them at this point.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It requires an internet connection on Android but not on iPhone? Thats absolutely baffling.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Veib posted:

Yeah I also used the MaxiQuest font, it's good

Also I just found out that it was updated last week but I have no idea what's different from the original release from two weeks ago:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G1GCQ0vr0y3GEeTUqCehAeRiCYke6Nu1/view

Maybe it includes numbers? The original didn't.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Barudak posted:

It requires an internet connection on Android but not on iPhone? Thats absolutely baffling.

Much easier to pirate stuff on android

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Honestly, his tuning wasn't that bad; he got pretty much exactly what you got at 71 except he was a Hume using hand-to-hand (which had its problems if you were playing a race that was worse at the things your job did, or if it was a raw damage fight since the level 71 H2H WS is very good and a lot of WSes slightly before it... weren't) , and had forfeit conditions for most jobs whose role wasn't just "do damage".
The pain came from him having perfect lag-free execution while you (at least, me) were on dialup connecting to servers in Japan.

Satisfying as all hell, a real feeling that you'd mastered your chosen role, when you (well, again, me) pulled off the Samurai special win condition that required doing a self-triple-skillchain at a level where it was only possible by not just timing consumables perfectly, but also doing in-combo weapon swapping that would make Dante blush. Sucked rear end try #1 when I lag spiked, hit one of them at 120 TP, and sat there looking sad at the 80 left that wasn't enough to finish the combo while he beat the crap out of me, though. :v:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I just loving crumped Maat on Warrior with Sleep to 300 TP > Mighty Strikes Raging Rush into Icarus Wing and another Raging Rush self Fragmentation skillchain. The actual fight took about ten seconds. I started keeping an Icarus Wing in my pocket more often so I could do that trick for other bosses after that

The Rampage, Raging Rush, and Steel Cyclone SFX are burnt into my brain

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh drat I didn't see someone ported the Dragon Quest XI and FF6 SNES fonts to the Pixel Remasters, nice. Guess I'm morally obligated to use the FF6 SNES font for the FF6 PR whenever it comes out.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Why would you remind me I did this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Why would you remind me I did this.

Its been said before but Loldrg

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In FF3, should a Black Belt be unarmed, or use knuckles like the Kaiser Knuckles?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How is he gonna punch if he doesn't have arms?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Harrow posted:

In FF3, should a Black Belt be unarmed, or use knuckles like the Kaiser Knuckles?

You need a pretty high job level to make it worth using your fists, iirc

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

thetoughestbean posted:

You need a pretty high job level to make it worth using your fists, iirc

Barehand allegedly gets special treatment in the damage formula; claws (and all other non-forced-twohand weapons) have JL/11 and the hidden weapon proficiency stat (equal to attacks made / 33)/9 added to attack, while barehand has character level/9 and the entire weapon proficiency stat added. The original sources for how melee proficiency works are long gone, but bare being worth an extra mid-2 digits in attack by around when the changes visible on the stats screen draw within that range is something I can empirically confirm.

Screw custom balance, screw kaizo mods, even kinda screw the amazing music rearrangements we've gotten. What I really want is for someone with a decompiler to hit these games up so I can huff farts about exact damage formulae with peak efficiency, I've been trying to replicate them by eye and experiment since my elementary school circle wanted to play something like D&D but our moms wouldn't let us but maybe we could try copying what our NES games did and that grail is almost within reach. :v:

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 17, 2021

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mandoric posted:

the hidden weapon proficiency stat

are you loving kidding me

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

lmao now that's some ff2 jank right in the heart of ff3

not surprising tho i always thought my sword guy was weaker while temporarily switched to dragoon and dark knight but i thought that was just down to the accuracy problems of using a job with low job level

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
A hidden weapon proficiency stat is the least surprising surprise I could imagine for FF3, that seems right up its alley.

...does the stat actually work, though? That's always the important thing to ask with an FF game.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Cleretic posted:

A hidden weapon proficiency stat is the least surprising surprise I could imagine for FF3, that seems right up its alley.

...does the stat actually work, though? That's always the important thing to ask with an FF game.

It doesn't appear to exist in the NES SRM map (though some unknown values have potential), but it's generally accepted to exist and work in at least DS version, and the general stat profiles and existence of several job skills support base balance being borrowed from there and then tweaked back to more but not completely NESlike. It also grants extra attacks beyond AGI/16+LV/16+JL/16, which is the only explanation I have for my lv60 jl60-80 Ninjas starting to 35x hit when on NES they'd be 1 + (LV/16)=3 +(AGI/16)=4 = 16x and even 1 hit per 14 JL would only boost that to 24, while a revised 1 per 14 average proficiency (some observers say 1 per 7 but are probably assuming dualwield) brings that exactly to observed 35.

Also note, if comments about DS are right, it's PER HAND. Don't take your Excalibur/Moon Ring Ninja and swap which hand they hold them in, or your Ragnarok/Masamune Ninja either. (Or do to help prove/disprove at least the handedness.)

E: This is why I want the drat decompile already, and next payday (sadly as a translator it's quarterly) might just drop the $180 to the Russians whose demo decompiler gives me these tantalizing
code:
        private int get_HitRate()
        {
            //
            // Hide for demo version!
            //

}
snippets.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 17, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Dropping nearly two hundo for a decompile sounds like a terrible idea

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Augus posted:

kinda weird if that’s the actual date that they haven’t announced it yet

The only place I've seen this supposed 19 Aug release date is here in this thread.

If my phone is not leading me astray this Famitsu article says "early Sept" for IV? Can anyone who can read Japanese properly confirm?

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Here's front facing NED.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

taichara posted:

The only place I've seen this supposed 19 Aug release date is here in this thread.

If my phone is not leading me astray this Famitsu article says "early Sept" for IV? Can anyone who can read Japanese properly confirm?

Yeah it says early September for IV.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Spikey posted:

Here's front facing NED.

For some reason it never really occured to me until now that this is just all the bad juju that originally got stuffed inside the tree partially disentangling from each other.

Also hi penis dragon

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Man I can't wait for FFV and FFVI.

I barely played the three already out because I keep getting distracted by other games and because I can,t decide on character builds when I do play them lol.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Full set done! :toot:

Now to wait for FF4.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Where can we get the font fixes for the pixel remaster? It looks like there is a pretty good Mystic Quest pack, can anyone recommend that or the Final Fantasy 6 Font?

edit - FF6 font is great, I used this guide https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/11522-how-to-fix-that-awful-font-in-the-final-fantasy-pixel-remaster-games-on-pc

Is there any way to disable the minimap?

Why wouldn't they just use the bubble FF font from the damage and status popups, as the font for the game?

Grevlek fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 17, 2021

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Grevlek posted:

Where can we get the font fixes for the pixel remaster? It looks like there is a pretty good Mystic Quest pack, can anyone recommend that or the Final Fantasy 6 Font?

I use the FF6 one and its great imo and I haven't noticed any weird issues with length or whatever. It feels like the most Final Fantasy option to me

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mandoric posted:

It doesn't appear to exist in the NES SRM map (though some unknown values have potential), but it's generally accepted to exist and work in at least DS version, and the general stat profiles and existence of several job skills support base balance being borrowed from there and then tweaked back to more but not completely NESlike. It also grants extra attacks beyond AGI/16+LV/16+JL/16, which is the only explanation I have for my lv60 jl60-80 Ninjas starting to 35x hit when on NES they'd be 1 + (LV/16)=3 +(AGI/16)=4 = 16x and even 1 hit per 14 JL would only boost that to 24, while a revised 1 per 14 average proficiency (some observers say 1 per 7 but are probably assuming dualwield) brings that exactly to observed 35.

Also note, if comments about DS are right, it's PER HAND. Don't take your Excalibur/Moon Ring Ninja and swap which hand they hold them in, or your Ragnarok/Masamune Ninja either. (Or do to help prove/disprove at least the handedness.)

E: This is why I want the drat decompile already, and next payday (sadly as a translator it's quarterly) might just drop the $180 to the Russians whose demo decompiler gives me these tantalizing
code:
        private int get_HitRate()
        {
            //
            // Hide for demo version!
            //

}
snippets.

I'm genuinely disappointed that the PRs didn't elucidate any of these mechanics.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Grevlek posted:

edit - FF6 font is great, I used this guide https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/11522-how-to-fix-that-awful-font-in-the-final-fantasy-pixel-remaster-games-on-pc

Is there any way to disable the minimap?

Why wouldn't they just use the bubble FF font from the damage and status popups, as the font for the game?

The FF Modding Discord.

It has all the font mods one could want as well as a bunch of other mods. As for the minimap, I don't think there's a way to disable it in-game, but of course there's a mod for that.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

BisbyWorl posted:

Full set done! :toot:

Now to wait for FF4.

I'm really glad that they didn't go for frustrating achievements like 'get 99 job lvl. for every single job'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
starting to doubt that FFIV PR is coming out soon