Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
How soon will we get any updates in the Breese district lawsuit? I’ve been looking around but don’t see anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jows
May 8, 2002

xzzy posted:

It won't work because all governance is paralyzed by being perfectly split down the middle, this is the cesspool America built for itself so now we get to wallow in it.

Though for me personally, I'm about ready for a US amendment to allow the feds to deal with public health crises.

That's terrifying too though. If that were the case when the 2025 supercovidaids pandemic hits President DeSantis will mandate bleach injections.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

CaptainJuan posted:

My guess is that mandates will come with full FDA approval rather than the current Emergency Use Authorization. Not that that's necessarily a good, evidence-based policy, the EUA should be sufficient, but it's politically easier.

That is exactly what is being waited for. Once there is full FDA approval you can have all government employees and contractors required and a lot of private businesses will also put in requirements as well, especially if they work with government/state.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Jows posted:

That's terrifying too though. If that were the case when the 2025 supercovidaids pandemic hits President DeSantis will mandate bleach injections.

Be realistic! After the 2023 version where deer covid 22 picks up chronic wasting disease, very few people will catch supercovidaids

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Cairo is a special case for Downstate IL because (a) it was never a farming town, it was all about river trade; and (b) Unlike most of Downstate, Cairo is majority black.

It's always struck me as weird it's not bigger or more important. On a fantasy map, there'd be a giant city plopped down there with zero hesitation.

I vaguely remember something from high school about Cairo not having a good harbor, because the rivers always silted it in. And putting a railroad through was very difficult.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

mastershakeman posted:

Trick question, there are no rich places outside of the Chicago suburbs so nowhere is upstate

Now I'm wondering what the richest place is outside Chicagoland? Somewher e tiny near Peoria that has some caterpillar execs ?

Edit according to some Wikipedia per Capita income article it looks like it's Topeka Illinois, population 90, in Mason county

Decatur is where the wealthiest people outside of Chicago live. The Andreases and Buffets have their estates there.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

CarpenterWalrus posted:

Decatur is where the wealthiest people outside of Chicago live. The Andreases and Buffets have their estates there.

Is that all ADM money?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

CarpenterWalrus posted:

Carbondale also has some of the wealthier residents. There's vineyards down there.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

Bird in a Blender posted:

Is that all ADM money?
Andreas family is all ADM money, Howard Buffett I think also worked for ADM but gets his money from being Warren's son. If the Rust family is still in Bloomington they'd be another option since they ran State Farm for so long. There could be some old Caterpillar money around Peoria but can't think of anyone specific there.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Bloomington and the surrounding environs have State Farm execs.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Bloomington and the surrounding environs have State Farm execs.

Also some Country Financial big wigs have been involved in the area for a while.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
https://twitter.com/AmandaVinicky/status/1428049606701629443?s=19

e: vvv agreed.

for me to poop on

CaptainJuan fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 18, 2021

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

drat I want one

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Indiana University students sued IU over its vaccine mandate (no vaccine equals having to wear a mask and regular testing). Justice Amy Coney Barrett rejected their lawsuit and refused to send it to the full court.

I’m kind of surprised that a lawsuit came out of IU of all places. I’d think opposition to that policy must be a fairly niche opinion on the campus. I’d expect that from a place like Purdue or something.

This whole mask mandate stuff is interesting, I haven’t been following it very much since I don’t have a kid in school and I’m not a teacher. I imagine the boards voting against it are just interested in survival, even if they end up relenting to get funding. If you didn’t vote against masks in the first votes then you’ll be voted out next time around.

In my school district, a handful of challengers swept the board elections during the most recent elections. I think it was because they were the only people to send out flyers; they just win by default because they have a monopoly on people’s thoughts. So all you have to do is send out a flyer with a gun on it and say “the previous guy voted for masks!” and you just win.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Been getting a ton of Pritzker ads where he's basically taking a victory lap for not like completely loving up the Covid response.

"Pritzker: hey man at least you're not living in Missouri or Florida"

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Monkey Fracas posted:

Been getting a ton of Pritzker ads where he's basically taking a victory lap for not like completely loving up the Covid response.

How wrong of a statement is that? Because I sure as poo poo am glad I'm not living in Missouri or Flordia.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Source4Leko posted:

How wrong of a statement is that? Because I sure as poo poo am glad I'm not living in Missouri or Flordia.

:same:

although I haven't won a vax lotto drawing yet, what's up with that

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Eeyo posted:

I’m kind of surprised that a lawsuit came out of IU of all places. I’d think opposition to that policy must be a fairly niche opinion on the campus. I’d expect that from a place like Purdue or something.

This whole mask mandate stuff is interesting, I haven’t been following it very much since I don’t have a kid in school and I’m not a teacher. I imagine the boards voting against it are just interested in survival, even if they end up relenting to get funding. If you didn’t vote against masks in the first votes then you’ll be voted out next time around.

In my school district, a handful of challengers swept the board elections during the most recent elections. I think it was because they were the only people to send out flyers; they just win by default because they have a monopoly on people’s thoughts. So all you have to do is send out a flyer with a gun on it and say “the previous guy voted for masks!” and you just win.

Bloomington has had a lot of issues in the last few years. It has always been an island in the middle of a wasteland. They have had some open Nazi problems at various city events (most notably the farmers market) which they are part unwilling and unable to solve. You had Vauhxx Booker attempted lynching that was handled about as badly as possible and they just charged him with a felony at his own attempted lynching.

While the city and a lot of the campus has always leaned a little more hippy/lefty that has changed a lot in the last decade as you see the effects of Indiana growing more conservative in general and a lot of the older residents/faculty retire and/or move. Also there has always been a pretty sizable and frankly disgusting Young Republican group at IU, which is where I assume it came from.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Djarum posted:

Bloomington has had a lot of issues in the last few years. It has always been an island in the middle of a wasteland. They have had some open Nazi problems at various city events (most notably the farmers market) which they are part unwilling and unable to solve. You had Vauhxx Booker attempted lynching that was handled about as badly as possible and they just charged him with a felony at his own attempted lynching.

While the city and a lot of the campus has always leaned a little more hippy/lefty that has changed a lot in the last decade as you see the effects of Indiana growing more conservative in general and a lot of the older residents/faculty retire and/or move. Also there has always been a pretty sizable and frankly disgusting Young Republican group at IU, which is where I assume it came from.

As a resident of Bloomington IL I was really confused for a minute why I hadn't heard about this in the local media at all. Though we are the birthplace of the founder of the drat American nazi party soooo we've got some nazi poo poo to figure out, too.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

It's kind of a lovely thing to run political ads about but there would be thousands more dead in this state if Rauner was in charge.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

It's kind of a lovely thing to run political ads about but there would be thousands more dead in this state if Rauner was in charge.

It's true, yeah- glad The Big Boy was in charge when this happened

Just kind of galling for someone to be congratulating themselves over clearing a bar buried a mile underground

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
https://southernillinoisnow.com/202...t-mask-mandate/

Marvel as my school district complains that it isn’t fair that ISBE is quickly smacking non compliant school district!

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Yeah we got a letter that we were on probation and our school board very quickly backed down. Now they just whine about it.

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

Nash posted:

https://southernillinoisnow.com/202...t-mask-mandate/

Marvel as my school district complains that it isn’t fair that ISBE is quickly smacking non compliant school district!

I really wonder what will happen if the schools don't back down. Like, are the kids just supposed to go however far away to another school if they lose their accreditation? Like any school has the capacity to take on more kids. It really makes me sick how lovely these schools are being by being so openly defiant.

At least Effingham was smart enough to mandate them, even if it was only for fear of lawsuits.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

They would shut down if they could not find the funding. Then that money would be used to bus students to new districts. It would completely overwhelm the other schools but that would be figured out at that time.

If they somehow found the funding, they could continue running but no one would recognize the students’ diplomas or transcripts. If any student wanted to go to college, they would have to take a GED to prove their level of education.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
is there a front runner for who is going to run against JB yet, because this seems like a bad start.

https://twitter.com/hannahmeisel/status/1428408565933477895

https://twitter.com/hannahmeisel/status/1428410310172545026

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.dph.illinois.gov/covid19/vaccination-zip-code

neat site, some weird flukes to see - the spot just north of lake forest might be a navy training base and not reported? and a few real tiny zips around the state. but overall a good picture

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

Bugsy posted:

is there a front runner for who is going to run against JB yet, because this seems like a bad start.

https://twitter.com/hannahmeisel/status/1428408565933477895

https://twitter.com/hannahmeisel/status/1428410310172545026

I see a poo poo ton of Darren Bailey signs around but surely that can't happen....right?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/HeatherCherone/status/1428361066904363018?s=20

:thunk:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

midwest ink posted:

I see a poo poo ton of Darren Bailey signs around but surely that can't happen....right?

It all depends on if Bailey splits the crazy vote with Rabine while someone like Rodney Davis gets the moderate Rs and wins.

If Bailey can keep the crazy vote, get Rabine to drop out and somehow pull in the moderate suburban Rs, he is the top front runner. But if I was another crazy R running, I would be trying to peel off the crazy R votes in the north by constantly bringing up him trying to kick Chicago out.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

They would shut down if they could not find the funding. Then that money would be used to bus students to new districts. It would completely overwhelm the other schools but that would be figured out at that time.

If they somehow found the funding, they could continue running but no one would recognize the students’ diplomas or transcripts. If any student wanted to go to college, they would have to take a GED to prove their level of education.

Well depending on the district they would likely split it between several different districts to help with the overflow and transportation. But it is basically the nuclear option. If you lose a school district it is normally the end of a community at large since most parents won’t deal with having a long commute for their children, especially in rural areas.

In Indiana for example places that lost their school district basically shrank to almost nothing in a matter of 3 years. I had a friend when I was younger in a town that the district got absorbed into another. It went from around a 100-150 people to 2 families and a lot of empty storefronts and houses almost over night. The commute to the school was 40 minutes each way. Only reason why her family didn’t leave was she ended up graduating early and her father’s job was a 15 minute trip.

It was a trip hanging out there at night because it was basically Silent Hill. An entire town completely empty with a lonely road running through the middle of it. We’d hang out, listen to music and do whatever we wanted. There was no police and no one to call the cops either.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Fundamentalists want to close down public schools and force everyone into religious schools anyway. So this is working great for them.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

The X-man cometh posted:

Fundamentalists want to close down public schools and force everyone into religious schools anyway. So this is working great for them.

Problem is with most of those they lack accreditation. So they are basically worthless. The Chicagoland area is the exception since you have a bunch of wealthy people sending their kids to them and are expecting superior education for the price. It is also why the religion part of a lot of them is little to none.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

The Springfield Diocese of the Catholic Church made masks mandatory in their schools which surprised me since Paprocki is a dick about so many other things. (I believe several schools in the diocese are still ignoring the rules because they do not want to tick people off)

A bunch of the homeschool/religious schools in Southern Illinois are not accredited and hire non-teachers to teach there. It will be fun when those kids have to take a GED to go to college.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

yeah, here in STL a North City alderman has loudly bragged about how he is not getting vaccinated due to "religious reasons". would anyone care to guess what religion he adheres to?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

It had better be Jehovah’s Witnesses or I am calling bullshit.

Local Rep Blaine Wilhour is going around telling school boards that they do not have to listen to ISBE because ISBE does not have the ability to put schools on probation except for the annual review. He even went to the ISBE meeting, asked foolish questions and got the answers but is claiming that “the heat is on ISBE and they cannot handle the pressure so keep standing up to them.”

Happily, my hometown just changed direction and masks are now required. My wife’s home town stood by their mask requirement (they voted to have masks even before the mandate). Also, my school has not had an issue with masks at all. Now, if only the school my daughters go to would do the same.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

It had better be Jehovah’s Witnesses or I am calling bullshit.

well, you can call bullshit
https://twitter.com/JohnMuhammadJr/status/1426695558564126724?s=20

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 22, 2021

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

the vaccine was also invented by yakub

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

drat, I have not heard Farrakhan’s name in a long time. I thought he was dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I blame Public Enemy.