Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Biowarfare posted:

why the gently caress was this not canceled

Because it's over, dude. We won. Covid is donezo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Kreeblah posted:

DBAs are loving unsung heroes. I just got moved over to a new team that's struggling with scaling an application, and it's just full of bad design decisions, many of which are database-related. They hadn't had any DBAs involved, ever, until I brought some in, and it shows. Meanwhile, I'm coming from an organization that has applications that connect to databases with hundreds of millions of records and would regularly put significant effort into shaving single-millisecond amounts off their response times, because that actually mattered. A lot of that involved effective caching layers, but our DBAs put in a ton of time optimizing poo poo as well.

i put indexes on every column why is this still slow???

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

bad boys for life posted:

Day 3 of 3rd shot of Moderna and Im 100% recovered. Was 4.5 months out from the first shot.

I just went to walmart and had them add the third shot to my existing paperwork, but for those without a "valid" reason, no one asked me a single thing about my condition.

nice, I’m gonna walk in, no appointment, and just ask for shots shots shots

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Kreeblah posted:

DBAs are loving unsung heroes.

"All this poo poo is running great! What are we paying this guy for?"

On track: Minnesota today tied their high day from the last """"wave"""".

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

smiling and thinking about the superspreader rallies trump held all throughout 2020

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Greg Legg posted:

How are the effects from the 3rd moderna dose? When I got shot #2 I got really loving sick for 2 days.

day 0: shoulder hurts a lot. can't raise left arm at all

day 1: feel like poo poo (throbbing headache when upright, sick feeling all over, fever, cold temperatures hurt). watch a movie. eyes hurt, sleep for 6 hours. watch some tv. brain hurts, sleep for 6 hours

day 2: feel a lot better, still a headache occasionally when sitting up for a while, but I can stay awake. fever mostly gone. spend most of the day watching https://www.youtube.com/user/Rambalac

day 3: fever gone, sick feeling gone, headaches gone. shoulder still a bit tender and warm, but I can move it. can sit at the computer and post.

day 4 (today): no more symptoms other than a bit of pain when raising arm above head

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
got my Only Trust Your Respirator tank in today, thanks whichever one of you drew that, poo poo looks sick

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ornery and Hornery posted:

nice, I’m gonna walk in, no appointment, and just ask for shots shots shots

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XNtTEibFvlQ

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

empty whippet box posted:

I have a friend who lives in new zealand and from his accounts, they are loving life and basically boggling at the rest of the world for how loving stupid we are and nobody wears masks or anything there because why would they really?

the idea that new zealanders are suffering from some great mental distress over the covid lockdowns is utter lunacy. they are laughing at us raucously amongst themselves, when they aren't watching with horror and tightening the locks just a little bit more every time we do something stupid

your friend is a prisoner in a gulag with no freedom, sad but true

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

This CBD is buzzing me out but it's a small price to pay to have covid immunity.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Biowarfare posted:

why the gently caress was this not canceled

Vaccines are invincibility serums and there was clearly a 100% vaccination rate there since nobody was masked. No need to test anyone. Open Biden.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Platystemon posted:

OSHA calls them “user seal checks” and they’re interchangeable. You only have to do one—positive, negative, or as described in the respirator’s manual. It should not be possible to fail one and not another if you’re conducting them properly.

So what I gather then is that I'm fine and my respirator is good and I don't need to spend even more money? Thanks. Seriously thanks all of you.

Also thanks to Garth Brooks for winning the 2022 mid-terms for the Dems. For all the good (read: none) it will do.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Death Panel Czar posted:

got my Only Trust Your Respirator tank in today, thanks whichever one of you drew that, poo poo looks sick

Is it still available or do I correctly remember the site taking it down? I’d love to order one if it’s still around.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
urgent care update: they took a forehead reading for my temperature. this nurse has some big ole phlegmy coughs! front desk staff only put on a mask when i walked in.

lol!!!!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

corona familiar posted:

day 0: shoulder hurts a lot. can't raise left arm at all

day 1: feel like poo poo (throbbing headache when upright, sick feeling all over, fever, cold temperatures hurt). watch a movie. eyes hurt, sleep for 6 hours. watch some tv. brain hurts, sleep for 6 hours

day 2: feel a lot better, still a headache occasionally when sitting up for a while, but I can stay awake. fever mostly gone. spend most of the day watching https://www.youtube.com/user/Rambalac

day 3: fever gone, sick feeling gone, headaches gone. shoulder still a bit tender and warm, but I can move it. can sit at the computer and post.

day 4 (today): no more symptoms other than a bit of pain when raising arm above head

Thanks! I will have to get some time off for this one

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

durrneez posted:

urgent care update: they took a forehead reading for my temperature. this nurse has some big ole phlegmy coughs! front desk staff only put on a mask when i walked in.

lol!!!!

phlegmy coughs are good, means they're using the tobacco vax

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

SEELCT * FROM table_name WHERE thread_id = ? ORDER BY post_date LIMIT 100000 OFFSET 50

This query will scan 100050 rows if an index on (thread_id, post_date) exists. What is on every other page does in fact matter.

There are some ways around this sort of pagination, but there are tradeoffs. It's hard to avoid if you want the ability to say "give me the 1709th page of this thread" for example.

this wouldn't be a problem if we threw everything into the data lake

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

that clip of the Uruk-Hai pulling himself further onto Boromir's sword but it's me with Moderna 3 and the nurse is a bit frightened

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

this is the thread where we post about preventable pandemics right?

https://twitter.com/YahooCanadaNews/status/1427617849254760455

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Forseti posted:

I have no idea what their code looks like, but it's not going to scan every row with an index there* if it's written in a way that can use the index (which yours is). Even if it did, 100k rows should be a joke to a modern server, especially with caches.

drat this is really going down the rabbit hole now, but expectations and reality aren't the same thing with budget relational databases. Example:

Create some test threads:
code:
mysql -uroot test -Bse "
    DROP TABLE IF EXISTS post;
    CREATE TABLE post (
      id INT AUTO_INCREMENT,
      post_id INT,
      thread_id INT,
      post_date INT,
      PRIMARY KEY (id),
      INDEX thread_id__post_date (thread_id, post_date)
    )"
for thread in {1..100}; do    # Parallelize w/ xargs if you really care about doing this fast
   for ((post=1; post <= ${RANDOM}; post++)); do
       mysql -uroot -Bse "INSERT INTO test.post VALUES (default, ${post}, ${thread}, ${RANDOM})"
   done
done
Perform a limit-offset paginated lookup:

code:
mysql> FLUSH STATUS;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> \P >/dev/null
PAGER set to '>/dev/null'
mysql> SELECT * FROM post WHERE thread_id = 81 ORDER BY post_date LIMIT 50 OFFSET 250;
50 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> \P
Default pager wasn't set, using stdout.
mysql> SHOW SESSION STATUS LIKE 'Handler%';
+----------------------------+-------+
| Variable_name              | Value |
| Handler_commit             | 1     |
| Handler_delete             | 0     |
| Handler_discover           | 0     |
| Handler_external_lock      | 2     |
| Handler_mrr_init           | 0     |
| Handler_prepare            | 0     |
| Handler_read_first         | 0     |
| Handler_read_key           | 1     |
| Handler_read_last          | 0     |
| Handler_read_next          | 299   |
| Handler_read_prev          | 0     |
| Handler_read_rnd           | 0     |
| Handler_read_rnd_next      | 0     |
| Handler_rollback           | 0     |
| Handler_savepoint          | 0     |
| Handler_savepoint_rollback | 0     |
| Handler_update             | 0     |
| Handler_write              | 0     |
It performs 300 handler operations, 1 key lookup to the first row with a matching thread_id and 299 consecutive reads down the linked list. O(n). This also doesn't change based on table cardinality, limit-offset cardinality, or what the sampling statistics happen to look like.

This operation does get CPU-expensive when we get on the order of 100k+ rows being accessed many times a second. It's something that is fine in a vacuum and an issue at concurrency. Is there an efficient caching layer in front of vbulletin now? I'm not really sure. Posts are made often enough though that caches will be regularly invalidated.

I used to maintain vbulletin forums years ago and was a MySQL DBA until I quit a month ago. Large cardinality problems (like threads with a shitload of posts) are an extremely common style of resource consumption issue.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Joey Steel posted:

The pro-tier move is to say "LSMSA".

lol

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Brag much?

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

corona familiar posted:

i did my best (one of the images were out of order in the album, and i tried to guess dates)

thanks! Ohio is doomed!

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

mdemone posted:

that clip of the Uruk-Hai pulling himself further onto Boromir's sword but it's me with Moderna 3 and the nurse is a bit frightened

The scene where Boromir has three arrows in him but it's yardstick sized Moderna syringes and I feel equally as hosed up

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

mdemone posted:

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

lol

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

corona familiar posted:

i did my best (one of the images were out of order in the album, and i tried to guess dates)

I like how iowa's weekly reporting cause it to pulse yellow to red again and again and again

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Fenarisk posted:

Got word that my hospital is opening up boosters for all of us that got it January starting September 1st, booyah.

Now if only it would do something about the impending doom and realization that as our newborn grows up I have to contend with him going to a school and finding out what dip shits >50% of the other parents are that directly threaten my family's health!

Rad, is this in the US? Do you have more details?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
man MO AR LA are real hosed(but everywhere is really)

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Either people aren't reporting or hospitalizations have really slown down since Friday.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1427703526734458883?s=20

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
to the surprise of no one, babies and toddlers are super spreaders inside a household.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1427681855286005760

we had 2 years to figure out effective and safe day care, and just punted on it. delta is going to rock a lot of people's day care world

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Pillowpants posted:

Either people aren't reporting or hospitalizations have really slown down since Friday.

on wednesday last week BNO went from 70k to 76k hospitalized in a day with big backlogs. there's a very noticeable reporting slowdown on the weekends it seems. i see no indication at all that hospitalizations are slowing down, at least looking at the PNW data

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

theres a ceiling on hospitalizations lol

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

By the look of him. Oooof. Not the wisest decision my man

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

goondolences

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Will any respirator due? Could I swing by home depot today and get the h3 paint project mask or do they have to be specialized?

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

jisforjosh posted:

How long until COVID becomes Marek's disease but in humans?

quote:

The reason this is a problem for Marek’s disease is because the vaccine is “leaky.” A leaky vaccine is one that keeps a microbe from doing serious harm to its host, but doesn’t stop the disease from replicating and spreading to another individual.

Lmao it already has

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Seems like a lot more of these stories this wave, like these dumbasses got emboldened by living through wave 1 and are now getting delta'd the gently caress out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lolllllll this fat slug is the state senator for the neighboring district. He's a terrible person through and through, gently caress him, I hope he chokes on his own lung juices