Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Re : Prey 2017

The wiki covers everything I think.

Combat Focus is very useful for beating things up. As is the shotgun. If you are taking damage, you are probably doing it a little wrong. Use turrets, start fights on your terms. Don't bother with the gloo gun it does basically nothing to else compared to just killing it. All this is IMO, I went only human powers for my run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
gloo gun can be ignored for combat 99% of the time but i seem to recall like one enemy type that needs to be frozen before you can damage it.

but once you figure out how to platform on it, it's great for getting anywhere you really shouldn't be :v:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
counter argument: gloo gun can completely immobilize enemies for a while and is able to turn a tough fight into a cakewalk.

the trick with prey is that the availiable combat tactics are VERY broad, so that any 2 runs can look entirely different

you wanna ignore guns and go heavy psi powers? that's as valid as it is fun, don't even worry about it!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Thanks all! I felt like either I was fundamentally doing something wrong and would get punished hard because poo poo would only get worse or (as it seems now) it's just a bump in difficulty I have to get over and it'll get easier once I get more tools at my disposal.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

It's been a while since I've played the main game but have been playing Moon Crash so here are some general tips mixed in with what little I remember of the main game:

-Knowing an enemy weakness helps a lot, Psychoscope scan everything once you get it. This also unlocks better powers and abilities so is worth doing.

-If you don't really care about cheevos, don't be afraid to mix and match human and typhon powers. If you do, don't be afraid to focus on either Typhon or Human stuff, as focusing one will still allow you get everywhere and do everything in the game. There are multiple endings as well!

-Eventually you will find a crafting schematic for Neuromods so you don't have to be afraid of not being able to max something out.

-Keep like at least 5ish food items on hand to heal up in between fights without having to use a medkit. In addition to the small healing the initial bit gives you the Well Fed status gives you some more healing over time. Don't be afraid to just grab one and munch them on the go.

-The Disruptor, while specifically called out as particularly effective vs machines, still stuns and does damage to biological enemies too! It's very strong for stunning phantoms early on so you can beat them to death with a wrench if you want to save resources.

-Any attack is a Sneak Attack is an enemy is unaware when you attack it, not just melee attacks! You can use this to really alpha strike particularly tough enemies down.

Early on the struggle is mostly acquiring enough resources and means to start dealing with enemies effectively. The game will start opening up once you get a few of the more crucial crafting schematics, so have fun!

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
also I'm on mobile and lazy, but if you use it right the bolt caster will make you feel like the biggest brained motherfucker this side of Seattle it feels so good

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I literally just booted it up, hella good timing!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Recycler grenades are really good. Not so much as weapons as for making a big pile of junk and turning it all into resources.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Don't enemies take like 3x damage from the wrench when frozen with the gloo gun? Seems kinda relevant as to whether the gloo gun is worth using when talking about how little ammo you'll have for all your guns :v:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Alright, played another hour or so last night and apparently I was super close to picking up the bullet schematics, and luckily there's a fabricator in the area. After making 100+ bullets the difficulty feels much more aligned to my expectations and if it keeps going like this I'll probably bump it up a notch or two.

The game just seems to be really hard that short period you only have a wrench (that you can swing 4 or 5 times before being exhausted), a gloo gun and a gun with maybe 20 bullets.

Game is excellent so far. Really scratching that system/bioshock itch I didn't know I had, and I haven't even unlocked any special powers yet. :v:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Prey starts off as a horror experience and then ends as a horror experience....for your enemies.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

gohuskies posted:

I got Bomber Crew a while ago and just got around to playing it, and is it supposed to be insanely hard? I'm having guys die on literally the first non-tutorial level. I do the main target then my navigator keeps sending me to random places all over the map that are not returning to base. I thought this was supposed to be like FTL and FTL can be challenging, but this seems absolutely merciless. I must be doing something wrong. It's the first couple levels!

Alright I played this game quite a bit yesterday and I've got some more tips. These aren't all for just the first level:

1) Out of the three first mission options, I believe the search and rescue where you drop the supplies is the easiest for sure. Start with that one. You should be able to drop the supplies before you need to mark the fighters, so do that as quickly as you can. After you drop you just need to destroy a couple groups of planes which if you man all your guns shouldn't be too hard. Also, and maybe you already realize this but just in case, after the tutorial you should recruit as many new guys as the game will let you. It doesn't explicitly tell you that so maybe you weren't, those extra gunners and bomb dropped are crucial.

2) It's easier to click on the correct character's portrait on the left than to find them in the plane, it can be hard to click the right thing sometimes. As was suggested before use hotkeys because the clicking can be really fiddly.

3) Once you've survived the first mission, you can redo them before doing the big crucial missions that have different color icons. Doing these again is wise since you can continue upgrading.

4) Raising armor for your characters is good even with speed costs in my opinion. I don't waste anything on survivability since I'm just gonna quit out and try again if the plane goes down. But O2 levels and warmth can be important for going to high altitude where the fighters can't get you.

5) You can replace items in the utility shelf within the plane from the plane menu. In my experience medkits are the most useful, but you'll probably want at least one fire extinguisher on the tougher missions. You can also upgrade the plane to give yourself more utility shelves and even make the shelves hold multiple utility items each.

6) Upgrade your plane's armor all over as soon as you can. Gun upgrades are good too, especially on the rear and upper guns and eventually you'll need engine upgrades to haul everything.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Count Uvula posted:

Don't enemies take like 3x damage from the wrench when frozen with the gloo gun? Seems kinda relevant as to whether the gloo gun is worth using when talking about how little ammo you'll have for all your guns :v:

yes and no your gloo gun ammo is also finite.

but i got really good at it because it was the only ammo type i had a recipe of for a long time :v: i couldn't make the connection in my brain that the password for the pistol ammo blueprint in the security room is the chapter:passage from the psalm on the desk. even though i looked up the solution later, i couldn't hate it because i thought it was really smart!

what a great fuckin game

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Fur20 posted:

yes and no your gloo gun ammo is also finite.

but i got really good at it because it was the only ammo type i had a recipe of for a long time :v: i couldn't make the connection in my brain that the password for the pistol ammo blueprint in the security room is the chapter:passage from the psalm on the desk. even though i looked up the solution later, i couldn't hate it because i thought it was really smart!

what a great fuckin game

I still don't understand how immersive sims aren't the dominant single player action game genre other than the fact that only like one and a half companies can make them even halfway decently.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

I still don't understand how immersive sims aren't the dominant single player action game genre other than the fact that only like one and a half companies can make them even halfway decently.

it's that yeah, if you haven't played one of the half dozen or so perfect games that form the white hot core of the ultimate genre you might not understand! what if someone thinks the outer world is an example of an immersive sim because it has hacking! they wouldn't understand anything :smith:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

someone give me a big asset library, a budget for some minor voice acting, and a meager salary to afford food and lodging for a few years while i gently caress around in unreal engine, and i am pretty convinced i could make an immersive sim at about outer worlds levels lol

prove me wrong by giving me several thousands of dollars and a bunch of expensive software and asset library licenses

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

I'm surprised streamers etc haven't given the genre a big boost in popularity (although let's be honest, it was always niche and is now bigger than it used to be), if they're smart they'll really lean on that angle for Deathloop - emergent chaos seems to be a big part of the secret sauce that helps stuff explode on Twitch, but obviously there's no predicting what takes off.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Anything specifically for Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If you've already played the PS4 Spider-man you probably know all the basics.

It's not very long, and it's intended to be played through at least twice (some stuff only unlocks in new game+)

Some skills are locked behind side-activities so don't skip those.

If you can't figure out the right path to beat a stealth challenge or a race or whatever there's no shame in just youtube-ing it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's probably less a player needs to know for Miles than they do for the first game. About the only thing I'd say is that some side missions beget more side missions. So you might have one icon on the map for a side mission but it'll end up being a chain of missions.

Saint Freak posted:

If you can't figure out the right path to beat a stealth challenge or a race or whatever there's no shame in just youtube-ing it.

Each new skill or upgrade or gadget also tends to make stealth challenges and races way easier. No sense banging your head against the wall for any of them early on.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Anything for Valkyria Chronicles 4? 1-3 all have entries, but nothing for 4.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

ahobday posted:

Anything specifically for Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales?

You can play through the entirety of Sony Interactive's Insomniac presents: Marvel's Spider-Man: MIles Morales on the PS4. Don't do this! The last mission probably looks amazing, but I just got a weird slideshow instead of a videogame!

egg tats fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 20, 2021

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

egg tats posted:

You can play through the entirety of Sony Interactive's Insomniac presents: Marvel's Spider-Man: MIles Morales on the PS4. Don't do this! The last mission probably looks amazing, but I just got a weird slideshow instead of a videogame!

I did it on a launch PS4, it was fine. Your playstation's dyin', cloud.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Braking Gnus posted:

Anything for Valkyria Chronicles 4? 1-3 all have entries, but nothing for 4.

you are expected to use command mode and the apc to solve the various "impossible" situations.
lancers were kinda marginal in VC1 but the above means they can get poo poo done in VC4 and rocketing a tank in the rear end is basically never not a solution.
just like in 1, flamethrowers ignore cover and this is good and a thing you should use
4 has a lot more special/named enemies than 1 did; generally these have such high dodge rates it is essential to use attacks from behind. Bait em with a vehicle they can't damage to get em looking a specific direction and then maneuver assaults in behind.
snipers weren't that great in vc1 but vc4's command mode + apc means it's a lot easier to drag em somewhere useful. there's also anti-materiel rifles as an alt-weapon for snipers that expands their options
mortars (the unit, not the lancer sub-weapon; that thing still mostly sucks) are absolutely amazing and yet another unit that benefits a lot from command mode/apc rides. initially the armor-piercing mortars seem questionable compared to the high-explosive ones but there are times they're the only game in town.
generally this game has much higher CP per turn than VC1. on top of that vehicles use 1 CP instead of 2. this means that even with larger unit sizes and more vehicles, you still have more CP than before; enough that Orders become a lot more practical. Much like command mode and the apc, you're expected to use Orders to solve problems periodically.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

chairface posted:

4 has a lot more special/named enemies than 1 did; generally these have such high dodge rates it is essential to use attacks from behind.

i played through this whole game without realizing you could do this--it's good advice you should listen to, the constantly dodging enemies gets old fast

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Gonna reiterate that Command Mode, where you can have any commander grab a couple people and bring them with them for the turn, is real real good. I didn't use it at all until the last mission because I am tactically unsound but it's very powerful.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm surprised streamers etc haven't given the genre a big boost in popularity (although let's be honest, it was always niche and is now bigger than it used to be), if they're smart they'll really lean on that angle for Deathloop - emergent chaos seems to be a big part of the secret sauce that helps stuff explode on Twitch, but obviously there's no predicting what takes off.
I've been watching youtubers play Half Life 2 lately. You know - the game that was touted in gaming press are really holding your hand regarding what to do and where to go? Playtested to a ludicrous degree?

People who play games for a living have:
Ignored supply crates (literally reading what's written on one - "oh, it's just supplies") for approximately a third of the game (and complained about ammo and health scarcity throughout).
Got lost in the same spots where everyone (or at least I) got lost. Got lost in straight corridors. Still failed to comprehend the basic notion of "you are generally trying to find a way forward" and instead tried to backtrack and find a way to progress behind them, more than halfway through the game.
Broke big crates and were disappointed they didn't contain anything of value more than halfway through the game.
Played through Ravenholm without using the gravity gun (so much for "the design encourages and almost forces you to use the gravity gun as a weapon") completely unintentionally.
Consistently chose one weapon for a fight and stuck with it until it ran out of ammo, regardless of how many enemies they were facing and what distance they were at.

The idea of streamers playing FPS games where you have to think or notice things is a bit laughable.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

How do you even do Ravenholm without the GG? Just rely exclusively on traps and running past the zombies?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Xander77 posted:

I've been watching youtubers play Half Life 2 lately. You know - the game that was touted in gaming press are really holding your hand regarding what to do and where to go? Playtested to a ludicrous degree?

I hope they're entertaining otherwise because what you're describing sounds painful to sit through.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sure it's not a con to drive up viewer interaction by making people yell at them in chat?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xander77 posted:

People who play games for a living have:
Ignored supply crates (literally reading what's written on one - "oh, it's just supplies") for approximately a third of the game (and complained about ammo and health scarcity throughout).
Got lost in the same spots where everyone (or at least I) got lost. Got lost in straight corridors. Still failed to comprehend the basic notion of "you are generally trying to find a way forward" and instead tried to backtrack and find a way to progress behind them, more than halfway through the game.
Broke big crates and were disappointed they didn't contain anything of value more than halfway through the game.
Played through Ravenholm without using the gravity gun (so much for "the design encourages and almost forces you to use the gravity gun as a weapon") completely unintentionally.
Consistently chose one weapon for a fight and stuck with it until it ran out of ammo, regardless of how many enemies they were facing and what distance they were at.

The idea of streamers playing FPS games where you have to think or notice things is a bit laughable.

The Dead Space remaster has this too. The game basically screams at you for 10 minutes to shoot limbs not headshots and streamers were playing through and constantly shooting heads and center mass like it was Gears of War and struggling hard.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There are people who play FPS and don't break everything that they can even once?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I have a hard time remembering everything about the first time I played HL2, but I feel like there are some irritating sequences in the storm drains/sewers that could really put someone off. Not the physics puzzles, but there's a point where you're climbing over scaffolding and every time I've replayed the game even knowing and expecting what's going to happen, the physics consistently bug out and I fall or get stuck and launched into the void and die, and I even have a good idea where I'm trying to get to.
Also that stupid cramped hallway the first time you encounter the flying manhack buzzsaw things, where you're stuck behind a bunch of crates and the manhacks come out of nowhere before you've really had a chance to get used to them. Again, I know what's coming so I just start frantically breaking all the crates, but the first time is disorienting in a bad way, not an immersive way, something about the hallway and the crates feels like "this game is broken and bugging out" not "oh wow this is really evoking a feeling of claustrophobia and terror."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

pentyne posted:

The Dead Space remaster has this too. The game basically screams at you for 10 minutes to shoot limbs not headshots and streamers were playing through and constantly shooting heads and center mass like it was Gears of War and struggling hard.

Thing is, gamers can be real fuckin' dumb as a group. Like, you, playing a game, will likely have maybe one or two moments where you're doing something, and afterwards realize you're doing it all wrong and have a little chuckle. A million average gamers will find a million weak points in a game's mechanical narrative where things go wrong and make even the most streamlined experience look like a garbage pile. And that's the average ones.

All Valve did was reveal this fact.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Anyone have anything for Tainted Grail Conquest? Kinda dig the gameplay but it feels like I'm doing something very wrong and every run I run into some bullshit that tanks it

It's heavy on the metaprogression.

Bump up your town, the candlemaker is a core asset and he can put the rest on your minimap. Find him in a house in the wyrd. High candles give you free cards during combat that wreck shop and you won't get far anyway, live fast and die having saved folks. Get a quest from the lost soul and put in the effort for it, the rewards are bonkers. Take deckthinning when you can. You'll feel it when you start getting a winning run going, the game is not shy with the rewards.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Maybe it’s just me, but the streamers I watch are frankly bad at most games and that’s why they are fun to watch. Well, that and watching chat explode as folks try to get the streamer to notice the giant red button or whatever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I find most streamers infuriating to watch because they don't examine every last object in the environment, never fully explore the dialogue trees, only go down the critical path in the main story, and interrupt all the cool dramatic moments with shout-outs to their supporters. It's anti-gaming.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Reminds me of trying to watch Maximillian's Bloodborne halloween stream that was just constant interruptions of people donating money.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sure it's not a con to drive up viewer interaction by making people yell at them in chat?
I watched a YouTube guy taking a "would you rather this or that" quiz and when one option was like "be invisible or have access to anything the Acme Corporation produces" he chose invisibility and when saw the Acme option had like 70% support angrily was like "WOW A LOT OF DUMB PEOPLE WOULD RATHER HAVE ALL THE CELERY THEY WANT THAN BE INVISIBLE" (Acme is also a regional grocery store if you were wondering)

exquisite tea posted:

I find most streamers infuriating to watch because they don't examine every last object in the environment, never fully explore the dialogue trees, only go down the critical path in the main story, and interrupt all the cool dramatic moments with shout-outs to their supporters. It's anti-gaming.
Are you surprised that people who decide to constantly intentionally interrupt their own gaming with people talking to them are not as dedicated to immersion as you or I? I would say all streamers must be extroverts but I bet that is not true at all. I mean poo poo I have nearly all non-emergency notifications on my phone off, I cannot imagine someone interrupting my game with Rick Astley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Anyone have anything for Tainted Grail Conquest? Kinda dig the gameplay but it feels like I'm doing something very wrong and every run I run into some bullshit that tanks it

One of the main things while playing is figuring out how a class wants to operate and going with it. For example, the Wyrdhunter wants to hit hard and fast, so you will want to build your deck towards that goal. Since his ult scales with how many hits you do, using cards like Small Strikes is really useful for that particular class. Eventually you will want to stop taking cards and actively remove cards from your deck. For example, you can get rid of a basic attack once you get some better options in your deck.

Also pay attention to what runes you use and for what class. For example, Gar is great for the Wyrdhunter as it builds his ult and also applies stacks towards Vulnerable, but it's not as good for other classes.

Stun is very powerful as is Duplication. Knowing when to time these effects and on which cards will make a lot of difference.

A couple tips for Yakuza 7 Like a Dragon:

Don't sleep on the mini-games, some of them provide some really good early game gear. The Golf mini-games are repeatable and the rewards are quite good. The Illegal Boots are very strong early game armor.

Likewise, you can get some great equipment early on at the Batting Center. Using the Serenity Bat will help even though you get less points.

Can Quest has some items/materials that are hard to find elsewhere, keep some points handy.

Later on once you get some money in your pocket, you can save-scum the Casino and Gambling Hall.